Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Valley Gold - How do I leave it?

Comments

• Options
    Short answer is not really. The scheme can't go on hiatus. It will either continue or collapse, and if it collapses its two employees lose their jobs. You've then got the headache and huge costs of trying to relaunch it at an unspecified time in the future, attracting sufficient members to make it viable, recruitment, printing, promotion...

Look, if people don't want to be in the scheme there's nothing to stop them putting their own money away and donating it again in the future.

I'd also suggest the numbers of people so concerned as to cancel their membership are smaller than it often appears on social media threads.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I've made the decision to cancel my VG subscription and have emailed Sharon, stating the reason why (current owners) also saying that I'm willing to rejoin the scheme once the football club has been sold.
  • Options

I've made the decision to cancel my VG subscription and have emailed Sharon, stating the reason why (current owners) also saying that I'm willing to rejoin the club has been sold.

Well done mate, these continual sales of the academy players to help the regime reach their bottom line targets and whose development you have funded must be quite galling.
  • Options
    You are not alone. I quit during the close season. The club no longer deserve our support. I had been a member from the start.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

I've made the decision to cancel my VG subscription and have emailed Sharon, stating the reason why (current owners) also saying that I'm willing to rejoin the club has been sold.

Well done mate, these continual sales of the academy players to help the regime reach their bottom line targets and whose development you have funded must be quite galling.
    I don't expect young players to stay at the club for ever and would think a couple of seasons in the first team before moving on would be acceptable. Under this mob, we're lucky to see a young player make 20 appearances before the for sale board goes up.
  • Options
    Mr W is quitting tomorrow and I may not be far behind at this rate.
  • Options
    Is there a way for Valley Gold or any organisers out there to collect the money monies being paid , and not pay it whilst Duchatelet is here - saving it for the academy when he does leave?

Could save the academy from the brown stuff should the new owner be more like MS+TJ
  • Options

RedChaser said:

I don't expect young players to stay at the club for ever and would think a couple of seasons in the first team before moving on would be acceptable. Under this mob, we're lucky to see a young player make 20 appearances before the for sale board goes up.
    It's knowing that he won't be replaced that hurts as well. It's all about the bottom line as Meire said, and the thrill of being able to squeal with delight when he appears in the Premier League and tell everyone that once, a long time ago, when we were still in the EFL, he played for us.
  • Options

Can't believe anyone is still a member.

I am won £50 few months ago
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Unfortunately it would be the 8-14 year olds in the academy that would suffer, not those that KM / RD can make money on. If valley hold were to close we would probably scrap anything under 14 or maybe 16 and keep going from 15 / 17 plus. As we have seen with some younger players moving before, we get no money for them at a much younger age. Pulling out of valley gold will therefore not particularly damage RD if we don't expect him round beyond 5 more years
  • Options
    Chrispy51 said:

Unfortunately it would be the 8-14 year olds in the academy that would suffer, not those that KM / RD can make money on. If valley hold were to close we would probably scrap anything under 14 or maybe 16 and keep going from 15 / 17 plus. As we have seen with some younger players moving before, we get no money for them at a much younger age. Pulling out of valley gold will therefore not particularly damage RD if we don't expect him round beyond 5 more years

Would doubt that very much. The Academy is too important to Charlton. Bear in mind also that any boys bought at a younger age would fall under a compensation scheme which increases on a yearly basis as they get older. I think from age 12 to 16 that amount increases by about 12.5k a year.

A few years ago prior to Palace getting back in to the premiership, they had a fire sale and invited offers from Chelsea for their younger players. A number of boys (aged 9 and up) moved from Palace to Chelsea at that time for payment. That was as a last resort and I can't see any way that Roland would want that to happen.

The main problem for Charlton at the moment will be attracting boys of the right calibre whilst in League one. Not many young boys are necessarily Charlton supporters, which would also partly explain why there was a lack of ball boys against Shrewsbury. The ball boys are volunteers from the Academy.
  • Options

So £53,365 paid by Valley Gold to the club.

So the payment in July was delayed until September.

All the academy causes listed in the letter from VG are worthy but the letter says "the academy" requested the money but there is no academy rep on on the VG committee so in fact that mean Meire and/or Joyes requested the money and were given it.

So much for holding back the money.

Just got the letter - this is very disappointing, I would have hoped that we would have been informed at the time.

So much for transparency - we only get to hear after the event.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    So were the supporters' reps consulted or sidelined?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

If it came to a vote, it would have been 3-2 to the club.
  • Options
    Valley Gold ... now supporting the SMT aspiration to develop players to sell to other clubs. We pay, other clubs benefit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

LenGlover said:

If it came to a vote, it would have been 3-2 to the club.
    I thought this Matt Baker geezer was meant to be independent or is he a Club lackey in reality?
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

The longer that woman Meire is on the Valley Gold Committee, then it will continue to lose members.

I take it then, she is still on the committee?

Nothing will change whilst she is on it.
  • Options
    This is a precis of the pertinent bit from the letter in question:

At the committee meeting in September the Academy requested funding to cover the following items

U21s pre-season camp......... £9,717
    Advanced centre costs......... £17,200
    Training equipment..............£9,123
    Contribution towards hotel costs for long distance U18/U21 away games...........£17,325

The committee therefore agreed to make a donation of £53,365 towards this.

As I've said on the Valley Gold thread - 27 years is a long time to be committed to anything, especially when one realises that those players who do make the first team aren't going to be here possibly in 27 weeks let alone 27 months time.

• Options
    This ought to be the end of Valley Gold. Sad, but we can buildit again when this owner leaves!
  • Options
    What does "advanced centre costs" refer to?
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Presumably the costs associated with the Sparrows upgrades
  • Options
    that's enough, I'm leaving
  • Options
    Missed It said:

All it says is "to identify young talent". Is that to subsidise school holiday courses or to fund others or to pay for scouts?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Missed It said:

That should be paid for by the club as part of the redevelopment. This needs to be clarified. I pay my cash to Valley Gold to develop young players for Charlton, not so Duchatalet can save a bit of money on his training ground 'investment'.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

se9addick said:

Missed It said:

That should be paid for by the club as part of the redevelopment. This needs to be clarified. I pay my cash to Valley Gold to develop young players for Charlton, not so Duchatalet can save a bit of money on his training ground 'investment'.
    Where do you think the young players are developed ?

I know the trend is to slag absolutely anything to do with the club off and I'm very sympathetic to all those who have stopped contributing to Valley Gold, but if you're still in then surely using the money that you want to see go towards developing young players being spent on the facilities that develop those young players is reasonable ?