Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is Card dealing from the right deck?

Comments

• Is this Colin with a new username?
  • Uboat said:

It's Belgianbun, not Belgiumbun FFS

Think you mean 'Belgian Bum'

No disrespect from any Belgian's intended but to all those connected with our club (in senior authority / management/ ownership), can you please leave. Not saying a new owner needs to be English or even European, but i'd really like someone that can buy-in to our club financially, but also emotionally, not in a fake non-interested way. Passion is more important than money as Roland is finding out and will continue to endure until the day he sells. The battle lines have been drawn. The Fanatics will win. Oh yes we will win.
  • Owner is destroying the club through a series of inept decisions - why on earth appoint a CEO like KM or a series of 'joke' managers? Our player recruitment has been farcical and initiatives like the fan sofa make us a laughing stock.
    RD has no interest in football and he's made that clear. His attitude to the fans stinks and he doesn't appear to have a clear strategy.
    I'm unclear how anyone who claims to care about the club can support him?
  • Is this Colin with a new username?

Belgiumbun - what are your thoughts on Chris Powell ?
  • Mrkinski said:

Maybe I'm a little cynical, but there is a rash of anti-Card posts at the moment. I suppose club employees don't have much to do at the moment.

That's my gut reaction too.

All of a sudden the club open up a fans email address and talk about opening dialog.. and there's a few weird (as in, fucking bonkers) posters arising on here.

• There seem to be quite a few villages in Belgium missing their idiots.
  • seth plum said:

Belgiumbun. You have repeated what is largely a myth regarding Curbishley. There are other inaccuracies in your post which you may want to consider tightening up.

I welcome what is largely an opinion piece, what you say will sharpen the thinking of those who disagree with you, and I count myself as one of them.

A couple of pieces of regime perception you neglect to mention is that it is simply a message board thing, and if results pick up it will all go away.

You have mentioned Roland's problem about engaging with fans, so maybe on that basis alone we have the protests because Roland won't engage.

In addition we have what fans can see with their own eyes, failure in all quarters.

What makes the fans incredulous is that in true Orwellian double-speak style we are basically told failure is success, like we were told how successful the wondrous parade of managers we have had has been.

If the regime thinks their work is so good in the face of demonstrable failure, then they will also think the efforts of CARD are failures and not what they demonstrably are, successes.

Your post indicates a line of reasoning that says nothing can be done to make things any better, and you indicate the present reality as evidence. The efforts by CARD and others is to alter and shift the present reality, that may lead to Roland reviewing his position.

In this regard you refer to the unlikeliness of change and one reason you give is that 'Katrien has bigger balls than the fans'.

Katrien may well be doing a 'badge of honour/tough it out' marathon, but whilst nurturing those big cojones (see what I did there?), her straightforward incompetence is degrading the club far more than any fan action.

Katrien may be charming, may be gutsy, may be educated to a pretty high level, may have balls bigger than a whale's, but she is no good at running a football club for all of those attributes.

It could be that another reason CARD is happening is because the club is simply run so badly, and there are extra delicacies added where are fans are actively alienated which is nothing to do with CARD at all.
    This active alienation runs from the micro, like hindering the access to the some of the less mobile supporters; to the macro like irritating 98% of supporters regarding the big screen this season.

When the club is so badly run it is not a suprise there is a reaction, and when the club has no footballing ambition there is also no suprise there is a reaction.

Spot on.
    Belgiumbun, your post sounds rather like an attempt at club PR to me. Do you work for CAFC in any capacity?
  • Sponsored links:

• sammy391 said:

Ok here we go.

Card's mandate was to ensure a 'swift resolution' to the problems with the board and fans. Or at least that what was on the bumf I read. So card got it wrong.
    Problems with fans? So giving the majority a entity to adopt to show their anger etc is failure then? giving who an opportunity? When you say majority you mean CARD supporters. The majority did not walk out as planned the other week did they? In fact quite a lot stayed wearing black and white scarves. Card made a massive gamble and it failed. There is nothing wrong in failure just don't try and tell me that the protest is the majority.

Replace Roland with who?
    Any businessman/group of people who can further us as a club - but most importantly admire and at least consider the history of Charlton Athletic FC and its fans (not customers!). Someone who is willing to listen to fans, and ask what THEY want and what THEY think could and should be done (not necessarily acting upon it but at the minimum considering the fans when deciding! come on be real! how many CAFC fans have the dough to buy Charlton? We tried that once and nearly killed the club - see Mark Hulyer. Don't get all romantic - someone that loves the club will never buy it. Too much baggage and too many issues. Why would anyone listen to the fans? This is not a charity. If you have billions of pounds your hardy likely take any advice from anyone.

Replace Katrien with who.
    An experienced CEO in ANY business would be a start , let alone one who knows The business of football , or even someone who understands Charlton ands its fans!
    Someone who is willing to listen to EVERY party involved in Charlton and not just the person who pays him/her! Someone who is willing to learn from mistakes others have made but also mistakes he/she has made!
    very few ceo have a football background. She is hopeless I accept that but she is a puppet and I think on this board a few fans deserve her. See the would ya thread.

There are other fans at this club as well. There are fans that care just as much about CAFC than those that throw plastic balls about. They need convincing that an action group is not a wrecking crew.
    Of course there are , but when and where has CARD and its folk tried to wreck? It's about giving Charlton fans a voice AT CHARLTON! Of course there are fans out there who question CARD et all but surely those of them who go to home games have to question why at least 80% of fans are chanting "we want Roland out" and throwing stuff - so why aren't they?!. Most people agree Roland is awful but I rather him than John the binman. Remember we were told slater and Jiminez were awful for the club perhaps because they put a few noses out of joint. They also refused to engage with fans? I don't blame them.

