Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Views Charlton v Middlesbrough

Comments

• whilst inputting the players marks it is obvious that many of us think that Pope has improved and I wonder why, could it be that the new goalkeeping coach Lee Turner might be responsible?
  • edited March 2016
    I wouldnt say we failed against MK Dons...

Would have been great had we won that match and would be huge going up against Little Chef on Saturday

Throwing all caution to the wind against MK Dons and potentially losing the game would have been disastrous so really was just damage limitation... I guess we'll see at the end of the season if Riga has judged these three games correctly.
  • The whistle was a step too far imo. Thought stopping the Boro attack was a bit outrageous.
  • edited March 2016
    Taken from the Player Marks thread

Oh, and Reza's run should have earned a penalty - did the referee play an advantage? - but led to the goal anyway. It was a very good cameo

Reza played like someone who didnt like being left on the bench of late and came out to prove why he should be in starting contention.

Not sure if it should have been a penalty yet could be why the Middlesbrough players all stopped with the one player having a horrible first touch straight to Callum Harriott, which has to have been one of the worst Defensive goals I've ever seen (Despite seeing many from Charlton this season), what the hell the Defender was doing I'll never know.
  • edited March 2016
    If the Palace one was a penalty on Friday Reza being dragged over was definitely a penalty.

It also looked like their players stopped for the penalty to be fair.
  • We are about to see Katrien reveal her true character. When she was amazingly given the job of running our Club, the first thing she should have done was to find somebody with good knowledge of running a football Club and of Charlton Athletic and its history, and been able to lean on them for help and guidance. That person should have been Richard Murray who we have known as a great supporter of our Club, but who has now shown us a weakness which has made him go from hero to someone hated by many.
    Watching Katrien yesterday I saw a young woman who must surely now realise what a mess she has made so far of her job. Beach balls stopping the game, a whole group of people dressed up as Pinocchio, banners everywhere insulting her, Charlton supporters telling her to leave at every game in loud voices. If she is intelligent as I believe, she will now reveal her true character, and I am hoping that she will admit to serious errors and show a more sensible side to her nature. I have not emailed her because we have established that she will ignore it. Come on Katrien we can be friends, but you must change your attitude. If you do that you will be surprised to find how much easier life will be, and how far this Club can go with everybody singing from the same song sheet. Everything that I do right these days came from making a mistake and vowing not to repeat it. It's one of life big lessons Katrien, come and join us.
  • Has someone re-ordered the beach balls?
  • Watched the game on the telly very enjoyable, I thought CARD were brilliant thank you for all the hard work everybody put in, it must be very hard trying to plan new things to do and I thought yesterday was excellent.
    Sky done us proud the media will play a big part in helping to get rid of Roland hopefully and I think they were behind our protest.
    It was very funny when play to the whistle was being sung.
    The team played very well I only see them live on tv now as I refused to go with this owner, Jordan Cousins will make a great captain if they don't sell him in the summer Callum Harrriot worked his socks off and I was pleased to see Nick Pope play so well I think he is a good keeper he just needs more self confidence, and I had the pleasure of watching Fanni its been awhile for me
  • seth plum said:
    They say that Holloway says we only blew our whistles when we went 2-0 up and when Middlesbrough were attacking,

Seems convenient he forgot about the first 5mins of the second half where the whistles were endless whilst it all went quiet when we went 2-0 up because the majority of our fans making that noise had left!!
  • Sponsored links:

• What a day !! And we're STILL watching the match again via Sky Plus and loving every minute. The commentator has just stated that you think you've seen everything in football.....and then you encounter a day like today ! Well said, that man!

Oh what might have been if this was in the first third of the season rather than the final one. And of course, one swallow doesn't make Charlton world beaters....

But I thought the lads were magnificent today...every last one of them.

And for me, it was our Academy boys who stood head & shoulders above the rest. In a season when they might be feeling more concerned about the direction THEIR Club is taking than some of their colleagues, they have soldiered on when called upon & we should be proud of their contributions to today's victory.

