Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cardiff (H) Feb 2016: Pinnochio Day!

Comments

• Options

Fans groups and individuals have gone out of their way over the past 2 years to engage with this mob.

The Trust have tried the nicely nicely approach and had that olive branch snapped, countless emails have been ignored and offers of dialogue snubbed by a multitude of people who have signalled the slightest element of dissent or not toeing the party line.

The result being that in2 years we've had:

- A staged video with a youngster
    - A pathetic power point "Q&A" which was risible in the contempt shown on that stage by Murray and Meire and the cowardly inclusion of Jackson to keep things civil. Extremely civil.
    -A staged Q& A by murray in which his scripted answers were entirely contradicted within a fortnight by the actions that followed
    - Valley Gold meetings in which the discontent is given lip service
    - Fans Forum meetings where they turn up mob handed with palace- supporting staff so far up their harris it's cringeworthy and then proceed to belittle and sneer at deidcated earnest fans
    - More recent staged interviews and press releases in which the puppet master dons his returning estranged father act and pretends now daddy is home and everything is ok continuing to patronise the supporters in the hope of appeasing them and duping them long enough to continue his futile masterplan

and probably much more.

People that have spent a lot of time and effort like Rikofold have tried the diplomatic approach and have often been derided for it by fans whilst effectively been taken for granted by the board rather than embraced for their manner and delivery of the message.

The bottom line is they don't give a monkey's toss about fans' views. Whenever I hear platitudes or see a picture of a laughing Meire holding one of CARD's very own masks the phrase "Fans need to understand it's Roland's way or nothing" rings loud in my ears. We were told this with great aplumb 2 years ago when the first seeds of discontent were sown and the message remains true today. Actions speak louder than words and the table shows our position has been made by our lame duck squad on the cheap and cobbled together by another one of their men in Riga who is happy to be compliant yet again for the fourth time in his not so sterling career.

The softly softly let's have dialogue approach has been rejected and sneered at for 2 years now. The time for talking is over and collectively we need to do whatever it is to get this mob out asap as they will not be going anywhere otherwise and will not change, that much is evident over the past 2 years and has been underlined and highlighted in bold in recent months.

Rodney and AB, a massive thank you for taking the time to break these things out for me. Some of them I was aware of, and some I was not. To me, the ppt presentation that opened with "I thought we went through this already" was more destructive than the comments made at the tech summit, but that's just me.

The hippie communist in me still hopes that someone from the regime (I appreciate it cannot/will not be KM) will sit down with CARD leaders at some point to have an open and frank dialogue. I mostly hope for this because I fear what the alternatives might be.
  • Options
    I fully support CARD and I have every confidence in the strategy and varied tactics used to date. I understand the frustrations we all feel but I believe it would be counter productive to go down the road of disrupting on field activities. We might get points deducted and, although relegation looks a probability now, we're not there yet.

I'm clutching at straws here but we're playing a side with 'ham' in the name next week and so far this season from four games against these we've managed two wins and two draws, unbeaten! I know this sounds like 'wing and a prayer' optimism, an approach which seems to be adopted by our esteemed management team.

However, yesterday was an improvement on the week before, this time against arguably better opposition, a clean sheet too and I do think Riga has more about him than the previous Head Coaches this season.

There are some quality players to come back in from injury and some 'newbies' coming up to speed. Our run in is daunting but those sides at the top will start to get nervous, which might play into out hands.

I think the time for a 'boycott' should be if and when relegation is confirmed as I'm sure under this regime, and crazily, some blame for it will otherwise be apportioned to segments of supporters.

As for CARD suggestions, a song (anyone with music industry links step up!)
    Band names might be ' Muppets & Puppets' or 'Captain Calamity and His Blundering Buffoons!'. I'd twist the lyrics to 'Another Brick in the Wall' is some way that someone with more creativity than I might manage.

Doesn't hit the regime financially but might help bolster protest funding as this is going to be a protracted campaign.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

What was her main gripe with Rick?

