Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Old Trafford evacuated. edit: match abandoned.

Comments

• The fact that it was abandoned after the sniffer dogs had been sent in is concerning.

Absolutely. It would suggest that either the FX dogs have given a positive 'indication' or the police have received intelligence that they need to act upon.
  • Addickted said:

The fact that it was abandoned after the sniffer dogs had been sent in is concerning.

If it was the same ones as we had last week it will probably turn out to be a box of Winalot
    That might explain why the sniffer dog didn't work last week at The Valley, winalot? It could only find a box of loss again.
  • Hopefully just someone's lunch box

If anybody has taken a lunch box to a football match they need locking up.
    That would halve attendances down the valley
  • The large package was rooneys lunch box
  • Will they have to get this game played before next weeks FA Cup Final?

Will that give the stripey people a small advantage next Saturday?
  • Off subject - Iain Dowie what a prick. He's Just called John o'shea "Joe O'Shea" and Troy Deeney "Tray Deeney"
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2016
    Twitter rumours are that there's now a military presence at the ground.

Although I'm not sure whether Greater Manchester Police would have the resources for a controlled explosion anyway, The Met are unique in that they do as far as I know?
  • iaitch said:

Will they have to get this game played before next weeks FA Cup Final?

Will that give the stripey people a small advantage next Saturday?

Geoff Shreeves has just said it def won't be played before the cup Final, and maybe as long as 2 weeks before its played.

Good stuff, gives the United players a bit more rest before they batter palace next weekend.
  • LuckyReds said:

Although I'm not sure whether Greater Manchester Police would have the resources for a controlled explosion anyway, The Met are unique in that they do as far as I know?
    Standard procedure from all police forces, including the Met, to get the Royal Engineers in if they need to carry out a controlled detonation.

• Simon E said:

LuckyReds said:

Standard procedure from all police forces, including the Met, to get the Royal Engineers in if they need to carry out a controlled detonation.

Or in this case the Royal Logistic Corps. Just depends on the location and where the closest EOD (Bomb Disposal) team are located; be it RAF, RN or Army.
  • Controlled explosion been carried out
  • edited May 2016
    Simon E said:

LuckyReds said:

You're most likely correct.

I just thought that was the case for old ordnance - as the Royal Engineers tend to do most of the WW2 bombs that get found. However, I thought in the case of a terror attack or something akin to an IED, the Royal Logistics Corps' Ammunition Technicians took over and The Met had some form of capability for that internally. I guess I'm basing that on stuff I've read about The Troubles around 30 years ago to be fair, so I'm most certainly wrong!

Edit: Just seen @bazjonster mention it's down to location, that makes infinitely more sense than me thinking it depended upon the type of threat!
  • LuckyReds said:

Simon E said:

LuckyReds said:

You're most likely correct.

I just thought that was the case for old ordnance - as the Royal Engineers tend to do most of the WW2 bombs that get found. However, I thought in the case of a terror attack or something akin to an IED, the Royal Logistics Corps' Ammunition Technicians took over and The Met had some form of capability for that internally. I guess I'm basing that on stuff I've read about The Troubles around 30 years ago to be fair, so I'm most certainly wrong!

Edit: Just seen @bazjonster mention it's down to location, that makes infinitely more sense than me thinking it depended upon the type of threat!
    Yeah, we had them come down and carry out one outside Tower Hill station. About 10yrs ago admittedly. Turned out to be some bloke's tool box, with a very expensive power drill in it. It was in small tiny bits by the end.

It is very possible that the package at Old Trafford was harmless. And I sincerely hope it was.
  • Here Here Simon. I hope it was innocent. My father is sadly a palarse fan and is off to the cup final next weekend.

I've already said not to go, but he is determined to go one way or another.

Hopefully we never see the likes of this again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wonder if the game isn't rearranged for after the cup final how that clashes with players off to the euros.
    Do they go anyway? And have was it effectively a reserve game for the premier league game.

Most important thing from today is everyone safe.
  • As it happens the match itself will be a bit of a non event now, I imagine both clubs will want to get it out of the away as quickly as possible
  • As it happens the match itself will be a bit of a non event now, I imagine both clubs will want to get it out of the away as quickly as possible

Except both will earn a lot more by moving up one league place and it could impact on Utd getting a Uefa cup place (hopefully they qualify anyway due to winning the FA Cup)

• edited May 2016

Can't believe how non-plussed / source of jokes most people seem to be about this all

I've been keeping an eye on it - and although I don't agree with the number of jokes - I simply don't think it's worth worrying about right now.

Facts are yet to be confirmed, and everyone was evacuated appropriately. All that can really be taken from the situation so far is that:

- MUFC have a well trained stewarding and safety team.
    - GMP acted in good time to abandon the match.
    - The Army were also able to respond in due time and carry out their own actions successfully.

It is scary, but hopefully this has all been a precaution and the dog indicated on the package in error? If that's not the case then sadly it marks yet another dark day; and hundreds are quite likely incredibly lucky to be going home with their families today. With that mind, let's just cling to the hope right now that it was all a mistake.

If it wasn't a mistake, and there was a credible threat in the form a bomb, then one would expect this to change a lot of things. It would mark a change in the tactics and threats that we're currently expecting, and potentially even a new foe. (As mentioned in the news this week about groups in Northern Ireland becoming a threat again.)

(I've edited my post, because apparently I can't type or form correct sentences today.)
  • Mobile phone found In toilet with wires hanging from it apparently
  • I think in the world today then any large gathering of people could be a target.

Sad to say that but its true.
  • Mobile phone found In toilet with wires hanging from it apparently

Sadly, if that's true, then this does look like something very serious.