Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who's going to stay/go when we go down(players)

Comments

• edited April 2016
    The aim is to win the league next season I would guess so on that biases, the only people I would trust to achieve this are:

Goalkeepers
    Stephen Henderson 2017
    Nick Pope 2018

Right Backs
    Chris Solly 2017

Centre Backs
    Harry Lennon 2018
    Jorge Teixeira 2020

Left Backs

Right Midfielders

Central Midfielders
    Jordan Cousins 2019
    Johnnie Jackson 2017

Left Midfielders
    Callum Harriott 2016 plus possible option

Strikers
    Ademola Lookman 2020

• Oakster said:

Wasnt Texeira on the verge of going to one of the New York MLS clubs but opted to join us instead?

Yup so imagine that deal happening this time... think it was to the New York Red Bulls
  • sam3110 said:

Pope Mitov ****
    Solly **** Teixeira Bauer Sarr Lennon Fox THD
    **** Harriott Cousins Diarra Kashi **** Jackson Ba Bergdich ****
    Lookman Umerah KAG **** ****

There will be a new GK, a new RB, a new RW, a new LW a new attack minded CM and 2 new CF's.

7 players in, about 15 out

Same in's and outs as last year then.. so another year with no squad depth...
  • Scoham said:

Pedro45 said:

Whoever does go it will be for a lot less in league 1 than if we remained in the Championship, especially with the new premier league TV money swimming around next season and that is bad news for RD!

I am guessing that we may see the following moved on to help balance the books;

Henderson (Could have fetched around £1m if in Championship for an Intl keeper, lucky to get £500k in league 1)

Bauer (Again, probably looking at around £1m in Championship, lucky to get £750k in league 1)

Teixeira (Made a decent impact at Championship level so could have got around £750k at that level but more like £500k in league 1)

JBG (With a half decent Euro Championships behind him we could have asked for around £5m if still in Championship, would be lucky to get £3m tops in league 1 and that is at a push)

Cousins (In the Championship maybe £3m at a push but in league 1 would be looking at around £1m)

Lookman (In the Championship we could have asked for around £5m for a young forward with potential, would be lucky to get £3m tops in league 1)

Of course we will never know the true fees as all will be undisclosed and straight into Roly's pocket. He will asset strip the squad to the bare bones before selling up and heading back to Belgium, just like he did at SL!

Thats a huge amount of money coming in presuming we sell them all, but we won't have anyone here that will be able to spend it wisely.
    Look what SCP was able to build from just the sale of Jenkinson. Although Riga doesn't have the worst transfer record I'd be worried at the proposition of him spending all that money when that kind of cash won't come about again in League 1.
    What makes you think our manager will get anything to spend? Any sales revenue will go straight to RD and CAFC will not have anything to spend on transfers.
    Before January the club said they've spent £9m on players since RD took over.

For me the worry isn't that RD won't spend to get back up, more that he'll spend but much of it will continue be wasted on poor signings on long contracts.

I think we'll see them try to bring in more British based players, but I wouldn't have much confidence in them getting it right.
    Agreed. The players brought in in Jan/Feb (Motta, Tex, Fanni, Young) are probably on pretty big wages, even if only one came with a transfer fee. The issue is less about money to spend and more about how it's spent.

Here's who I would expect to go:
    Hendo: A good second choice keeper for a lot of Championship clubs. Probably on decent wages and given that we have three (Pope, Mitov, Phillips) good, young goalkeepers, plus the fact that getting a decent keeper on loan isn't all that hard, I think he might be surplus to requirements.

Motta: Can't see him dropping down another level, as I think he's just too good. My only slight hope is that he was unattached for six months before signing with us.

Fanni: Back to Al Ahali (is that right?)

Young: Back to QPR

Bergdich: Wages too high and just hasn't done enough. Think there is a player in there but not one I'd gamble on in League One

Kashi: Yes he was injured most of the year, but he had a career before that that scouts will be able to look at. He's just far too good for League One, and could probably be playing in the top flight in France, Holland, Belgium, etc. Best we can hope for is a loan with him coming back if we're promoted. He and Igor really should have been the great coups of this regime's recruitment policy, and unfortunately this season we've seen next to nothing of them.

JBG: Wouldn't be surprised to see him move up to the Premier League or another first division. He's a better player when playing with good players, think he could really explode for his next club.

Sanogo: Back to Arsenal but he'll be missed. Would have been interesting to have had him all year.

