Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Managerial sackings, comings and goings

Comments

• Options
    Chelsea are a joke of a club. Such delusions of grandeur about them
  • Options
    They finished 4th last year then spent £220m in the summer.  I don't think it's unreasonable to view 9th (10th if Southampton draw or win their game in hand) as not good enough. 
  • Options
    They finished 4th last year then spent £220m in the summer.  I don't think it's unreasonable to view 9th (10th if Southampton draw or win their game in hand) as not good enough. 
    My comment is more how they sack managers in general. Nobody is ever given time to build anything there. It's win a trophy or be sacked. Also interesting to know how many of those summer signings were made at Lampard's request.
  • Options
    Not really a surprise, Abramovich doesn't hang about. Spent 220m in the summer and they've got worse
  • Options
    Do you think he has too many players and doesn't know what his best side/formation is and where to get the best from players?

He has to decide on this and who his preferred players are but keeps chopping and changing to keep everyone happy. Giroud was out the side a few weeks ago and was complaining in the press, next he's back in the side and now out of it again.

• Options
    iaitch said:
    Do you think he has too many players and doesn't know what his best side/formation is and where to get the best from players?

He has to decide on this and who his preferred players are but keeps chopping and changing to keep everyone happy. Giroud was out the side a few weeks ago and was complaining in the press, next he's back in the side and now out of it again.

Possibly but no manager is ever going to complain because he has too many options.

I think the main issue is they signed a lot of players from abroad and you can't expect them all to gel immediately, especially when they're not used to English football. Werner said after 1-2 games that the premier league was much tougher than the bundesliga.

Salah at Liverpool and Fernandes at United are the obvious examples of players who've needed no time to adjust, but they were just 1 player coming into a team. Chelsea have had Thiago Silva, Ziyech, Werner, Havertz, Mendy getting used to a new league and style of play all at the same time. 

• Options
    Games in hand aside, five points off a Champions League place with half the season left, in the last 16 of this years CL and through to the 5th round of the FA cup. Ridiculous decision.  
  • Options
    iaitch said:

agree with this .. signing the two Germans for huge fees was signing a striker (or two) too many .. he also kept switching his defenders around, never finding the best combination .. shades of Bowyer, too many strikers (but still tool few goals) and too few decent defenders
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Not really a surprise, Abramovich doesn't hang about. Spent 220m in the summer and they've got worse
    This.  Last season was a grace period for him what with being unable to move in the transfer market. He couldn’t really fail. He’s made bit of a hash of it this season. Signed some good players but none of them (maybe barring chilwell) have showed any real promise. He signed players that they didn’t really need. 
    That said, he probably should have been given more time to get it all to gel. The Chelsea job is bit of a poisoned chalice. Abramovich is like a kid who has had his sweets taken away. £110m on sacking managers.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MattF said:
    Interesting snuppet from The Athletic, one of the reasons for Lampard's sacking being given as "the dressing room felt manager showed no empathy and were hurt by his public criticism."
    So Frank has "lost the dressing room" after publicly criticised his players. And doesn't have a settled side, and is constantly changing his side and formation...
  • Options
    Games in hand aside, five points off a Champions League place with half the season left, in the last 16 of this years CL and through to the 5th round of the FA cup. Ridiculous decision.  
    Spend a fortune in the summer. 11 points behind Man U, 9 behind Leicester, even 3 points behind West Ham having played the same number of games

Played 2 more games than Villa and Everton

• Options
    Similarities with the Bowyer situation.

Back against the wall and worked wonders with a depleted squad.
    Gets some decent resources and after a sound start, things start going tits.

Abarmovic blinked.
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Interesting snuppet from The Athletic, one of the reasons for Lampard's sacking being given as "the dressing room felt manager showed no empathy and were hurt by his public criticism."
    Imagine being a grown man, earning 200k a week, playing shit then getting upset because the manager said you'd played shit. Bless their poor little souls, all they needed was a hug and a cup of tea.
    Ferguson just threw the cup of tea at them, in private of course...

The sad truth is players not doing their job get managers sacked. Perhaps the players should be paid on results. No result,  no pay.
    The extent people will go to defend Fat Frank: essentially legalising slavery
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Lampard done well with young English players last season.

Struggled when big foreign names came in this year.

FA love people like Lampard and Gerrard.

Lampard has 6 months off and occasionally in the Sky Studio then replaced Southgate after the Euros
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    iaitch said:

agree with this .. signing the two Germans for huge fees was signing a striker (or two) too many .. he also kept switching his defenders around, never finding the best combination .. shades of Bowyer, too many strikers (but still tool few goals) and too few decent defenders
    Werner was a mistake - Leipzig were completely set up around his pace, Chelsea won't be.

