Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Igor Vetokele - Relegation Clause = Free Transfer This Summer

Comments

• Options
    UNDISCLOSED is the norm so doubt we will get definitive confirmation.

If it were to be true surely others in the club with experience Murray / Parkes etc could have observed if privy to the detail and offered opinion. Not to say the management didn't ignore though.

I doubt Meire is seen as a soft touch by agents given preference for intra network deals. Equally true that 'network' resources would be able to offer guidance.

Just feasible the club chose to negotiate this but must have been a conscious decision if so.

But let's be honest what value does he truly have or indeed most of the squad relative to reducing the wage bill.

• Options
    Unfortunately you hardly ever see lawyers being sued for negligence.
  • Options
    Nice work Katrien !
  • Options

But let's be honest what value does he truly have or indeed most of the squad relative to reducing the wage bill.

Whatever value he has now is neither here nor there. The point is, what the hell are they thinking putting a release clause like that in his contract?
  • Options

Nice work Katrien !

I have this insane hope that it's a standard clause in all regime business deals, and we'll find that we can be released from regime ownership for free on relegation...
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

RedPanda said:

Let me spin it this way.......On the bright side Roland does not get any money for him..

It's just more debt for the club that we can't recoup. This 3 million euros is what Katrien would deem as "investment" in the club but in reality it's a further 3 million euros we owe him (plus interest).

At the very least this is the sort of thing that drives us the asking price for the club.
    He can load up the debt as much as he wants no one in their right mind is going to pay anywhere near the £38m he purportedly wants, so the level of write off is getting bigger all the time.
    But its still debt owed by 'us' to him - he could pull the plug and sell all assets to recoup his debt.
    Shocking.
    How can he sell all assets if the former directors have a charge over the Land and buildings? Somone the another day drew a good analogy with a game of poker and that is exactly what we have here, Douchbag is fast approaching the point when he decides to stack rather than keep funding a lost cause.

Furthermore It has been said many times that the club is worth more as a going concern than it being run down and wound up.
    Put straight on that by Airman.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

According to Roland, women are better at working within a budget.

Not just a twat but also sexist.

I have nearly always found the opposite in my long term relationships. I keep the budget and mostly find any excesses the missus brings in.

But I wouldn't generalise though, that's probably just me ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Reliably informed that Teixera has exactly the same clause.

Wow, she really is as dumb as a sack full of hammers.

I bet the only player she signed who doesn't have the clause is Roger Johnson!
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Whatever value he has now is neither here nor there. The point is, what the hell are they thinking putting a release clause like that in his contract?
    Presumably it would be seen as the easiest way of getting the wages down i.e. his agent has a freehand to find him his next club. Maybe that allowed us to get him in the first place.

It's a moot point he has given no value this season at all because of injury. No one to blame for that just the risk of signing any player on any terms.

I'm not defending it just observing it probably makes no difference in reality.
  • Options

Missed It said:

Presumably it would be seen as the easiest way of getting the wages down i.e. his agent has a freehand to find him his next club. Maybe that allowed us to get him in the first place.

It's a moot point he has given no value this season at all because of injury. No one to blame for that just the risk of signing any player on any terms.

Fair point. It just defies belief though. The player is an asset on the balance sheet, they are effectively destroying the value of the company in their over-riding obsession with getting the payroll on budget.
  • Options
    As others have said, looked okay for first 11 games of last season. Yes his injuries haven't been managed well, however we don't know if what we saw in those 11 games or so was a little purple patch or what we would've got on a consistent basis. IMO it was a purple patch. One thing a player never loses is his touch, Igor's looked atrocious when he came back.

Would've been good to get some money for him but he's just another failed player associated with this regime. We need a massive clear out to get rid of all the negative memories from RD. I can't see us getting anything from him if he stays
  • Options

No way.... seriously? That would be supreme stupidity seeing as we were deep in the relegation zone when we bought him.
  • Options
    There is, of course, the possibility that this isn't true. Because a Belgian hack tweets -source, one is tempted to ask - it doesn't necessarily mean it's the case.
  • Options
    I guess the logic is to get players with potentially high wages off the wage bill if we are relegated (I recall when we got relegated from the PL sending Marcus Bent out on loan for the season to get his wages off the payroll)

Two flaws

1) No chance of recovering any transfer fee
    2) No incentive for a cynical/unhappy player to give 110% to stave off relegation if they can earn a nice transfer (and signing on fee) from relegation...