Mak: Wages must be too high for League One. I think he's a decent footballer, and you need a big man in League One, and he's a big man who can play football, but just can't see him sticking around.

Igor: Injuries or otherwise, far too good for the third tier. Best we could hope for is a loan with an agreed fee.

Watt: Hasn't wanted to be here for some time and hasn't been shy about it

Reza: Out of contract, nice to get him off the wage bill, best of luck

Cousins: Young English players are at a premium. He's raw but he has the athleticism and workrate to become a good player with some good coaching. I suspect we'll get offer for him which are just too good to turn down. Think he'll end up at a lower level/recently promoted Premier League side.

Lookman: I do think he could use another year with either us or a Championship club to help his development. He is still very inexperienced, very young, and very raw. But that's not how football works these days. Good young English players are at a premium and he'll be scooped up by a premier league side for his potential if nothing else. Only hope would be he comes back to us on loan.

RoJo: I think we'll find a way to get rid

Players We Have a Chance of Holding On To:

Bauer: If social media is anything to go by he seems to be settled in well and has an affinity for the club. He's still young, especially by CB standards. I can't see him having a massive number of suitors or commanding a fee that is too good to turn down.

Tex: He live tweeted Standard's cup final, showing he still has a real love for the club (and seems to be loved by the supporters). Feel that building here too. He's a bit of a journeyman, so hoping he has taken to London and wants to settle down. Definitely too good for League One, but at 29 on a long term contract I can't see him having too many suitors. Future club captain.

Diarra: If we have any wits about us we'll offer him some sort of player/coach role, which I think would be excellent for him. After all the injury trouble he's had this year, and in his career in general, he may just be ready to retire.

Pope: Again, young and English and counts as "homegrown" to clubs higher up. Starting to show some real form and maturity. Could see him get offers to be third choice keeper and homegrown player for a Prem side.

Harriott: Has excelled at this level. Is good and is young and is English, but he's quite raw. Could see other sides coming in for him, but think he'll only leave if he's set on leaving.

Ceballos: Something has gone terrible wrong with him this season. Not sure if it's just injuries, or other factors like attitude and playing style. He has the technique to be too good for League One, but I don't know if any clubs will come in for him. If he is fit and wants to be here I think he'd be a very good attacking outlet in League One

It doesn't make for particularly good reading. It's a reminder that we have some pretty decent players, many of whom have been injured, joined in February, or have underperformed this year.

This would leave us with:
    Mitov
    Phillips
    Solly
    Sarr
    Lennon
    Fox
    THD
    Jackson
    Ba
    RCC
    Dijksteel
    Harriott
    Ceballos
    KAG
    Hanlan
    Umerah

With any luck:
    Bauer
    Tex
    Diarra
    Pope

The good news is I think young players like KAG, THD, RCC, and Hanlan/Umerah are ready to be playing regular first team senior football, and if we weren't being relegated it'd probably be the next step for many of them (on loan if not with us).
  • My view,

They will thin the squad this financial year taking a hit on Curious George and Roger the Dodger

Released/ Paid off

Goalkeepers

Marko Dmitrovic 2016 - (Loaned to Alcorcon until end of 2015/6 season)
    Dillon Phillips 2016 (On loan to Cheltenham for remainder of the season)

Right Backs

Rod Fanni (on loan from Al Arabia until end of 2015/16 season)
    Marco Motta 2016

Centre Backs

Josh Staunton 2016
    Ayo Obileye 2016 
    Roger Johnson 2017

Left Backs

Yun Suk-Young (on loan from QPR until end of 2015/16 season)

Central Midfielders

Diego Poyet (On loan from West Ham until end of 2015/16 season)
    Joe Aribo (2016 estimated)
    Alex Kelly 2016 or 2017 (estimated)
    Alou Diarra 2016 plus one year option

Left Midfielders 

Strikers

Simon Makienok (Loaned from Palermo until end of 2015/16 season)
    Reza Ghoochannejhad 2016
    Yaya Sonogo (On loan from Arsenal until end of 2015/16 season)
    Joe Pigott 2016 (on loan to Luton Town to end of the season)
    Zak Ansah 2016
    Tobi Sho-Silva 2016 
    George Tucudean 2017 (On loan to ASA Tirgu Mures of Romania Not Confirmed)
  • Sell off any saleable assets to offset the drop in income from TV money and protesting fans

