Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

We hate Millwall but.........

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2016

• Options
    down to the council & they voted 6-1 in favour - so tough s**t

I suggest if the millwall fans don't like it then they should form a political party & stand in the next local elections............
  • Options

Doesn't hang well with me. West Ham who have a premier league income of + £100m a year are virtually given a free stadium and get additional funding from the local council, whilst little ol' Millwall who are totally skint, are screwed by their local council and developers. It could so easily be us being shafted.

How are they being screwed? The ground that was built is on land they rent from the council and will still be there after the development with a few hundred more potential supporters. All that Millwall football club appear to be "losing" is a car park, which is on land they do not own but do currently rent. Although I suspect they get revenue from other areas they currently rent and it is probably this loss of income they are worried about. Or, put it another way, they have preferential lease agreement on other land and make money because of that and pocket the proceeds and don't want to lose it. Not sharing that, are they?

The new proposals offer a "major sports village ", a new 'overground' underground station, two new bus routes, a new park, new housing and 2000 jobs.

The bright side for us is that they will probably never be able to develop into a bigger club than us unless they move home. Something they have done at least 6 times I think so no great history lost - especially given their current crap concrete shit hole.

Let's face it, Millwall are only upset because they want to buy the land cheap a develop it themselves to make money.

I agree the relationship between the developers and the council looks a bit on the dodgy side, but less so than the OS which they could not be bothered to join in protesting against. Nobody does like them which is unfortunate for them at the moment. If they do disappear, pehaps the best memory that could be applied to their club to give it a worthwhile place in history is that the experience was used to alert clubs to the dangers and maybe even a law to protect clubs.
  • Options
    Millwall wanted to develop land themselves that would have given them an additional income stream, or a financial pay out to their chairman.

They won't get that now if this goes ahead. They will get the potential benefit of thousands of new homes in their immediate area and big infrastructure improvements to the area, should they exploit it correctly.

This is not the death of the club / new Den that some are painting this to be
  • Options
    yeah but who the f**k would want to live on top of that ground !
  • Options

Council voted 6 to 1 to agree CPO.

Average wage £27,000 in Lewisham. Can't see any of them being able to afford these properties.

Surely almost everyone could? It's a site next door to a nasty football club with ultra violent fans meaning 20+ days a year are going to be very unpleasant indeed. And then their other neighbour is the unsightly waste incinerator plant chucking out who knows what in the way of toxins.

In this case, every home will be "affordable" because anyone with any money and half a brain would give it a great big swerve. And that's without even considering the noise issues from the fact the site is virtually surrounded by railway lines and industrial sites.

No one but the desperate would want to live their.

Suddenly even Stoke's £1 house scheme seems attractive.
  • Options

Millwall wanted to develop land themselves that would have given them an additional income stream, or a financial pay out to their chairman.

They won't get that now if this goes ahead. They will get the potential benefit of thousands of new homes in their immediate area and big infrastructure improvements to the area, should they exploit it correctly.

I don't think it is either...unless of course Lewisham see the land we sit on as a gold mine and CPO it....people are also worried about the impact on matchday operations when construction starts and whether it gives Lewisham OB in cahoots with lewisham to refuse us a safety cert and slowly kill us. A bit far fetched perhaps, but who knows.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafcfan said:

Council voted 6 to 1 to agree CPO.

Average wage £27,000 in Lewisham. Can't see any of them being able to afford these properties.

Surely almost everyone could? It's a site next door to a nasty football club with ultra violent fans meaning 20+ days a year are going to be very unpleasant indeed. And then their other neighbour is the unsightly waste incinerator plant chucking out who knows what in the way of toxins.

In this case, every home will be "affordable" because anyone with any money and half a brain would give it a great big swerve. And that's without even considering the noise issues from the fact the site is virtually surrounded by railway lines and industrial sites.

No one but the desperate would want to live their.

Suddenly even Stoke's £1 house scheme seems attractive.
    Trust me, no - they were massively overpriced at £1.
  • Options

I don't think it is either...unless of course Lewisham see the land we sit on as a gold mine and CPO it....people are also worried about the impact on matchday operations when construction starts and whether it gives Lewisham OB in cahoots with lewisham to refuse us a safety cert and slowly kill us. A bit far fetched perhaps, but who knows.
    I know you want support but this is so far fetched it just confirms what a weak case you have.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Off_it said:

I think the real problem for Millwall might be if Berylson was only involved in Millwall because he knew the area had development potential and wanted a piece of the action. If he's not getting any of that action then why would he hang about? That's gotta be the big concern for them.

