Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ezri Konsa (p3. England U20 call up)

Comments

• Options
    Great news! Having a very impressive career. For the amount of premier league games and potential to be the best player to come through the academy 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Great news! Having a very impressive career. For the amount of premier league games and potential to be the best player to come through the academy 
    Sorry, but for me there's a few ahead of him on that one 

Parker
    Gomez
    Shelvey 
    Rufus
  • Options
    Delighted for him 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:

Parker
    Gomez
    Shelvey 
    Rufus
    Stat wise, he has played more premier league games than Gomez and Rufus, he will end up playing more than Shelvey I believe, and will be close to parker by the end of his career. 

So if we go by the amount of games he would have played at the highest level, he would be one of the best that has come through the system 
  • Options
    Has done far better than I expected.
  • Options
    I think Konsa suffered a little bit from starting in the team under Slade. With the lack of investment we had that season and how truly awful some of our players were it always felt a bit like Slade played him a lot to make a point and he played a bit more than he should have at that stage. He did get into his stride after Robinson came in though. I felt like we had Konsa for less time than we did, I didn't realise he actually played 86 games for us. We only got 24 out of Gomez
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good luck to him hope he gets on and plays well, out of interest is there anything in this for Charlton? Apart from acknowledgement.
  • Options
    I think Konsa suffered a little bit from starting in the team under Slade. With the lack of investment we had that season and how truly awful some of our players were it always felt a bit like Slade played him a lot to make a point and he played a bit more than he should have at that stage. He did get into his stride after Robinson came in though. I felt like we had Konsa for less time than we did, I didn't realise he actually played 86 games for us. We only got 24 out of Gomez
    And was mainly played out of position at full back and in midfield. 
  • Options
    At last. Ridiculous that it's taken so long for him to be called up.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I wouldn't say mainly, but regularly. Of his 86 games he played just over half of them at centre back. He played half as many as that at RB and around 15 in midfield.
    Actually, having said that I'm not sure if you meant Konsa or Gomez, who played 9 of his 24 games at CB, 13 at RB and 2 at LB. Says a lot that our academy players are so versatile, though a lot of that has been needs must. I think Tyreece Campbell has played in both wingback positions, on both wings, up front and in central midfield for us, which is slightly insane
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I wouldn't say mainly, but regularly. Of his 86 games he played just over half of them at centre back. He played half as many as that at RB and around 15 in midfield.
    Actually, having said that I'm not sure if you meant Konsa or Gomez, who played 9 of his 24 games at CB, 13 at RB and 2 at LB. Says a lot that our academy players are so versatile, though a lot of that has been needs must. I think Tyreece Campbell has played in both wingback positions, on both wings, up front and in central midfield for us, which is slightly insane
    CB is a position where experience is beneficial, so playing a kid there is a risk. It's easier to bed them in at full back.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    No I know Gomez didn't play much at CB, but when he did he was extremely impressive! I didn't look in to how many games Konsa played in his preferred position, but it felt like played a lot out of position.

It's great academy players play in different position, it is important to understand different roles. 
  • Options
    Overdue 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:

Parker
    Gomez
    Shelvey 
    Rufus
    I’m not so sure Shelvey belongs on that list.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lookman should be on the list. We got 10m for him 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:

Parker
    Gomez
    Shelvey 
    Rufus
    I’m not so sure Shelvey belongs on that list.
    Played PL football for over 10 years (not always a regular) and capped for England. Although he didn’t reach the potential we hoped he would he’s achieved a lot more than most academy players have or will do.
  • Options
    Agree with that but also CB along with GK are difficult positions for teenagers to break into. CBs are expected to be consistent, rarely make mistakes, dominate in the air and physically deal with big strong experienced strikers. He was quicker and better on the ball than most but needed time to develop in those areas. 

We were desperate for promotion, developing a young ball playing CB wasn’t something we had the patience for as a club or fanbase. Had we been comfortable in the Championship with a settled playing style it might have been different.

Being compared to Gomez probably didn’t help, made him appear more average than he was. Gomez was better but they had very similar strengths, weaknesses and styles.
  • Options
    @Fanny Fanackapan said on the U21 thread that Steve Avory (I feel sure others have contributed, but he is the Don) deserves a Knighthood.
    In future times Steve will be regarded as one of the greatest Charltonians in our history.
    And it won’t only be because of the stand outs.
    I notice with interest that Brendan Sarpong Wiredu scored for Fleetwood in a healthy win for them on Saturday. He is an example of many young men who have come through our Academy that Steve has helped along the way.
    My memory isn’t solid on this, but I remember going to an academy related Cup final at Brentford with Pico of this parish, I think we won with an Umerah (Hartlepool at the moment?) early goal, but the very young player catching the eye in that game was a classy Ezri Konsa.
    Great news for Ezri, and I am going to claim some kudos for us as a club too.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    @Fanny Fanackapan said on the U21 thread that Steve Avory (I feel sure others have contributed, but he is the Don) deserves a Knighthood.
    In future times Steve will be regarded as one of the greatest Charltonians in our history.
    I notice with interest that Brendan Sarpong Wiredu scored for Fleetwood in a healthy win for them on Saturday. He is an example of many young men who have come through our Academy that Steve has helped along the way.
    My memory isn’t solid on this, but I remember going to an academy related Cup final at Brentford with Pico of this parish, I think we won with an Umerah (Hartlepool at the moment?) early goal, but the very young player catching the eye in that game was a classy Ezri Konsa.
    We also attended that game at Brentford, Seth. 

Good memories , eh.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Good memories , eh.
    Yeah.
    Remember matchstick Archie Edwards?
    England U17 international, currently 26 I believe and playing for Tilbury, but he might have another club now.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

Good memories , eh.
    Yeah.
    Remember matchstick Archie Edwards?
    England U17 international, currently 26 I believe and playing for Tilbury, but he might have another club now.
    Oh yes ! He was one of Mr F's favourites ! 
  • Options
    It shows that an individual can continue to develop even in the premier league.  His first year in the the premier league, he was really bad to the point that he was being booed by his own fan base.  He has consistently improved every year since then and it is now paying off with the accolades
  • Options
    Some nice words here from him about his time at Charlton (need to scroll down a bit): https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/67408326
  • Options
    Good luck Ezri.
    I first saw him in a preseason game v Bromley, he stood out a mile.