But our new Captain Courageous was surely everyone's MOM. If you took your eyes off the pitch for a minute to root in you bag for a lucky humbug, who always seemed to be on the ball when you looked up ? Young Jordan. Only one POTY for Fanny this time round ( BTW Did you know tickets go on sale tomorrow ?) :-)

Today everyone with our Club firmly in their heart got it right from manager, players and especially our brilliant supporters , but also the media ( well done to Sky for their excellent coverage of activities both on & off the pitch ) and the Boro fans for their patience when play was disrupted & their good humour in accepting Roland Out stickers before kick off.

It was a pleasure to be involved off the pitch today , as always thanks to our very special CARD organisers. I don't believe we can begin to imagine how many hours they've invested in today's highly successful attempt to bring our plight to the attention of the masses. OK-one protester's watch was a few minutes fast & invariably led to a very late dinner for him tonight but in such an emotionally charged atmosphere, we can make exceptions and he certainly wasn't following any CARD initiatives for sure. The number of passionate, committed fans involved today was awesome and I believe someone has stated that our protest has been described as the best ever in the UK. Deserved praise indeed.

So, where do we go from here ? I'm confident that the discussions have already begun & no-one will rest comfortably on their laurels and " park the bus". Future cunning plans will be afoot before we can say " Pinocchio " and I look forward to the visit of Birmingham in 3 weeks time when, once again, the faithful will play their part in "persuading" the regime to politely, naff orf.

We could even do the double !

Support the team , NOT the regime !

@Fanny Fanackapan I hope you have a successful PotY evening but I can't in good conscience attend and even if I were minded to, £37 has put it firmly out of my range. Perhaps you could tell the powers-that-be who've come up with the price that it isn't realistic? If they are suffering from the same delusion about value for money next year, what chance would there be of having a ticket for entry without the meal?
  • Essex_Al said:

Boro were absolutely woeful today and our performance has been vastly overrated, I'm not sure whether it has come from the fact it's been so long since we won since the last home win and some fans are so desperate for anything in an alternate reality, or because it was on TV and half the talking heads focusing on us haven't watched much of the rest of our season.

Boro lacked a lot of composure and their deliveries in the final third were far too poor to create serious chances bar the one shortly before the break, there weren't enough bodies attacking the ball in the box and you know you are having a very poor day when at 0-0 against the team second from bottom, you take off a striker who's scored 11 goals in 13 games and put in the kind of journeyman we will probably sign for League One football next season. They were flat and insipid and gave away too much space in the middle, in the first half we did everything we could to avoid creating a chance and in the second we finally took advantage of defenders too slow on the uptake.

A good example of the overrating of ourselves today was Nick Pope's "amazing save", which he knew f*** all about. Our organization was still poor most of the game. Motta kept drifting too far inside and on a different day Friend would punish him there, good interlinking play between Lookman and Harriott but nothing behind them to hold the ball up and Gudmondsson once again playing in his own world.

This has once again caused slightly delirious suggestions of what this could lead too. The vast stretch that our record against teams in the top half gives us cause to be excited for a 'great escape' makes me want to vomit to be honest. Football doesn't work like that and we have some very tough games coming up against teams who have a lot to play for and are well organized and disciplined - Wednesday, Birmingham, Burnley etc. Which is something Boro certainly weren't and with our yo-yo showings and obviously weak football across the course of the year, do you really think Tuesday was the anomaly and not today?

Does make me laugh!

Every time we win, we get people on here saying the opposition were shit!

Boro are top three in the table with games in hand and a team on paper worth 20 times the value of ours, could it just be that we made them look ordinary?

How about giving credit where credit is due!
    Perhaps that's because we've generally been so bad we could only beat shit opposition? To be fair, the wins against Hull and the Wendies were good performances, and we weren't bad yesterday, just not great.
  • Nick Pope and Jorge Teixeira have been named in Team of the Week
  • Surely the team of the week should consist of a load of Man of the Match performers?

It must be a while since we've had a couple in there, no?

both did very well btw, surprised Cousins wasn't in.

It must be a while since we've had a couple in there, no?
    Wasnt it Rotherham with Gudmundsson and Makienok

We had Callum in there against Brentford
  • Two points. We don't as a rule defend set pieces very well but yesterday did a bit better. Still room for improvement though as they won an awful lot of headers in our box.

