Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jose Riga

Comments

• Options
    As far as I am concerned he's one of Roland's men. His record speaks for itself. He needs to go ... The only reason I can see more people aren't on his back is fear of what the hell Roland might lob at us next, mainly out of spite
  • Options
    Saw 'his' team when we were still in the pub, collective jaws on the floor

Should have stayed there

A liar and a coward.
  • Options
    IAIA
    edited March 2016
    Karel Fraeye was able to put together a system that totally outplayed Sheffield Wednesday.

Let that sink in

0-3

Can't win every time, unlucky, stronger team, whatever the post-match interview says.

They were no better in the first half at Hboro than they were at the Valley. A little better second half, same as at the Valley.

Jose Riga baby...
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Even if we get rid of him AGAIN we would only appoint another set of clueless mugs, and end up with Riga AGAIN anyway. Let's keep him and be consistently shit under him for a sustained period, rather than being consistently shit under a number of different puppets.

I noticed that Fraeye replaced Bart De Roever at Lommel United - De Roever of course being Riga's assistant at Blackpool - how long before Bart shows up at The Valley I wonder.
    Along with his weird Belgian mate Milhouse.
  • Options
    It wasn't the defeat that annoyed me. What upset me was his unwillingness to try to chnage things at the right time. WHen you don't pose enough of a threat you invite a team onto you. We did that yesterday and there were options to try to address this. Ok, the inevitable goal happened and then you would think plan B. But Lookman,who had the potential to give us something different was kept on the bench until far too late. My memory of his first spell was completely different - I don't know what has happened but he is cocked up in 2 of his last 3 games. Like I said - it wasn't about the result, it was about how he tried to affect the result, or more appropriately, how he didn't.
  • Options
    Riga was the best of a bad bunch to pick. Really didn't want that Hungarian manager, but had I had a choice I wouldn't have had Riga either.

When, not if, we are in league one, unless the manager is replaced yet again with someone who is allowed to manage the whole team and bring in players who give a damn we will be in league one for a long time and possibly hovering toward league two. Well played RD you prat. Your plan worked a treat. Oh sorry it's the fans fault, my bad
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Riga wouldn't be the first manager to have a blind spot when it comes to timely substitutions. I found CP extremely frustrating in this regard, far more so than Riga. I do question some of his decisions such as his reluctance to play Harriott when he first arrived, it may just have made a difference. But I think we are all being kept in the dark about the fitness of this squad. None of them seem to be up to the rigours of extended runs in the team. We seem to be constantly taking one step forwards but two backwards in getting players back from injury. I don't think that's down to Riga, he's been given a hospital pass. Cousins was a huge miss yesterday after the way he played last week, and he may have swung the result in our favour.
  • Options

Riga wouldn't be the first manager to have a blind spot when it comes to timely substitutions. I found CP extremely frustrating in this regard, far more so than Riga. I do question some of his decisions such as his reluctance to play Harriott when he first arrived, it may just have made a difference. But I think we are all being kept in the dark about the fitness of this squad. None of them seem to be up to the rigours of extended runs in the team. We seem to be constantly taking one step forwards but two backwards in getting players back from injury. I don't think that's down to Riga, he's been given a hospital pass.

He's not been given a hospital pass so much as called for one. He knew what he was coming in to and the conditions he would have to work under. He took this as there was nobody else that wanted him.
  • Options
    Regardless of why he got the job - he's incapable of doing it. Well out of his depth.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Obviously this doesn't just apply to Riga but what's really depressing is how we've grown to pretty much "accept" 3 or more goal defeats. Anybody can lose a game to a better team but losing 3-0 is a thrashing. Maybe it happens once, twice a season when away to a team like Burnley....but regular stuffings against fairly average teams like sheff Weds? Even in the Pardew/Parky relegation season we tended to lose by the odd goal, not 3+. It can only mean managerial incompetency.
  • Options
    At least we know who our next manager will be. Currently based in Hungary!
  • Options

Riga wouldn't be the first manager to have a blind spot when it comes to timely substitutions. I found CP extremely frustrating in this regard, far more so than Riga. I do question some of his decisions such as his reluctance to play Harriott when he first arrived, it may just have made a difference. But I think we are all being kept in the dark about the fitness of this squad. None of them seem to be up to the rigours of extended runs in the team. We seem to be constantly taking one step forwards but two backwards in getting players back from injury. I don't think that's down to Riga, he's been given a hospital pass.

He's not been given a hospital pass so much as called for one. He knew what he was coming in to and the conditions he would have to work under. He took this as there was nobody else that wanted him.
    You don't know that no one wanted him. He say's that there was another offer on the table when the chance to return to Charlton came up. His record at Metz was very good and they were high in the league, but had lost a few consecutive games. He was well liked at Charlton and well respected after keeping us up the last time. Why wouldn't he agree to come back and try to repeat that achievement? He probably had no idea just how bad things were here, he was busy managing Metz.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    johnny73 said:

At least we know who our next manager will be. Currently based in Hungary!

Probably working in something non football related or and running a vets team or pub side.

We've had a waiter and now Riga the IT manager, guess it's time for an elctrician or plumber now.
  • Options
    Just listened to the nine minutes of post-match wittering from Riga. He now says almost nothing in such a rambling way that it's at times hard to know what the hell he is on about. I was left with the impression his tactics were dubious, especially given that we needed a win.
  • Options

You don't know that no one wanted him. He say's that there was another offer on the table when the chance to return to Charlton came up. His record at Metz was very good and they were high in the league, but had lost a few consecutive games. He was well liked at Charlton and well respected after keeping us up the last time. Why wouldn't he agree to come back and try to repeat that achievement? He probably had no idea just how bad things were here, he was busy managing Metz.
    He is hardly going to breath a huge sigh and admit nobody else wanted him!. His career record is hugely uninspiring, the high keeping us in the Championship. That aside, he's almost been sacked as often as he has won.

