Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who's going to stay/go when we go down(players)

Comments

• braydex said:

Pigott could feature for us next season - he was well liked at Southend and proved he could score goals at League 1 level when given the service. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of other League 1 teams looking at him if his contract is up this year?

Pigott is on loan at Luton at the mo (assume this has much to do with the Nathan Jones link). I live in Bedfordshire so have a couple of friends who are Luton ST holders... and neither have been impressed with him so far! Shame as he seemed to impress at Southend.
  • If I was the owner – and I am glad I am not. But If I was, I’d try to make a couple of big money sales – probably JBG and Lookman to cover our losses and have a go for it. The problem will be players like Bauer, Cousins, Teixera, etc… who are a fair bit above the level and may not want to drop that far. It won't be easy, and in the hands of idiots has massive potential to go wrong - which is very worrying seeing as we are run by idiots!
  • Whoever does go it will be for a lot less in league 1 than if we remained in the Championship, especially with the new premier league TV money swimming around next season and that is bad news for RD!

I am guessing that we may see the following moved on to help balance the books;

Henderson (Could have fetched around £1m if in Championship for an Intl keeper, lucky to get £500k in league 1)

Bauer (Again, probably looking at around £1m in Championship, lucky to get £750k in league 1)

Teixeira (Made a decent impact at Championship level so could have got around £750k at that level but more like £500k in league 1)

JBG (With a half decent Euro Championships behind him we could have asked for around £5m if still in Championship, would be lucky to get £3m tops in league 1 and that is at a push)

Cousins (In the Championship maybe £3m at a push but in league 1 would be looking at around £1m)

Lookman (In the Championship we could have asked for around £5m for a young forward with potential, would be lucky to get £3m tops in league 1)

Of course we will never know the true fees as all will be undisclosed and straight into Roly's pocket. He will asset strip the squad to the bare bones before selling up and heading back to Belgium, just like he did at SL!

Thats a huge amount of money coming in presuming we sell them all, but we won't have anyone here that will be able to spend it wisely.
    Look what SCP was able to build from just the sale of Jenkinson. Although Riga doesn't have the worst transfer record I'd be worried at the proposition of him spending all that money when that kind of cash won't come about again in League 1.
    What makes you think our manager will get anything to spend? Any sales revenue will go straight to RD and CAFC will not have anything to spend on transfers.
  • braydex said:

Pigott could feature for us next season - he was well liked at Southend and proved he could score goals at League 1 level when given the service. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of other League 1 teams looking at him if his contract is up this year?

Pigott is on loan at Luton at the mo (assume this has much to do with the Nathan Jones link). I live in Bedfordshire so have a couple of friends who are Luton ST holders... and neither have been impressed with him so far! Shame as he seemed to impress at Southend.
    Has Pigott even scored or even played that often whilst @ Luton?

I didnt think he was even getting games and wouldnt be surprised to see him leave and only get a Non-League Contract next season.
  • It's being reported in Greece, That Nabby Sarr is going to be signed by
    Olympiacos !

Katrien won't be pleased! She'll need a new song.
  • It's being reported in Greece, That Nabby Sarr is going to be signed by
    Olympiacos !

Katrien won't be pleased! She'll need a new song.
    Maybe she could pop over to Greece to have another holiday tie up the deal
  • Naby Sarr 2020 what a laughable thing that is.
  • edited April 2016
    Nooo not Naby Sarr...

I hope those Olympiacos officials arent reading CharltonLife, we wont even survive League Two without our best players in Sarr and Johnson, with those two in your Defence, they'll win you ANY League
  • Sponsored links:

• Pope
    Solly ... Bauer ... Teixeira ... Fox
    Charles-Cook ... Cousins ... Jackson ... Bergdich
    X ... Lookman

Bench: Mitov ... Motta ... Lennon ... Ba ... X ... X ... X

Reckon a side like that could do some serious damage in League One.

That team would struggle to make the play offs.
    What against teams that are now mostly made up from Youth teams in League One...
  • Jackson, Harriott, Solly, Fox, Ba, Lennon, Johnson & Pope are the only current first team squad players I expect to be with us next season.

