Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Views Charlton v Middlesbrough

Comments

• cousins had a great game, fox and pope were very solid and confident today. Motta was the only stand out bad performance for me. Everytime he controlled the ball his second touch was always a tackle. Just didn't look up to it in ability or effort.
  • Watched on Sky (first time ever). Seeing it on TV confirmed how hard Cousins works for us. He really is a Trojan. Glad for Harriett with his goal as he ran hard all game but his first touch to feet must improve.

Middlesbrough were pretty tame. Certainly the worst Boro side I have seen in a decade. Even their kit was banal (normally it's better than their home shirts).

The defence all did well and Fox looks a better player on TV.

The Sky commentators were incredulous with the sole pitch invader after the first goal. Never seen an angry supporter giving it to his players for scoring.

• Last game of Belgian Pro League regular season... 10 mins to go; Sint Truiden just conceded and are in bottom 2 - think that means potentially play-off agony. Very close though; Bob Peeters' Westerlo just one point above.
  • edited March 2016

I was surprised at how well we played. Not everything was perfect but every player put a shift in.

Cousins was immense. His value will have gone up several million by that performance.

Harriott with some faith put in him was a real handful.

The defence looked pretty solid.

Well done.

Totally agree. Just got a Sheffield Weds ticket on the back of that and am going to top it off with a night at Owlerton Dogs after!!! Best I find a hotel by the way!
  • That was just as much down to them being awful as any brilliance on our part but how many times this season have awful teams turned up at the Valley and won convincingly? Far too many, you could see someone has said or done something to fire those boys up as there was fight and fire even when the quality left something to be desired. Riga did not do an awful lot wrong, playing two short-arses up front is not ideal but when one lump is suspended and the other is Makienok, you have to deal the cards you are dealt.

Special mentions to Messrs Cousins and Harriott and to Yun as well, much improved over Tuesday and looks like he might have something about him, if only we'd got hold of him when already match fit and not having to build him up.
  • edited March 2016
    Sint Truiden with last minute equaliser... Finish 13th; Peeters' Westerlo drop into relegation play-offs instead.
  • Well done lads. Good win.
  • There were two pitch invaders, only the bigger one made a fight of it.

Me and the boy blew a whistle and a couple of times it was at the time when it could have affected play. One of the new stewards got a bit agitated and thought about popping round but was calmed down by our regular steward and we had no one come and speak to us.

We left in 74 minutes from west lower as the north upper emptied and chanted outside until well after the game ended. Disappointed not to see the second goal but well done Charlton.

Diarra looked very good again. Gudmonsson still not got his shooting boots on, worth supporting h till he leaves.
  • Sponsored links:

• That was a proper team performance.

• I agree with most of the comments on here and enjoyed the coverage of the protests but hope the idiot who went onto the pitch gets 'named and shamed'. Then banned. Harriott was stupid having removed his shirt and should be fined.
    With regard to the protests KM was not bothered at all and seeing her demeanor 'they ain't going no where' soon. Too fun though and an excellent three points.
  • Sorry should read 'good fun'.
    P.S. I watched the match in hot, sunny Tenerife in the middle of six 'Smoggies'.
  • There were three pitch invaders... the two who must have been mates and were confronted by Gudmundsson before being led off.

Then there was another one who was the best who did a celebration running across the goal in front of the North Stand before running back over to the steward who let him back into the stand
  • If we bloody won last Tuesday...
  • A decent performance against a Boro side who clearly have problems behind the scenes.

I thought Fanni was very good today, Fox better, and really impressed with the way Yun covered for Motta who likes getting forward but isn't so good defensively. Pope did enough to keep his place when Henderson is it. Even Reza looked dangerous when he came on, and helped to set up the second goal
  • Sponsored links:

• Best display in ages. The team played like a team. It was as if the protests had liberated them from self-doubt and anxiety. A good all-round effort from all concerned, both on the pitch and on the terraces. Let's do it again. And again.

Just had a glorious vision of us protesting at every home game from here unto posterity, regardless of ownership or league position
  • CAFCTrev said:

If we bloody won last Tuesday...

MK Dons still want to be concerned... they can only seem to pick up draws which wont be enough come the end... Sadly we need someone else to start struggling too...

If only Derby had held on yesterday
  • Great performance from us but my god, Middlesbrough were terrible.

If only we'd had Riga in charge instead of Fraeye, then we might just have made a proper fight of avoiding the drop. Sadly i think today was too little too late although it does give us a glimmer of hope. 9 games to go and i think we'd need to win at least 4 and maybe 5 to have a chance. I can't see that happening.

• With classic hindsight, Lookman would have been more effective coming on as a 2nd half sub as the game opened up.

There was acres of space as Boro pushed players up.

• Cracking game, cracking efforts from CARD. Loved it
  • se9addick said:

waldo said:

I agree with most of the comments on here and enjoyed the coverage of the protests but hope the idiot who went onto the pitch gets 'named and shamed'. Then banned. Harriott was stupid having removed his shirt and should be fined.
    With regard to the protests KM was not bothered at all and seeing her demeanor 'they ain't going no where' soon. Too fun though and an excellent three points.

You want a (admittedly stupid) fellow Addick to be banned and Calum Harriott to be fined for taking off his top during celebrating a rare Charlton goal ?

I don't think we'd see eye to eye on many moral issues.
    Totally agree, good comment
  • Weird. What with everything going on, I almost didn't notice the time go by in the match. By the time I'd realised we were keeping it at 0-0 we were ahead. Was in the car park by the time we scored the 2nd. A win is more than I expected, and two clean sheets in a row is definitely an improvement on the generous form we've been in of late. Still think we'll go down, just might drag it out a little further.

AMAZING work from CARD today. Well done to everyone involved.
  • Fantastic result.

Riga has now got 12 points from 10 games. (I'm leaving aside Hull). If we'd had him all season we'd have 44 points now: 15th position and 8 clear of the relegation places. What a shame we didn't have him earlier.

Just cannot accept that, especially having witnesses the shambles on Tuesday. Today we got the win, and well done to all with that, but Boro were dreadful. Still, a win's a win but not remotely convinced that Riga is good enough
  • Very impressed with the following behind the coffin.
    The beach balls were brilliant too.

Hugely impressed by Cousins Harriot and Pope, and with some of our passing today - though too often a weak link spoiled an excellent move, but that is the quality we have this season.

Think Riga deserves more credit than he is being given. Tough job, limited players but a huge result.

I cant see past the hope of 3 more wins this season.
    But if Fulham and Rotherham only manage one, could we make it?

Do we deserve to?

Or will it be the start of 5 years trudging off to Bury, Oxford Accrington Walsall Shrewsbury and Coventry?
  • Yes I support the protests... but until we are mathematically down I also want to support the team, and in a funny way after the CARD walkout, for the last 15 minutes it was nice to just have singing to support the team