Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ezri Konsa (p3. England U20 call up)

12346»

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:
    @Fanny Fanackapan said on the U21 thread that Steve Avory (I feel sure others have contributed, but he is the Don) deserves a Knighthood.
    In future times Steve will be regarded as one of the greatest Charltonians in our history.
    And it won’t only be because of the stand outs.
    I notice with interest that Brendan Sarpong Wiredu scored for Fleetwood in a healthy win for them on Saturday. He is an example of many young men who have come through our Academy that Steve has helped along the way.
    My memory isn’t solid on this, but I remember going to an academy related Cup final at Brentford with Pico of this parish, I think we won with an Umerah (Hartlepool at the moment?) early goal, but the very young player catching the eye in that game was a classy Ezri Konsa.
    Great news for Ezri, and I am going to claim some kudos for us as a club too.
    I was at that game as well Seth, as we live very near Brentford. It was the first time I had ever seen Konsa and he was absolutely outstanding. I didn't have a teamsheet and remember asking a guy next to me at half time who on earth he was. I expect Brentford clocked him as well and followed his progress once he got into our team, leading to the imbecilic Roland accepting £2.5 million for him, with no sell-on fee - they clearly saw him coming. 12 months later, of course, Brentford sold him to Villa for £12 million. I recall Fanny posting that she had seen a (then) young Terrell Thomas legging it to Griffin Park shortly before the start of the game !

After we dominated the first half and scored, Brentford came back at us strongly in the second but, with Mitov making a few good saves, we held on for the 1-0 win.

I'm delighted for Ezri and it's yet another feather in the cap of Steve Avory and his colleagues.

• Options
    edited November 2023
    I remember going to Brentford for that final and I assume that was the 1st time I noticed konza. Despite tipping Gomez, Paul Walsh, and Paul Elliott (bad injury unfortunately) to play for England when seeing them at 16/17, Ezri Konza is more of a surprise. He certainly had talent but I thought he wasn't strong enough compared to Joe to be a CB when seeing him for Cafc (he got bullied) but looked good on the ball and made steady progress via Brentford and now Villa.
    He has continued to improve after a shaky start at Villa and this England call up at 26 gives him a chance to establish himself in the England squad with injuries to Stones and Dunk, and with Joe Gomez no longer in the frame. 

Mitov, Barnes, Edwards, Bone, Konza, Charles-Cook, Lapslie, Umerah are 8 players I can recall from that final and it was possibly Aribo or Lookman with the flair 🤔

Edit: Sounds like it was Lookman that night and maybe Aribo went straight into the U21 because he joined Cafc from Staines Town after his academy time had finished.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Here’s that final if anyone wants to watch it back. https://www.youtube.com/live/ujxLaQAOkys
  • Options
    Match report: https://www.brentfordfc.com/en/news/article/brentford-yt-2-charlton-athletic-yt-1_61096

Brentford were managed by Jon De Souza who was briefly here as a coach after joining last season.

Full team below. Elah Assiant must be Archie Edwards.I  remember the other names except Daniel Hetcher (another mistake?).

Charlton Athletic YT: Dimi Mitov; Elah Assiant (sub Sevdar Bokciu 63 mins), Kenneth Yao, Ezri Konsa, Aaron Barnes (sub Daniel Hetcher 85 mins); Sam Bone (sub Mikhail Kennedy 80 mins), Regan Cook, George Lapslie, Ademola Lookman; Josh Umerah, Brandon Hanlan

Subs not used: Chris Millar, Jordan Beeney

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Great news! Having a very impressive career. For the amount of premier league games and potential to be the best player to come through the academy 
    Sorry, but for me there's a few ahead of him on that one 

Parker
    Gomez
    Shelvey 
    Rufus
    Stat wise, he has played more premier league games than Gomez and Rufus, he will end up playing more than Shelvey I believe, and will be close to parker by the end of his career. 

So if we go by the amount of games he would have played at the highest level, he would be one of the best that has come through the system 

I'm surprised that Bowyer hasn't been mentioned, as far as I can see by anyone, in that context - played almost 400 PL matches. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    @Fanny Fanackapan said on the U21 thread that Steve Avory (I feel sure others have contributed, but he is the Don) deserves a Knighthood.
    In future times Steve will be regarded as one of the greatest Charltonians in our history.
    And it won’t only be because of the stand outs.
    I notice with interest that Brendan Sarpong Wiredu scored for Fleetwood in a healthy win for them on Saturday. He is an example of many young men who have come through our Academy that Steve has helped along the way.
    My memory isn’t solid on this, but I remember going to an academy related Cup final at Brentford with Pico of this parish, I think we won with an Umerah (Hartlepool at the moment?) early goal, but the very young player catching the eye in that game was a classy Ezri Konsa.
    Great news for Ezri, and I am going to claim some kudos for us as a club too.
    We also attended that game at Brentford, Seth. 

Good memories , eh.
    I was there too and raved about him outperforming Gomez in the night  The term I always use for Ezri is he's a Rolls Royce.  just so classy and takes everything in his stride.  This callup ois overdue IMO but I'm glad it came
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Match report: https://www.brentfordfc.com/en/news/article/brentford-yt-2-charlton-athletic-yt-1_61096

Brentford were managed by Jon De Souza who was briefly here as a coach after joining last season.

Full team below. Elah Assiant must be Archie Edwards.I  remember the other names except Daniel Hetcher (another mistake?).

Charlton Athletic YT: Dimi Mitov; Elah Assiant (sub Sevdar Bokciu 63 mins), Kenneth Yao, Ezri Konsa, Aaron Barnes (sub Daniel Hetcher 85 mins); Sam Bone (sub Mikhail Kennedy 80 mins), Regan Cook, George Lapslie, Ademola Lookman; Josh Umerah, Brandon Hanlan

At least 7 still playing professional football from that team I think. Impressive number.  Mitov, Konsa, Cook, Lapslie, Lookman, Umerah and Hanlan.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

At least 7 still playing professional football from that team I think. Impressive number.  Mitov, Konsa, Cook, Lapslie, Lookman, Umerah and Hanlan.
    Kennedy (Crusaders in the NI Premiership) and Bone (Maidstone in the National League South) are still at a decent level themselves
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Mitov is now a full international for Bulgaria as well.