I can see us having a number of players on loan to clubs abroad just to get them off our wage bill.
  • Pope
    Solly ... Bauer ... Teixeira ... Fox
    Charles-Cook ... Cousins ... Jackson ... Bergdich
    X ... Lookman

Bench: Mitov ... Motta ... Lennon ... Ba ... X ... X ... X

Reckon a side like that could do some serious damage in League One.

That team would struggle to make the play offs.
    i know, why are we starting with 10 players when we have 3 guys on the bench!
  • edited April 2016

Jackson, Harriott, Solly, Fox, Ba, Lennon, Johnson & Pope are the only current first team squad players I expect to be with us next season.

I can see us having a number of players on loan to clubs abroad just to get them off our wage bill.

You see I reckon (HOPE) that Johnson will bugger off to America

I just worry that even the MLS has become too good for him (Seeing that Liam Ridgewell is with the Portland Timbers and joined Brighton on loan)
  • Jackson, Harriott, Solly, Fox, Ba, Lennon, Johnson & Pope are the only current first team squad players I expect to be with us next season.

You see I reckon (HOPE) that Johnson will bugger off to America
    Agreed, I hope that too but based on the current regimes past record on running our club I am going to assume he is sitting on a generous contract from us that no other club will match, which means we are stuck with him.
  • The three players that it is very difficult to assess are Vetokele, Bauer and Kashi. None have played enough football this season to guarantee a move they might want. Might be loan options possible but we might just see one or more of these three at least.
  • The three players that it is very difficult to assess are Vetokele, Bauer and Kashi. None have played enough football this season to guarantee a move they might want. Might be loan options possible but we might just see one or more of these three at least.

Reckon players will be put into three categories.

Those that'll stay at the Valley
    Those who'll leave Charlton
    Those who arent good enough anywhere else so will go on a Network loan.

The latter will be players we're unable to sell but wont be able to remain at the club because of their wages, it'll be a good way for the fans to see who is really rubbish as it'll mean no one else is stupid to take them.
  • Pope Mitov ****
    Solly **** Teixeira Bauer Sarr Lennon Fox THD
    **** Harriott Cousins Diarra Kashi **** Jackson Ba Bergdich ****
    Lookman Umerah KAG **** ****

There will be a new GK, a new RB, a new RW, a new LW a new attack minded CM and 2 new CF's.

7 players in, about 15 out
  • Reckon we need about two Wingers on the right... thats a position we've been lacking all season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Simonsen said:

Simonsen said:

Simonsen said:

Alou Diarra 2016 plus one year option;

What does this actually mean?

Its like Callum Harriott... Doesnt it mean that if the club decide we can offer one more year to the player (Who knows its there so for 2016/17 their career is safe) who can then decide whether they too wish to take it up or not?
    So, the same as any other contract that is about to expire?
    Not really because I guess if Kennedy's Contract was to expire without the option, he has to sweat and wonder if an offer will come.

In terms of the Option I wonder if the club even have to decide to offer it... I wonder if Diarra / Harriott only have to walk up to Katrien and say: "I will take you up on that one year option" and it has to be honoured.
    Yes...that would make more sense. I hope that's the case and both players do exactly as you've suggested.
    Its probably no different to a Contract which has a trigger based on the number of Appearances.

The new Contract is honoured the moment the player activates it rather than the club (Although the club do have control over the appearances one; e.g. Rob Green at QPR / Jeffers with us and erm Yann Kermorgant)
    Just to clear up on the One Year Option regarding Diarra and Harriott, as there seems to be a bit of confusion above.

The club has the final say on these. The club chooses to either extend the current contract by a further year, or release at the end of their existing terms. I don't believe the player legally has a say in the matter.
  • Ben18 said:

Simonsen said:

Simonsen said:

Simonsen said:

Its like Callum Harriott... Doesnt it mean that if the club decide we can offer one more year to the player (Who knows its there so for 2016/17 their career is safe) who can then decide whether they too wish to take it up or not?
    Not really because I guess if Kennedy's Contract was to expire without the option, he has to sweat and wonder if an offer will come.

In terms of the Option I wonder if the club even have to decide to offer it... I wonder if Diarra / Harriott only have to walk up to Katrien and say: "I will take you up on that one year option" and it has to be honoured.
    Yes...that would make more sense. I hope that's the case and both players do exactly as you've suggested.
    Its probably no different to a Contract which has a trigger based on the number of Appearances.

