Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Valley Gold - How do I leave it?

Comments

• Options

In my humble opinion anybody still putting money into valley gold who is anti the current regime is mad.

Possibly (!) - which is why I asked for advice. Subs paid up front in advance and when I last renewed CARD hadn't been formed and although things were bad, I still felt I wanted to continue with VG. It is only now, with 3 renewals due, that I can add to my 'protest' by not renewing.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Just a recap and maybe some clarification.

The statement said that the fan reps wouldn't consider agreeing a major donation until later in the year. It has since been clarified (for those who wanted to listen :wink:) that this is intended to imply later in 2016 than June.

The primary object of the scheme is the Academy and the lion's share of funds goes to that. It's done on the basis of a request from the club, but as part of the scheme's fiscal planning we review funds raised at the halfway point and at the end of the financial year (December and June respectively) in order to determine what the scheme can sensibly afford to donate. Alongside this is typically much smaller donations to other beneficiaries such as the women's team. However the club can request funds whenever they like, it's then essentially down to the fan reps to agree it or not.

So we're not bound to December and June, it just makes sense to do it then.

We do need to remember that it's not a mutual society like the trust, nor is it a supporters club. It is a lottery established to raise funds for the Academy and subject to the Gambling Act.

I dare say an update will be issued in due course. The next meeting is in a couple of weeks. Until then, I hope this makes things a bit clearer as to what's been said before.
  • Options
    If we had a half decent owner he would fully fund the academy and there would be no need for Valley Gold anymore.
    I cancelled my 2 subscriptions a couple of months ago. Firstly because of the obvious reason of Liar Liar being involved and I want nothing to do with that poisonous witch. Secondly I have been a member since it started and won zilch in all those years and come to the conclusion that my numbers are probably not even in the virtual draw machine every week.
    I got a letter saying that I would not be requested to make back payments as my cancelled direct debit obviously did not coincide with the official cancellation. I have ignored that ridiculous request. I want nothing more to do with this basket case of a football club I have supported for 45 years.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

I'm sure @rikofold will gladly talk you all through it again, but if I was you I'd get him to make you all a PowerPoint - everything's clearer and rosier after one of them innit

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lfft9Jx9gJk
  • Options
    I'm very reluctant to end my membership but I feel the time is drawing close. I'll give it until the end of June, if the club gets paid that will be it for me and if the committee defers a decision on the matter I will also be out.
    Shame, but maybe VG has had its day and the club no longer needs additional funds from the customers.
  • Options
    I fear there are quite a few more like you and this isn't a personal attack on those that administer the scheme, who I know are genuine people and fans, but sadly I think their management of this, admittedly extreme, situation will ultimately have the potential to kill the scheme I was until recently very proud to be part of.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If we had a half decent owner he would fully fund the academy and there would be no need for Valley Gold anymore.
    I cancelled my 2 subscriptions a couple of months ago. Firstly because of the obvious reason of Liar Liar being involved and I want nothing to do with that poisonous witch. Secondly I have been a member since it started and won zilch in all those years and come to the conclusion that my numbers are probably not even in the virtual draw machine every week.
    I got a letter saying that I would not be requested to make back payments as my cancelled direct debit obviously did not coincide with the official cancellation. I have ignored that ridiculous request. I want nothing more to do with this basket case of a football club I have supported for 45 years.

That was a cheeky letter to a member since the scheme started. Hopefully you will get an apology.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    T.C.E said:

As an outsider looking in, may I ask a question?
    VIP membership (I think it was called) was discontinued because, "they no longer needed the money"
    Valley gold continues, why?
    What is the difference between the two, as far as needing the money and not?

Simply put, one is a loan and the other is a donation. It's a bit more complicated, because you are committing to seasons you may have decided subsequently not to buy and at a fixed price on the one hand and may win prizes on the other. But Roland doesn't want or need your loan (he can't earn interest on it, after all). He's happy to take your gift though - and Katrien will be grateful for your support.
  • Options

rikofold said:

The statement said that the fan reps wouldn't consider agreeing a major donation until later in the year. It has since been clarified (for those who wanted to listen :wink:) that this is intended to imply later in 2016 than June.

