Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Transfer Deadline Day - Charlton related (9pm - Yaya Sanogo on loan)

Comments

• Peter_G said:

Deadline passed; Lookman still here. Hopefully he'll sign the new deal too.

Either way, I can't see him being here next season.
  • I have a really good feeling about Fanni, reckon he'll surprise a few on here... Not a sentence I ever thought I'd say.
  • Don't think I have ever disagreed with the G49 but sanogoal holds the ball up on a total different Way to big mak if anything I think sanogoal is a plan b type of solution not a like for like style replacement, as a goal scorer I think it's a shit option, I have read on here the championship is a different level to where he has been and he should do ok. But I have seen him miss chances that he shouldn't miss, not even testing the keeper at times when as a minimum making the keeper save it is harder than scoring, Yet he misses the goal, on the other side of that coin I have thought his build up and approach play has a lot to offer as does his channel runs into dangerous areas, it's just he has no composure as a finisher
  • If like Grapevine says it turns out he played 20odd games at CB in France last season, then fair enough I reassess a little. Not doubting for a minute he is going to have quality. Would still prefer a fat-necked lump from a northern pit town at CB though!
  • I think Fanni doesn't carry any risks at all Dan tbh

His experienced and has a fine pedigree, what I will agree with is that it's no risk die to it costing nothing and yet again we haven't spent money

It's a risk imo in that it's a position we didn't need to strengthen, and bringing in another overseas on a 5 month contract, if things aren't going well in the next couple of months, I just don't see these type of signings having the mentality to dig out a tough point on the road etc, probably an unfair generalisation and I'm pretty sure the bloke will prove decent (I'm a huge Diarra fan), but at the expense of Solly?
    I'm gonna guess this blokes a better Cb than Lennon.
    Then if he is to play CB then I'd rather we brought in a CB rather than a RB who has been playing in Qatar in a nothing league.

Just my opinion, fully appreciate if others think I'm being negative. Perhaps I'm just too old skool in approach but if I was assessing what a Championship team needed to get out a relegation zone with three months to go, I would have gone down a different route with signings.

He played alot of games as Cb for Marseille last season. Plus we have Diarra and Bauer who can play there when fit. The need for a 'main' Cb isn't that high on the agenda but the short term fix is.

Then, once Bauer is fit then it's competition for places and cover for Solly. Not a bad signing at all imo and adds more balance to the squad.
  • Where the f*** do we find these people?
  • Be interesting to see these guys this weekend. Sanogo looks like a poor man's Makienok, Fanni a poor man's Diarra. But I'll give them both a shot.
  • Am I correct in thinking that both signings were not contingent on the transfer window, and could have just as easily been done next week?

Fanni couldn't have been signed in the emergency loan window as he is not based domestically.

Sanogo could have been done next week, but then obviously wouldn't be available for Saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• If like Grapevine says it turns out he played 20odd games at CB in France last season, then fair enough I reassess a little. Not doubting for a minute he is going to have quality. Would still prefer a fat-necked lump from a northern pit town at CB though!

Which shows your class.......can't do smiley things
  • addick05 said:

So that's another two foreign players (one of whom his coach at Ajax did not rate) with no experience of the Championship. Singularly unimpressed but I will reserve judgement until I see them in action.

Why are you reserving judgement? It's like we are all too afraid to say what we all really think and feel.

You make two good points. Neither are English and neither has experience in this league, let alone a relegation fight in this league.

On top of that, one is 34 years old and will have rings run round him by younger opposition, fact. He currently plays in a league where the quality of games is dire. Realistically, how long do you think he will need to settle and how long have we got to give him?

The other is a striker who hasn't scored a competitive goal in 3 years? I wonder why no one else was in for him.....hummmm?

Both are on loan. Neither will fight passionately for this club. Neither need this team to stay up. Fanni, at 34 has nothing to prove. He's taking the last few quid he can earn.

As for the other guy....if he was half decent a) Wenger would have him playing first team football by now ( he's not exactly a 17 year old causing waves is he) and b) he would have at least scored some goals?

