Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Am I The Only One That Wants Roland To Stay?

Comments

• Options

You make some good points there , @altrinchamaddick, and respect to you for posting as you did.

I too want Roland Duchatelet to succeed, because

- unlike most owners of English clubs, his wealth is both transparent and made in a way that benefit society. There is not even any suggestion that either at corporate or personal level he indulges in aggressive tax avoidance. Blimey that makes him almost unique in the English game :-)

- he is against many of the bad aspects of our game, including the power of agents, and supports a properly regulated FFP

- I can see benefits of a network of European clubs

I also want Katrien Meire to succeed because if our CEO was a 31 year old woman from abroad, and seen to be succeeding, I'd be proud of that. And everyone could stop fawning over Baroness Brady.

Unfortunately by all rational measure his tenure appears to be failing, in that we have not improved our (dire) league position as we approach the 2nd anniversary, gates are falling, and dissatisfaction is rife (I'll come back to that). On top of that, his tenure at his other clubs is also failing to show any improvement, as far as I can discern and learn from contacts at most of them.

The 2% was a most unfortunate remark, and has been rationally and comprehensively disproved by the latest CAST survey which shows that 93% of a sample of 512 believe fans are right to protest. There are inevitably some (minor) issues with the research but it is clear beyond any reasonable doubt that a large majority endorse that view. Certainly it's a much better guide than the assumptions behind the crude arithmetic of 2%.

@LoOkOuT has pointed out that in truth there's a spectrum of opinion, as there nearly always is. There were people in 1990 who didn't want us to return to the Valley, but to stay at Selhurst. I met them. Part of the spectrum will involve what is meant by "protest".

I was disappointed to read that you don't feel able to support Black and White, because it is asking only for RD to explain rationally how and why you are right to put your faith in him, in the face of evidence that his current strategy is in danger of failing. It does not call for him to leave. Personally I would not join a protest demanding he 'leave" because it is currently pointless. He is the 100% owner of a private business. He will exit when he decides that he wants to. We all need to face up to that uncomfortable truth. On the other hand the better CAFC is performing, the more he will get from any sale. That's where our interests coincide, and we can seek to persuade him of that. Only civilised, rational, two way dialogue will persuade him of that, though.

LMFAO 93% of people of 512 people asked outside the west stand last Saturday afternoon felt the fans were right to protest, the other 7%, were the stewards standing in front of them.
  • Options
    93% believe in the right to protest

How many of that 93% did protest
  • Options

What Roland and Katrien say they want for our club, is pretty much how I want us to be. Community focussed, good rep for developing talent (although it'd be nice to see some of them okay a few more games for us, but that is modern football to an extent), run properly financially and for our average position to be top half of the Championship. I'm happy with that.

The trouble is, so far, quite often what they say and what they do have to not always been consistent with each other.

I'm put in mind a bit of the film Mars Attacks when the Martians are running amuck destroying everything in their path with their ray guns while shouting we will not hurt you, we are your friends.

I read in a book that Roland Duchelet is from Mars,
    and Katrien Meire is from Venus.
    I just wish CAFC would aim for the stars.
  • Options
    He's running the club as a business, which is hard as the club is our (fans) passion. He has/will put the right investment in the right areas, the club was making massive loses. He's bought financial stability,

I accept cost cutting had to be carried out, but they put all there eggs in 1 basket with the ffp and the cuts have too much for a paper thin squad, making us fans think he doesn't have any ambition.

Starting to wonder if Roland's not really the problem

• Options
    edited November 2015

You make some good points there , @altrinchamaddick, and respect to you for posting as you did.

- unlike most owners of English clubs, his wealth is both transparent and made in a way that benefit society. There is not even any suggestion that either at corporate or personal level he indulges in aggressive tax avoidance. Blimey that makes him almost unique in the English game :-)

- he is against many of the bad aspects of our game, including the power of agents, and supports a properly regulated FFP

I also want Katrien Meire to succeed because if our CEO was a 31 year old woman from abroad, and seen to be succeeding, I'd be proud of that. And everyone could stop fawning over Baroness Brady.

Unfortunately by all rational measure his tenure appears to be failing, in that we have not improved our (dire) league position as we approach the 2nd anniversary, gates are falling, and dissatisfaction is rife (I'll come back to that). On top of that, his tenure at his other clubs is also failing to show any improvement, as far as I can discern and learn from contacts at most of them.