Well either it has been "clarified" or it is "intended to imply"

Maybe if you'd stop intending and implying and just answered the questions things might have been a lot clearer.

Meanwhile more and more people are dropping out as can be seen on this thread.
    rikofold said:

I dare say an update will be issued in due course. The next meeting is in a couple of weeks. Until then, I hope this makes things a bit clearer as to what's been said before.

Rather than "dare say" and "due course" you could have said "The next meeting is on 8 June. I will update on the decision made within 48 hours of that meeting.

It really is that simple.

I was and have always been doubtful that Paul Nottage, so called fans rep, would act in the best interest of the fans. We'll see if he sticks with voting no payment or whether a few free lounge passes will persuade him to change his mind.

Is the 8 June an actual meeting or just given as an example of what could have been said?

• Options
    Just ignore the emails for 8 years and they forget about you...or die
  • Options
    redman said:

rikofold said:

Maybe if you'd stop intending and implying and just answered the questions things might have been a lot clearer.

rikofold said:

Rather than "dare say" and "due course" you could have said "The next meeting is on 8 June. I will update on the decision made within 48 hours of that meeting.

I was and have always been doubtful that Paul Nottage, so called fans rep, would act in the best interest of the fans. We'll see if he sticks with voting no payment or whether a few free lounge passes will persuade him to change his mind.

Is the 8 June an actual meeting or just given as an example of what could have been said?

@redman Example based on meeting being in a "couple of weeks"
  • Options
    As a non member (to give context to my comments), it does seem as if there could have been a lot more definition on the statements. We appear to still be thinking this over. Logically, those who don't want to be giving money to a club run by Roland and Katrien would want to stop payments, so really, this procrastination is just pushing people into leaving. A definite statement that the valley Gold money will NOT be paid over to the current regime with their preposterous management philosophy, but be built up in the bank to be passed to a future owner with a more sensible approach, would have avoided this whole mess. There seems to have been little attempt to comunícate with members, judging by comments on here. Personally, this close to june and no idea what plans are would cause me to cancel as of now, so I can fully understand others doing so. Just the same 'death by a thousand cuts' routine that runs through the whole club.
  • Options

As a non member (to give context to my comments), it does seem as if there could have been a lot more definition on the statements. We appear to still be thinking this over. Logically, those who don't want to be giving money to a club run by Roland and Katrien would want to stop payments, so really, this procrastination is just pushing people into leaving. A definite statement that the valley Gold money will NOT be paid over to the current regime with their preposterous management philosophy, but be built up in the bank to be passed to a future owner with a more sensible approach, would have avoided this whole mess. There seems to have been little attempt to comunícate with members, judging by comments on here. Personally, this close to june and no idea what plans are would cause me to cancel as of now, so I can fully understand others doing so. Just the same 'death by a thousand cuts' routine that runs through the whole club.

Unfortunately if they did so, KM & co. would not let them do the draw on matchdays, or be involved in anything CAFC while they are under tenure. They did what they had to do so TRY to keep members and to keep KM & co. on side, by threatening and not actually stating what they would do, or better so, do so.

People who don't want to give a penny to RD need to pull out of VG.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cancelled my standing order after the Burnley game. Was a member for 10 years but don't want to give a penny to RD. Had one £50 win in that time and have used the membership for ticket priority and club shop discount. Been boycotting the club shop too for some time now. Tragic really when I think about it. Just can't have a single penny of my money going to this lot atm.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reminder people. Finally got around to doing something I should have done back in January.
  • Options
    I cant understand why people keep bombarding rikofold, the statement he's made it is what it is. No matter how many times that each word is analysed it isn't going to change. He's already said that he can't expand on it anymore. So why bother to continually harangue him? From what I have read he's not a fan of the regime so to me it's futile. Lets surely just wait until after the meeting
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    rikofold said:

rikofold said:

rikofold said:

I'm not going to get drawn in Ben. I don't know why you do this, other than you clearly get off on unnecessary conflict; you know very well where I stand on the matter and as far as I'm aware the second half of 2016 has never included June.