She really had nothing to say except a rather strange idea that I might be worried about speaking to her face to face. I'm guessing that the background to this is that I don't routinely cross the road, stand in her way or shout at her when she arrives at work four hours after her staff, which is quite true. I usually ignore her, indeed I don't always notice her.

The reason I don't confront her is that I think it both could and would appear aggressive - and provide the opportunity for her to play the victim, which she's very good at. I'm not playing that game, thanks.

She did exactly the right thing today by embracing the protest (accepting a sticker and a mask) and approaching me was no doubt also part of showing she wasn't affected by it. I'm sure she'd given it a lot of thought, but ask yourself why she was coming over to me when she actually had nothing to say.

I asked her some questions about why she will only speak to handpicked fans and cannot appear in front of them without surrounding herself with other staff, which she didn't answer. I asked her why she has never been willing to engage with the people who ran the club for 15 years and why she is so frightened of speaking to Varney, who she sneered at.

At that point two of the hovering goons intervened and indicated I wasn't allowed to continue, although as it was the street it was nothing to do with them. With hindsight I'd probably have played it differently, but then unlike Katrien I hadn't spent the last hour planning it.

Please take what I'm about to say with this in mind: this is my simple attempt at trying to help improve communication (and if this has already been attempted and I missed it, disregard and I apologize). It is meant with honesty and humility. I am nowhere near SE7, I have watched and followed the protests and responses from afar, I have not been supporting Charlton for nearly as long as most of you, and there are some things I agree with protestors on, some things less so. At the end of the day I think the club is poorly run. I would like to do what I can to help.

Everything about RD's interviews this week said to me that he has no plans to go anywhere. Given that he talks about "learning from mistakes," and this has become a common trope, but cannot provide any examples or any even vague outline of a plan on how to implement these things. To me it feels that he is incredibly insular, and that this is not a healthy business structure, or a particularly productive one.

As such, and @Airman Brown this is not to criticize your interaction today, but it feels like CARD should need to at least be prepared to engage in direct discourse with the regime in a number of forums (including, apparently, a road outside the ground). Are they? Are some of the leaders prepared to speak (calmly and civilly) to members of the regime on matter such as (and I'm using my own examples here, I know CARD have their own):

"We would like to understand the structure and running of the transfer policy when the club lacks a DoF and Chief Scout and when most business is done outside the window. What percentage of players are identified by agents, and what percentage by scouts?"

"If FFP does not progress beyond transfer bans for offenders, what are the club's plans to remain competitive in a division that is becoming an arms race? What impacts will it have on the playing staff, both at present and who we will be able to attract? Are you familiar with the history of the Premier League, specifically over the past 10-15 years and the fact that it has led to a horrible boom-bust culture (See: Portsmouth, West Ham, Bolton, Blackburn, Manchester United, Liverpool, Manchester City, etc.)?"

"Can you please explain, using example, how, in footballing terms, Charlton Athletic Football Club has directly benefited from being a part of a network of clubs who do not seem to face the same challenges or are at the same level as CAFC?"

"Do the club have plans for the reduction in income that will result from dropping down to League One? Please understand that numerous clubs have lost huge amounts of money, or nearly been bankrupted (Portsmouth, Newcastle, QPR, Bolton) by not being prepared for a drop in divisions."

Protests are an excellent method to get attention, and to provide a voice to the masses who might otherwise be voiceless. Protests are not so good with nuanced discourse. I am just trying to ask if CARD is prepared to evolve. And also, if there is anything I can do to help (I have a background in writing and do a fair amount of speaking), I would be honored to do so.

Okay, you can all go about calling me a useless keyboard warrior :).
    Fans groups and individuals have gone out of their way over the past 2 years to engage with this mob.

The Trust have tried the nicely nicely approach and had that olive branch snapped, countless emails have been ignored and offers of dialogue snubbed by a multitude of people who have signalled the slightest element of dissent or not toeing the party line.