The 2% was a most unfortunate remark, and has been rationally and comprehensively disproved by the latest CAST survey which shows that 93% of a sample of 512 believe fans are right to protest. There are inevitably some (minor) issues with the research but it is clear beyond any reasonable doubt that a large majority endorse that view. Certainly it's a much better guide than the assumptions behind the crude arithmetic of 2%.

@LoOkOuT has pointed out that in truth there's a spectrum of opinion, as there nearly always is. There were people in 1990 who didn't want us to return to the Valley, but to stay at Selhurst. I met them. Part of the spectrum will involve what is meant by "protest".

I was disappointed to read that you don't feel able to support Black and White, because it is asking only for RD to explain rationally how and why you are right to put your faith in him, in the face of evidence that his current strategy is in danger of failing. It does not call for him to leave. Personally I would not join a protest demanding he 'leave" because it is currently pointless. He is the 100% owner of a private business. He will exit when he decides that he wants to. We all need to face up to that uncomfortable truth. On the other hand the better CAFC is performing, the more he will get from any sale. That's where our interests coincide, and we can seek to persuade him of that. Only civilised, rational, two way dialogue will persuade him of that, though.

LMFAO 93% of people of 512 people asked outside the west stand last Saturday afternoon felt the fans were right to protest, the other 7%, were the stewards standing in front of them.
    It was an on-line survey taken the day before the meeting...
  • Options

Having gone back and read throught the aims of the black and white protest I could support this. I initially thought when writing my post that it was more of the same, demanding Roland out. The communication with the fans has been poor, and I think that Katrien recognised this during the fans forum. Time will tell if the situation improves.
  • Options
    I still can't find a thread condemning KM's ability cos she's female
  • Options
    Sorry, in my last post I meant to quote PragueAddick
  • Options
    edited November 2015

93% believe in the right to protest

How many of that 93% did protest

The question was not about believing in the right to protest. We are not in Belarus :-)

These were the key findings

91% dissatisfied with how the Club is being run since RD took over (48% not at all satisfied).
    93% agree that fans should protest about the way the club is being run (60% strongly agree).

That is the only rational measure of the current mood of fans. Of course that figure could change quickly if we win the next 4 games, but those are big majorities.

The previous survey just a few weeks earlier, and when things were already starting to go wrong showed that 80% said the trust should continue to seek dialogue with the ownership of the Club. So if your mate is trying to suggest the polls are dominated by the ultra- aggressive element of our fans, he has no grounds for doing so.

Edit: sample was 562, not 512.
  • Options
    Can I confine myself to just one area, the appointment of Katrin Meire. During my career I worked with a number of very wealthy and highly successful business people. Each of them I'm sure when appointing a CEO would have begun with very carefully written job specification, outlining very clear requirements from candidates. Bearing in mind the history of our Club, and it's current situation, I firmly believe that requirement number one would have been to appoint someone with experience and good knowledge of running a Club in the English Leagues. That would have been totally essential.

Now consider the qualifications of KM. Only my opinion of course, but I have to imagine that top of Roland's list would have been ' I want someone who wil do exactly what I say without argument '. My experience over 60 years is that putting a square peg into a square hole is essential, plus of course good support and motivation. Make your own conclusions.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gumbo said:

He's running the club as a business, which is hard as the club is our (fans) passion. He has/will put the right investment in the right areas, the club was making massive loses. He's bought financial stability,

I accept cost cutting had to be carried out, but they put all there eggs in 1 basket with the ffp and the cuts have too much for a paper thin squad, making us fans think he doesn't have any ambition.

The operating loss has increased from 2013/14 to 2014/15.
  • Options

Gumbo said:

Is there a mention of by how much? I meant cutting cost in the amount of players that left the club
  • Options
    Now now Prague , I have a name, and NLA is no friend of mine.
  • Options
    The problem as I see it is that Roland purchased the Club with £ signs in his eyes. We support the Club with history, memories, passion and love. Not a very easy combination.
  • Options

Now now Prague , I have a name, and NLA is no friend of mine.

:-) He speaks highly of you

That's a pity because I seriously couldn't understand what you were on about and i thought he might help me, since we're discussing something not Charlton connected off list

• Options

As the rain pours down in Manchester, I thought I would try to get my views on the current crisis across, as I am one of the 98% silent majority.

I have been following Charlton since 1965 and after retiring I have been a season ticket holder and a Valley Gold member. I have been to every home and away fixture this season ( bar MK Dons).