I will say this though before I shut up at least until the next meeting.
    • I repeat, the statement was one agreed by all parties and I'm not going to lay my integrity aside by expanding beyond the boundaries of what it said, beyond clarifying the wording used. I would have liked the wording to be different but it's a committee decision.
    • I fully expect the committee to issue a statement in due course but the content and timing is not up to me and frankly we've already said there will be no donation in June and I doubt the club will request one. The legal implications of withholding funds from the scheme's primary object are under discussion.
    • The idea that we're trying to keep members by staying schtum until after the renewal date is objectionable but the simple fact is that the scheme doesn't work that way. Members generally pay £10 a month and can cancel/start at any time. June is not everyone's renewal month.
    • Valley Gold was never really intended to be something upon which the Academy relied. Fans wanted to continue the scheme because it cemented their contribution to the club, and the Academy was a good place to which funds could be diverted. If fans no longer want to continue, for whatever reason, they can cancel. Relatively few have dropped out to date; there is a critical mass however.
    • I think digs at Paul are unnecessary. Like me, his role focuses on the interests of the scheme. We are representatives of those donating their money, but we are not members ourselves (legally we cannot be). We don't always agree, but he challenges the club when needed as much as I do. We have different emphases but that's healthy, and we usually work differences through ahead of meetings and agree our standpoint.
    I've nothing more to say at least until the meeting has taken place (I think it's 13th June but it's not in my diary for some reason).
    Fair play. I get that and understand the sensitivities - and the fact that certain Big Beast in the Charlton (Life) jungle just like to throw shit and joust in their own interests.

I also think I "get" you rikofold - and that is genuinely not meant t be in the least bit patronising. BUT, given that you are "sceptical" - at best - about the regime, then why are you even involved in this?

I would imagine there are far more important and worthy things to concentrate on - and it sounds like you MAY be getting short changed on you views here - so if that is anywhere near the truth then I , for one - and am sure others would agree - wouldn't blame you for walking away from the VG role.

In my mind it currently serves little other purpose than supporting - and indirectly legitimising - what is currently going on down there.

(Meant with the best of intentions by the way)
  • Options

T.C.E said:

As an outsider looking in, may I ask a question?
    VIP membership (I think it was called) was discontinued because, "they no longer needed the money"
    Valley gold continues, why?
    What is the difference between the two, as far as needing the money and not?

Simply put, one is a loan and the other is a donation. It's a bit more complicated, because you are committing to seasons you may have decided subsequently not to buy and at a fixed price on the one hand and may win prizes on the other. But Roland doesn't want or need your loan (he can't earn interest on it, after all). He's happy to take your gift though - and Katrien will be grateful for your support.
    Thanks Airman.
  • Options
    Well I for one am still in. I only joined as a way to contribute to the academy and, hopefully, see some decent players come through "the ranks". A small contribution IMO. The chance of winning a few quid (won£50 once!) is just a bonus as far as I am concerned. Valley Gold is separate from the club and its not giving money directly to the regime (I don't spend in the ground, programmes or food/drink). I think its fairly clear from what @rikofold has stated that any contribution to the club is on hold until a decision is taken later in the year and then I'll review it.
  • Options
    cafc-west said:

Well I for one am still in. I only joined as a way to contribute to the academy and, hopefully, see some decent players come through "the ranks". A small contribution IMO. The chance of winning a few quid (won£50 once!) is just a bonus as far as I am concerned. Valley Gold is separate from the club and its not giving money directly to the regime (I don't spend in the ground, programmes or food/drink). I think its fairly clear from what @rikofold has stated that any contribution to the club is on hold until a decision is taken later in the year and then I'll review it.

Seriously? Is that post for real?

You think you are contributing to the academy and not putting money into the regime? YOu don't spend on food, programmes, etc, but are happy to give them a tenner cash each month?

Not knocking you mate, but that just doesn't stack up. Its illogical. The academy IS the club and vice versa. They make more money off your tenner than they ever will do from a burger and a programme!
  • Options
    You've got that completely wrong @cafc-west

Of course you are funding the club because the primary focus of the scheme is to provide funding to the club