As for his return ... Even if he did not know how bad things were, which I find unlikely, he did know how RD operates. I am sure he's a pleasant man, but not sure why anyone thinks he has the credentials to manage a club such as Charlton. We're it not for his links with RD he would probably never have got a break in football management in the first place.
    I'm sorry but that simply isn't borne out by the facts. He and CP have managed a similar number of games, but Riga has a better win% of 39% to Powells 37%. Riga has managed Liege twice, plus Metz, teams at least as good, if not better,
    than Charlton and Huddersfield.
    Guy Luzon has the best win record of all our recent managers but has generally managed teams of a lower standard.
    I'm not saying that Riga was the correct or best appointment, or that he is doing a particularly good job this time around. But we mustn't let our hatred of the regime get in the way of the facts.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Powell's in game substitutions/tactics were poor IMO for two reasons - he would hang on too long when something wasn't working and if we got our nose in front, our focus turned to stopping the other team scoring. But having said that, I think he had other qulaities. I'm sure Riga has other qulaities too, but his job was not to build a team (which Powell did supurbly btw) but to keep us up. We have entered a couple of must win games with the wrong approach. That is down to him!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He is hardly going to breath a huge sigh and admit nobody else wanted him!. His career record is hugely uninspiring, the high keeping us in the Championship. That aside, he's almost been sacked as often as he has won.

As for his return ... Even if he did not know how bad things were, which I find unlikely, he did know how RD operates. I am sure he's a pleasant man, but not sure why anyone thinks he has the credentials to manage a club such as Charlton. We're it not for his links with RD he would probably never have got a break in football management in the first place.
    I'm sorry but that simply isn't borne out by the facts. He and CP have managed a similar number of games, but Riga has a better win% of 39% to Powells 37%. Riga has managed Liege twice, plus Metz, teams at least as good, if not better,
    than Charlton and Huddersfield.
    Guy Luzon has the best win record of all our recent managers but has generally managed teams of a lower standard.
    I'm not saying that Riga was the correct or best appointment, or that he is doing a particularly good job this time around. But we mustn't let our hatred of the regime get in the way of the facts.

I have no hatred towards Riga or Fraeye, but they are what they are, namely Duchatalet's puppets. They took a opportunity to do a job way beyond their abilities and cannot be blamed for that. Fraeye did not cover himself in glory at the end but, as we now know, was rather shat on, something he should have expected. Riga started his second spell by saying the right things but has been found out. His tactics and team selection against MK Dons was, for me, the tipping point. And if he was only following orders, then he should not claim to be manager.

Accept Riga has managed SL and Charlton twice, as well as Metz and Blackpool (you forgot Sprimont Comblain Sport and Espanola Liège). It says something that he has not last more than a few months in most of these jobs.
  • Options
    Riga was sacked after failing badly at Metz & their fans were very glad when he went - he is useless. Him and Fraeye were little more than figureheads while Dyer, Matthews and Powells squad kept us up last time round with all those games in hand.

He is, very much like his mates in the boardroom, depressingly mediocre.
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Riga was sacked after failing badly at Metz & their fans were very glad when he went - he is useless. Him and Fraeye were little more than figureheads while Dyer, Matthews and Powells squad kept us up last time round with all those games in hand.

If getting a team to 6th in the league is "failing badly", and if Metz fans were glad to be rid of him, then I agree, he must be really useless.
  • Options

Oakster said:

If getting a team to 6th in the league is "failing badly", and if Metz fans were glad to be rid of him, then I agree, he must be really useless.
    Metz had been relegated from Ligue 1 the previous season & were favourites to bounce straight back they got off to a bright start but then Riga's influence started to come into play & they started to fall apart.

Mediocre & no doubt cheap coach but that seems to suit the ambition of his mates running the club.
  • Options
    Riga is useless it's as simple as that he should piss off .
  • Options
    boogica said:

Riga is useless it's as simple as that he should piss off .

In a nutshell, I think you have it pretty much correct.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Jose is okay. Yes, Warnock would have been a better choice...but he isn't Belgian. 3 managers in a season is desperate, just like Dowie, Reed and Pardew.
  • Options
    Godstone said:

Jose is okay. Yes, Warnock would have been a better choice...but he isn't Belgian. 3 managers in a season is desperate, just like Dowie, Reed and Pardew.

Okay isn't good enough.

I'd love Roly to stand back from his idiotic plan, appoint and back a solid English manager and see the outcome. No interfering, no landing crap no mark players on the manager.

Just running a football club correctly for a season, the results might just surprise him. Still he knows best, running half a dozen clubs that are all shit, and the one club he sells win some silverware straight away.

• Options
    I don't see Riga as a yes man but I do agree he's not the answer.

Doesn't have an adequate squad and those he does have are not fit for a relegation battle. Jose I think might well be a decent coach but has no depth of knowledge of English football. Therefore he's out of his depth with no real support structure to help out. Will be even worse next year when he genuinely won't have a clue about league one or where any of the teams barring Blackpool even are.

Just like Roland I see JR being around for a while yet. Our fortunes won't reverse any time soon.