I fully support Roland Duchatelet’s aims of:
    1. Creating a team that is competitive in the Championship with Premiere League ambitions.
    2. Develop and improve the infrastructure of The Valley.
    3. Improve the training facilities and Academy setup at Sparrows Lane, in order to provide our own players of the future.

I am pretty sure that most fans would support these objectives, so the arguments are around how they are to be achieved and how fast they happen.

Having been through the traumatic times of Hulyer and Fryer and the gradual decline of The Valley under Jimenez and Slater I want to see a steady evolution of the club, with a realistic budget that does not put the club in financial jeopardy in the future.

Duchatelet has certainly not got everything right. Player recruitment has obviously been a concern, especially last season and to a lesser extent this, with some signings not up to the standard or especially the rigour of the Championship. The important point is that he and his management team are learning from their mistakes, and the quality of the present squad shows a steady improvement. (although results might harm this argument!)

The second issue that some fans have complained about is the rapid turnover of managers/coaches. I personally supported all the changes except not giving Jose Riga a chance at the start of last season after his performance in the relegation battle. I supported the sacking of Guy Luzon because towards the end of his tenure he was playing players in unfamiliar positions and his rigid adherence to 4-4-2 left us undermanned in midfield. He seemed to lack tactical understanding that would have enabled us to scrape some points during our injury crisis.

The third issue is the CEO, Katrien Meire, she appears to have upset a great deal of people and has been accused of lying to fans, incompetent management of the club’s staff and mismanaging several issues such as the season ticket sales and the reorganisation of the lounges. I really don’t have enough insite or knowledge into what is going on inside the club, day to day to have a firm view on whether she has been beneficial to the development of CAFC. At the moment I’m on the fence, but I am willing at this stage to give her the benefit of the doubt until the end of this season. Changing CEO’s mid season may cause more problems than it solves.

Onto the protests, I have been disappointed at the crude sledging of RD and KM on here. What has it got to do with whether they come from Belgium or that KM is a woman? You are either successful at running a football club or not. The xenophobic and misogynistic rants that have appeared on Charlton Life are unacceptable. If you want to campaign for a change use arguments containing factual information not swearing rants, and empty talk. It concerns me that CL gets hijacked by some people for their own agenda, a bit like Militant infiltrating the Labour Party in the ‘80’s. Perhaps we have some UKIP/BNP/EDL members spouting their abhorrent rhetoric on here.

So, as a member of the 98% silent majority what am I going to do next?
    1. I will not support the protest outside the West Stand against Ipswich.
    2. I will not be supporting the Black and White campaign.
    3. I will get behind the team fully during this relegation battle, I really don’t want to be in Div 1 next season.
    4. I will continue to monitor the decision making prowess of our owners/CEO to try and get a balanced view as to their progress and intentions of CAFC.

What should the 2% vocal majority do? Well that is a thing that I should leave up to you. I fully support your right to protest, and make your complaints heard. What I’m not picking up is what you want to change other than wanting Duchatelet and Meire to leave the club with immediate effect.

My own opinion is while the club is in this difficult relegation fight, that you postpone your protests at the Ipswich game, both inside and outside the ground. Communicate with the club that you were going to hold mass demonstrations, but in light of the on-field problems they are being held back until the New Year. If, in your views, that the club have not shown a willingness to address the issues raised in the Fans Forum, start up your protests after Christmas.

My emotions for the club haven’t changed over the past 50 years, if anything, since I have retired and can spend more time following CAFC, they have strengthened. I am continually surprised on reading CL how many fans comment on, “ I want my Charlton back” and “ I’ve fallen out of love with my team”. Well the club is still here and it needs all the support it can get at the present moment.

So, finally, AM I THE ONLY ONE?

good post - i was up for protest - i have now protested and since then we have won well and signed a new striker - i am happy to support again - if we start hurtling towards league 1 again and don't continue to add proven quality to the squad, i will be back in protest mode again. I like the objectives and don't doubt them - i was protesting to change their methods, not their aims. Others, i'm not sure about - some r narked at being held at arms length, some are a bit dim and get whipped up in hysteria but the vast majority r just scared of league 1 again - im well in that vast majority - keep repeating the same mistakes and skirting with league 1 and i will be for all out change - this is their last chance to show they have learnt what is needed and i will support them to do that.
  • Options
    Well said Altrinchamaddick. You are certainly not alone in your views.
  • Options

As the rain pours down in Manchester, I thought I would try to get my views on the current crisis across, as I am one of the 98% silent majority.

