Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Am I The Only One That Wants Roland To Stay?

Comments

• Options
    PL54 said:

Does post post come after pre post ?

Gotta laugh now!:-D
  • Options
    Interested to know how the 'RD to stay' lobby are feeling now. Has anyone changed their views over the last month? Or would you still prefer the status quo to continue?

I'm not angling for an argument; I'm just genuinely intrigued, because it's a viewpoint that I don't understand. What I'm seeing is our club going down the sh*tter and no prospect of an end to it under the current ownership.
  • Options
    He's the Pol Pot of football, he wants to take our club back to year zero. I'd say he is on his way to achieving it.
    There should be UN resolutions over his experiments.
  • Options
    Eventually the blind may see
  • Options

Eventually the blind may see

Only if there's a miracle like the one we are going to need to stay up as things stand at the moment :disappointed:
  • Options
    .....but think how great we might feel if we storm League 2 with 100+ points in 2018.
  • Options
    I think that's a very fair post from altrincham. Most (myself included) want RD out and to take his CEO and manager with him.

However i'd guess that quite a few would be happy for him to stay as long as he changed the manager and reviewed his transfer strategy and believing we can cope through a 46 game season with a paper thin squad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nothing that he has done since he took over suggests he will change the way he recruits coaches, players and staff. None of them are hired because they are the best for the job. They are cheap gambles. A couple of players have turned out okay but that's it.
  • Options
    @altrinchamaddick thanks for reminding me of RD's strategy that he only employs people he can trust. I think that philosophy has been blown out of the water because all of those he trusts end out doing an awful job (apart from Riga) and get sacked.
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

As I started the initial thread I feel I should reply to this query. I am obviously unhappy with the results on the pitch. Freye appears to be out of his depth, tactical problems and slow to make substitutions when required, as discussed by others on the post match threads. As detailed by other posters we lack depth in several positions. Do I think Roland is good for the club and I still say yes. It is the long game I am interested in and the continued survival of my club for the future. Roland is still investing in the infrastructure of the club, developing the training facilities and the academy. Managers and CEO's come and go. Owners who are prepared to support a club with money are thin on the ground.

I am not blinkered and this continued policy to employ belgiums or people from the network, is clearly not working, and needs to be reviewed. The arguement given is that he only wants to employ people whom he trusts. He now needs to rethink this policy and come up with a stategy where the best possible manager that the club can afford and understands the relentless nature of the Championship be appointed. The reliance of his network to identify new players be scrapped and an alternative employed.

I do not want to get relegated, but I will continue to support my team. I have not fallen out of love for CAFC, and was at Burnley to support the team. We are in a relegation battle and every supporter needs to get behind the team. I was fuming with the ironic cheering of Makienok at the Bolton game and the first header he made at Burnley. He went on to have his best game in a Charlton shirt. This toxic atmosphere is not helping the players on the pitch and some of the fans have to take responsibility. I wish that fans who want Duchatelet out could support the team on the pitch for the full 90 mins, as long as they are seen to be putting in a shift for the club.

RD is still the only one who invested his money in our club when no one else wanted to know
    Wrong ?
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

As I started the initial thread I feel I should reply to this query. I am obviously unhappy with the results on the pitch. Freye appears to be out of his depth, tactical problems and slow to make substitutions when required, as discussed by others on the post match threads. As detailed by other posters we lack depth in several positions. Do I think Roland is good for the club and I still say yes. It is the long game I am interested in and the continued survival of my club for the future. Roland is still investing in the infrastructure of the club, developing the training facilities and the academy. Managers and CEO's come and go. Owners who are prepared to support a club with money are thin on the ground.

I am not blinkered and this continued policy to employ belgiums or people from the network, is clearly not working, and needs to be reviewed. The arguement given is that he only wants to employ people whom he trusts. He now needs to rethink this policy and come up with a stategy where the best possible manager that the club can afford and understands the relentless nature of the Championship be appointed. The reliance of his network to identify new players be scrapped and an alternative employed.

I do not want to get relegated, but I will continue to support my team. I have not fallen out of love for CAFC, and was at Burnley to support the team. We are in a relegation battle and every supporter needs to get behind the team. I was fuming with the ironic cheering of Makienok at the Bolton game and the first header he made at Burnley. He went on to have his best game in a Charlton shirt. This toxic atmosphere is not helping the players on the pitch and some of the fans have to take responsibility. I wish that fans who want Duchatelet out could support the team on the pitch for the full 90 mins, as long as they are seen to be putting in a shift for the club.

