Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Letters From Club - Agreed Behavioural Contracts ????

Comments

• Options
    Davo55 said:

And the idea that the matter was settled "amicably" is clearly fanciful.

The club backed off. Probably because someone with more than a single brain cell worked out that they were on a hiding to nothing.

The fan "apologised" because he wanted his ST.

He clearly feels picked on, bullied, pressurised, blackmailed - call it what you will.

But it's far from amicable, quite clearly.

And he is, presumably, British, and that is how things are handled :).
  • Options
    BDL said:

Not one to stick the knife in or kick someone when they are down but you might like to watch BBC London tonight at 6.30.

I'm out, will you tape it for me?
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

BDL said:

Not one to stick the knife in or kick someone when they are down but you might like to watch BBC London tonight at 6.30.

I'm out, will you tape it for me?
    His Agent will send you a signed copy. ;)
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Davo55 said:

The club backed off. Probably because someone with more than a single brain cell worked out that they were on a hiding to nothing.

He clearly feels picked on, bullied, pressurised, blackmailed - call it what you will.

And he is, presumably, British, and that is how things are handled :).
    They would both have apologised, about 10 times. Then cancelled invitations to tea for several years :smile:
  • Options

Just done the same programmed to record

Forgot about that, it's like living in the future isn't it....done
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Without knowing the specifics of what this fella has said, I'm going to hold back on the outrage. We do have freedom of speech in this country but there are certain levels of decency we are expected to uphold, some of which can be enforced by law.

No one wants football grounds to be totally sanitised, but there is a line and if the fella has been overly abusive, then a quiet word to warn him about his contract, while unusual, is not necessarily the wrong thing to do from the club. From the Guardian article it sounds like the fella has accepted he has not exactly been a saint, although there is no suggestion his actions have crossed into criminality.

That said, quite where the club thinks it has the right to start using contracts to dictate how people behave I'm not sure. It's pretty laughable, too, that they think anyone is so attached to watching the steaming piles of doo-dah they have served up on the pitch for 2.5 years that the threat of no longer being able to do so would be enough to scare him into line. Fans are leaving in their droves voluntarily and many who are left are probably there out of habit, or a misplaced sense of duty or loyalty. I should think a few fans would be glad of the excuse not to go anymore.

It does, also, rather add weight to idea of the club viewing the fans as a commodity that will just put up with anything the club does because football fans are all too blindly loyal and that can be taken advantage of.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Davo55 said:

The club backed off. Probably because someone with more than a single bran cell worked out that they were on a hiding to nothing.

Is that more or less amicable than getting the police involved?
    They cannot get the police involved because there is no offence, or if there is, it's so petty the police have better things to do with their time. As I and others have also stated, as an isolated incident it isn't a massive deal, coupled with the other gales of shit pouring our way from The Valley, on and off the pitch, it deserves all the coverage that we, non-lifers, fans of other clubs, twitter, online blogs, national newspapers, international news agencies, UK national radio and regional TV stations are giving it. Sorry Col, even along with Al you are less than 2%...
  • Options
    razil said:

In the light of all the other developments and comments from the club about the protests I can't see it personally as anything other than the beginnings of a concerted campaign instigated from the top to try and target and reduce opposition on social media by intimidation.

This guy being a new hire and a senior a copper (why is he no longer in the force?) might make one think they are upping the anti.

People swear to a very offensive, thoughtless and unnecessary degree on Twitter, I think its wrong but that's Twitter. What could this kind of action possibly achieve, other than a vain attempt to control negativity on social media, to try and protect the brand, and send a message to intimidate others?

I recall a conversation with a 'club insider' around the time of the Woolwich meeting where it was divulged to me that the owner believed he could quite easily 'lose' (by protest) 300-400 season ticket holders, naively believing this was the extent of the dissent, and of course its now in the thousands. This shows some of the mentality behind these sort of decisions, and poor old Mick in the middle of it.

Perhaps they are doing the same now on a larger scale, or punishing those who dissent in the only way they can. Fortunately the management seem so incompetent they can't even be good at being bad.

Hopefully its been dealt with now and some sense has been applied, I guess we'll see if any more notices go out. Picked on the wrong fans..

• Options

colthe3rd said:

Davo55 said:

The club backed off. Probably because someone with more than a single bran cell worked out that they were on a hiding to nothing.

Is that more or less amicable than getting the police involved?
    They cannot get the police involved because there is no offence, or if there is, it's so petty the police have better things to do with their time. As I and others have also stated, as an isolated incident it isn't a massive deal, coupled with the other gales of shit pouring our way from The Valley, on and off the pitch, it deserves all the coverage that we, non-lifers, fans of other clubs, twitter, online blogs, national newspapers, international news agencies, UK national radio and regional TV stations are giving it. Sorry Col, even along with Al you are less than 2%...
    Not sure how you can confidently state there is no offence, afaik we don't know exactly what was tweeted and said. And yes the police do have better things to do with their time that's why these things were introduced as per the statement.

