Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

We hate Millwall but.........

Comments

• Options
    Seems not all of Lewisham Labour councillors are behind the plans, though the actual CPO decision gets made tonight.
    http://www.southwarknews.co.uk/news/opposition-plans-compulsory-purchase-order-millwall-land-grows-lewisham-labour-councillors-back-motion-opposing/
  • Options
    so they sell the land it gets regenerated and the den stays how it is?.
  • Options
    Forcibly sell Millwall land ? Thought you owned fuck all of the land. Makes it a slightly different scenario don't you think ?

• Options

Forcibly sell Millwall land ? Thought you owned fuck all of the land. Makes it a slightly different scenario don't you think ?

It's like raaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiin............

Poor wording in the article. We lease the land, as @Sparrows Lane Lion alluded to.
  • Options

Poor wording in the article. We lease the land, as @Sparrows Lane Lion alluded to.
    Or spin to infer that the land is Millwalls and not already owned by the Council ?

What will sway this is the 400 homes versus 2400 homes.

• Options

Or spin to infer that the land is Millwalls and not already owned by the Council ?

Why would it be spin when it's common knowledge that the land owners are Lewisham council.

I believe they used the wording they did due to us having the long lease in place.

Alternatively you could be right and everyone is trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes due to the involvement of everyone's favourite football club. Nah, me neither.
  • Options

Why would it be spin when it's common knowledge that the land owners are Lewisham council.

I believe they used the wording they did due to us having the long lease in place.

Alternatively you could be right and everyone is trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes due to the involvement of everyone's favourite football club. Nah, me neither.
    Well language is used for a reason. If that's the standard of reporting and there is not an attempt to twist the reality it's pretty poor.

• Options

Wrong. Millwall want to develop as part of the overall Renewal plans (which are then sold off as plots to developers).

So Millwall could deliver their portion of the scheme, which includes affordable housing and a promise to share profits with Lewisham, and Renewal can deliver their 2,000 homes across all the other plots of land they already own.
  • Options

Wrong. Millwall want to develop as part of the overall Renewal plans (which are then sold off as plots to developers).

So Millwall could deliver their portion of the scheme, which includes affordable housing and a promise to share profits with Lewisham, and Renewal can deliver their 2,000 homes across all the other plots of land they already own.
    So what was stopping Millwall entering into the bidding ? Serious question.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Well language is used for a reason. If that's the standard of reporting and there is not an attempt to twist the reality it's pretty poor.

English press/journalism in 'being a bit sh*t' shocker.
  • Options

Nobody knew the land was being sold off until it had already happened.
  • Options
    but this has been going on for years hasn't it ? I heard God knows how many years ago that the council wanted to sell off the land around The New Den. Are you saying the football club didn't know and weren't very proactive in making sure their views were considered or have their views been completely ignored ? If so what was the reason ?
  • Options

The parcels of land haven't been made available to bid. Millwall submitted high level plans and were ignored.

Lewisham are now claiming Millwall could have made a bid at any time, but it's a bit murkier than that, considering Renewal have been quietly buying up small plots for a decade or more.

From a selfish point of view, Millwall have probably cocked up their own property dreams by being too naive in the devious world of property development.

From a taxpayer point of view, things don't appear to add up and too much is cloak & dagger.

As a personal view, as long as the club and MCT is safeguarded, a few thousand professionals living on the doorstep and a "sporting excellence culture" right around our club SHOULD bode well if the club can exploit it properly.

• Options

The parcels of land haven't been made available to bid. Millwall submitted high level plans and were ignored.

Lewisham are now claiming Millwall could have made a bid at any time, but it's a bit murkier than that, considering Renewal have been quietly buying up small plots for a decade or more.

From a selfish point of view, Millwall have probably cocked up their own property dreams by being too naive in the devious world of property development.

From a taxpayer point of view, things don't appear to add up and too much is cloak & dagger.

As a personal view, as long as the club and MCT is safeguarded, a few thousand professionals living on the doorstep and a "sporting excellence culture" right around our club SHOULD bode well if the club can exploit it properly.

Thanks.

Has anyone from the supporters groups tried FOI requests to look at what went on between the Council and Millwall ? Too late now it seems to me but it might throw some light on why the club were ignored or were incompetent ?

