Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who's going to stay/go when we go down(players)

Comments

• No one knows though do they?

If Roland sacks Katrien and employs a decent CEO, pledges to spend as much as it takes to get back to the championship and then challenge for the premiership, after all the flying pigs have landed, we could keep a mid table championship team (under half decent management).

Or, he may give us the best present of his tenure and sell. Depending on the buyer the same may happen.

Or, he could as we all fear and expect, he could dig his heels in, sell or release whoever is too pricey or makes up the books in his balancing the books plan, and we end up with at best 4 good players and the balance of U21, and we struggle all season.
  • It's weird {meaning unique} when we look at the squad and all these players we are saying are too good for league one....yet that's exactly where we are heading.

I'm not sure they are too good for league one though. I have a very clinical view. They've ended up in league one. I know the managerial changes haven't helped, but these players have to take responsibility.

Is Harriott actually good enough for the championship? Does he turn it on consistently. We get the odd bit of skill but we also get step overs that go into a cul de sac. Is Jackson able to compete over a season at Championship level? Is Fox strong enough at LB? Have we actually got the cutting edge up front and the ability to break teams down. Our goals for is one of the worst in the division. For me we have got a league one team. Anything else is making excuses for them
  • edited April 2016
  • hope Bergdich leaves
  • edited April 2016
    iamdan said:
    Was just looking at that. Olympiacos manager has previous links with Sporting (Lisbon) and may be keen on Naby Sarr.

This has to be our one in a million absolute best shot at getting anything back on our 'investment'.

Whatever they offer...take it.
  • I'd give Staunton a contract as well as Phillips (and send him out on loan to League 2 Cheltenham).

I'd like a team of
    Pope
    Solly Tex Bauer THD
    NEW RW Cousins Kahshi Harriott
    Lookman and a new striker

From that team, I think 5 of them won't be with us next season.

We should keep the likes of Fox, JJ etc but the first teasers not mentioned won't be here in my opinion.
  • in an ideal world, as follows:

sell Hendo (too injury prone), Sarr (not good enough for league one), JBG (would not stay and if we forced him, would not play), Fox (not good enough), Ceballos and Ba and Bergdich, Watt (bridges seem burnt)

release Motta, Johnson, Dmitrovic,

Jackson to coaching staff

Goalkeepers
    Nick Pope - competes with new experienced keeper for number one spot
    Mitov or Phillips as cover/number 3.

Right Backs
    Chris Solly

Centre Backs
    Patrick Bauer
    Rod Fanni
    Harry Lennon
    Jorge Teixeira

Left Backs
    bring in experience
    Tareiq Holmes-Dennis

Right Midfielders
    2 experienced players to arrive

Central Midfielders
    Jordan Cousins
    Alou Diarra
    Ahmed Kashi 2018

Left Midfielders
    Callum Harriott
    new experienced player

Strikers
    Ademola Lookman
    Igor Vetokele
    Karlan Ahearne-Grant - send on season loan
    another 2 experienced players to join

younguns can fill in occasionally but only when ready/good enough and ad hoc/at our choice, not forced by a squad too small.

wont happen though!
  • Oakster said:

Wasnt Texeira on the verge of going to one of the New York MLS clubs but opted to join us instead?

I asked him before a recent home game if he was going to be at The Valley next season, his response was "I don't know". I expect Texeira to be off in the summer.
  • forgot to mention in my previous post .. Josh Umerah is a real unit and showed to me in his brief cameo appearance during the 6-0 hiding at Hull, that he has the potential and probably more importantly, the bottle to be a player .. he's just a kid but MUST be retained and should play a fairly big role next season, a sink or swim one for many of our younger players

That sounds like good news for Roland. He'll be able to flog him at the end of next season then.
  • We're barely conceding goals at the moment with Teixeira and Fanni in our Defence... Would love it if they stayed next season!!
  • Sponsored links:

• iamdan said:
    Was just looking at that. Olympiacos manager has previous links with Sporting (Lisbon) and may be keen on Naby Sarr.

This has to be our one in a million absolute best shot at getting anything back on our 'investment'.

Yeah, but knowing the regime, he'll be sold off at a loss and he will turn out to be an excellent defender in a couple of seasons. Oh, how we'll laugh.....

I haven't seen as much of him as most, but I do worry that Sarr might be suffering from the regime approach of bringing in a player from abroad and expecting them to slot right in (a situation made worse by the fact that he is not the finished article).