I have been following Charlton since 1965 and after retiring I have been a season ticket holder and a Valley Gold member. I have been to every home and away fixture this season ( bar MK Dons).

1. Creating a team that is competitive in the Championship with Premiere League ambitions.
    3. Improve the training facilities and Academy setup at Sparrows Lane, in order to provide our own players of the future.

I am pretty sure that most fans would support these objectives, so the arguments are around how they are to be achieved and how fast they happen.

Having been through the traumatic times of Hulyer and Fryer and the gradual decline of The Valley under Jimenez and Slater I want to see a steady evolution of the club, with a realistic budget that does not put the club in financial jeopardy in the future.

Duchatelet has certainly not got everything right. Player recruitment has obviously been a concern, especially last season and to a lesser extent this, with some signings not up to the standard or especially the rigour of the Championship. The important point is that he and his management team are learning from their mistakes, and the quality of the present squad shows a steady improvement. (although results might harm this argument!)

The second issue that some fans have complained about is the rapid turnover of managers/coaches. I personally supported all the changes except not giving Jose Riga a chance at the start of last season after his performance in the relegation battle. I supported the sacking of Guy Luzon because towards the end of his tenure he was playing players in unfamiliar positions and his rigid adherence to 4-4-2 left us undermanned in midfield. He seemed to lack tactical understanding that would have enabled us to scrape some points during our injury crisis.

The third issue is the CEO, Katrien Meire, she appears to have upset a great deal of people and has been accused of lying to fans, incompetent management of the club’s staff and mismanaging several issues such as the season ticket sales and the reorganisation of the lounges. I really don’t have enough insite or knowledge into what is going on inside the club, day to day to have a firm view on whether she has been beneficial to the development of CAFC. At the moment I’m on the fence, but I am willing at this stage to give her the benefit of the doubt until the end of this season. Changing CEO’s mid season may cause more problems than it solves.

Onto the protests, I have been disappointed at the crude sledging of RD and KM on here. What has it got to do with whether they come from Belgium or that KM is a woman? You are either successful at running a football club or not. The xenophobic and misogynistic rants that have appeared on Charlton Life are unacceptable. If you want to campaign for a change use arguments containing factual information not swearing rants, and empty talk. It concerns me that CL gets hijacked by some people for their own agenda, a bit like Militant infiltrating the Labour Party in the ‘80’s. Perhaps we have some UKIP/BNP/EDL members spouting their abhorrent rhetoric on here.

3. I will get behind the team fully during this relegation battle, I really don’t want to be in Div 1 next season.
    4. I will continue to monitor the decision making prowess of our owners/CEO to try and get a balanced view as to their progress and intentions of CAFC.

What should the 2% vocal majority do? Well that is a thing that I should leave up to you. I fully support your right to protest, and make your complaints heard. What I’m not picking up is what you want to change other than wanting Duchatelet and Meire to leave the club with immediate effect.

My own opinion is while the club is in this difficult relegation fight, that you postpone your protests at the Ipswich game, both inside and outside the ground. Communicate with the club that you were going to hold mass demonstrations, but in light of the on-field problems they are being held back until the New Year. If, in your views, that the club have not shown a willingness to address the issues raised in the Fans Forum, start up your protests after Christmas.

My emotions for the club haven’t changed over the past 50 years, if anything, since I have retired and can spend more time following CAFC, they have strengthened. I am continually surprised on reading CL how many fans comment on, “ I want my Charlton back” and “ I’ve fallen out of love with my team”. Well the club is still here and it needs all the support it can get at the present moment.

Agree. You are definitely not alone in your view.
    Good post.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

No...
  • Options
    It's a very well written article, AA, with some good points, some of which are hard to argue against. However, it hasn't changed my views much, but it has succeeded in sharpening my opinions. There is an air of incompetence about the place. Running a football club is, I am sure, not an easy matter, but we seem to have an owner who is at best erratic, a CEO with no experience in football, a manager who seems to be inexperienced at this level and a squad that isn't strong enough for the rigours of the Championship. That doesn't seem a recipe for success to me. Further, the £9m spent on the squad is irrelevant if it is not well spent. No club makes every signing a success, but we seem to have more than our fair share of duds over the last couple of years.