If people want to be offended by what the club have done and use this as something else to bash them with that's fine, I'm not saying they can't. As I keep referring to my initial point was that people shouldn't be throwing around the free speech line unless they know for certain what was said. My own personal opinion is that what the club did wasn't that bad but should have been handled better.

And I hope by your final line you aren't inferring that I am in favour of the current ownership. Just because I won't lose my shit about every single thing the club does does not make me pro Roland.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Katriens not too bothered by it as she's just walked past me on Tavistock Street enjoying an evening out with a Belgian aquaintance. I let you all down though as I chose to smile knowingly at the great day she's had and walk past.
  • Options
    I didn't confidently state, hence the words "if there is". But what has been stated elsewhere on this thread is that Talksport saw the tweets, and saw no offence there.

No I wasn't suggesting that you are one of the club apologists Col, I am well aware you are not. But in this case your opinion reflects those of about, well, three or four other people. You are entitled to it, and the rest of the country are entitled to say you are wrong, in my case for the reason I gave. It's just another example of the idiotic crap we have had to endure for months, and the media are all over it, which can only further our cause. The more so if we are all singing from the same hymn sheet (or staying away from the church on this one occasion, if we don't like the song...).
  • Options
    Eager in name...

Could learn to use a comma. Rules of pedantry and all that.

No issue with stopping "threatening or defamatory" ...them's the laws of this good nation.

"Derogatory"? You are having a laugh.

Orwellian...Merie has the same grasp of reality as Emmanuel Goldstein. PWOPAGANDA
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

Such a negative thread.

It's unique.
  • Options
    Anyone who buys the programme tomorrow will be getting an 'open letter' too!
  • Options

Eager in name...

Could learn to use a comma. Rules of pedantry and all that.

No issue with stopping "threatening or defamatory" ...them's the laws of this good nation.

"Derogatory"? You are having a laugh.

Orwellian...Merie has the same grasp of reality as Emmanuel Goldstein. PWOPAGANDA

:-)
  • Options
    razil said:

In the light of all the other developments and comments from the club about the protests I can't see it personally as anything other than the beginnings of a concerted campaign instigated from the top to try and target and reduce opposition on social media by intimidation.

This guy being a new hire and a senior a copper (why is he no longer in the force?) might make one think they are upping the anti.

People swear to a very offensive, thoughtless and unnecessary degree on Twitter, I think its wrong but that's Twitter. What could this kind of action possibly achieve, other than a vain attempt to control negativity on social media, to try and protect the brand, and send a message to intimidate others?

I recall a conversation with a 'club insider' around the time of the Woolwich meeting where it was divulged to me that the owner believed he could quite easily 'lose' (by protest) 300-400 season ticket holders, naively believing this was the extent of the dissent, and of course its now in the thousands. This shows some of the mentality behind these sort of decisions, and poor old Mick in the middle of it.

Perhaps they are doing the same now on a larger scale, or punishing those who dissent in the only way they can. Fortunately the management seem so incompetent they can't even be good at being bad.

Hopefully its been dealt with now and some sense has been applied, I guess we'll see if any more notices go out. Picked on the wrong fans..

He's done 35 years. Probably got out before the new NPA of 60 come in. He'll just have retired with a view to topping up his pension with a cushy little number in the private sector.
    (Because the salary isn't the be all and end all for them, retired plod are a nice cheap option. While his salary might be undisclosed, it will be tiny.)
  • Options

Spanish said:

Is it available to listen to on-line ?

Can someone post a link to recording of the discussion ?

http://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1470992400
    Starts around 18:23 for those who don't want to hear the full 30 minute clip.

If you want to hear the guy interviewed, click the 12:00-12:30 tab - starts around 19:10
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BBC News with BDL. Good piece.
  • Options
    Well done Dave. Another gargantuan PR disaster for the Belgians.
  • Options

@Exiled_Addick

As always, you try to take a balanced view, and I invariably end up convinced by your viewpoints. So that said, i would really urge you to give the Talksport clips a listen. You will hear the anchor guy saying he has been through the tweets and really not finding anything out of the ordinary, given the overall mood of the fan base. (Separately, one of the Trust Board also went through his Twitter before he deleted, and came to the same conclusion).Then the "culprit" himself comes on, live. He is articulate, calm, and measured. He does himself and us credit with that appearance. Afterwards the Talksport team say that before someone comes on, they often wonder how the person will sound and turn out, and their conclusion was that "Quentin" didn't sound as they expected (in a positive way)

So I come to the conclusion, and maybe you will too, that Quentin is far from the worst offender in terms of behaviour, who wants to buy a season ticket. The conclusion then is that this is a clear case of bullying. It seems that they got hold of him because he was previously known to the club - for doing voluntary work. He also says in the clip that he surprised them by turning up to the meeting with @PIco, who is now the Trust chair, and another friend. He says they were a bit taken aback by that. Clearly Mr Cliff expected to get Quentin on his own and come over all plod on him.

Even so, Quentin felt intimidated enough to delete all his tweets, which do not seem to be so bad as to warrant that. Up to a point, then, bullying works. Or at least, it did, until the media shit hit the fan.

