Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Congratulations Ademola Lookman

Comments

• Options
    If anyone hasn't seen it, this is well worth 2 minutes of your time.

https://www.skysports.com/football/west-ham-vs-fulham/video/428916

What on earth possessed him to try that?

You don’t do it when you’re 4-0 up ffs! Just put your foot through it!
  • Options
    He isn’t good enough to be doing that and mugging keepers off.

• Options
    Ross said:
    Last season Mitrovic scored 4 outta 5 pens for Fulham .. this season he's scored 1 and missed 1 .. question is did Mitty bottle the chance to take yesterday's pen and if there was a problem why did captain Cairney not intervene ?

Mitrovic had done his hamstring which is why he didn’t take the penalty.
    cheers
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Ross said:
    If anyone hasn't seen it, this is well worth 2 minutes of your time.

https://www.skysports.com/football/west-ham-vs-fulham/video/428916

What on earth possessed him to try that?

You don’t do it when you’re 4-0 up ffs! Just put your foot through it!
    I wonder, did he change his mind twice during the run up ? ((:>) .. whatever, he didn't look at all confident at any stage .. off topic, interesting to see that Fulham were the latest to have a player lying on the floor behind a defensive wall to allow the rest of the wall to jump as soon as Creswell struck the ball 
  • Options
    Ha ha, all that time spent in Germany "improving his game" and he can't take a decent penalty. The German's are masters at it so he must have missed that lesson. 
  • Options
    The first players who spring to mind after Paul Mortimer for having magic feet for Cafc are in no particular order: Tony Watt, Joe Aribo and Ademola Lookman.

Tony unfortunately had fewer and fewer magic feet days for cafc after Forest and Huddersfield but Joe managed to adapt his game and grafted as well as the quick feet, Lookman has had a stop start career at Everton and Leipzig, but had started well before making a bad choice in his penalty method at Fulham.
  • Options
    Lookman at least had the balls to step up and take it.

If I was Parker yes I'd feel annoyed with the way Lookman took it but I'd be more concerned at the lack of bottle of my other senior players in stepping up in the absence of Mitrovic. How long has Adie been there? A month? There must be other players senior to him in the penalty stakes at Fulham.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

If I was Parker yes I'd feel annoyed with the way Lookman took it but I'd be more concerned at the lack of bottle of my other senior players in stepping up in the absence of Mitrovic. How long has Adie been there? A month? There must be other players senior to him in the penalty stakes at Fulham.
    Lookman took the ball and decided to take it yes, but who's to say some of the other players lacked the bottle to take it? 

He bottled the actual taking anyway so actually looks even sillier
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    LenGlover said:

Lookman took the ball and decided to take it yes, but who's to say some of the other players lacked the bottle to take it? 

He bottled the actual taking anyway so actually looks even sillier
    I only saw it on Match of The Day but it didn't look as if other senior players were rushing to grab the ball to me.

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Sorry Lookman doesn’t deserve any praise at all. No point having the balls to take it if that was his attempt. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You'd expect an attacking midfielder/support striker to be one of the penalty takers.
  • Options
    Oh dear. Wouldn’t fancy being in the dressing room straight after that if I was him. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Pretty dumb thing to go for in his first Fulham penalty which was to guarantee rescuing a point with the very final kick of the game.
    Still, even De Bruyne blazed wide, hopefully that makes him feel a tiny bit less bad.
    All he has to do is score the winning goal in their next game ....
  • Options
    Only just seen this. What a wally he must feel.

• Options
    He will be one of Fulhams best players this season still. But they will go down.
  • Options
    Worst penalty I have seen in a long while
  • Options
    An incredibly stupid thing to do - I have no idea what he was thinking?

Seems such an unlikely character to attempt this.
  • Options
    Nahki Wells tried one last week - he over hit and the ball sailed over the bar. Lookman did the complete opposite. It's the sort of penalty in training that they have both probably scored on almost every occasion. But is is a "touch" penalty and when nerves take over it is the hardest one of all to execute. It isn't like a Taylor or Jorginho penalty in the sense that they both wait for the keeper to commit and then place the ball on the other side. They are side footing it anyway and not trying to "dink" it.

The other issue with the panenka is that when you've done it once, goalkeepers know that there is a chance that you will do it again and will stand their ground for the time that you do it. Most of Harry Kane's penalties are to the keeper's right but he hits it so cleanly and right in the corner that even the most committed keeper can't reach it. Bob Curits used to do the same but in the top corner which is why he was so successful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nahki Wells tried one last week - he over hit and the ball sailed over the bar. Lookman did the complete opposite. It's the sort of penalty in training that they have both probably scored on almost every occasion. But is is a "touch" penalty and when nerves take over it is the hardest one of all to execute. It isn't like a Taylor or Jorginho penalty in the sense that they both wait for the keeper to commit and then place the ball on the other side. They are side footing it anyway and not trying to "dink" it.

The other issue with the panenka is that when you've done it once, goalkeepers know that there is a chance that you will do it again and will stand their ground for the time that you do it. Most of Harry Kane's penalties are to the keeper's right but he hits it so cleanly and right in the corner that even the most committed keeper can't reach it. Bob Curits used to do the same but in the top corner which is why he was so successful.
    When you have a penalty you have the easiest chance to score in the whole game. You versus the keeper from 12 yards out.

Therefore, why would you do anything that reduces the chances of you scoring? Hit it on target, as hard as you can, in a corner preferably. If the keeper saves it then fair play, there's nothing else you could have done. However, if you try and be fancy and panenka it or anything else then you look like a right wally when the keeper saves it.
  • Options
    So what he missed a penalty, hindsight is great sometimes.... 

Agree what a time to try it, could have snatched a draw but just stupid. He has still been one of there best if not best player recently, hopefully he will still continue that good form. Not sure Parker will be happy but he cant really drop him when they are desperate to get something going. 

KDB missed a penalty in a big game, granted he didn't try to be flash/ clever. But on the face of it similar it could have been a big 3 points for City, i realise i have just compared him to Lookman but more through context, if it was for 3 points not 1, it would be worse. Bad decision but if he scored he would have been a genius lol 

This is exactly what will happen when Taylor misses a penalty, as its different and shouldn't work... although still waiting
  • Options
    It’s a mistake but he shouldn’t be faffing about with pretty penalties in Fulham’s position. Pick a corner and drill it. 
    Poor by Lookman. He’ll learn from it though. 
  • Options
    One thing is absolutely certain and that is that Lookman will never ever try a panenka again. He might not even get the chance to take another penalty anyway!
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Defender playing Bergkamp onside to unsight the Kiely there...
  • Options
    Last kick of the game and nailed down certainty the keeper will dive one way or another. You can hit the keeper before he's dived if it's blasted down the middle, which is why a panenka  is effective. So not joining in with those saying it was madness, it was just a shit execution of a panenka penalty.
  • Options
    Maybe fulham down, cafc up and leipzing sell him to us? 🕺🏼
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    2121 said:
    Maybe fulham down, cafc up and leipzing sell him to us? 🕺🏼
    I would welcome him back, without a second thought... But only as a loan until we're in the promised land...

I don't want us to waste the money on a transfers that are overpriced just because we have a wealthy owner.