RD is still the only one who invested his money in our club when no one else wanted to know
    True, but despite the investment in infrastructure he is still choking the club to death through his parsimonious operating budget and "fuck the reality, I'm right" attitude to staff and player recruitment. Why would you want to save the club and then let it wallow in despair? It doesn't make any sense.
  • Options
    Roland was the only mug who would pay the over inflated price that the chuckle brothers sold it for
  • Options

Roland was the only mug who would pay the over inflated price that the chuckle brothers sold it for

That could well be true ... I'm sure others have a better insight into this.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    colin1961 said:

And what has he achieved with that money? He may have prolonged our relegation (I think we ARE going down this season), but in doing so he has sold many of our best players, ruined attendances, and racked up even more debts (that we now owe to Staprix) and turned the club into a joke. I would have taken our chances with administration if I knew it was going to turn out like this (though I do not expect we would have gone into administration).
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited December 2015

. The arguement given is that he only wants to employ people whom he trusts.

I think it's more than this. Why didn't he trust Jose Riga who saved us from relegation and did a fantastic job? Why, after giving him the job in the first place, didn't he reappoint him for the following season? Riga obviously loved managing us and loved it in the Championship. So, why not? Because, for whatever reason, our owner felt he couldn't control him. Maybe he spoke out of turn. Maybe he asked for certain players. Who knows but it was a no brainer that he should have been reappointed and he wasn't. And that is the problem. It's not that he employs people who he trusts. It's that he employs people he can control. That's why he has a young CEO with no football experience who won't say boo to a goose. Because she is easy to control.

Unfortunately we are being run by a megalomaniac, a control freak, whatever you want to call him.

Now, the problem with a megalomaniac is that, by definition, they will always have people working for them who are spineless and don't speak out of turn. Or, if they are not spineless, they will be got rid of quickly. That's what's going on. He may think he has the interests of Charlton at heart but if he is so arrogant and deluded to think that it's his way or the highway then he will never truly be able to see what is really happening. And that's the problem. I believe he is incapable of dealing with people who have an opinion which he doesn't agree with.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colin1961 said:

Do you drink in the Royal Oak?
  • Options
    EastStand said:

Essex_Al said:

I've nicked this from ITTV because this sums up the situation perfectly for me!

People who want Charlton to lose and be relegated and who are trying to empty the stadium because they think it will force the owner to sell should be careful what they wish for.

Who will he sell to?

It took Jiminez and Slater how long to find a buyer - two seasons wasn't it?

So we get relegated and spend 2016-17 in div one. Duchatalet is trying to sell because he's fed up with the grief but nobody is buying. So he cuts off the funding, as Cash did when Jiminez and Slater were running the shop. Let's suppose that crowds have fallen to 7-8,000 as royston and reams predict, so there's hardly sufficient revenue to pay the wage bill. The remaining decent players are sold. CAFC get relegated to Div Two for 2017-18 and attendances fall further to 4-5,000.

Once you fall into such a spiral of decline, it can be very, very difficult to get out of it.

And if Duchatalet does finally finds a buyer? Best bet: an American or middle-eastern consortium or a hedge fund that revives the plan to sell the Valley and build a new multi-purpose 365 day venue on the Greenwich Peninsula.

Nah.We should welcome the many good things the current owner has done and then seek to persuade him that with a slightly better/larger squad the above scenario can be avoided and Charlton can rise up the table rather than drifting down it.

Thanks to incurruptableaddick for his thoughts.

I can't think of a single post/tweet/overheard conversation where this has been said by any Charlton fan.

We want to win and gain promotion with an owner guiding a well run, accountable, recognisably Charlton club. That is all.
    We haven't had "ownership" that ran Charlton well for some time. Even during our heady days in the Premier League Charlton have been running at a loss.
  • Options

He's the Pol Pot of football, he wants to take our club back to year zero. I'd say he is on his way to achieving it.
    There should be UN resolutions over his experiments.