The new Contract is honoured the moment the player activates it rather than the club (Although the club do have control over the appearances one; e.g. Rob Green at QPR / Jeffers with us and erm Yann Kermorgant)
    Just to clear up on the One Year Option regarding Diarra and Harriott, as there seems to be a bit of confusion above.

The club has the final say on these. The club chooses to either extend the current contract by a further year, or release at the end of their existing terms. I don't believe the player legally has a say in the matter.
    I assume though that the agreement will already stipulate what their wages will be.

For example while we might want Diarra to stay another year, the wages in the agreement might be too much for L1. If we offer him less, he's got no obligation to stay
  • Ben18 said:

Simonsen said:

Simonsen said:

Simonsen said:

I assume though that the agreement will already stipulate what their wages will be.

For example while we might want Diarra to stay another year, the wages in the agreement might be too much for L1. If we offer him less, he's got no obligation to stay
    that was the opposite of YK, he wanted more than he had agreed to so refused to play the game that would have locked him into the deal
  • Being stuck with some players the club can't shift may actually improve our chances!
  • Pedro45 said:

Whoever does go it will be for a lot less in league 1 than if we remained in the Championship, especially with the new premier league TV money swimming around next season and that is bad news for RD!

I am guessing that we may see the following moved on to help balance the books;

Henderson (Could have fetched around £1m if in Championship for an Intl keeper, lucky to get £500k in league 1)

Bauer (Again, probably looking at around £1m in Championship, lucky to get £750k in league 1)

Teixeira (Made a decent impact at Championship level so could have got around £750k at that level but more like £500k in league 1)

JBG (With a half decent Euro Championships behind him we could have asked for around £5m if still in Championship, would be lucky to get £3m tops in league 1 and that is at a push)

Cousins (In the Championship maybe £3m at a push but in league 1 would be looking at around £1m)

Lookman (In the Championship we could have asked for around £5m for a young forward with potential, would be lucky to get £3m tops in league 1)

Of course we will never know the true fees as all will be undisclosed and straight into Roly's pocket. He will asset strip the squad to the bare bones before selling up and heading back to Belgium, just like he did at SL!

Thats a huge amount of money coming in presuming we sell them all, but we won't have anyone here that will be able to spend it wisely.
    Look what SCP was able to build from just the sale of Jenkinson. Although Riga doesn't have the worst transfer record I'd be worried at the proposition of him spending all that money when that kind of cash won't come about again in League 1.
    What makes you think our manager will get anything to spend? Any sales revenue will go straight to RD and CAFC will not have anything to spend on transfers.
    Before January the club said they've spent £9m on players since RD took over.

For me the worry isn't that RD won't spend to get back up, more that he'll spend but much of it will continue be wasted on poor signings on long contracts.

I think we'll see them try to bring in more British based players, but I wouldn't have much confidence in them getting it right.
  • Being stuck with some players the club can't shift may actually improve our chances!

Sadly the only ones we'll be stuck with will because they're too shite to be shifted!!

like Reza this season?

If the players don't want to be here they will be more of a burden than an asset
  • This summer could be where Roland goes from evil to super-evil. There's plenty of talent in that side contracted beyond the end of this season. We shouldn't really be going down this season without the injuries & mismanagement.

Let's see what happens, I think it'll be pretty bleak.

I predict that Roly will sell anyone of any value and piss off shortly afterwards with a chunk of the debt that we owe him paid off. All under the pretense that he was 'forced out'.
  • Wasnt Texeira on the verge of going to one of the New York MLS clubs but opted to join us instead?
  • This summer could be where Roland goes from evil to super-evil. There's plenty of talent in that side contracted beyond the end of this season. We shouldn't really be going down this season without the injuries & mismanagement.

Let's see what happens, I think it'll be pretty bleak.

I predict that Roly will sell anyone of any value and piss off shortly afterwards with a chunk of the debt that we owe him paid off. All under the pretense that he was 'forced out'.

I hope so, whatever it takes to get him to sell up to someone who wants to actually run a professional football club is fine with me.