We don't create too many chances during any match so I think we need to shine a bit more importance on our own set piece plays.
  • Pope - 7 best game for a long time
    Motta - 5 defensively shaky, ropey first touch
    Teixeira - 6 not sure he and RF had much idea what the other was doing but no calamitous blunders
    Fanni - 5 is he a centre half? too much dithering in dangerous areas needs to get his foot thru the ball and get rid
    Fox - 6 best game for a long time especially with no cover first half
    Berg Gudmundsson - 2 shamefully didn't try a leg but for maybe 5 minutes in each half, dramatically more useful on the left, which is no surprise but ignored by him and all his charlton coaches so far - this bone idle p!sstaker can slope off as far and as quickly as he likes, if there's any justice he'll tweak something important at the beginning of June, miss the euros and all his selfish shirking this season will be for nothing
    Diarra - 5 didn't look fit but helped to bung up boro's largely ineffective midfield
    Cousins - 7 tremendous amount of energy expended lead by example
    Suk-Young - 4 awful first half terrifyingly bad on the left unrecognisably competent 2nd half on the right, bizarre
    Harriott - 6 lots of effort and running with one or two less bad decisions made but his effort to output return is still low, improvement seen which is encouraging
    Lookman - 6 no service at all

Reza - n/a, with the time he had he should just have run until he puked bothering boro defenders and disrupting them - no room for prettiness or posing in charlton's remaining games
    Bergdich - n/a no irony here!!
    Lennon - n/a

Boro were pony - much better than MK but still presented no serious threat
    Clayton should have gone for his two footed studs up assault on Fox, who in turn showed good determination to shake it off and carry on, tough triers are always more valuable than feckless shirking fancydan Johans
  • Sponsored links:

• Pope - 7 best game for a long time
    Motta - 5 defensively shaky, ropey first touch
    Teixeira - 6 not sure he and RF had much idea what the other was doing but no calamitous blunders
    Fanni - 5 is he a centre half? too much dithering in dangerous areas needs to get his foot thru the ball and get rid
    Fox - 6 best game for a long time especially with no cover first half
    Berg Gudmundsson - 2 shamefully didn't try a leg but for maybe 5 minutes in each half, dramatically more useful on the left, which is no surprise but ignored by him and all his charlton coaches so far - this bone idle p!sstaker can slope off as far and as quickly as he likes, if there's any justice he'll tweak something important at the beginning of June, miss the euros and all his selfish shirking this season will be for nothing
    Diarra - 5 didn't look fit but helped to bung up boro's largely ineffective midfield
    Cousins - 7 tremendous amount of energy expended lead by example
    Suk-Young - 4 awful first half terrifyingly bad on the left unrecognisably competent 2nd half on the right, bizarre
    Harriott - 6 lots of effort and running with one or two less bad decisions made but his effort to output return is still low, improvement seen which is encouraging
    Lookman - 6 no service at all

Reza - n/a, with the time he had he should just have run until he puked bothering boro defenders and disrupting them - no room for prettiness or posing in charlton's remaining games
    Bergdich - n/a no irony here!!
    Lennon - n/a

Boro were pony - much better than MK but still presented no serious threat
    Clayton should have gone for his two footed studs up assault on Fox, who in turn showed good determination to shake it off and carry on, tough triers are always more valuable than feckless shirking fancydan Johans

1. Wrong thread
    2. We won 2-0 not lost
  • Two points. We don't as a rule defend set pieces very well but yesterday did a bit better. Still room for improvement though as they won an awful lot of headers in our box.

We don't create too many chances during any match so I think we need to shine a bit more importance on our own set piece plays.

It may be a futile exercise but I am looking for signs we can still escape. Your points resonate – defending set pieces still could be better and we need to create more. Why, because if we rely on luck, we will win a few, but we will lose too many. We need to load the dice in our favour. The problem on Tuesday night was that we played an away formation at home against a team that had a primary objective of not getting beat. It was alright to play an away formation on Sunday, as Boro were always going to try to win it which played into our hands. Fortunately, next Saturday is a game where we could get some joy I think for the same reason with a similar set up.