In my mind, he should have been loaned out for the first half of this season to a League 1 team.
  • iamdan said:

Yeah, but knowing the regime, he'll be sold off at a loss and he will turn out to be an excellent defender in a couple of seasons. Oh, how we'll laugh.....

I haven't seen as much of him as most, but I do worry that Sarr might be suffering from the regime approach of bringing in a player from abroad and expecting them to slot right in (a situation made worse by the fact that he is not the finished article).

In my mind, he should have been loaned out for the first half of this season to a League 1 team.
    He shouldn't have been signed in the first place. Has never had a long run of first team football - how could anyone judge whether he was going to be good enough?
  • Fanni is only on loan.
  • I am calling my agent for an urgent summer transfer and I am not even in the playing squad.
  • To get the best price for a player, you have to have one that other clubs want to buy and set a price you are not willing to go below. Even if that means not selling them. I’m pretty sure we did that with Bent when a few clubs were trying to get him on the cheap. Roland would have to big up the fact that he is rich enough to cover losses and won't sell players on the cheap, but the club are more likely to make statements around the need to cut it’s cloth which will have the sharks swarming.
  • Imagine if we could build a league 1 team around bauer, tex, kashi, cousins.That should be the aim. would be very solid and in my opinion we should do our utmost do that.Would like to keep Vetokele,Mak and motta too but cant see that happening at all.
  • It will be kids and a mix of League 1 players signed on freebies. Anyone expecting anyone half decent to still be here is deluded.

Very true. We have seen the evidence how clueless they are - League one won't be negotiated with their lack of knowledge, unless they buy their way out, which is not Roland's way!
  • It will be kids and a mix of League 1 players signed on freebies. Anyone expecting anyone half decent to still be here is deluded.

Completely agree. Roland's approach is to try to break even at the level you are at. It means that just as he would not invest to compete in the Championship he will not invest to compete for promotion in League One. when you add in the incompetence of the management team there is only way way, down.

We know enough about him not not to be under any illusions. He will kill the club if he stays.
  • Southbank said:

It will be kids and a mix of League 1 players signed on freebies. Anyone expecting anyone half decent to still be here is deluded.

Completely agree. Roland's approach is to try to break even at the level you are at. It means that just as he would not invest to compete in the Championship he will not invest to compete for promotion in League One. when you add in the incompetence of the management team there is only way way, down.

We know enough about him not not to be under any illusions. He will kill the club if he stays.
    Sadly, I think that is almost inevitable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Our absolute worst-case, fire sale scenario team would look something like this:

------------------Mitov-----------------
    ----------------------------------------
    Solly--------Sarr--------Lennon----Edwards
    Charles-Cook--Muldoon--Jackson--Bergdich(?)
    ------Ahearne-Grant-----Umerah----------

Solly staying for injury; Jacko cos where else will he get what we're paying him (I presume); Sarr and Bergdich cos no-one would want them and they're shit.

Ba would probably be around. Youngsters - Kennedy; Thomas; Konsa, from those with squad numbers. Plus a couple more.

Hendo [someone takes him];
    Suk-Young [loan];
    Kashi [based on previous career];
    Bauer [potential];
    JBG [good at football];
    Cousins [good at football];
    Makienok [loan];
    Ceballos [who's frozen out];
    Harriott [contract option not taken up?];
    Diarra [age no renewal for wages];
    Igor [someone takes a punt];
    Fanni [loan];
    Reza [out of contract];
    THD [apparently wants to move on?];
    Fox [someone takes a punt];
    Pigott [out of contract?];
    Sanogo [loan];
    Johnson [cancelled contract, though that'd be a good thing];
    Tucudean [lol where is he];
    Pope [someone sees him as a player];
    Watt [someone takes a punt];
    Lookman [obviously];
    Poyet [loan];
    Motta [out of contract];
    Teixeira [someone spots him as a bargain]

- They all go.

They won't all go I don't think, and we have a good chance at retaining Kashi/Bauer/Harriott/Diarra/Igor/THD/Fox/Johnson/Pope/Teixeira... which would be very handy. But worth the mental exercise, this.
  • PaddyP17 said:

Our absolute worst-case, fire sale scenario team would look something like this:

------------------Mitov-----------------
    Solly--------Sarr--------Lennon----Edwards
    Charles-Cook--Muldoon--Jackson--Bergdich(?)
    ------Ahearne-Grant-----Umerah----------

Solly staying for injury; Jacko cos where else will he get what we're paying him (I presume); Sarr and Bergdich cos no-one would want them and they're shit.

