Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ipswich v Charlton post-match views 2016

Comments

• We played well last night against long ball merchants who had very little else. The one thing that you have to say though is that Ipswich know how to defend and gave Sanogo and Harriott nothing all game.

Three stand out players for me were Pope, Diarra and Lookman, we were the better team and deserved to win, but it's goals that count! Can't believe we are not closing the gap on those around us, we need a break!

Not going to slate Fox because he had a good game, but three times he was in a great position with players in the box to get in a telling cross and he blasted the ball behind the goal or out on the other side for a throw.

On to QPR, a win for us and other results in our favour for a change - hopefully!

• edited April 2016

The annoying thing is if we keep this squad together next season I think we would go up , but you know half will leave.

Yes, Riga has shown that given a few weeks he can build a decent team. Sadly he had to do his building during the season, hence some poor results while the new players were getting fit, but given a summer I have a lot more confidence that he can build a solid base for L1
    I admire your optimism and I used to be a glass half full person myself but we are talking about a coach who wasn't considered good enough 18 months ago to be retained, who was roundly criticised by the vast majority on here in a recent home game against MK Dons and who we know is just another puppet of this god forsaken regime.

'His' signinings in January are the best you can ever expect, Texeira apart, injury prone or not up to speed players all too little too late half way through the season at the end of the January transfer window. RD is going to get his come uppance in L1 so I'm sorry but I reckon it's going to be a big clear out sub standard recruits and more pain before the gain until the circus eventually leaves town. I'll give the rose tinted glasses a miss for a while longer :wink: .
  • Thoroughly depressing times. We won't be returning to this level while Roland & co are still around.

Please cut your losses and f#*k off.
  • RedChaser said:

The annoying thing is if we keep this squad together next season I think we would go up , but you know half will leave.

Yes, Riga has shown that given a few weeks he can build a decent team. Sadly he had to do his building during the season, hence some poor results while the new players were getting fit, but given a summer I have a lot more confidence that he can build a solid base for L1
    I admire your optimism and I used to be a glass half full person myself but we are talking about a coach who wasn't considered good enough 18 months ago to be retained, who was roundly criticised by the vast majority on here in a recent home game against MK Dons and who we know is just another puppet of this god forsaken regime.

'His' signinings in January are the best you can ever expect, Texeira apart, injury prone or not up to speed players all too little too late half way through the season at the end of the January transfer window. RD is going to get his come uppance in L1 so I'm sorry but I reckon it's going to be a big clear out sub standard recruits and more pain before the gain until the circus eventually leaves town. I'll give the rose tinted glasses a miss for a while longer :wink: .
    It's not a case of rose tinted glasses, I'm looking at what I see on the pitch. My point is that ALL the signings since Riga came in have been decent or at least reasonable, even if at the time people weren't impressed. Tex, Fanni, Motta, Yun, Sanago. Contrast with Williams, Johnson and Poyet. Or the likes of Ceballos, Sarr and Bar last summer

Since Reading (the last game Johnson played) we've let in 5 goals in 6 matches. That shows that Riga can build a solid defence, the problem with his signings being that it took them a month for many to get up to speed, if we'd brought Riga in earlier and he made some of these signings on the 1st January instead of mid February, we'd be several points better off.
  • _nam11 said:

If KF went two/three weeks earlier, we may be in a better position. But it's all in hindsight.

Hindsight? No way. A lot of people knew the moment he was appointed what was coming, and his CV told the rest of us how qualified he was. As someone rightly said on NOT 606 the other day, 'buy cheap, buy twice' , but in this case, most of the fan base knew how bad this would be, and when we lost to Wolves, the question was only how long it would take the morons running the club to wake up and smell the nettles.
  • _nam11 said:

If KF went two/three weeks earlier, we may be in a better position. But it's all in hindsight.

Hindsight? No way. A lot of people knew the moment he was appointed what was coming, and his CV told the rest of us how qualified he was. As someone rightly said on NOT 606 the other day, 'buy cheap, buy twice' , but in this case, most of the fan base knew how bad this would be, and when we lost to Wolves, the question was only how long it would take the morons running the club to wake up and smell the nettles.
    This is a major reason why so many of us are angry - he was clearly the wrong choice from the beginning - this was proven beyond doubt quite early in his 'temporary' rein but not acted on. There were some weird footballing decisions, like extending JJ’s contract, when there was no prospect of losing him, bringing in an out of form Poyet and Johnson, who we were glad to see the back of. It wasn’t as if the team’s deficiencies weren’t clear, and the games where we have played such a weak side that we were beaten before the game kicked off have cost us. There have been far too many of these this season, and there were a few last season, so clearly somebody isn’t learning. If these decisions were primarily financial, they were poor ones, because this has the potential to cost the owner far more than any savings.
  • Stig said:

Oakster said:

If we somehow duplicate our unusual form from the last 6 games into the next 6 games we would end on 47 points.

