Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Ipswich match thread (FT 0-0, third clean sheet in a row but lacking goals...)

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    Swisdom said:

I enjoyed last night. Good to be back at the Valley.

Phillips - Excellent. Not afraid to come out of his box. Extremely confident on the ball and you could see players didnt hesitate to play it back to him because they trusted his first touch and subsequent distribution. Some ill-advised rollouts to Croft though when he had a man up his snatch. Rumours are his wages are ridiculously low - sort that immediately as he's our new 2nd choice goalie if Rudd is brought in.
    Solly - standard Solly
    RoJo - One slip aside he did alright. The problem is he is shocking on his left hand side and people will exploit that.
    Konsa - Probably my MOM. So calm and assured on the ball and Pittman and McGoldrick are no mugs either.
    Fox - Left his man twice (2) late on and we were lucky not to concede. First time the guy tried to head it with his ear and the second called for a great save from Dillon.

Holmes - Small but he is going to be a fan favourite I think. Lots of energy, no shortage of skill. Could be like Garry Nelson
    Crofts & Foley - Pretty similar. A bit like Matt Holland in that they were solid if not spectacular. Crofts is the better player imo but Foley when he dropped to right back showed a bit of versatility that might be needed and useful. Both useful additions.
    Jacko - Looks more like a "coach" than ever. Way off the pace.
    Harriott - Seems to have slowed his feet down a bit and gone back to basics a bit. If he can now get the end product he'll be an asset. I think Slade likes him and maybe that's reflected in his confidence.

Ajose - He worries me because fans won't tolerate performances like last night. He is never going to operate as a lone striker and needs someone up there with him. Doesn't drop deep to get the ball, jumps like Churchinho. He may be a fox in the box but with no service he'll be ruined by November.

Hanlon busied himself when he came on. lots of youthful exhuberance
    Muldoon - I really want him to be like Scott Parker after his loan spell. Played more like Paul Bacon unfortunately.

All in all it was a decent run out. We have clearly tightened up at the back as we looked much better when defending set pieces. Absolutely nothing going forward but I think the aim was to work on defensive work which has been so sadly lacking in the last 12 months.

Ipswich have had a shocker in pre season and, on last nights showing, might have a tough season ahead.

On the rumours front I too heard Teixeira could be off to pastures new.

The fact of the matter is, if you are going to play the likes of Konsa (who I thought was excellent by the way. Gomez - esque! ) the only option to play alongside them is Johnson.

Is he the best centre half we have? Absolutely not. But with the age (Lennon), or communication difficulties (all our best centre backs, English is their second language, and in the case of George, his English isn't great) to nurture our talented bunch of young academy defenders, Johnson is the best option. And, I think, Slade realises that. He has played well in the last 2 games.
  • Options

Other League One Friendly results from last night...

- Bolton Wanderers 1-2 Burnley (Pope was left on the Bench with Heaton / Robinson playing, still no JBG)
    - Brentford 0-1 Peterborough United
    - Chesterfield 1-2 Derby County
    - Dover Athletic 2-0 Millwall
    - Halifax Town 2-0 Sheffield United
    - Macclesfield Town 2-0 Rochdale
    - Milton Keynes Dons 1-3 Everton
    - Northampton Town 2-1 Wolves
    - Norwich City 3-0 Coventry City
    - Notts County 3-2 Walsall
    - Oldham Athletic 0-1 Wigan Athletic
    - Oxford United 0-4 Brighton & Hove Albion
    - Sabadell 3-0 Bristol Rovers
    - Scunthorpe United 2-1 Rotherham United
    - Southend United 0-2 Newcastle United
    - Swindon Town 1-2 Reading

If we'd lost 2-0 to Halifax, some people on here would be demanding Slade be sacked.
    I was in Halifax last weekend .. the football team is the new pride of the town .. they won a pot at Wembley last season (beating Grimsby) .. don't underestimate the Shaymen (:>)

They're at the same level of the pyramid as Welling!
    No they're not, they're a League above Welling now... Same level as Bromley though
  • Options
    Seems like the defence is solid!!
    46 0-0 draws !! Imagine
  • Options

Swisdom said:

Phillips - Excellent. Not afraid to come out of his box. Extremely confident on the ball and you could see players didnt hesitate to play it back to him because they trusted his first touch and subsequent distribution. Some ill-advised rollouts to Croft though when he had a man up his snatch. Rumours are his wages are ridiculously low - sort that immediately as he's our new 2nd choice goalie if Rudd is brought in.
    Solly - standard Solly
    RoJo - One slip aside he did alright. The problem is he is shocking on his left hand side and people will exploit that.
    Konsa - Probably my MOM. So calm and assured on the ball and Pittman and McGoldrick are no mugs either.
    Fox - Left his man twice (2) late on and we were lucky not to concede. First time the guy tried to head it with his ear and the second called for a great save from Dillon.

Holmes - Small but he is going to be a fan favourite I think. Lots of energy, no shortage of skill. Could be like Garry Nelson
    Crofts & Foley - Pretty similar. A bit like Matt Holland in that they were solid if not spectacular. Crofts is the better player imo but Foley when he dropped to right back showed a bit of versatility that might be needed and useful. Both useful additions.
    Harriott - Seems to have slowed his feet down a bit and gone back to basics a bit. If he can now get the end product he'll be an asset. I think Slade likes him and maybe that's reflected in his confidence.