The result being that in2 years we've had:

- A staged video with a youngster
    - A pathetic power point "Q&A" which was risible in the contempt shown on that stage by Murray and Meire and the cowardly inclusion of Jackson to keep things civil. Extremely civil.
    -A staged Q& A by murray in which his scripted answers were entirely contradicted within a fortnight by the actions that followed
    - Valley Gold meetings in which the discontent is given lip service
    - Fans Forum meetings where they turn up mob handed with palace- supporting staff so far up their harris it's cringeworthy and then proceed to belittle and sneer at deidcated earnest fans
    - More recent staged interviews and press releases in which the puppet master dons his returning estranged father act and pretends now daddy is home and everything is ok continuing to patronise the supporters in the hope of appeasing them and duping them long enough to continue his futile masterplan

and probably much more.

People that have spent a lot of time and effort like Rikofold have tried the diplomatic approach and have often been derided for it by fans whilst effectively been taken for granted by the board rather than embraced for their manner and delivery of the message.

The bottom line is they don't give a monkey's toss about fans' views. Whenever I hear platitudes or see a picture of a laughing Meire holding one of CARD's very own masks the phrase "Fans need to understand it's Roland's way or nothing" rings loud in my ears. We were told this with great aplumb 2 years ago when the first seeds of discontent were sown and the message remains true today. Actions speak louder than words and the table shows our position has been made by our lame duck squad on the cheap and cobbled together by another one of their men in Riga who is happy to be compliant yet again for the fourth time in his not so sterling career.

The softly softly let's have dialogue approach has been rejected and sneered at for 2 years now. The time for talking is over and collectively we need to do whatever it is to get this mob out asap as they will not be going anywhere otherwise and will not change, that much is evident over the past 2 years and has been underlined and highlighted in bold in recent months.
    Great post
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Dansk_Red said:

What is CAST doing?

Creating a survey as we speak no doubt.
    Probably should have put a winky face after this on reflection...
  • Options
    Pinocchio novelty toilet rolls to be thrown onto the pitch at will would disrupt the game for a few minutes at a time bit like the olden days .If you get stop tell them the toilet paper in the bogs are to rough for your piles and you wanted to rub pinocchios nose in it
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Huskaris said:

Dansk_Red said:

What is CAST doing?

Thanks for clarifying - I was after blood otherwise;-)

Results of the last survey re season ticket renewals were shared with KM and Lisa Squires, just for info.

• Options

Huskaris said:

Huskaris said:

Dansk_Red said:

What is CAST doing?

Thanks for clarifying - I was after blood otherwise;-)

Results of the last survey re season ticket renewals were shared with KM and Lisa Squires, just for info.

Would love to know of their reaction @Weegie Addick ?

I suspect they just don't believe it. I think they are in for a very nasty surprise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yeah I know it is 'only' a silly mask but we all know (and KM knows as well) that is directed at her. I personally would not like it if it was my wife or daughter(if I had one) having to put up with this at their work place.........I'm not having a go mate but it's just how I feel.

If it was my wife I would suggest that she stop lying to her "customers", CW1.
  • Options

The people that want a violent protest but don’t fancy getting involved themselves. #cafc pic.twitter.com/yLF0mnoJuG

— David Norris (@Nozza_) February 14, 2016
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

For those of you that have contributed please do let me know if you're upset.

Well done all involved. And thank you to those handing me money in the car park. Especially you @harveys gardener .

But After the Pinocchios, ME14 owned that demo! She's my new heroine along with ArseneTatters. Great women.

Learn something there KM.

Cheers. Onwards and upwards guys. X

I am more than happy with how Card is spending the money I have contributed to fund. We can all participate in the campaign even if not a direct payment to the fund. I will continue not to buy a programme or buy jackpot tickets - only £5 I know but others are doing the same so I imagine it all adds up. I have also attended the 5 pm protests because I think it is the 'right thing to do' and really appreciate all that has been organised.