If every team carried their last 6 games form into the next 6 games the table would end up:

Rotherham 57
    Blackburn 52
    Fulham 52
    Bristol City 51
    Huddersfield 51
    Forest 50
    ————————
    Charlton 47
    MK Dons 42
    Bolton 27

You would think that both Huddersfield & Forest who are on very poor runs - will snap out of it as they get dragged further down.

Rotherham are the form team at the moment.

One problem we have is we don't have any "six pointer" games left against relegation rivals.

Thanks Oakster. This shows the sheer folly of not getting a proper manager with Championship-experience when they sacked Luzon. At the time they appointed Fraeye, it was a move so ridiculous that it felt at the time like the vindictive regime was doing it just to punish the fans for having the temerity to be unhappy. Now it' backfired on them, and will cost them badly. Whoever it was who appointed Fraeye should be sacked for their incompetence.
    Roland can't sack himself.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2016

RedChaser said:

It's not a case of rose tinted glasses, I'm looking at what I see on the pitch. My point is that ALL the signings since Riga came in have been decent or at least reasonable, even if at the time people weren't impressed. Tex, Fanni, Motta, Yun, Sanago. Contrast with Williams, Johnson and Poyet. Or the likes of Ceballos, Sarr and Bar last summer

Since Reading (the last game Johnson played) we've let in 5 goals in 6 matches. That shows that Riga can build a solid defence, the problem with his signings being that it took them a month for many to get up to speed, if we'd brought Riga in earlier and he made some of these signings on the 1st January instead of mid February, we'd be several points better off.
    Didn't you say;

'given a summer I have a lot more confidence that he (Riga) can build a solid base for L1'?

With everything that has gone before and the fact that we have no idea that he had a say with the late January signings apart from Tex (hence my inverted commas around His), I regard that as rose tinted glasses.
  • RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Didn't you say;

'given a summer I have a lot more confidence that he (Riga) can build a solid base for L1'?

With everything that has gone before and the fact that we have no idea that he had a say with the late January signings apart from Tex (hence my inverted commas around His), I regard that as rose tinted glasses.
    Given support from the owner - that is the thing we can't be sure of.
  • RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Didn't you say;

Given support from the owner - that is the thing we can't be sure of.
    Exactly.
  • jams said:

also big mick's comments are telling...

"It was a difficult game with neither side doing enough to win it. Both had chances and why they are in the bottom three, heaven only knows.

"They are a pretty tight unit and we weren't good enough to break that down.

"It did neither of us any favours - us trying to get into the play-offs and them out of the bottom three.

"We will try and win our next game and win as many as we can and see where that takes us.

But we are now in a must-win situation - there is no getting away from that."

Heaven may not know, but for us it's very obvious.
  • Oakster said:

Fraeye did have a significantlyinferior squad available to him to be fair - even though I 100% agree he was an absolute waste of space.

Riga has the likes of Texeira, Fanni, Motta, Suk-Young, Sanogo & fit again Diarra & Vetokele.

Fraeye was bumbling along with Sarr, Lennon, Holmes-Dennis, Vaz Te, Charles-Cook & Reza.

Other than Teixeira they're all loans that have come in... Fraeye could have used the loan market
    Too scared to ask Roly whereas Riga doesnt give a shit.

Yes, Riga has shown that given a few weeks he can build a decent team.
    Not really for the Post Match Thread, but think there is a bit of unfairness in this.

Yes, Fraeye was a dire decision, and yes, Riga is a proper manager, but the main difference in football will always be the squad at your disposal.

It will come out in the summer what happened during the Fraeye period, but had he been afforded the influx of new talented players that Riga has had (or allowed to sign the ones he had lined up), things may well have been different. We'll never know.

I also think Riga new nothing of Fanni, Tex, Motta, Suk Young etc so don't hail him as being a scouting genius. He gets what he is given.

As always with Roland, its do as little as you can to get by then try and do damage limitation. This time he has called it wrong, and far too late.

I also think Riga new nothing of Fanni, Tex, Motta, Suk Young etc On what do you base this statement? Do you have any evidence or is it purely supposition?

He gets what he is given. Can't remember the name, but he turned down some young lad from West Ham that the régime had lined up for him.

That doesn't mean Riga is or isn't the answer but let's not damn him unnecessarily.
  • _nam11 said:

There were some weird footballing decisions, like extending JJ’s contract, when there was no prospect of losing him, bringing in an out of form Poyet and Johnson, who we were glad to see the back of.
    Didn't these unique footballing decisions come just after Richard Murray spoke about bringing in more British players? The other was Williams!