Ba would probably be around. Youngsters - Kennedy; Thomas; Konsa, from those with squad numbers. Plus a couple more.

Hendo [someone takes him];
    Suk-Young [loan];
    Kashi [based on previous career];
    Bauer [potential];
    JBG [good at football];
    Cousins [good at football];
    Makienok [loan];
    Ceballos [who's frozen out];
    Harriott [contract option not taken up?];
    Diarra [age no renewal for wages];
    Igor [someone takes a punt];
    Fanni [loan];
    Reza [out of contract];
    THD [apparently wants to move on?];
    Fox [someone takes a punt];
    Pigott [out of contract?];
    Sanogo [loan];
    Johnson [cancelled contract, though that'd be a good thing];
    Tucudean [lol where is he];
    Pope [someone sees him as a player];
    Watt [someone takes a punt];
    Lookman [obviously];
    Poyet [loan];
    Motta [out of contract];
    Teixeira [someone spots him as a bargain]

- They all go.

They won't all go I don't think, and we have a good chance at retaining Kashi/Bauer/Harriott/Diarra/Igor/THD/Fox/Johnson/Pope/Teixeira... which would be very handy. But worth the mental exercise, this.

Good post.
    What do you reckon regarding the coaching and scouting and managing the football staff?

• edited April 2016
    I expect us to sell anyone that we can & even let them go for free, if they can't be sold & are on a decent wage, exactly as they did with Morrison.

We'll be left with Pope, Solly, Fox, Jackson, players we can't get rid of, more academy players (remember RD said we weren't playing enough on his last visit) and a few free or cheap transfers.
  • braydex said:

Pigott could feature for us next season - he was well liked at Southend and proved he could score goals at League 1 level when given the service. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of other League 1 teams looking at him if his contract is up this year?

Pigott will not be with us next season.
  • dickplumb said:

braydex said:

Pigott could feature for us next season - he was well liked at Southend and proved he could score goals at League 1 level when given the service. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of other League 1 teams looking at him if his contract is up this year?

I wish Joe well but if he is anywhere near the team plans for next season then our worst fears are realised.
  • Oakster said:

Wasnt Texeira on the verge of going to one of the New York MLS clubs but opted to join us instead?

I asked him before a recent home game if he was going to be at The Valley next season, his response was "I don't know". I expect Texeira to be off in the summer.
    BAD news ((:<)
  • I don't know why Katrien said on the 8th August 2015 'I realise that from now on there is nobody to hide behind anymore', she's got two faces, surely she can hide behind one of them?
  • This makes for really depressing reading ffs!
    After all the hope at the beginning of the season, and yes I was one of the 'idiots' that actually wanted to give old 'Belgium Bollocks' a chance!
    Looking at the players that most people think will leave is gutting............WHY don't they give us fans one season to try and get back up? It's not as if we have a Ronaldo, Messi (yeah I know we have messi junior)but you know what I mean. If they were that good we wouldn't be deep in the shit like we are. I know we've had nearly more managers than points and the owner has not been willing to invest some of his millions in the team BUT SURELY this group of players need to step up and have a good look at themselves, after all they are earning a bloody good wage! I know some will just want to go anyway but as Sir Chris said "you have to have the right players to get out of league 1 AND players that 'fit in' and ARE Charlton players.
    Talking about 'Messi junior' I really hope he stays, he could be the main man in our attempt to get out of that shit league!

Here's hoping for some good news soon eh......................................................................
  • dickplumb said:

braydex said:

He's basically been told as much I assume? Obviously you watch a lot more of the youth sides than I do but given he's 21-22 and we have KAG, Hanlan, Umerah, et al in the same position can't say letting him go is a poor decision.
  • Southbank said:

It will be kids and a mix of League 1 players signed on freebies. Anyone expecting anyone half decent to still be here is deluded.

Wow, think you have sumarised very well. If they are not going to invest to makes us competetive in the Championship, there's no reason to think they will do it in league 1.

Only hope is that the fear of bigger losses in league 1 or fall in value of the club force them to invest to get us out straight away. But I don't think they think like this.