Can any of our Millwall "chums" cast any light on his reasons for buying into the club in the first place? Is it on public record?

Buying a football club and chucking away £10million a year doesn't sound like the actions of a shrewd business man to me, unless of course it's all part of some wider plan.

Are they all crying in their beer somewhere?
    Still nothing.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Off_it said:

Off_it said:

I think the real problem for Millwall might be if Berylson was only involved in Millwall because he knew the area had development potential and wanted a piece of the action. If he's not getting any of that action then why would he hang about? That's gotta be the big concern for them.

Can any of our Millwall "chums" cast any light on his reasons for buying into the club in the first place? Is it on public record?

Buying a football club and chucking away £10million a year doesn't sound like the actions of a shrewd business man to me, unless of course it's all part of some wider plan.

Are they all crying in their beer somewhere?
    Still nothing.
    They were protesting outside the Council building yesterday. Tampa fucked off and left two Spanners to cover the night shift. Within half an hour they started fighting amongst themselves and got carted off to the OB shop. You couldn't make it up? Well I just did...
  • Options
    Spannerland...

• Options
    Where's your carpark gone, where's your carpark gone ?
  • Options
    Room for cars between the back of the stand and the rail line, all is not lost. Hurrah!
  • Options
    Don't know what they are moaning about, still plenty of room for synchronised pavement dancing and one of those new enclosed corner bits on the Toolbox could house the world renowned flat cap and Lacoste tracksuit museum!
  • Options
    Yep

Fuck em
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

So after this gets built, the football club will find itself hemmed in by a smart new community development, new tube station a stones throw from the turnstiles, new retail outlets and upwards of 2000 new homes.

What on earth is not to like. The community trust moves office. The football club take up one ? of the retail outlets and take advantage of the opportunities just like anyone else. It will replace exactly what that is so fantastic ? A car park and land that is in general industrial in nature providing the football club with nothing but desolate space around the stadium.

How this is being sold as CPO of " Millwall" land and a threat to the club is beyond me. It's a real opportunity for the club to really be part of the community and sell itself as a smart neighbourhood club and lose the image that it currently has.

As a casual observer who on the whole wishes Millwall FC nothing but ill it seems to me that Lady Luck has smiled.

Still. Always the victim.

Always the victim??? Jesus mate, we aren't Liverpool!!

• Options

Fingers crossed

:wink:
  • Options
    Not sure what to make of all of this but one thing I do know, is that if Greenwich council had the chance to fuck us over, they'd do it pronto.
  • Options
    IAIA
    edited September 2016
    What subject? At best, it's a rambling collection of anecdotes.

At least it mentions at the end that Millwall FC want to build housing on the land too.
  • Options
    IA said:

At least it mentions at the end that Millwall FC want to build housing on the land too.
    Disagree, I think it's a strong op-ed piece, it gives a history of the club and the area as an outline as to why the club should have in its future.

Really like Barney Ronay, even if he's Millwall. He wrote a fantastic piece about us a few months back:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/apr/22/aston-villa-charlton-athletic-owners-relegated
  • Options

At least they will now get the multi faith centre that the club has been crying out for.
    I heard a certain Prince Fred regular by the initials of TT was over the moon.
    Haha. Indeed H. Only just seen this.
  • Options

Not sure what to make of all of this but one thing I do know, is that if Greenwich council had the chance to fuck us over, they'd do it pronto.

I'm not convinced that's actually true.

The club have a decent relationship with RBG and Charltons Community Trust is a shining light nationally some of which is reflected onto the borough.

Perhaps more significantly is that the local politicians are very mindful that they have been on the wrong end of a bloody nose once before. It would be as least as damaging for them again should the need arise.

• Options
    SDAddick said:

IA said:

Disagree, I think it's a strong op-ed piece, it gives a history of the club and the area as an outline as to why the club should have in its future.

Really like Barney Ronay, even if he's Millwall. He wrote a fantastic piece about us a few months back:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/apr/22/aston-villa-charlton-athletic-owners-relegated
    The Millwall article gives zero information about how it "could threaten the club's basic operations" (quote from sub-heading) and almost nothing about the project itself. Instead it's filled with fluff and misinformation and pretending the club's history doesn't exist. If the developers are "offshore" then what is Berylson? It might be ok as an article to go along with extensive coverage of a story but it is not informative in itself.

Anyway, it says that MFC want to build on the affected land anyway so it gives enough relevant information for me.