I'm sorry, but yet again these are two utter shit signings, neither of whom I'm happy to see arrive. they will do nothing and if I'm wrong, give it a few weeks and I'll admit I'm wrong. But I'm bloody sure I won't be.

God....I just need to hear Mak and Reza have signed contracts and that'll push me over the edge.

• Bit disappointed we didn't activate James Henry's SE London release clause in his new contract
  • I hope neither make the starting team this weekend.

Even if we had signed Kurt Zouma, I wouldn't have started him this week. (Note to self sometimes you screw up)

You have your Real England Hero Plucky Top Lad in Roger Johnson, disaster signing and near-alcoholic supreme
  • edited February 2016
    I do wonder if we ever really intended to or tried to make a permanent signing this window. It's interesting that Rotherham's local press completely denied we ever bid for Clarke-Harris.

Will Sanogo or Fanni be here this time next year? I highly doubt it. More short-term signings. Where are the Premier League ambitions in that? How does any football club progress that way?

I'd love to know who scouted Rod Fanni. Did anyone or was it a last minute call from an agent?
  • Peter_G said:

Deadline passed; Lookman still here. Hopefully he'll sign the new deal too.

For me this is the best news for the run in. I do fear he will be gone in the summer tho. The rest of the activity today im not greatly impressed with, but being optimistic they may just get a few goals and stop a few goals between them. Having played football manager games for years i know how helpful loan players can be lol but ideally you dont want to be running the club that way for too long. Heres hoping we move up the league in feb.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2016

The problem is every January Window ,we have to go for the short term signing because we're in the Brown stuff (23rd is the brown stuff)

Can i state the fuc#ing obvious and say start the season, and have a proper pre season with the same group of 22 + that will then have the core fitness and skill to play 46 matches just changing a couple in the mid season window.

Sorry i've just used a common sense way to run a Pro football club.

It won't happen until Roland and Katrien are gone
    Why can't Richard Murray get the point across to them,
    that the season starts in August and not January

He would have more chance of getting a return on his money ?

Didn't Judas get 30 pieces of silver for his betrayal.

What is Dicky boy getting ?

Not money.
  • edited February 2016
    Not sure why there's so much negativity over the new signings, after all, it's like with any other new employee, you don't really know what they can do until they've been with you for a while. :)
  • Pretty amazed with the signing of Sanogo. He's tall, quick and had amazing feet. We've also had a good run with Arsenal loans.
  • Chunes said:

Pretty amazed with the signing of Sanogo. He's tall, quick and had amazing feet. We've also had a good run with Arsenal loans.

He's no Gnabry though.......
  • For me both signings are about playing style and team balance.

For Sanogo - if we have made a decision to stick with playing Makienok up top then we have to adopt a style of play to suit him. At that point the squad needs someone of similar physique and style who is going to a) compete with him b) be his back up? c) give an option to double up

As it stood if Makienok were injured/ loses form you would have to completely change the style of play. I have no idea whether the lad can deliver at this level but then to be honest neither have 90% of you.

As a youth player he had an outstanding profile but he has struggled for the consistency to make the grade at Arsenal. He will hardly be the first to have suffered that fate and for the past 2 -3 years has like so many young players today become a bit part player wherever he has played.

I am simply not going to prejudge whether the guy can play based on a few cameo appearances here and there.

Lets give the guy some support. Who knows it may be the making of him.

For Fanni - the guy started 22 games at Centre Back for Olympic Marseille in Ligue 1 last season.

He also provides excellent cover at right back if they need to manage/ rest Solly.

Both cover two of the glaring weaknesses (others still remain) in the balance and structure of the squad assembled during the close season.

There is no bigger critic of this regimes recruitment policy than me and I suggest Riga has been instrumental in trying to fix the nonsense he inherited.

With the earlier signing of Texiera he has addressed what was a "powder puff" spine to the team. It speaks volumes to his assessment of the readiness of Sarr & Johnson to contribute this season.

That either of these latter players were signed in the first place is quite another matter.

Excellent post . I do wonder, however, if it can be said that Makienok is in form