After the semi fact-based points, there are the emotional matters. A football club matters to a lot of people. No, it's not on the level of atrocities in Paris or ones family, but it's still an important part of a lot of people's lives. There is a general feeling of discontent, frustration, even hate about the place. This is not good. Yes, a small part of that is the modern trend of everyone wanting everything now (we happily settled for mediocrity at The Valley years ago), but there is a feeling that something is not right. Decent club men have been shipped out and replaced by almost random signings who seemingly care little about Charlton. It might be the way of the world now. It might be the fact that Charlton are slipping down the pecking order and are really a League One side now, but it sure doesn't feel right.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

good post - i was up for protest - i have now protested and since then we have won well and signed a new striker - i am happy to support again - if we start hurtling towards league 1 again and don't continue to add proven quality to the squad, i will be back in protest mode again. I like the objectives and don't doubt them - i was protesting to change their methods, not their aims. Others, i'm not sure about - some r narked at being held at arms length, some are a bit dim and get whipped up in hysteria but the vast majority r just scared of league 1 again - im well in that vast majority - keep repeating the same mistakes and skirting with league 1 and i will be for all out change - this is their last chance to show they have learnt what is needed and i will support them to do that.
    I wish my wife was as easily pleased as you !
  • Options

Having gone back and read throught the aims of the black and white protest I could support this. I initially thought when writing my post that it was more of the same, demanding Roland out. The communication with the fans has been poor, and I think that Katrien recognised this during the fans forum. Time will tell if the situation improves.
    I'm sure you believe KM when she says she will do something about the poor communications but aren't you wondering when that might be ?. She has come out with this a number of times over the last 2 years and done precisely nothing.
  • Options

Gumbo said:

Gumbo said:

Is there a mention of by how much? I meant cutting cost in the amount of players that left the club
    Meire claimed at the meeting that they are spending 40 per cent more on the playing side (wages not fees) than in 2013/14 when they took over - unfortunately some of it is being spent on players not able to play for us because they are not good enough.
    I heard that but surely they are up because the players they have signed are on long term deals or renewed contract (which is a good thing)
  • Options
    redman said:

It may be true that 98% do agree with the 3 "aims" you state. The trouble is that most of us do not believe the strategy being put in place to achieve those aims will work. It clearly isn't so far as by every objective measure it is failing.
    Success on the field - in the relegation zone
    Attendances - falling
    Relationship with fans - abysmal
    improving the valley - mixed - on the plus side new seats, lick of point offset by cheerleaders, sofa and house music in crossbars.
    young players - this fails if we don't get good value for the ones sold, such as Poyet and Gomez

Our CEO has been in the job for nearly 2 years and is clearly failing. I do NOT say that because she is a women. Karen Brady has done an excellent job for West Ham.

However the biggest problem is that we are continually lied to or not spoken to. Any form of communication to date has at best been ignored. It would be nice to think we are going to see an about turn on this, but I am very doubtful.

The last 2 paras are spot on. In fact, I've asked the OP more than once to show where anyone says it's because she's a woman to no avail. Be careful though, you may be accused of supporting UKIP or the far right!
    As you say, it's about ability. Or lack of it.
  • Options
    If you really believe the whole 2% minority thing then I'm surprised you managed to formulate an opinion at all.
  • Options
    Gumbo said:

Gumbo said:

Gumbo said:

Meire claimed at the meeting that they are spending 40 per cent more on the playing side (wages not fees) than in 2013/14 when they took over - unfortunately some of it is being spent on players not able to play for us because they are not good enough.
    I heard that but surely they are up because the players they have signed are on long term deals or renewed contract (which is a good thing)
    I don't think so - I would think it is an annualised figure. Indeed part of the problem is that they gave long term contracts to players who are no use, and others - Morrison, Wiggins - who they then decided they did not want.

If you mean the annual cost is higher because of the renewal/length I'm not sure that would be true either.

• Options
    RD had his 69th birthday celebration by opening a pub next to the St-Truiden (STVV) football stadion. He also lives nearby. Please note this a newspaper citing, but the article states that he's now over the Standard Liège debacle and almost done with anything related football. He said: I'm gonna play some more card games and (something you find in pubs - see attached photo, 'cause no idea how you guys called it English).
    http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/1325/Standard/article/detail/2524759/2015/11/15/Duchatelet-naast-miljardair-nu-ook-cafebaas.dhtml