Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Views Charlton v Middlesbrough

Comments

• The 74th minute walkout was pitiful!
  • The 74 minute walkout meant we missed the second goal. I thought it was meaningful if not sufficiently supported:
  • This is the type of performance I expected when Riga took over. Very well organized (and Motta), got men behind the ball, but always looked to hit on the counter when there was space. Boro were pretty bad but I also think we made them look bad. They're a team who like to hit on the counter, and we seemed content to let them have the ball in the middle third, and they looked completely bereft of ideas. Everything they did was in front of us.

All the more impressive given we were missing our three first choice forwards (Igor, Mak, Sanogo) and that we scored from a set piece.
  • cousins had a great game, fox and pope were very solid and confident today. Motta was the only stand out bad performance for me. Everytime he controlled the ball his second touch was always a tackle. Just didn't look up to it in ability or effort.

Totally agree. Cousins got better and better as the game went on and the scouts watching Lookman would have gone home writing favourable reports for JC instead. If (when) we go down, expect JC to be moved on for a decent fee very quickly.

Delighted both Pope and, especially, Fox had good games. Both have had far too much stick this season.

And also agree about Motta - he's a liability who simply runs out of steam about the hour mark. (Not surprising as he hasn't played all season). As against MK Dons the other night, when Motta runs out of steam, he can't get back and is constantly caught out of position. Interesting to see that Riga moved Yun back to the right side to try and help him out as the game went on. The sooner Solly is fit again the better.

The other disappointment for me was Loookman. Both in this game, and his previous start against Bristol City, he has looked like a little boy lost. Huge talent undoubtedly but at the moment too easily brushed off the ball. Douchbag may be disappointed that his hoped for prize for selling him in the summer may not be as big as he expects.

Pitiful is an interesting word to use. I would counter by saying that even one fan walking out on 74 minutes was amazingly astonishing. (that's two words)
  • A major plus today is that our corners looked more dangerous than theirs!

We (finally) look much better organised at the back now, and the goal Tex scored is EXACTLY the sort of goal we've conceded on a regular basis this season.

Not spectacular perhaps but I would describe the attendance as awful in the first place. Banks of empty seats speaks volumes about how low the club has sunk
  • Shame about the result, I was looking forward to seeing a pitch invasion but we had to go and score a minute before.
    The 74th minute walkout must have been shit because they keep looping me and a couple of others walking out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Imo it proved that the protests don't affect the team, unless you lose of course ;-)

Or, that, sadly our players are getting used to them, the 'Boro/opponents not.
  • I actually think the protesting helps the players. Bizarre as it may sound, I think the protesting takes the spotlight and pressure off the players.

And there was a lot more atmosphere than usual, there aren't many games where the away supporters are outsung by the home fans
  • Great 1-0 win Guys. ( or did we lose in the end)
    For a walk out to be effective you need a crowd to start with.

Lovely day for it, and why did only a few of us have black ties on ?
    was a smashing send off and for a 95 year old lady(i'm going for 1921 not 1905) it was very respectful.

I had a brand new whistle on, and doffed my cap as the coffin went by,
    i thought of the day out to Hull recently, and the tears just rolled down my face.

To the people who only follow on line, who may be wondering what happened to the 60th minute pitch invasion ?
    When two guys run on and one squares up to a cafc player in the 58 minutes after our goal, you would need the brain of a pea to then follow.

The chance of a peaceful protest by 200 people on the pitch was always a non starter. at least it has saved a lot of people getting a 3 year ban and not being able to support the boys in League 2.

Proud of the effort and time so many fans are putting in for our club.

we are only in round 4 of a 15 round fight, but last man and woman standing will win.
  • I actually think the protesting helps the players. Bizarre as it may sound, I think the protesting takes the spotlight and pressure off the players.

My thoughts.
  • Bizarre day - loved the protests.
    We look a lot better without Mak up top and played some good stuff. Pope was unrecognisable from his nevous performance against MK Dons and the team worked their socks off - Harriott never stopped running.
    Diarra showed his class and despite losing some of his pace he still helps to shore us up at the back.
    Very emotional times at the Valley - glad I was there.
  • When I put on another thread: "When we beat Boro we will only be 5 points from safety", how many of you scoffed?
  • Sponsored links:

• ross1 said:

When I put on another thread: "When we beat Boro we will only be 5 points from safety", how many of you scoffed?

I'm looking forward to posting this comment when we survive Relegation. ;)

But today I'll hold my hands up and be the first to admit I scoffed the thought of three points against Middlesbrough, this match is always a throw away in my eyes
  • Shame about the result, I was looking forward to seeing a pitch invasion but we had to go and score a minute before.
    The 74th minute walkout must have been shit because they keep looping me and a couple of others walking out.

f.f.s! WE WON!
  • A good game, great protests, enjoyed myself and was umming and ahhing about walking out on 74 minutes (i did in the end thus missing Harriott's goal :( )

We scored from a corner, didn't concede and that was against a team featuring Rhodes and Adomah, who both appear to have scored against us a gazillion times. (OK Maybe just Rhodes).

I still think it is probably too late for a great escape and that if anyone overhauls MK Dons it's likely to be Rotherham, but it's not over yet.

COYR.
  • CAFCTrev said:

If we bloody won last Tuesday...

MK Dons still want to be concerned... they can only seem to pick up draws which wont be enough come the end... Sadly we need someone else to start struggling too...

If only Derby had held on yesterday
    Someone like Fulham you mean?
  • In some ways, staying up gives Roland an excuse not to change.

But yes Macronate, thought Fanni was excellent. Cousins the real star today though; unfortunately he stood out in front of the sky cameras.
  • vffvff
    edited March 2016

The 74th minute walkout was pitiful!

Check the pictures on the Newshopper, about 5 or 6 in. It was more effective than what what it first appeared or felt like. There is significant difference between before and after. Some great shots of the protest as well.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/charlton/14341090.GALLERY__Mock_funeral_held_and_Middlesbrough_game_disrupted_by_Charlton_Athletic_fans/
  • Best players were Pope, Fanni, Cousins and Harriott. Good performance, great result, fans did us proud but relegation looms.

Here's hoping Duchatelet sells up soon.