For Sale

Goalkeepers

Stephen Henderson 2017

Centre Backs

Patrick Bauer 2019
    Jorge Teixeira 2020 

Right Midfielders 
    Jóhann Berg Guðmundsson 2019

Central Midfielders

Jordan Cousins 2019
    Ahmed Kashi 2018

Left Midfielders 

Zakarya Bergdich 2019

Strikers

Ademola Lookman 2020
    Igor Vetokele 2019
    Tony Watt 2018 (Loaned to Blackburn Rovers until end of 2015/6 season) 
  • Leaving us with these to fight off a second successive relegation in front of an empty stadium

Squad

Goalkeepers

Nick Pope 2018
    Dimitar Mitov 2017 plus one year option
    Jordan Beeney 2018 (had heard he signed a 2 year scholarship and 2 year pro deal)

Right Backs

Chris Solly 2017
    Aaron Barnes 2016 or 2017 (estimated)

Centre Backs

Naby Sarr 2020
    Harry Lennon 2018
    Ezri Konsa 2017 Undisclosed "Long Term"
    Terell Thomas 2017 
    Kenneth Yao - undisclosed long term contract

Left Backs

Morgan Fox 2018
    Tareiq Holmes-Dennis 2018
    Archie Edwards 2016 or 2017 (estimated)

Right Midfielders 

Central Midfielders

Johnnie Jackson 2017
    El-Hadji Ba 2018
    Cristian Ceballos 2018
    Regan Charles-Cook Undisclosed "Long Term"
    Oliver Muldoon 2017 (On loan to Dagenham and Redbridge until end of season) 
    George Lapslie 2017 or 2018 (estimated)
    Anfernee Dijksteel - 2017

Left Midfielders 

Strikers

Karlan Ahearne-Grant 2017 plus 1 year option 
    Mikhail Kennedy 2018
    Josh Umerah 2016 or 2017 (estimated)
    Brandon Hanlan 2016 or 2017 (estimated)
  • If anyone I really hope that Karlan can get his confidence back in the sense of having a really good pre-season and start of next... I've always liked the look of him ever since I saw him against Fulham on the TV last season.

There is a player there who has been hindered by the miss-management of the club yet reckon League One could aid his overall development just like it helped Chris Solly etc. to become better players.
  • My worry is that you can see these jokers doing this and realising enough money from player sales to balance the books next year. If we flogged that lot they could even make a profit!
  • edited April 2016
    I should imagine there are many an envious eye being cast over our squad... in Belgium!

Mainly part time park outfits wanting to unload some shit players on us!
  • Sponsored links:

• We need to make at least four signings, as a matter of urgency - plus replacements for any players we sell (eg Henderson, Gudmundsson, Cousins, Looman, Vetokele, Watt)

I believe you need to start the season with 23 players. Three goalkeepers, four full-backs, four centre-backs, four central midfielders, four wide players and four strikers. (This is basically two XIs with an extra keeper).

I also assume anyone currently here on loan will leave at the end of the season.

GK
    Henderson, Pope, Dmitrovic
    (or, possibly Henderson will go, Pope and Dmitrovic will move up one in the order and Mitov will be third choice)

Full-backs
    Solly, Fox, Holmes-Dennis
    So Motta will have to be signed on a new contract or a new right back signed

Centre-backs
    Bauer, Johnson, Sarr, Lennon, Teixeira
    So we could afford to lose one of these.

Wide players
    Gudmundsson, Harriott, Bergdich
    So we need one more (or two more if Gudmundsson goes)

Central Midfielders
    Cousins, Diarra, Jackson, Kashi, Ba, Ceballos
    So we need two more

Strikers
    Lookman, Vetokele, Ahearne-Grant, Watt, Tucudean
    So we can afford to lose one of these (presumably Watt - therefore replacements need to be found for Lookman if he's sold and Tucudean if he can't be found)

• My worry is that you can see these jokers doing this and realising enough money from player sales to balance the books next year. If we flogged that lot they could even make a profit!

I doubt it, I think only two of our players Lookman and Gudmundsson would we get any real amount of money for and even those two will at best bring in half the amount he will lose on us being in League 1 next season.
  • Pedro45 said:

It's not who should stay, but who will we be able to afford...with RD in control, revenue will be so low that almost all will be sold in the summer, or if we cannot off-load them for a fee, then loaned out prior to the end of August. RD will want to maximise transfer revenue to give him an option of selling the club, so don't expect anyone of value to be left...