What is your alternative? Find another benefactor who will bankroll Charlton rather than finding a different business model?
  • Options
    I understand people want to support RD as it was him bought the club from the'chuckle brothers', but as I have said over and over again, his business plan is not making any sense!! You plough money into infrastructure, training ground and the pitch, yet your prize asset - the first team squad - is left to flounder and struggle!! Any businessman in his right mind would understand that you make sure your prize asset is in good fettle and from that you build your business. We may well have installed new seats, and he wants the academy to get level 1 status and we have a lovely new pitch, BUT we wont attract the right players, up and coming youngsters or fans to sit on shinny new seats playing League 1 football!!! He has a 4 week window to change his business model, invest NOW in his prize asset, keep the team in the Championship and then next season who knows? I'm not screaming for RD to leave per say (although, if there was someone out there who would buy us, then I'd take that), however, if his advisers don't tell him his 'model' isn't working and he needs to change it, he WILL end up losing more money and any smidgen of 'goodwill' he still has.
  • Options
    " The arguement given is that he only wants to employ people whom he trusts."

What this actually means & I am quite serious -

RD will only employ a coach, that he can trust, to do as he is told, without questioning RD.

Whether he can coach or not is relatively immaterial.

RD has no interest in the first team, other than as a conduit (shop window) for his player exchange experiment.

We are a player development and exchange experiment. The football itself is just an unwanted distraction, as are the supporters.

If RD could carry out his experiment without a first team and supporters, I'm sure he would.
  • Options
    Rob said:

. The arguement given is that he only wants to employ people whom he trusts.

I think it's more than this. Why didn't he trust Jose Riga who saved us from relegation and did a fantastic job? Why, after giving him the job in the first place, didn't he reappoint him for the following season? Riga obviously loved managing us and loved it in the Championship. So, why not? Because, for whatever reason, our owner felt he couldn't control him. Maybe he spoke out of turn. Maybe he asked for certain players. Who knows but it was a no brainer that he should have been reappointed and he wasn't. And that is the problem. It's not that he employs people who he trusts. It's that he employs people he can control. That's why he has a young CEO with no football experience who won't say boo to a goose. Because she is easy to control.

Unfortunately we are being run by a megalomaniac, a control freak, whatever you want to call him.

Now, the problem with a megalomaniac is that, by definition, they will always have people working for them who are spineless and don't speak out of turn. Or, if they are not spineless, they will be got rid of quickly. That's what's going on. He may think he has the interests of Charlton at heart but if he is so arrogant and deluded to think that it's his way or the highway then he will never truly be able to see what is really happening. And that's the problem. I believe he is incapable of dealing with people who have an opinion which he doesn't agree with.
    This this this this this this this this & this.
  • Options

It's a shade worrying when a striker we've paid a fair sum for to have on loan's best performance for us is during a 4-0 away loss. No-one likes the ironic cheering or booing of our own players but you have to dig to the root of the problem, when we've seen simply SO many over the past 2 years in comparison to the odd one here and there (Lawrie Wilson etc.) it's no surprise fans have started to turn.

I won't bother to argue/try to reason with you and your thinking, as everyones entitled to an opinion, it's my opinion (and has been for the past two years) we will not progress in the coming years under this man, our progression came to a halt the moment this man took over.. He has no eyes on progression, he has eyes on everything else. Sad situation that people are still accepting of the way this man runs our club simply because they don't believe anyone else would buy us and run us, like the world is short of rich men. Just look at Bournemouth, you don't need to invest billions to succeed, you need stability; a well run Club from top to bottom and an experienced coach you're willing to give time to.
  • Options

A good post AA, and one I still pretty much side with.

The only thing I do find strange is that RD is obviously a very successful business man, he has obviously had to reply on employing quality professionals to help him build up his business empire. Why then does he insist on supplying us with sub standard professionals to manage our team?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Essex_Al said:

A good post AA, and one I still pretty much side with.

The only thing I do find strange is that RD is obviously a very successful business man, he has obviously had to reply on employing quality professionals to help him build up his business empire. Why then does he insist on supplying us with sub standard professionals to manage our team?
    Because the team is irrelevant. He has in place people (at low salaries) who will keep to the budget he sets whilst players are developed / bought and sold. The profit on those will go to Staprix (eg Watt?) and the debt of running the farm etc is offset by income from the match day experience and by loading the debt on the club (at a good interest rate to Starprix) to be passed on in the eventual sale. As I have said since sheff utd there is no football ambition to this plan at all as there doesn't need to be. Whether he is succeeding re profit from players only time will tell.
    This why he doesn't watch games. Where he is clever is he knows he will always find a buyer to repay his loans.