• Options

I was surprised he came. Way too good for League One, so you'd think his contract must of had some kind of get out.
  • Options

I guess the logic is to get players with potentially high wages off the wage bill if we are relegated (I recall when we got relegated from the PL sending Marcus Bent out on loan for the season to get his wages off the payroll)

Two flaws

1) No chance of recovering any transfer fee
    2) No incentive for a cynical/unhappy player to give 110% to stave off relegation if they can earn a nice transfer (and signing on fee) from relegation...

Fixed that for you....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw him in his first game for Charlton in pre-season friendly at Pompey - looked sh1t-hot - scored a cracking goal, and gave their defence a torrid time - never really been the same since.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

RedPanda said:

Let me spin it this way.......On the bright side Roland does not get any money for him..

It's just more debt for the club that we can't recoup. This 3 million euros is what Katrien would deem as "investment" in the club but in reality it's a further 3 million euros we owe him (plus interest).

At the very least this is the sort of thing that drives us the asking price for the club.
    He can load up the debt as much as he wants no one in their right mind is going to pay anywhere near the £38m he purportedly wants, so the level of write off is getting bigger all the time.
    But its still debt owed by 'us' to him - he could pull the plug and sell all assets to recoup his debt.
    Shocking.
    How can he sell all assets if the former directors have a charge over the Land and buildings? Somone the another day drew a good analogy with a game of poker and that is exactly what we have here, Douchbag is fast approaching the point when he decides to stack rather than keep funding a lost cause.

Furthermore It has been said many times that the club is worth more as a going concern than it being run down and wound up.
    Put straight on that by Airman.
    Ok, he beat me to it :wink:. I do understand people's fears though about RD being vindictive and raising the club to the ground but he stands to lose a lot more by going down that route albeit still pocket change to him.

He is a 'successful' businessman though and will want the best result minimising any losses as much as possible. Even in a worse case scenario and I said this at the outset of the protests, if it has to be AFC Charlton then so be it as shocking as that outcome may be.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Missed It said:

Beg to differ on the blame.

He was forced to play through a nasty achillies injury last year and he has never been the same since. I'd say whoever was wheeling him out while he was injured last season needs to take responsibility for what has happened to him.
    Doubt in this day and age any player is ever forced to play !

Do agree that our recent record on injuries raises questions on our back room staff responsible but imagine it's too subjective a topic to ever be proven right or wrong on.

I think the real issue here is whether RD will fund relegation or not I.e. will he offload to offset financial losses or will he only offload where players want out. I'm not optimistic as to the answer.
  • Options

Saw him in his first game for Charlton in pre-season friendly at Pompey - looked sh1t-hot - scored a cracking goal, and gave their defence a torrid time - never really been the same since.

Well then hopefully he stays for the next relegation and then we'll really see the best of him.
  • Options
    There will be a number of players out the door as there's a salary cap in league 1

i suspect JBGs 20k a week is not sustainable
  • Options
    I'm not going to credit Meire with the foresight to say this was intentional, but it might actually work in our favour as the more of our 'big earners' we can get off our books right away the better.

Hardly any of them have any resale value, especially as clubs will know we are desperate to shift them and they have largely either been flops or injured all the time. Last time we went down we were stuck with players we couldn't sell on premier league or top end Championship wages and it definitely hindered our ability to rebuild the team like we would have liked.

Igor is, of course, one of the few that , in an ideal world, we'd probably like to keep but I'm sure he'd have left on the cheap anyway.

The trouble is, I don't trust this lot at all with any rebuild, but my hope is that this will help the new owners (I really hope there will be new owners) clear the decks quickly and cheaply ready for the aforementioned rebuild.
  • Options
    Assuming it is true, seems bizarre even for our incompetant so called CEO to agree to a clause like that in the contract of a big money signing, he may not be seen as a major loss to us now two years on but she could not have known that at the time, he is still the most expensive player we have signed since they arrived and he may be able to walk out the door for nothing.

What a unique form of negotiation.

• Options
    Everyone's assuming he'll be off, but the other side of the equation is salary. I don't know how much he's on, but given his injury history, do we think he can get more somewhere else? If he can't he may as well collect his money being injured here.