Havertz I think has more of a chance of coming good there.
  • Options
    Since taking over Chelsea Abramovich has spent £110m on manager payoffs. 
    That’s before he’s sacked Lampard
    Nice work if you can get it.

Fail, big pay off, probably get a job elsewhere....
    That sums up football in general, not just Chelsea.
  • Options
    The other thing is, Chelsea probably needed to act now to get Tuchel, who is a massive upgrade on Lampard, and was treated even worse by PSG 
  • Options
    Interesting to see if Lampard just leaves it as that and disappears to a relaxing retirement now. The Chelsea job should have been what he worked up to over years and years, now he's already done it, difficult to see what he'd work towards now. Seems pointless just to manage for the sake of it now. Unless he carries on in lower league and returns to Chelsea again in 5 years or so. 
    I could easily see him sticking to MOTD work etc, easy job, decent pay, bright bloke who comes across well etc.

But then I've got a feeling that he's young enough to fancy another go at management, and I think he could get another Premier League job, bottom half team.
    Newcastle??
  • Options
    robroy said:
    Gillingham or Southend next for Harris 
    Have nothing but respect for Harris as a player and a bloke, but unfortunately, as a manager, that’s about his level. 
    some managers only suit one club, usually where they have played and have a nice comfy history .. Harris I suspect is one of those as is Bowyer ? .. I suspect so
    Chris Powell?

His record as a manager since leaving us isn't great and it's notable that he's now head coach at Spurs' academy, somewhere where he can offer a lot without the pressure and tactical decision making of being a 1st team manager
    Cannot believe the merry go round continues with Mick McCarthy as the new manager. Does make me wonder how or why he got the job.
    Playing poor football is the reason why Ipswich sacked him.
    Spent just two months at Apoel in Cyprus,so assume that job didn't go well.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Since taking over Chelsea Abramovich has spent £110m on manager payoffs. 
    That’s before he’s sacked Lampard
    Nice work if you can get it.

Fail, big pay off, probably get a job elsewhere....
    That sums up football in general, not just Chelsea.
    It may sum up football, but Chelsea won't be weakened by this.
  • Options
    Interesting to see if Lampard just leaves it as that and disappears to a relaxing retirement now. The Chelsea job should have been what he worked up to over years and years, now he's already done it, difficult to see what he'd work towards now. Seems pointless just to manage for the sake of it now. Unless he carries on in lower league and returns to Chelsea again in 5 years or so. 
    I could easily see him sticking to MOTD work etc, easy job, decent pay, bright bloke who comes across well etc.

But then I've got a feeling that he's young enough to fancy another go at management, and I think he could get another Premier League job, bottom half team.
    Newcastle??

Can't see it.

Was thinking more a Fulham/Brighton type job, not necessarily them but that sort of level (and not owned by Mike Ashley!).
  • Options

Newcastle??

Can't see it.

Was thinking more a Fulham/Brighton type job, not necessarily them but that sort of level (and not owned by Mike Ashley!).
    Palace, when the owners decide they want someone "a big name" to replace Hodgson...
  • Options
    Possibly, yeah.
  • Options

Newcastle??

Can't see it.

I can't see Frank Jnr getting another prem job any tine soon .. his Derby job was a bit of a  publicity stunt/punt as was the Chelsea job to a certain extent .. Abramovich was having visa/residence problems in the UK and perhaps appointing an English manager who was also a Chelsea 'legend' was a great idea at the time to curry favour and also to develop English young talent in the time of the transfer ban. The managerial side didn't work out well.
    I am/was a BIG fan of Frank as a player and as a man, BUT great players do not usually make great managers. I can see him on Sky/BT/Amazon/BBC as a pundit for quite a while or less likely as a manager/coach in the USA or somewhere nice and warm
  • Options
    I'm not so sure, think it may be seen as did a good job at Derby, got the Chelsea job, did OK until the last month or so....

People kept employing Mark Hughes, Pardew etc, Lampard will get a Premier League job if he wants one.
  • Options
    Spend a fortune in the summer. 11 points behind Man U, 9 behind Leicester, even 3 points behind West Ham having played the same number of games

Played 2 more games than Villa and Everton

Three points behind West Ham, good god, however can they make that up over 19 games. Silly old me...  :D   
  • Options
    They don’t get a great rep, but it’s been pretty nice to see Chelsea fans being so overwhelmingly opposed to the Lampard sacking