If we have a good weekend, we may be just one result from safety. But I haven’t seen the signs that suggest we have enough about us to go on that run. The defence still can improve, but is much better. But the main thing I want to see is more chances in games. The run has to start here so every next game is going to be an increasingly bigger one, if we can keep this up!
  • @StigThundercock

Johann got assists for both goals?!
  • @StigThundercock

Surely Reza should have got the assist for the second goal...?
  • lol! Getting StigThundercock to praise Johann is like pissing in a storm
  • He's like an Arsenal fan disguised as a Charlton fan
  • @StigThundercock

@StigThundercock

Surely Reza should have got the assist for the second goal...?
    Apologies @CAFCNick1992 just seen the second goal again and your right, it is a pass from JBG to get that assist.
  • What a day !! And we're STILL watching the match again via Sky Plus and loving every minute. The commentator has just stated that you think you've seen everything in football.....and then you encounter a day like today ! Well said, that man!

Oh what might have been if this was in the first third of the season rather than the final one. And of course, one swallow doesn't make Charlton world beaters....

But I thought the lads were magnificent today...every last one of them.

And for me, it was our Academy boys who stood head & shoulders above the rest. In a season when they might be feeling more concerned about the direction THEIR Club is taking than some of their colleagues, they have soldiered on when called upon & we should be proud of their contributions to today's victory.

But our new Captain Courageous was surely everyone's MOM. If you took your eyes off the pitch for a minute to root in you bag for a lucky humbug, who always seemed to be on the ball when you looked up ? Young Jordan. Only one POTY for Fanny this time round ( BTW Did you know tickets go on sale tomorrow ?) :-)

Today everyone with our Club firmly in their heart got it right from manager, players and especially our brilliant supporters , but also the media ( well done to Sky for their excellent coverage of activities both on & off the pitch ) and the Boro fans for their patience when play was disrupted & their good humour in accepting Roland Out stickers before kick off.

It was a pleasure to be involved off the pitch today , as always thanks to our very special CARD organisers. I don't believe we can begin to imagine how many hours they've invested in today's highly successful attempt to bring our plight to the attention of the masses. OK-one protester's watch was a few minutes fast & invariably led to a very late dinner for him tonight but in such an emotionally charged atmosphere, we can make exceptions and he certainly wasn't following any CARD initiatives for sure. The number of passionate, committed fans involved today was awesome and I believe someone has stated that our protest has been described as the best ever in the UK. Deserved praise indeed.

So, where do we go from here ? I'm confident that the discussions have already begun & no-one will rest comfortably on their laurels and " park the bus". Future cunning plans will be afoot before we can say " Pinocchio " and I look forward to the visit of Birmingham in 3 weeks time when, once again, the faithful will play their part in "persuading" the regime to politely, naff orf.

We could even do the double !

Support the team , NOT the regime !

Well said, Fanny.
    Great to see the Academy boys give so much but was really concerned at our potential lack of quality on the bench - guess that's injuries and suspensions for you.

Was also very impressed with Fanni, Diarra, Teixeira and Pope - they definitely made a difference.

Fox's best game for an age and like I said in a recent post, the lad has balls and God loves a trier. Fanni was exceptional.

Didn't see that result coming, delighted I went (my lad also dragged himself along, having had a big night out with his mates on Saturday), proud to have been at such an eventful match in terms of the supporters and the fact it was televised and that I managed to hold my record of not leaving a game early ever - and then I remembered.....February 7th, 1970 when still virtually in nappies, my mate and I left at the beginning of extra time when it was Charlton 1 Huddersfield 1. As we walked up Floyd Road we heard a roar - only to find out when we rushed back in that Frank Worthington had scored the winner for Huddersfield in the 90 something minute. That's why I never left a game early after that (and my Dad died that night, sadly!).
  • CAFCTrev said:

If we bloody won last Tuesday...

MK Dons still want to be concerned... they can only seem to pick up draws which wont be enough come the end... Sadly we need someone else to start struggling too...

If only Derby had held on yesterday
    Someone like Fulham you mean?
    Jesus didnt realise how close they are to being in trouble.
    It would be nice to stay up and send Parker down to finish his career in the third tier.