One thing yesterday is that we were really unlucky that it was a cold, wet day and that literally puts a damper on things.

• Options

dickplumb said:

I am all for the protests as I was there today showing solidarity with the other protesters. But I am against the gimmicks. To me it devalues the protest.

As others have said, standing outside the ground at 5PM chanting every other Saturday will not continue to get nationwide publicity. New and varying ideas and "gimmicks" will. That is the whole point of it.
    This, this and this some more
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just want to highlight there was a teenager at the top of Floyd Rd nearest the shops who was wearing a mask and giving out stickers. Think he has helped on a few protests now and is right at the front away from most of the other helpers.

His hands were literally blue with cold yesterday peeling off stickers to give to people.

I think you post on here but not sure of your name, but you fella are an absolute trouper. Thanks so much for your efforts.

Don't particularly like to single people out because every volunteer has been amazing, but this young lad really made an impact on me yesterday, particularly as I know it wasn't a one off.

Thats ok mate. Thanks for the name check.
  • Options

Just want to highlight there was a teenager at the top of Floyd Rd nearest the shops who was wearing a mask and giving out stickers. Think he has helped on a few protests now and is right at the front away from most of the other helpers.

His hands were literally blue with cold yesterday peeling off stickers to give to people.

I think you post on here but not sure of your name, but you fella are an absolute trouper. Thanks so much for your efforts.

Don't particularly like to single people out because every volunteer has been amazing, but this young lad really made an impact on me yesterday, particularly as I know it wasn't a one off.

Was going to pretend it was me to take the credit but probably best not to masquerade as a teenager on the internet after second thoughts.
    Nah, its fine - nobody will know
  • Options
    Political campaigns and elections are won by convincing the undecided not by street theatre that makes those who are already convinced of the arguments feel good (as Jeremy Corbyn and co will also find out in due course). Yesterday was a bad day for campaigning.

Some of the hotheads clearly do not understand, or respect, the support the team not the regime line.
  • Options
    The protests bead a leader with a megaphone ,it will keep us together loud and organised, he could also speak to the regime through it drawing more attention to the lack of listening by them.
  • Options

Beckboy said:

Pinocchio novelty toilet rolls to be thrown onto the pitch at will would disrupt the game for a few minutes at a time bit like the olden days .If you get stop tell them the toilet paper in the bogs are to rough for your piles and you wanted to rub pinocchios nose in it

Is that Schlessin (home of Standard) ?

• Options
    Curb_It said:

Well done all involved. And thank you to those handing me money in the car park. Especially you @harveys gardener .

But After the Pinocchios, ME14 owned that demo! She's my new heroine along with ArseneTatters. Great women.

Definitely not upset. You are all doing a good job in my eyes.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Curb_It said:

Definitely not upset. You are all doing a good job in my eyes.
    But where is the photographic evidence of the Pinocchio 6 ? I only did it for my fifteen seconds of fame and there doesn't seem to be a trace. Has Addikted2The Reds destroyed all records of the event ? I think we should be told.
  • Options
    A question for Airman -
    Did the welcome opening of dialogue on a street corner between our CEO and your good self yesterday actually prompt her to agree to a PROPER meeting of any sort between the protest leaders and her?
    Did she take your number or details, or suggest a suitable time for the chance to have a constructive discussion? If she did then that might suggest that this regime were trying to rectify some of the mistakes Roland referred to.
    If she didn't then that just indicates more of the same old tripe.
    Now I am not known for my psychic abilities, but some strange intuition tells me that no meeting was really arranged by Katrien Meire.;-)
    And if my clairvoyancy is wrong, and indeed there was, may I suggest, Airman that you check on the day if said meeting is actually taking place.
    Only sometimes CEOs can get very busy, very suddenly with other important things. Don't cancel tea with the vicar, Airman, or doing your hair on that day just yet ;-)