Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Ipswich match thread (FT 0-0, third clean sheet in a row but lacking goals...)

Comments

• Options
    Should have had penalties to decide it. Would have been good practice in our quest for The JPT.
  • Options
    as the headline says, another clean sheet .. defence is looking good folks, now let's wait until we start to score a few .. @ Bury would be a good start
  • Options
    You could have the best goalscorer in the league in the team. If they are not getting the chances then it's on their own or nothing.
  • Options

Sofa gone. Not coming back apparently.

Maybe KM has a cunning plan to cover it in green stick in front of the goal and use it as Pope/Henderson/Mitov replacement
  • Options
    Get back on topic. How did the goal nets shape up?

I'll get me coat.
  • Options
    My son has now dragged me to Orient and Ipswich friendlies, which sort of makes me proud he's trying, but they were two of the dullest games I've seen for a long time, even taking into account them being friendlies. I really cannot see us doing anything this season unless 6 players come in. Journeymen and kids are the bulk of the team and it's not going to end well. The nets were superb though, shame about the pitch cutting up so badly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got nice jazzed up stadium and nets but no fucking team strong enough to mount a challenge
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    We were very average without any spark. Ended up with Phillips, Konsa, Thomas, Muldoon, KAG, Hanlan, Lookman on the pitch.

In our penultimate friendly.

The fact that we didn't concede was down to some decent goalkeeping and then hitting the bar three times. We had no shots on target aside from a Jackson in swinging cross.

Ipswich finished with their first choice back four, Bishop, Sears, Murphy...

I'n no way are we prepared for the season ahead.
  • Options
    How did Lookman look when he came on?
  • Options

How did Lookman look when he came on?

Didn't really get a touch if I remember, tried one little dribble but lost it.
  • Options

We've yet to see Novak and Ajose together since Welling.

Maybe they will click once the season starts.

Clean sheets never a bad thing but still need more bodies.

The way Slade has been setting up the team suggests he will favour a 4141 formation , so I don't expect Novak and ajose will be playing together much
  • Options

Nicholas said:

Statement?
    Yes. Two things. Look at the state of the pitch. That is the Ipswich goal for most of second half.
    Browner than my bottom on a Sunday morning after a skinful!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lookman looked decidedly uninterested to be honest.
  • Options
    Harriot, Konsa and KAG promising - Rojo awful - Phillips made a good save at the end (having nothing else to do tonight). I'm incredibly worried if this is anywhere near the team that starts the season in 10 days.
  • Options
    Wow, what a write up. Sounds like last season only worse.

Trying to look for positive so...at least the new nets got 90 minutes game time tonight.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Harriot, Konsa and KAG promising - Rojo awful - Phillips made a good save at the end (having nothing else to do tonight). I'm incredibly worried if this is anywhere near the team that starts the season in 10 days.

We won't have a team starting in 10 days. We will have a team team starting in 11 days.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Whodathunkit?
  • Options

Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 19s20 seconds ago
    Attendance at The Valley this evening is 2,308, including 333 Ipswich fans. Thank you for your support. #cafc

I did not here a word the announcer said.
    Goodness knows how you heard that.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I've not seen any of the psf's, so I may be talking crap.

However, although we may have only scored once in 3 games, we haven't conceded !

In fact in the last 4 games the only goal conceded was the last minute effort through Mitovs' legs.

Performances aside, that is pretty impressive. The way to be successful, is to build a strong defence.

If you don't concede you won't lose.

Nearly all successful sides have a strong defence.

Also, bearing in mind, the Charlton teams fielded have been very weak, I'd say Slade has either done really well or he's been really lucky 4 games running.

If we can get in those 5/6 decent players, then who knows. I certainly don't.

I'm thinking we could be challenging up the top or struggling bottom half. I'm clueless.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Just got back so have not read any comments.
    Pretty dreary as a game so it is basically individual performances to comment on.
    However firstly two things I picked up from very reliable sources.
    One is that Tex is off, I spoke to somebody who had just spoken to his agent. The other is I was told Dillion Phillips weekly basic wage. I am not sure of the etiquette of typing that particular bit of information out loud on here, but it fully explains why he would like to go back to Cheltenham.
    Talking of which, Phillips had a very good game, positionally good anyway, and some excellent saves. Rojo is basically a liability, and if he is a regular starter I would legislate to score two or three goals on our part, because any savvy league one side will exploit his gaffes. Whatever faults Fox might have he at least doesn't tell everybody else what to do whilst swearing.
    Konsa was class against experienced men, he is young and developing, but tempting though it may be, it would be a huge risk to have him as an automatic starter. Solly was Solly.
    Crofts was better than of late, will play a reasonable 'spoiler' role, but Foley might do well as padding but not as a mainstay. Tragically the years appear to be catching up with Jacko and he had little overall effect on the game beyond good thought processes. Harriott needs an end product, maybe he will have a good series of matches next season followed by a poor series...he likes a foul which will cause him trouble next season as others look for revenge against him.
    Ricky Holmes appears to be a thoroughly decent footballer who we will love as a player, especially his application, and no little ability. Ajose had very little opportunity to do anything for the hour or so he played, mind you he was a lone striker.
    BTW Ipswich had touches of class, but they will need to be a whole lot better to have a good season next year.
    Of the subs Hanlan was very positive, Lookman a Cameo as was Muldoon and KAG. I thought Ba was Ba which meant he brought virtually nothing to the table. We need improvements everywhere but most especially in central defence and central midfield.
    if i have forgotten anything will mention it later, but now I fancy a cup of tea.

Spot on analysis of the game Seth. Konsa looked very comfortable. I agree Ipswich looked poor and they might struggle this year.