• ChiAddick said:

Oakster said:

If we somehow duplicate our unusual form from the last 6 games into the next 6 games we would end on 47 points.

If every team carried their last 6 games form into the next 6 games the table would end up:

Rotherham 57
    Blackburn 52
    Fulham 52
    Bristol City 51
    Huddersfield 51
    Forest 50
    ————————
    Charlton 47
    MK Dons 42
    Bolton 27

You would think that both Huddersfield & Forest who are on very poor runs - will snap out of it as they get dragged further down.

One problem we have is we don't have any "six pointer" games left against relegation rivals.

In a way that's a good thing if you look at our results against the teams around us.

Bolton at home - draw
    Mk dons at home - draw
    Rotherham at home - draw
    Bristol city at home - lost
    Hudders at home - lost
    Forest at home - draw

Its poor home form against those kind of sides that's cost us dear.
    Why are you calling him dear?
  • Couldn't get to the game, even though on my doorstep - wife admitted to hospital on Sunday night so otherwise committed - could see the floodlights from the hospital!

Spoke to a colleague of mine who's a Town fan and was at the game and he said it was a shocking first half from both sides and Charlton edged it second half with our front men dangerous on the break and in the end, Charlton probably deserved to win it, special mention for our little fella up front who was a real handful (Lookman?).

Here is Mick McCarthy's view on the ITFC website - rather cheered me up!:

Boss concedes Town need fantastic run-in to stay in Play-Off hunt after stalemate against Addicks

Mick McCarthy conceded Town are in must-win territory now with six games left to play and seven points adrift of the Play-Offs.

Ben Pringle and Jonathan Douglas both went close to breaking the deadlock against Charlton but the visitors had chances as well and Bart Bialkowski denied Igor Vetokele late on.

“It’s a result that hasn’t done any favours to either of us,” the Town boss told Ipswich Player HD, with Charlton remaining in the relegation zone.

“We threw everything at it and it wasn’t for the lack of trying - it never is - but we weren’t good enough on the ball to win the game.

“They played with a freedom and I haven’t a clue why they are down at the bottom. They’ve got some good players and they deserved the draw, they could have won it at the end.

“I felt before the game that we are at the must win stage with games running out and we are certainly in that now with a gap of seven points.

“I’ve told the players though that we have to stick together and we will. There are no bad eggs in the squad. We will go out and get as many points as we can over the rest of the season and see where it takes us. Hopefully that will be in the Play-Offs but that is looking increasingly unlikely.”

Read more at http://www.itfc.co.uk/news/article/mick-mccarthy-and-charlton-3044813.aspx#J2mSXxOHYEHDRoJV.99
  • edited April 2016
    I think Riga is being kicked in the nuts by some fans here while Roland and Katrien hold his legs open...

Once again he has come in and slowed the rot, we will not know if he has repeated the miracle of his last time here until we get either a big fat R next to our name or until the last day of the season when we're confirmed safe despite losing 12-0 to Burnley.
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:

I hate to sound like an absolute miserable bastard but I have accepted relegation as the sum total of our efforts under this regime for a long time now. 2 years of incompetence, lies, mismanagement and arrogance catches up with you. Roland you are now staring the fruits of your work in the face. It's what you deserve.

It's not what we deserve and some of you who I respect greatly still had hope. I haven't been celebrating goals or wins for a long time now. The wins against Boro and Brum were token gestures for me. Why should I accept that we cobble together a few results in the last 10 games to put up with having my love and faith for this club crushed and stamped on by the mismanagement and incomptence of our fool of a leader and his toy box of fools doing his day to day bidding.

And now we will see Roland's clueless backlash - there has been and there will be no planning for League One. We will not do a Wigan. They like us, went down last year in a mess. They've gone back to basics and should go back up. Roland will leave the league one burden on yet more youth players. Riga will have less to work with. More support staff will probably get axed as Roland looks to cut his spending even more, yet we will have to put up with paying wages to Nabby Sarr for another 4 years.

So many mistakes, absolutely no accountability and they won't be held to justice. They've just set this club back years. Another club Roland has infected, his cancer destroying years of hard work.

I got annoyed on Saturday because at the end of the game the chap who sits in front of me pointed to my Roland out badge as if to say 'why are you wearing it'. I respect him, he's a nice guy, but you cannot hide from the facts. Roland has done FAILURE. There are no excuses. Time to go

Jeez @cabbles...where's the freakin' "Spoiler Alert"????

