Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Old Trafford evacuated. edit: match abandoned.

Comments

• Some real funny stuff on Twitter .

It's what The British are good at. Nobody was hurt so bring it on.

• iaitch said:

I think in the world today then any large gathering of people could be a target.

Sad to say that but its true.

Was going to say much the same myself.
  • I was speaking to a royal engineer a few weeks ago. Just reckoned he was doing his job. Glad he's doing it not me! He reckon the hurt locker was the biggest pile of bollocks of all time. Glad we've got these people.
  • Mobile phone found In toilet with wires hanging from it apparently

Apparently the phone was found taped to a pipe, so left there very deliberately

Whether it was an explosive device or not, it's been "perfect" in causing maximum global publicity
  • I wonder if this has anything to do with betting on the Asian continent. Remember when someone was caught trying to put an explosive device near one of our floodlights in the game against Liverpool to get the game abandoned after it had started, when we were in the Premier League, that was because of a betting scandal if I remember rightly. If wrong, I know someone will put me right
  • ross1 said:

I wonder if this has anything to do with betting on the Asian continent. Remember when someone was caught trying to put an explosive device near one of our floodlights in the game against Liverpool to get the game abandoned after it had started, when we were in the Premier League, that was because of a betting scandal if I remember rightly. If wrong, I know someone will put me right

Yes, that game was the Lisbie hattrick match!
  • Being reported that it wasn't a bomb, but it was certainly made to look like one. Glad it wasn't real, but it is still a very sinister turn of events.
  • Sponsored links:

• Two of my friends were in the north west corner, thats the bit where the devise was found, he was on the phone to me and said they were asked to evacuate straight away, once they got to the concourse the tannoy announced it was a 'code red' situation and everyone started to panic and just run.

Very scary and if this is a new trend in football then god help us all.
  • Mobile phone found In toilet with wires hanging from it apparently

Whether it was an explosive device or not, it's been "perfect" in causing maximum global publicity
    If someone gets caught for this they'll get a lengthy prison term. Police had no choice but to abandon game.
  • ross1 said:

I wonder if this has anything to do with betting on the Asian continent. Remember when someone was caught trying to put an explosive device near one of our floodlights in the game against Liverpool to get the game abandoned after it had started, when we were in the Premier League, that was because of a betting scandal if I remember rightly. If wrong, I know someone will put me right

Yes, that game was the Lisbie hattrick match!
    No that was the 1-0 win when Keith Jones scored
  • Godstone said:

Mobile phone found In toilet with wires hanging from it apparently

If someone gets caught for this they'll get a lengthy prison term. Police had no choice but to abandon game.

I'm going to guess that someone is going to get some lengthy time for that; I can't see it being too challenging to track whoever is responsible down.

Global exposure or not, I can't really see the motive other than being a complete moron.
  • Have I got this right?

Some tool buys a pay per go mobile phone, uses electrical tape to attach a few pieces of wire to it and then uses same electrical tape while going to the toilet to attach it in a prominent place.

although a hoax would be deplorable, it better than if the wires were attached to explosive.

• Someone's going to get a knock on his door very soon.
  • edited May 2016
    ross1 said:

Could be anything. Your suggestion, ISIS, the Northern Ireland terror threat level, going up from moderate to substantial in the UK four days ago.
  • edited May 2016
    He edited the status, because he's a first class mong and felt like a bit of attention:

• edited May 2016
    on a different tack, I was wondering about the re-arranged gamed & when ir might get played. Sjy were saying that its likely to be after the Cup Final, ie 2 weeks time, but then there are international matches.

I have a theory that the Premier League could do a stich up. looking at the table the outcome of the game now really only affects Man U & S'hampton for European places at the top & Palace & W Brom for places at the bottom.

Man U cant now get a Champions League spot as Man Citys goal difference is 20 more than Man U, so Man U can only get a Europa League spot - which they can get if they win the FA Cup, Whats the chances that the Premier League will wait to see what happens in the Cup Final & if Mah U win let todays result stand as nul & void with the Saints getting a Europa spot for being 5th

As for B'mouth - for them its just about the money and they could just be given the difference in being 15th or 16th
  • Sponsored links:

• on a different tack, I was wondering about the re-arranged gamed & when ir might get played. Sjy were saying that its likely to be after the Cup Final, ie 2 weeks time, but then there are international matches.

I have a theory that the Premier League could do a stich up. looking at the table the outcome of the game now really only affects Man U & S'hampton for European places at the top & Palace & W Brom for places at the bottom.

Man U cant now get a Champions League spot as Man Citys goal difference is 20 more than Man U, so Man U can only get a Europa League spot - which they can get if they win the FA Cup, Whats the chances that the Premier League will wait to see what happens in the Cup Final & if Mah U win let todays result stand as nul & void with the Saints getting a Europa spot for being 5th

Soton are in the Europa league already (due to City winning the League Cup there's a spare space), so it makes no difference to them.

The only affect will be PL prize money, with a win Bournemouth could jump 2 places, while United could go up 1 place
  • LuckyReds said:

He edited the status, because he's a first class mong and felt like a bit of attention:

Am I the only one infuriated by this? Who can't spell "sense"?!?! FFS
  • Perhaps our esteemed CEO will now reconsider the fence?
  • Can't believe how non-plussed / source of jokes most people seem to be about this all

Yeah but after 7/7 people were making jokes about how it was obviously the French, pissed off at losing out on the Olympics (the announcement was the day before). Gallows humour seems to be the way we deal with situations that are beyond our control.
  • Can't believe how non-plussed / source of jokes most people seem to be about this all

I take your point and concern. I'll say that my personal coping mechanism is humor. That is how I process strife and tragedy. As long as taste and respect are maintained, I don't know that there's a "right" way to process these things.
  • It seems to be British humour, as long as it is happening to somebody else, we can laugh, because it is not happening to us
  • ross1 said:

It seems to be British humour, as long as it is happening to somebody else, we can laugh, because it is not happening to us

Obviously
  • I blame our foreign policy.
  • Question, if Palarse lose the FA Cup final, they don't get a Euro place do they?
  • sam3110 said:

Question, if Palarse lose the FA Cup final, they don't get a Euro place do they?

No, goes back to 7th in the league so West Ham would qualify.