Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jose Riga

123457»

Comments

• Options

Godstone said:

Jose is okay. Yes, Warnock would have been a better choice...but he isn't Belgian. 3 managers in a season is desperate, just like Dowie, Reed and Pardew.

Okay isn't good enough.

I'd love Roly to stand back from his idiotic plan, appoint and back a solid English manager and see the outcome. No interfering, no landing crap no mark players on the manager.

Just running a football club correctly for a season, the results might just surprise him. Still he knows best, running half a dozen clubs that are all shit, and the one club he sells win some silverware straight away.

Iain Dowie is free
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Riga is definitely not the answer! But he is not a complete joke either.

His managerial career took a turn for the worse since he last managed charlton (head coach). The thing that is mostly (even if indirectly) f*cking up the teams success on the pitch right now is the owner of the club.
    Riga has a very very tough job....a much much harder job then last time he was here and this time the challenge has exceeded his ability to be able to fix it.
  • Options
    Changing the manager surely is not the answer. Even Warnock could not succeed at this club. As many professional commentators have said, the structure of our club is all wrong. We will continue to struggle until a proper set up is in place.

At the very least Pinocchio needs a Director of football (experienced in the championship) to 'help' her. Cannot see it happening though, Roland will think it would be a waste of a salary for a job he thinks he's doing so successfully himself.

Just my opinion, could be wrong and sometimes are.
  • Options
    Warnock would not have lasted five minutes under this mob. Warnock "Colin Wanker" as he is known on CL, is hated by many on this board. As is Malky Mkay, as is PDC and many other candidates who could have done a good job. The only person who would agree to work under this regime would be another unknown from some European backwater, or Riga, we got Riga.
  • Options

Warnock would not have lasted five minutes under this mob. Warnock "Colin Wanker" as he is known on CL, is hated by many on this board. As is Malky Mkay, as is PDC and many other candidates who could have done a good job. The only person who would agree to work under this regime would be another unknown from some European backwater, or Riga, we got Riga.

What has the attitude of the fans got to do with it? Real managers won't even make it onto KM's mythical shortlist.
  • Options

What has the attitude of the fans got to do with it? Real managers won't even make it onto KM's mythical shortlist.
    None whatsoever, it's immaterial, no experienced UK manager was ever going to be considered. It just annoys me when people say "we should have got Warnock" when Warnock has been consistently slagged off, laughed at and abused on here over many years. Fickle in the extreme!
    Riga was a genius last week for beating a team second from top with a tiny strike force.
    This week we get thumped by another team pushing for promotion away from home, and Riga becomes the devil reincarnated, double standards!
    Reasoned thinking, fairness, and balance seems to have been abandoned and replaced with a blanket hatred of anything associated with the regime. For the record I hate the regime as much as anyone and protested at the Forest game and if I discover that Riga is an RD yes man, who's intention it is to deliberately get us relegated, then I will be extremely angry and retract everything I've said.
  • Options
    I hate Colin Wanker and I'm not keen on Holloway but to me these were the type of manager who would have created a siege mentality an us against the world attitude that could have got us out of this mess a few weeks back.
    If that's fickle so be it but we needed to dance with the devil if we wanted any chance of staying up .
    The state the club has got in , due to the regimes footballing approach, meant we had to take a big change of direction to stop the one we are clearly heading in and to me Riga didn't provide this .
    That is my reasoned thinking to why we needed Colin
  • Options
    edited March 2016

I hate Colin Wanker and I'm not keen on Holloway but to me these were the type of manager who would have created a siege mentality an us against the world attitude that could have got us out of this mess a few weeks back.
    If that's fickle so be it but we needed to dance with the devil if we wanted any chance of staying up .
    The state the club has got in , due to the regimes footballing approach, meant we had to take a big change of direction to stop the one we are clearly heading in and to me Riga didn't provide this .
    That is my reasoned thinking to why we needed Colin

I've always considered Warnock a good football man who knows his stuff and how to get the best out of his players. I see him as being in the same mould as Curbs and Allerdyce. He was just the type of manager we needed. But A) zero chance of this regime appointing him, and b )Even if they did, he'd have walked out within a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    I don't think we'll ever have a British manager under this regime, well, unless Duchatelet already knows one - I don't think he does.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To be fair QA the recent unexpected blip against Middlesborough or even the win at Brentford did nothing to dissuade me from my deep distrust & dislike for Riga - who hangs around this shitty network like a bad smell. I don't think it was genius on Riga's behalf - more that we finally came up against two teams who - (in Brentford's case 3pts from their last 8 games / for 'Boro clearly rattled by their managerial shenaningans) - were even more awful than us. Normal service was resumed at Hillsborough.

I would have been happy with Warnock. MacKay & PDC - not sure they would have been the right choices but I would still have preferred them over Relegation Riga.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

He was just the type of manager we needed. But A) zero chance of this regime appointing him, and b )Even if they did, he'd have walked out within a couple of weeks.

