Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Managerial sackings, comings and goings

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Rothko said:
    He needs to do something about his transfer dealings, Lermer was £25m, Solanki £19m, Rico £13.5, £12m for Chris Mepham and then this year £16m on Danjuma and £13m on Lloyd Kelly. That's a lot of shit brought for a lot of money, and I suspect Howe made the call on all of them
    Are they his decisions though or as we've seen from "Sunderland Till I Die" is that the fault of the board? - Take the Will Grigg fiasco for example

Eddie Howe will surely just go to them with his transfer targets and those with the actual money will do the negotiating - I remember from Curbishley's book that it was Richard Murray who dealt with Grimsby when we tried to get Clive Mendonca and Curbs was actually on holiday when those talks happened

Even in our case now its Gallen who makes the financial decisions (transfer fees / wages etc.), Bowyer just confirms if he wants the player or not and goes along to help sway the player

Seems to be a common perception (Maybe from Football Manager I dont know) that the Manager will simply be given a war chest and will be allowed to do what they want

In this situation I imagine the way it becomes Howe's fault is if the board go back to him and say they couldnt do a deal only for Howe to put pressure on them to state that whoever they're after would be an important signing etc. Even then though the board can still put their foot down if they want and say no surely?
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    He needs to do something about his transfer dealings, Lermer was £25m, Solanki £19m, Rico £13.5, £12m for Chris Mepham and then this year £16m on Danjuma and £13m on Lloyd Kelly. That's a lot of shit brought for a lot of money, and I suspect Howe made the call on all of them
    Not to mention Brad Smith for £6m who ended up on loan in the MLS and Jordon Ibe £19m and has been released. 
    I think there's some merit in the argument he was better at putting a team together that was greater than the sum of its parts but in addition to the "flops" signed above he also signed David Brooks, Ramsdale, Ake, Wilson, Cook, etc. and turned them into established Premier League or International level players. 
  • Options
    all managers signing can be dissected to make him look good or bad.

bowyer signed hemed!!!

bowyer signed Lockyer, Matthews, Bonne, cullern etc

depends how you want to read it
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53628740

Fair analysis of Eddie Howe in this BBC article. Good that it mentions the FFP fine and the Russian owner too
  • Options
    No doubt Howe did well for them. 

The question is could he replicate that elsewhere. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Not to mention Brad Smith for £6m who ended up on loan in the MLS and Jordon Ibe £19m and has been released. 
    I think there's some merit in the argument he was better at putting a team together that was greater than the sum of its parts but in addition to the "flops" signed above he also signed David Brooks, Ramsdale, Ake, Wilson, Cook, etc. and turned them into established Premier League or International level players. 
    Our ex-player Harry Arter too, signed him for 4k from Woking, ended up a premier league and international player. Ryan Fraser for 400k, again ended up a premier league and international player.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    No doubt Howe did well for them. 

The question is could he replicate that elsewhere. 
    Didn’t at Burnley 
  • Options
    Leam Richardson has been named the new Wigan Manager

Was the Assistant Manager under Paul Cook
  • Options
    Leam Richardson has been named the new Wigan Manager

Was the Assistant Manager under Paul Cook
    Not quite, he has been put in charge of the 1st team when they return for pre season, he has not been appointed on a permanent basis.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lots of rumours that Bristol City have offered the job to assistant Dean Holden
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53704982

Jason Tindall appointed Bournemouth manager
  • Options
    Been a bit unlucky on the face of it, sacked by Chelsea despite qualifying for the Champions League, then sacked by Juve after winning the league.

Though the league is easy for Juve I guess and the Champs Lge is everything. 
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53763244

Vladimir Ivic looks like becoming this month's Watford manager
  • Options

He looks cheery!
  • Options

Managers from the Israeli League are so 2015!!
  • Options
    Mark Molesley has become the new Southend boss after leaving Weymouth
  • Options
    Can he only manage coastal teams?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iaitch said:
    Can he only manage coastal teams?
    Well his previous roles were with Bournemouth as U15 and U21 Manager so in answer to your question... ;)
  • Options
    Thank you.
  • Options

He looks cheery!
    He’s just had a walk around Watford. 
  • Options
    Setien sacked by Barcelona

Allardyce 2-1
    Pardew 8-1
    Curbishley 16-1
    Bowyer £750k. 
  • Options
    Mark Molesley has become the new Southend boss after leaving Weymouth
    Boo
  • Options
    Koeman a near certainty to take over at Barcelona .. after his great success at Everton ((:>) .. how does he keep getting jobs at top kloobs ?
  • Options
    He's a Dutch version of old big nose.
  • Options
    Koeman a near certainty to take over at Barcelona .. after his great success at Everton ((:>) .. how does he keep getting jobs at top kloobs ?
    He has done well with Netherlands.
  • Options
    Being a Barcelona legend helps, but he's done well with Holland.

Not sure it'll make much difference who takes over though. They have an ageing squad, don't have much money to spend and with their Presidential election taking place in March, it's almost a certainty that the new President will want to employ his own manager.

But in the interim at least Koeman will know how best to play De Jong (as Valverde and Setien didn't), and he'll clear out some of the older players. It might even mean a lifeline for Coutinho too.