I expect the following to be gone by the end of August -

Henderson
    Motta
    Suk-Young
    Bauer
    Teixeira
    Diarra
    Fanni
    Fox
    Kashi
    Cousins
    Gudmundsson
    Vetokele
    Lookman
    Bergdich
    Ba
    Sarr
    Ghoochenajhad
    Poyet
    Makienok
    Sanogo
    Watt
    Ceballos
    Tucadean

This will leave us with a squad of -

Pope
    Mitov
    Solly
    Charles-Cook
    Holmes-Dennis
    Lennon
    Johnson
    Jackson
    Muldoon
    Lapslie
    Harriot
    Hanlon
    Umerah
    KAG

plus a couple of free transfers and the younger youngsters.

My money is on this being the squad, and that squad would probably take us into league One
  • Anyone that would command a fee will be gone. Sold or loaned. Players like Reza and Johnson released. Players like Bergdich who won't command a fee but might be sought after as a loan.

Our loans will all return.

I'm expecting the first game to include about eight new signings.
  • With every minute from the First Half being taken up as the players take the time to introduce themselves to each other whilst trying to keep the ball out of the net (Why do you think it took an age for us to score before 45mins this season!!)
  • There's no way Johann will come back from the Euros and play third division football. Ideally we'd sell him, get a good fee and reinvest in the squad, but more realistically his sale will be used to cover the massive £7m loss relegation lumps on which we haven't prepared for. I could see Cousins staying if a team didn't take a serious interest but I reckon he'll be actively flogged to raise cash
  • JBG is by far the most saleable asset. Opposition teams know he is our biggest attacking threat, and he has the Euros to impress other teams. Hopefully he'll do well, earn himself a decent move and get us a decent fee.

The likes of Kashi and Igor are in a difficult position, too god for L1 but with question marks over their fitness, especially Igor. Igor could score lots of goals for someone next season, or be unfit and a treatment room hogger. That makes it hard to predict what will happen to him.
  • dickface will underestimate next years league 1, still sounds weird to say it, never thought id be jealous of rotherham!!!, at present i dont think our squad would piss a league 1 season, think we would be top 6 but not at a canter,my prediction is a quick fire sale then he will sell up.
  • There's no way Johann will come back from the Euros and play third division football. Ideally we'd sell him, get a good fee and reinvest in the squad, but more realistically his sale will be used to cover the massive £7m loss relegation lumps on which we haven't prepared for. I could see Cousins staying if a team didn't take a serious interest but I reckon he'll be actively flogged to raise cash

He (cousins) could go but I don't think any prem clubs will be in for him. I don't quite think he's got what it takes to play there, plus with the new prem deal clubs will have more money to compete for better players.

Maybe a champ club would take a punt, but who, and for how much I wonder?
  • Sponsored links:

• Pro Squad
    Goalkeepers

Stephen Henderson 2017
    Nick Pope 2018

Right Backs

Chris Solly 2017
    Rod Fanni - gets permanent deal.
    Marco Motta - gets permanent deal.

Centre Backs

Patrick Bauer 2019
    Naby Sarr 2020
    Harry Lennon 2018
    Jorge Teixeira 2020

Left Backs

Morgan Fox 2018
    Tareiq Holmes-Dennis 2018

Right Midfielders

Jóhann Berg Guðmundsson 2019

Central Midfielders

Jordan Cousins 2019
    Alou Diarra 2016 plus one year option
    Johnnie Jackson 2017
    Ahmed Kashi 2018
    El-Hadji Ba 2018
    Cristian Ceballos 2018

Left Midfielders

Zakarya Bergdich 2019

Strikers

Ademola Lookman 2020 - likely to go.
    Igor Vetokele 2019
    Karlan Ahearne-Grant 2017 plus 1 year option

U21 Development Squad

Goalkeepers

Dimitar Mitov 2017 plus one year option
    Jordan Beeney 2018 (had heard he signed a 2 year scholarship and 2 year pro deal)

Right Backs

Centre Backs

Ezri Konsa 2017 Undisclosed "Long Term"
    Terell Thomas 2017
    Kenneth Yao - undisclosed long term contract

Left Backs

Central Midfielders

Regan Charles-Cook Undisclosed "Long Term" (Promoted)

Strikers

Mikhail Kennedy 2018

• cabbles said:

There's no way Johann will come back from the Euros and play third division football. Ideally we'd sell him, get a good fee and reinvest in the squad, but more realistically his sale will be used to cover the massive £7m loss relegation lumps on which we haven't prepared for. I could see Cousins staying if a team didn't take a serious interest but I reckon he'll be actively flogged to raise cash

He (cousins) could go but I don't think any prem clubs will be in for him. I don't quite think he's got what it takes to play there, plus with the new prem deal clubs will have more money to compete for better players.