• Options
    Playing the Devil's advocate here,

You know me, I find it difficult to say anything good about the Spanners... BUT

Berylson seems a decent owner (well, compared to our three ringed Belgian circus). He seems to an outsider to be quite a shrewd businessman and I guess a long term supporter. There is no way on God's green earth that he would of bought into Millwall without the inkling that he could make a buck or twenty million. I would of expected him to be tight with Lewisham anyway, has he fallen out with them? Lewisham are after all the same people who "gave" you a stadium on land that you have "preferentially" leased for 20 odd years.

I do not understand how palms have not been greased, or have you just been "out- greased"?
  • Options

kafka said:

IT_Andy said:

Having looked at the link, it doesn't indicate the football stadium is being sold, only some land surrounding it. As in a carpark and a community building.

They're not getting forced out of the den though. I wish people would read up on things before signing a "what a great supporter I am" petition.

We aren't getting forced out true. But we lease those areas. I believe on a 999 year lease. Our operations on those parcels of land will cease. Our plans to redevelop those parcels of land have been disregarded. The council are forcing through CPO's and selling them off at a tenth of their the developmental value.

Why are Lewisham refusing to let Millwall redevelop parcels of land they lease within the over-arching redevelopment?
    Why are Lewisham not securing the best return on land for the taxpayers?
    Why are there so many links between Lewisham council and the developer Renewal?

What's to stop the next move being a CPO of the ground itself? If Lewisham can do it, what's then to stop Greenwich doing it to you? Are we both looking forward to ground sharing a stadium in Strood in ten years?
    Although CPO'S are far from ideal, a tenth or their value cannot be correct as this could be challenged legally. They have to reflect values based on evidence. Get the feeling these views are far from balanced. Also, bollocks to Smallwall; whither and die would be the best outcome.

It's being valued under it's current use as a car park, not as land with thousands of apartments on it.
    But is there planning permission for thousands of apartments on it? Cos if not, then of course it's only being valued as its current use, as there's no guarantee they'll be able to build those thousands of apartments on it.
  • Options
    I think the real problem for Millwall might be if Berylson was only involved in Millwall because he knew the area had development potential and wanted a piece of the action. If he's not getting any of that action then why would he hang about? That's gotta be the big concern for them.

Can any of our Millwall "chums" cast any light on his reasons for buying into the club in the first place? Is it on public record?

Buying a football club and chucking away £10million a year doesn't sound like the actions of a shrewd business man to me, unless of course it's all part of some wider plan.
  • Options
    Just passed a sorry little band of Spanners demonstrating outside Lewisham Town Hall along with Zampa the Lion
  • Options
    There's a but!?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hold on, if millwall didn't know the land was being sold why would they submit plans to develop it?
  • Options
    Sparrows
    Is it true that some ex Lewisham councillors now work for Renewal ?
  • Options
    How can Millwall develop land and sell off bits to share profits with the council when they own f**k all?

Sounds like they want some cheap bits to buy themselves and make a tidy profit and just a bit peed off that someone else is doing it.

The council should "gift" the car park to the residents for as long as the club remains and ensure that there can never be a change of use unless they leave/fold. Everyone will be happy then. Not.

• Options
    Council voted 6 to 1 to agree CPO.

Average wage £27,000 in Lewisham. Can't see any of them being able to afford these properties.

• Options
    Off_it said:

I think the real problem for Millwall might be if Berylson was only involved in Millwall because he knew the area had development potential and wanted a piece of the action. If he's not getting any of that action then why would he hang about? That's gotta be the big concern for them.

Can any of our Millwall "chums" cast any light on his reasons for buying into the club in the first place? Is it on public record?

Buying a football club and chucking away £10million a year doesn't sound like the actions of a shrewd business man to me, unless of course it's all part of some wider plan.

Are they all crying in their beer somewhere?
  • Options
    Renewal's proposal looks on paper far superior to that of the clubs IMO, and one that will create jobs and benefit all the community.

My sympathy goes out to those who are having to move out of their homes due to the CPO though. It happened to me when they built the channel rail link. I really think we need to move down the French way of doing this and compensate those affected. We all want progress, but not at the expense of a few poor sods caught up in it all. Give them say 50% on top of the value of the property, after all, if it is for the greater good of all, the greater good should pay for it. It will also speed up the process.

Still can't see how Club can put in a proposal to develop land they don't own? And does the lady still lose her home?
  • Options

At least they will now get the multi faith centre that the club has been crying out for.
    I heard a certain Prince Fred regular by the initials of TT was over the moon.