Ajose - He worries me because fans won't tolerate performances like last night. He is never going to operate as a lone striker and needs someone up there with him. Doesn't drop deep to get the ball, jumps like Churchinho. He may be a fox in the box but with no service he'll be ruined by November.

Muldoon - I really want him to be like Scott Parker after his loan spell. Played more like Paul Bacon unfortunately.

All in all it was a decent run out. We have clearly tightened up at the back as we looked much better when defending set pieces. Absolutely nothing going forward but I think the aim was to work on defensive work which has been so sadly lacking in the last 12 months.

Ipswich have had a shocker in pre season and, on last nights showing, might have a tough season ahead.

The fact of the matter is, if you are going to play the likes of Konsa (who I thought was excellent by the way. Gomez - esque! ) the only option to play alongside them is Johnson.

Is he the best centre half we have? Absolutely not. But with the age (Lennon), or communication difficulties (all our best centre backs, English is their second language, and in the case of George, his English isn't great) to nurture our talented bunch of young academy defenders, Johnson is the best option. And, I think, Slade realises that. He has played well in the last 2 games.
    Bauer is 10 times better than Johnson
  • Options
    One thing from last night, Mick McCarthy is looking really old!

• Options

- Bolton Wanderers 1-2 Burnley (Pope was left on the Bench with Heaton / Robinson playing, still no JBG)

If we'd lost 2-0 to Halifax, some people on here would be demanding Slade be sacked.
    Only Scunthorpe / Peterborough won matches last night, both were against higher opposition whilst Millwall / Walsall / Rochdale / Sheffield United all lost to lower league opposition... And what does this tell you, and what fans should know by now?

FRIENDLY RESULTS MEAN FECK ALL!!
    But squad depth does.
  • Options
    I am surprised that no - one else noticed that we had 4 captains last night.

When Jacko went off, he threw the armband to Johnson. Not as captain, but to pass to Fox. Fox was taking a throw on at the time, in a very attacking position.

When the attack broke down, Roger threw the armband to Morgan. But Morgan was looking up the field, to check what Ipswich were doing, so missed the armband being thrown to him.

For the next 5 or so minutes, the armband laid on the pitch.

Later Fox picked it up, and put in on.

I thought that sod captained very well for the 5 minutes it was "wearing" the armband...
  • Options

I am surprised that no - one else noticed that we had 4 captains last night.

When Jacko went off, he threw the armband to Johnson. Not as captain, but to pass to Fox. Fox was taking a throw on at the time, in a very attacking position.

When the attack broke down, Roger threw the armband to Morgan. But Morgan was looking up the field, to check what Ipswich were doing, so missed the armband being thrown to him.

For the next 5 or so minutes, the armband laid on the pitch.

Later Fox picked it up, and put in on.

I thought that sod captained very well for the 5 minutes it was "wearing" the armband...

Hopefully the sod will turf out any dead wood in the Dressing Room if ever it becomes Manager!!
  • Options

I was in Halifax last weekend .. the football team is the new pride of the town .. they won a pot at Wembley last season (beating Grimsby) .. don't underestimate the Shaymen (:>)

No they're not, they're a League above Welling now... Same level as Bromley though
    Halifax are National league north, Welling are south.
  • Options

Halifax are National league north, Welling are south.
    Apologies, didnt realise they too got relegated last season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Apparently there were a few tickets sold with the same seat number, which I find quite an achievement given the size of the crowd, what will be interesting is when more than 1,000 attend a game.
    Also a new lot are doing the cleaning and there wasn't any overalls for them, don't know if that's the clubs fault or whoever its been sub contracted to.
    Good to know that things off the field, are going so well.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Swisdom said:

Solly - standard Solly

And 10 times more injured...
  • Options

wmcf123 said:

Swisdom said:

Solly - standard Solly

And ten times more "English is his second language"...
  • Options
    edited July 2016

wmcf123 said:

Swisdom said:

Solly - standard Solly

And ten times more "English is his second language"...
    Yeah but he's German he probably speaks better English than half of us. Probably better than Johnson's...
  • Options
    craigcafc said:

@seth plum comments are exactly how I saw it too.

I also heard that Tex was off and that a goalkeeper 'hadn't shown up'. I firstly attributed that to Moore, but the absence of Mitov yesterday threw a spanner in my assumption.

Mitov was in the West Stand so unless it means he turned up late, the reference was not to him.
    Wasn't that Mitov warming up with Phillips though?!
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

uie2 said:

craigcafc said:

@seth plum comments are exactly how I saw it too.

I also heard that Tex was off and that a goalkeeper 'hadn't shown up'. I firstly attributed that to Moore, but the absence of Mitov yesterday threw a spanner in my assumption.

Mitov was in the West Stand so unless it means he turned up late, the reference was not to him.
    Wasn't that Mitov warming up with Phillips though?!
    Nope - Jordan Beeney

Mitov was in the West last night as I bumped into him coming out of the the toilet. He's bigger than I expected (in height terms that is)

The U21s played yesterday afternoon so I assume Mitov played in that game.
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

You can't talk ffs!
  • Options

Essex_Al said:

You can't talk ffs!
    Shut it shorty!
  • Options
    Wish I'd gone now - gutted to have missed out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Try again Saturday.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Try again Saturday.
    As tempting as it is, I'll have to pass.
  • Options

Try again Saturday.
    As tempting as it is, I'll have to pass.
    Unlike in the 90's
  • Options
    edited July 2016