Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Managerial sackings, comings and goings

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

They were 7th and only 3 points off of 3rd.

I’d forgotten how well they were doing!
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Only 28 of the 92 clubs have a manager with more than 2 years service.
    Only 14 of the 92 clubs have a manager with more than 3 years service.
    Only 9 of the 92 clubs have a manager with more than 5 years service.
    Only 3 of the 92 clubs have a manager with more than 6 years service.
    Only 2 of the 92 clubs have a manager with more than 11 years service.
    Only 1 of the 92 clubs have a manager with more than 20 years service, for now at least
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

They were 7th and only 3 points off of 3rd.

I’d forgotten how well they were doing!
    They also won the last game he was in charge too!
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Cotteril gone from Birmingham.

Sacking Rowett such a good plan

Cotterill is yet another bloke who has had nearly as many clubs as Jack Nicklaus and continues to find some mug Chairman to employ him.
    Not just Cotterill though is it. You could draw a line through his name in your sentence and insert any number of managers names who get regularly sacked and muggy chairmen re-employ them.

You're right and that's why I said 'yet another' Mike. I trust you got back safe and sound and not affected too much by the jet lag and severe drop in temperature :wink:
    Ha, ha don’t even go there. I am laying in bed at 6.15am on a Sunday morning wide awake. The only upside is it looks liked we missed the worst of the cold weather as it has turned milder now.
  • Options
    Again seems like Birmingham been planning behind Cotteril's back

Monk already appointed
  • Options
    Clotet comes back as his assistant, after his brief spell at Oxford.

It's still very tight down there, even Sunderland are only 4 points off safety
  • Options

I’m amazed Cotteril still gets work. He has not had much success anywhere recently.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

I’m amazed Cotteril still gets work. He has not had much success anywhere recently.
    Did well getting Bristol City back into the Championship...

Got them on 99-pts to win League One which probably makes him such a tempting choice of Manager
  • Options

Again seems like Birmingham been planning behind Cotteril's back

Monk already appointed

Its not the classy way of doing things but it seems the sensible way these days

Look at us when went three months with Fraeye because we sacked our Manager without thinking first

Same with Stoke and Everton this season, they went a good few games because they sacked their Manager without secretly hiring someone new

Unfortunately its better to look bad as a Football club than throwing away points because the wrong Caretaker is in charge
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Monk is a moron and I hope (and suspect he will) succeed in bringing the Blues to League One.

In less than 12 months Monk has managed to do the following to his resume...

- This time a year ago was very well liked by Leeds fans
    - New owner arrives and immediately triggers Monk's contractual one year extension
    - Monk demands a new contract with more money and when he does not get it, leaves in a huff
    - Goes to Middlesbrough and wastes £50M on transfers
    - Team does not improve
    - Sacked after 26 matches
    - Hired by the most incompetent management in The Championship because it's the only people who are willing to hire him.

He had a really good future and has basically has thrown it down the toilet in less than one years time because a new owner did not change a contract he had himself signed less than a year before. That takes skill!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You could spin it on its head and look at where Leeds are without Gary Monk?

Their season hasn't been helped by the fact they lost Chris Wood at the end of the August Window, yet they surely should have had a replacement lined up (not to mention the fact they had a further nine days and extra £15m to try and find that replacement once he'd gone)

Middlesbrough was always going to be a tough job seeing he had to pick the players up after relegation - You could say he didnt do a lot wrong there either, left 'Boro in 9th (on 23rd December) and whilst Pulis has now got them into the Play-Offs, this is the first week he's managed it after they've spent the last two months hovering between 8th and 9th!!
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    That may all be correct, but for me it comes down to this....

Monk was managing (and very well liked) at one of the biggest named clubs in the world and walked away from new ownership whose stability was far better than the nutjob who hired him.

Now he is at one of the worst managed clubs in England with an owner who might be in a gulag for all we know, that no one on planet Earth outside England has ever heard of (or cares about) and is probably destined for League One in the Midlands.

If I were a manager, I would rather be in the former.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Cotterill is yet another bloke who has had nearly as many clubs as Jack Nicklaus and continues to find some mug Chairman to employ him.
    He was Murray's first choice to replace Dowie, but for some reason it didn't happen.

• Options
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/5737437/patrick-kluivert-oxford-manager/

Yet another bizarre big name linked with the Oxford job!
  • Options
    Mauricio Pellegrino gone.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Not surprising, the way they played on Saturday, and with their position in the table. But is it too late?
  • Options
    Fingers crossed for a new manager bounce for them!
  • Options
    I think that's 9 Prem teams that have changed Managers this season. Surely a record?
  • Options
    Riviera said:

I think that's 9 Prem teams that have changed Managers this season. Surely a record?

And Pardew's only still at WBA because they feel that they are already down & getting rid now would just be more money down the drain.
  • Options

Riviera said:

Not surprising, the way they played on Saturday, and with their position in the table. But is it too late?
    I believe the only team in the last twenty years who have stayed up after getting a new manager this late is Sunderland. Twice.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1 win in 17. Ouch.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Walsall boss has now been sacked whilst Swindon have hired Phil Brown after David Flitcroft took over @ Mansfield
  • Options

Riviera said:

I believe the only team in the last twenty years who have stayed up after getting a new manager this late is Sunderland. Twice.
    yep, Di Canio and Advocaat.

• Options
    Just waiting for Robinson to appear on this thread.
  • Options

Walsall boss has now been sacked whilst Swindon have hired Phil Brown after David Flitcroft took over @ Mansfield

Swindon's 9th manager in 7 years, it's amazing how short a time managers get, even away from clubs owned by weirdo foreign owners...

Slightly sad for Whitney. Walsall played attractive football, but were (like us) a bit of a soft touch
  • Options
    Mark Hughes looks like one of the favourites for the Southampton job

Might want to hold off on hoping for that new Manager bounce...
  • Options

It does make me laugh when managers keep getting recycled. When Pardew turned up at West Brom I laughed my socks off.

• Options
    agim said:

It does make me laugh when managers keep getting recycled. When Pardew turned up at West Brom I laughed my socks off.

This. 100 times over.

It is unbelievable how the same managers keep being linked with jobs. Then they get another job and balls it up. Again. But never mind, some other mug will be along soon to give them another chance.

Until finally, the penny drops with Chairmen and they do finally fall off the managerial roundabout. I reckon that could finally happen to Pardew this time when he is sacked from West Brom.

Why don't Chairmen give young, promising managers a chance for a change?
  • Options

agim said:

This. 100 times over.

It is unbelievable how the same managers keep being linked with jobs. Then they get another job and balls it up. Again. But never mind, some other mug will be along soon to give them another chance.

Until finally, the penny drops with Chairmen and they do finally fall off the managerial roundabout. I reckon that could finally happen to Pardew this time when he is sacked from West Brom.

Why don't Chairmen give young, promising managers a chance for a change?
    I think they see it as a risk. Managers like Hughes, Big Sam, Pulis are seen as a safe pair of hands so to speak. Pardew was in that group a few years ago but the WBA job might be the final nail in the coffin!
    If I was in charge at Southampton I'd be chucking my money at Tuchel the ex Dortmund manager. He's someone not out of their reach and big things are expected of him.
  • Options
    Southampton should give Les Reed the role as a caretaker manager.