There are alternatives to fighting
    Agreed , but both CAST & CARD have both tried to have amenable and constructive communication with the club but that has not been successful- so fighting it/them is the last option and the one we have been forced to chooseSo anyone who disagrees with you has an ego? Maybe it's because the vocal posters in this forum/board have had enough of being walked over by an owner who is adamant the hard work put in by the fans and previous owners is nothing but rubbish and not going to effect him... Why is he so quick to rubbish the history of the club when the fans are what make up a bloody large proportion of it? Should relegation occur this season , and let's not ignore the fact that it's still inevitable at the moment , it has been the most avoidable relegation in this clubs (and potentially in the English football league) history! Of course relegation to league one has occurred many times but that's been through mismanaging the finances or lack of said finances and just crap football! Today we are owned by a man who's wealth totals almost half a billion pounds- so does spending little or no money on experienced and talented footballers who have been properly scouted sound fair? Compare that to spending a few million of players like Naby Sarr who hasn't had a look in for a good few months , as well as spending £12 million to gain a premier league standard training ground/academy yet neglecting the first team! Maybe fans do like being 'mates' with board members but that's probably because they were listened to and appreciated (the fans that is). There was no animosity because directors and board members didn't brand its patrons as customers nor did they anger and upset them and even call their love for a club "weird" {...} the same fans told us that slater and Jiminez were spivs. But forget to mention Murray. Why?

Card does not go on other forums and promote themselves - why?
    No idea why , you'll have to ask who ever posts as CARD on here , however I agree that they should promote themselves on ALL cafc forums! Or the other boards think they are a waste of time and self serving. People Support the club how they wish .

You can't tell anyone how to spend their money. If you have 40m please buy us out.
    True, but you CAN ask! After all why should they buy a season ticket? Fans are not obliged to just be aside they are supporters nobody has tried to buy us. Roland would take any reasonable offer imo.

If your want to support the club you have to be in Card - how so? Illogical and irrational.
    That's never once been said! But again , surely those who don't support any protests whether from CARD or not , have to ask why a considerably amount of people are subscribing to CARDs ideas but they're not...! not enough to be a success tho.

How was Card formed? Is Card actually Cast!
    Why does it matter how it was formed? From information I've seen, it was Charlton fans saw many other Charlton fans disgusted with how the club is and was being run and decided to do something about it. Why is that a negative? if a organisation was formed in the name of CAFC supporters surely then it is not a problem explaining how and and by whom.

You take the club as you find it. If you don't like it don't go. Season ticket boycotts (really) the club know they same faces will go.

We have been in worse positions.

We 'find' ourself second from bottom of a league we worked hard to get back into , as well as having mass anger and upset at a ownership that doesn't even visit the valley and their 'customers' in person for a match!
    By saying "if you don't like it , don't go" - isn't that you telling people how to spend their money? Something you have painted as negative if CARD do it! If the club think they're going to get similar season ticket numbers to those when we were last in league one then they're seriously misguided! Says a lot that under 1,000 season tickets new and renewing have been soldso far!

I am not telling anyone how to spend their money - the opposite actually don't spend their money!!! If you don't like it don't go.
  • I am not telling anyone how to spend their money - the opposite actually don't spend their money!!! If you don't like it don't go.

That is by definition telling them how they should or shouldn't spend their money. Are you really so myopic that you can't see that?
  • I guess the original post is from the club.
    CARD are not perfect but are doing well. The protests are effective, that is to say good publicity. We must continue.
  • Ok here we go.

Card's mandate was to ensure a 'swift resolution' to the problems with the board and fans. Or at least that what was on the bumf I read. So card got it wrong.

Replace Roland with who?

Replace Katrien with who.

There are other fans at this club as well. There are fans that care just as much about CAFC than those that throw plastic balls about. They need convincing that an action group is not a wrecking crew.

There are alternatives to fighting

The egos on this board demonstrate that reasoned debate is difficult

The club was relegated to the old third division before and none of this abuse was experienced against the board - why? Maybe some of the fans liked being mates with the board at that time.

Card does not go on other forums and promote themselves - why?

You can't tell anyone how to spend their money. If you have 40m please buy us out.

If your want to support the club you have to be in Card - how so? Illogical and irrational.

How was Card formed? Is Card actually Cast!

You take the club as you find it. If you don't like it don't go. Season ticket boycotts (really) the club know they same faces will go.

We have been in worse positions.

This is more obvious fishing for lols than Colin..
  • "What we should be doing is supporting the team"

WE DO support the team, not the regime !
  • It's defend the indefensible time!

As WUM's go, you're second rate tbh. No-one can really be that thick IRL.
  • Sponsored links:

• Belgian bun - are you Sue Parkes by any chance ?
  • Nice bit of debate going on.....

• Dave2! That's my view. There are dissenters. Someone pointed out ITTV yesterday, but they are'nt some sort of pro Belgian campaigning forum, just another place where Addicks go to chat. And some don't like the protests. No, CARD aren't perfect- no one is. But they offer resistance to a well documented virus killing our club. And lets be honest, you can't please all the people all the time. CARD are organising protests, and trying to keep it fresh and try new initiatives. Sounds good to me. Shame RD can't try a change of direction.
    Finally, ousting a millionaire was never going to be easy, or quick. But the alternative is much worse.

PS I'm sure Sue Parkes would have been less open minded. This smells of KM.
  • "If you have 40M please buy us out". Dear God, that's a pretty stupid mistake Belgiumbun". Must do better, including your username.
  • What a plonker
  • "Who are ya, who are ya"