Hmm, starts with a 'u'.

I agree though. I think if Cousins goes, it will be to a top half Championship side.
  • cabbles said:

There's no way Johann will come back from the Euros and play third division football. Ideally we'd sell him, get a good fee and reinvest in the squad, but more realistically his sale will be used to cover the massive £7m loss relegation lumps on which we haven't prepared for. I could see Cousins staying if a team didn't take a serious interest but I reckon he'll be actively flogged to raise cash

QPR, Reading? Even Aston Villa perhaps?
  • cabbles said:

QPR, Reading? Even Aston Villa perhaps?
    This'll be the sort of club he needs to go to... Cant see him going somewhere like Middlesbrough / Burnley (i.e. a team battling for promotion that might miss out this season), instead could see him joining someone who has maybe just finished adrift of the play-offs or in mid-table.
  • But will we get good money for him. I can't see any of those clubs stumping up £2m. What do we think is possible? I think we could get £1m for him
  • I think one major problem we have - compounded by our thoroughly inept regime - is that we will be selling at the very bottom of the market following relegation. Other clubs know that we are in disarray on and off the field and also know that Roland and Katrien will be looking to cut costs savagely, given the loss of about £4.5 million TV and solidarity payments plus further substantial amounts in respect of ticket sales and commercial income. Couple that with the club's notoriously weak negotiating skills and we will inevitably be receiving some very derisory offers, as other clubs seek to test our resolve.

Preying on the misery of relegated teams is something that opponents will always try and do, just as we did to Wolves, for example, in 1986, when we acquired the great John Humphrey for £60,000 (plus Pender for another £40,000). In an altogether different context, we also remember Middlesbrough's initial bid of £250,000 for Robert Lee in 1992. Expect more of the same for JBG, Cousins and Lookman this summer.

I expect the club to try and desperately move on or loan out several other players and who knows what sort of squad we'll have when we kick off next August. I fear it is going to be fairly brutal and, in the absence of a coherent plan, pretty indiscriminate in terms of reducing the wage bill at all costs.
  • It's weird {meaning unique} when we look at the squad and all these players we are saying are too good for league one....yet that's exactly where we are heading.
  • Blucher said:

I think one major problem we have - compounded by our thoroughly inept regime - is that we will be selling at the very bottom of the market following relegation. Other clubs know that we are in disarray on and off the field and also know that Roland and Katrien will be looking to cut costs savagely, given the loss of about £4.5 million TV and solidarity payments plus further substantial amounts in respect of ticket sales and commercial income. Couple that with the club's notoriously weak negotiating skills and we will inevitably be receiving some very derisory offers, as other clubs seek to test our resolve.

Preying on the misery of relegated teams is something that opponents will always try and do, just as we did to Wolves, for example, in 1986, when we acquired the great John Humphrey for £60,000 (plus Pender for another £40,000). In an altogether different context, we also remember Middlesbrough's initial bid of £250,000 for Robert Lee in 1992. Expect more of the same for JBG, Cousins and Lookman this summer.

I expect the club to try and desperately move on or loan out several other players and who knows what sort of squad we'll have when we kick off next August. I fear it is going to be fairly brutal and, in the absence of a coherent plan, pretty indiscriminate in terms of reducing the wage bill at all costs.

We didn't do too badly when selling Darren Bent after relegation! Not that any of our players are at that level, but it's all about having an asset than many clubs want
  • Pope
    Solly ... Bauer ... Teixeira ... Fox
    Charles-Cook ... Cousins ... Jackson ... Bergdich
    X ... Lookman

Bench: Mitov ... Motta ... Lennon ... Ba ... X ... X ... X

Reckon a side like that could do some serious damage in League One.

That team would struggle to make the play offs.

Particularly with Malcolm X up front.
  • edited April 2016
    forgot to mention in my previous post .. Josh Umerah is a real unit and showed to me in his brief cameo appearance during the 6-0 hiding at Hull, that he has the potential and probably more importantly, the bottle to be a player .. he's just a kid but MUST be retained and should play a fairly big role next season, a sink or swim one for many of our younger players