So as with me you agree it is the appalling football approach of our club which means we have given ourselves next to no chance of survival by appointing someone like Riga rather than a Warnock type .
    So our owners without any reasoned thinking, fairness, and balance of how to get us out of the shit situation we are in have truly mucked up any chance of survival .....there is your answer to why I and I'm sure many others have a hatred of most things associated with the regime.
  • Options

He was just the type of manager we needed. But A) zero chance of this regime appointing him, and b )Even if they did, he'd have walked out within a couple of weeks.

So as with me you agree it is the appalling football approach of our club which means we have given ourselves next to no chance of survival by appointing someone like Riga rather than a Warnock type .
    So our owners without any reasoned thinking, fairness, and balance of how to get us out of the shit situation we are in have truly mucked up any chance of survival .....there is your answer to why I and I'm sure many others have a hatred of most things associated with the regime.
    Yes it is an appalling approach, but Riga was the best we could have hoped for under this regime given their history. Had the cards all fallen into place, with injuries, suspensions etc, I think Riga had the ability to keep us up, as he did before. And let's not forget that CP also worked with all these same back room staff who people are now saying were the real reason we stayed up the last time, but we were playing awfully under CP at the time and fast sinking towards relegation. Yes I know the mitigating circumstances and the difficulties CP was having to deal with, but the fact remains, we were heading for relegation because CP couldn't and wouldn't work under this regime, Riga on the other hand, could, and did so successfully.
    But I don't believe that Riga is useless, and I won't dismiss him as such just because he is Belgian or because he has worked for RD before. I recall the tweets from his son when RD didn't give him the job the last time. They were not complimentary to RD and it's fair to say that Riga was absolutely gutted.
    I put the responsibility for our plight firmly with RD, KM and RM, not Jose Riga.

• Options
    ross1 said:

Godstone said:

Jose is okay. Yes, Warnock would have been a better choice...but he isn't Belgian. 3 managers in a season is desperate, just like Dowie, Reed and Pardew.

Okay isn't good enough.

I'd love Roly to stand back from his idiotic plan, appoint and back a solid English manager and see the outcome. No interfering, no landing crap no mark players on the manager.

Just running a football club correctly for a season, the results might just surprise him. Still he knows best, running half a dozen clubs that are all shit, and the one club he sells win some silverware straight away.

Iain Dowie is free
    Free? Still overpriced.
  • Options

Yes it is an appalling approach, but Riga was the best we could have hoped for under this regime given their history. Had the cards all fallen into place, with injuries, suspensions etc, I think Riga had the ability to keep us up, as he did before. And let's not forget that CP also worked with all these same back room staff who people are now saying were the real reason we stayed up the last time, but we were playing awfully under CP at the time and fast sinking towards relegation. Yes I know the mitigating circumstances and the difficulties CP was having to deal with, but the fact remains, we were heading for relegation because CP couldn't and wouldn't work under this regime, Riga on the other hand, could, and did so successfully.
    But I don't believe that Riga is useless, and I won't dismiss him as such just because he is Belgian or because he has worked for RD before. I recall the tweets from his son when RD didn't give him the job the last time. They were not complimentary to RD and it's fair to say that Riga was absolutely gutted.
    I put the responsibility for our plight firmly with RD, KM and RM, not Jose Riga.

I'm starting to think that you are actually Jose Riga (:
  • Options
    Chris Powell's last home match as Charlton manager was a 1-0 win against the team who went on to be promoted via the playoffs.
  • Options

It's good we have different opinions but I must admit that I am really surprised that anyone still thinks Riga is a good enough manager for this division (or even the one below). All because of a good two months a couple of years ago and an ability to say the right things. If he is so adept at battling relegation (seemingly his only managerial success on a fairly poor footballing CV) then how to explain tactics in must-win matches against MK Dons and Sheffield Wednesday?
  • Options
    mogodon said:

It's good we have different opinions but I must admit that I am really surprised that anyone still thinks Riga is a good enough manager for this division (or even the one below). All because of a good two months a couple of years ago and an ability to say the right things. If he is so adept at battling relegation (seemingly his only managerial success on a fairly poor footballing CV) then how to explain tactics in must-win matches against MK Dons and Sheffield Wednesday?
    Because like you said, we all have different opinions. Riga's team would be different to mine, and mine would most likely be different to yours. But we both don't know about who is performing in training and who isn't. Who is in the right frame of mind and who isn't. Or who is carrying a knock and who isn't. There are many things we don't know about that may influence any manager in selecting a team. I rarely agree with any managers starting 11. Even Curbs used to drive me insane by picking Carl Tyler ahead of Steve Brown on numerous occasions. Riga has helped some players perform far better than they ever have before, Harriott, Sordell and Bergdich spring to mind and I cannot think of any player who's form has collapsed under his leadership, that would not be the case if he was a useless manager.
  • Options
    Warnock was in the process of taking Palace down when he got sacked, and that's good enough for me..
  • Options

Warnock was in the process of taking Palace down when he got sacked, and that's good enough for me..

See, he's a superb manager.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    well you could then say Pardew is aiming for the job at SE7.
  • Options

well you could then say Pardew is aiming for the job at SE7.

Bring a manager in from Palace? We would never do that.