I hadn't realised earlier that this Cliff bloke is an ex-copper. I start to ask myself about his title "Safety Officer". I am starting to ask myself whose safety exactly he is primarily responsible for.

As we discussed within the Trust gang this afternoon, we are left with two contrasting emotions. On the one hand, the media shitstorm has gone a long way to waking up the nation to what is happening to us. Owen Gibson tweeted from Rio for heaven's sake. On the other hand there is this deep sense of shame that we now 'support a club' that has brought in an ex-copper whose first major act is to seek to bully and intimidate a largely innocent fan who has been a fan for 15 years. That's why I'm outraged, and if you give the Talksport stuff a listen, you may be too.

My initial reaction to this whole thing has been a bit of "yeah, it's bad, but they've done worse." To me, it's another in the long line of things they handled poorly and petulantly, and that's kind of my permanent reaction to this regime, nothing really surprises me anymore.

But Prague, the way you frame it, if true, is pretty despicable and disgusting. Due to regional issues, I can't hear the TalkSport interview, but the notion that he was targeted because he was known to them through doing volunteer work is beyond pathetic for me, it's heart breaking. No good deed, eh?

@Davo55 the BBC may have buried your quote a bit, but the line "The club that hates their fans" feels very true today.
  • Options

@Exiled_Addick

As always, you try to take a balanced view, and I invariably end up convinced by your viewpoints. So that said, i would really urge you to give the Talksport clips a listen. You will hear the anchor guy saying he has been through the tweets and really not finding anything out of the ordinary, given the overall mood of the fan base. (Separately, one of the Trust Board also went through his Twitter before he deleted, and came to the same conclusion).Then the "culprit" himself comes on, live. He is articulate, calm, and measured. He does himself and us credit with that appearance. Afterwards the Talksport team say that before someone comes on, they often wonder how the person will sound and turn out, and their conclusion was that "Quentin" didn't sound as they expected (in a positive way)

Is there a link to this please? Thanks.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

I know I'll be in the minority here but I don't think the club have done that much wrong here.

And for those banging on about free speech, you may want to brush up on that definition before you throw it about in regards to this instance.

Why?
    Why what? Elaborate please Stu.
    Why would anyone need to brush up on their definition of free speech? Have you read Art. 10 of The Human Rights Act?
    I am aware of it but I'm also aware of this caveat that we have incorporated as a part of it

"including threatening, abusive or insulting words or behavior intending or likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress or cause a breach of the peace"

If he has been using foul and abusive language towards people at the club (both online and at the ground) then I have little sympathy. Yes, the club could have handled this better but if you are going to be abusive 1. that's no way to try and protest and 2. you have to suffer any sort of repercussions that come along with it.
    Double standards if the players can use foul and abusive language to the fans though.

If your happy with all that's going on at our once proud club good luck to you but you are in a very small minority.
  • Options
    Are they using blackpool as a mentor on how to deal with fans. What next lawsuits
  • Options

@Exiled_Addick

So I come to the conclusion, and maybe you will too, that Quentin is far from the worst offender in terms of behaviour, who wants to buy a season ticket. The conclusion then is that this is a clear case of bullying. It seems that they got hold of him because he was previously known to the club - for doing voluntary work. He also says in the clip that he surprised them by turning up to the meeting with @PIco, who is now the Trust chair, and another friend. He says they were a bit taken aback by that. Clearly Mr Cliff expected to get Quentin on his own and come over all plod on him.

Even so, Quentin felt intimidated enough to delete all his tweets, which do not seem to be so bad as to warrant that. Up to a point, then, bullying works. Or at least, it did, until the media shit hit the fan.

I hadn't realised earlier that this Cliff bloke is an ex-copper. I start to ask myself about his title "Safety Officer". I am starting to ask myself whose safety exactly he is primarily responsible for.

As we discussed within the Trust gang this afternoon, we are left with two contrasting emotions. On the one hand, the media shitstorm has gone a long way to waking up the nation to what is happening to us. Owen Gibson tweeted from Rio for heaven's sake. On the other hand there is this deep sense of shame that we now 'support a club' that has brought in an ex-copper whose first major act is to seek to bully and intimidate a largely innocent fan who has been a fan for 15 years. That's why I'm outraged, and if you give the Talksport stuff a listen, you may be too.

Haven't had a chance to listen to those yet Prague, I will try and do so in my lunch break.

You are much closer to the action, so to speak, than I am and have also always seemed like a more reasoned poster on here, so I respect your view that something more Machiavellian may be going on here.

I'm sure I come across as overly defensive if the regime to some people on here. I'm certainly no fan of the way the club has been run in the last couple of years, but often with these things, as outsiders, our human nature is to jump to the worst conclusion, especially with the backdrop of everything else going on at the club. I tend to take the view that, more often than not, there are reasons for things like this behind the scenes that we may not fully appreciate, especially when the news first breaks (it's a modern disease, in general, to report 'news' first and worry about truthing out the reports later).

Without doubt though, this lot continue to do themselves few favours.
  • Options

Are they using blackpool as a mentor on how to deal with fans. What next lawsuits

Don't give them ideas