I take it this film you're making with Michael Douglas DOESN'T have a happy ending now!!! :neutral:
  • Dazzler21 said:

ChiAddick said:

Oakster said:

Rotherham 57
    Blackburn 52
    Fulham 52
    Bristol City 51
    Huddersfield 51
    Forest 50
    ————————
    Charlton 47
    MK Dons 42
    Bolton 27

In a way that's a good thing if you look at our results against the teams around us.

Bolton at home - draw
    Mk dons at home - draw
    Rotherham at home - draw
    Bristol city at home - lost
    Hudders at home - lost
    Forest at home - draw

Its poor home form against those kind of sides that's cost us dear.
    Why are you calling him dear?
    Had we had this current team and bench during the period of those games, we would be mid table - this is a much better squad than that during our slide from game 7 onwards, a much better squad.
  • TelMc32 said:

cabbles said:

I hate to sound like an absolute miserable bastard but I have accepted relegation as the sum total of our efforts under this regime for a long time now. 2 years of incompetence, lies, mismanagement and arrogance catches up with you. Roland you are now staring the fruits of your work in the face. It's what you deserve.

It's not what we deserve and some of you who I respect greatly still had hope. I haven't been celebrating goals or wins for a long time now. The wins against Boro and Brum were token gestures for me. Why should I accept that we cobble together a few results in the last 10 games to put up with having my love and faith for this club crushed and stamped on by the mismanagement and incomptence of our fool of a leader and his toy box of fools doing his day to day bidding.

And now we will see Roland's clueless backlash - there has been and there will be no planning for League One. We will not do a Wigan. They like us, went down last year in a mess. They've gone back to basics and should go back up. Roland will leave the league one burden on yet more youth players. Riga will have less to work with. More support staff will probably get axed as Roland looks to cut his spending even more, yet we will have to put up with paying wages to Nabby Sarr for another 4 years.

So many mistakes, absolutely no accountability and they won't be held to justice. They've just set this club back years. Another club Roland has infected, his cancer destroying years of hard work.

I got annoyed on Saturday because at the end of the game the chap who sits in front of me pointed to my Roland out badge as if to say 'why are you wearing it'. I respect him, he's a nice guy, but you cannot hide from the facts. Roland has done FAILURE. There are no excuses. Time to go

Jeez @cabbles...where's the freakin' "Spoiler Alert"????

I take it this film you're making with Michael Douglas DOESN'T have a happy ending now!!! :neutral:
    Define "happy".

I can imagine several that would cheer me up no end.
  • The worst bit for me is that you can see most of last night's team disappearing and another panic at the end of next season as a few loanees try to rescue a season. Maybe, I'm wrong.
  • _nam11 said:

There were some weird footballing decisions, like extending JJ’s contract, when there was no prospect of losing him, bringing in an out of form Poyet and Johnson, who we were glad to see the back of.
    Didn't these unique footballing decisions come just after Richard Murray spoke about bringing in more British players? The other was Williams!

yes, I had tried to wipe him from my memory!!!!
  • masicat said:

Went tonight, shame this excellent result isn't good enough. Anyone who thought Fox had a bad game doesn't understand football. Time to leave this boy alone.

Absolutely on the money mate. Unlike many, I got told to remove my blinkers when I went through the turnstile!!
  • RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Didn't you say;

The recent signings with short term contracts and loanees have clearly been more successful than the likes of Ba, Sarr etc with long term contracts, and Johnson who'd still got another year left.

Maybe the network suddenly starting signing better and more suitable players, the likes of Fanni instead of Sarr and Johnson, but as the only variable that has changed is Riga, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

That defence was clearly created by someone, indeed the decision to sign experienced defenders (Motta, Fanni, Yun) rather than talented youngsters like Oxford was clearly a specific plan of action.
  • edited April 2016
    Dazzler21 said:

I think Riga is being kicked in the nuts by some fans here while Roland and Katrien hold his legs open...

Once again he has come in and slowed the rot, we will not know if he has repeated the miracle of his last time here until we get either a big fat R next to our name or until the last day of the season when we're confirmed safe despite losing 12-0 to Burnley.

Slowed the rot, yet we are 4 points further from safety than when Fraeye left...a couple of good results recently, woeful before that despite being provided with a much better squad than his network mate Fraeye.
  • Johnson will probably be ok in League One!
  • Fraeye was a woeful appointment.... But, personally I think Luzon is the worse of the two of them. Utterly inept managers to start the season. Riga is average and so has had better results but compare him to Warnock...

We bought in good players on loan/short term contracts, but, as I said at the time, they were not match fit and by the time they were it was too late.

A 0-0 draw away at Ipswich has not sent us down, it was the total incompetence that came beforehand. What a shame, a totally needless relegation.

*uck the regime. Sell up and get lost.

Admittedly it is all relative but I wouldn't want to see a manager like Warnock for whom results are everything and the style of football played counts for very little.