Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Sheff Wed | Sat 07 Mov | 3pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Sheffield Wednesday
Saturday 07 November 2015 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Gavin Ward (Surrey)

Introduction

Two weeks ago; Charlton played two matches at the Valley in quick succession… Defeats against Preston and Brentford (both 3-0) saw Guy Luzon leave the club and Interim Boss; Karel Fraeye was brought in to steady the ship… Since that Brentford game, the Addicks have been on their travels, last Saturday saw them travel to the North East and high flying Middlesbrough, the result 0-3… then as Charlton travelled home they decided to stop off in Buckinghamshire and sample the delights on Milton Keynes, a football match against a side also struggling for form happened on the side and the result, yet another defeat… 0-1.

The whole point about this introduction is the fact that since Karel Fraeye has taken temporary charge, he has yet to return to the Valley since that memorable win against Watford almost a year and a half ago… Once again there is an International Break crawling towards us and come Sunday, I’m sure many Charlton fans are looking forward to the break from League action, the storm clouds are gathering, the fans are marching on the Valley to protest… A win against Sheffield Wednesday isn’t too much to ask?

The Opposition
Name: Sheffield Wednesday | Manager: Carlos Carvalhal
Ground: Hillsborough | Nickname: The Owls / The Massives

When you think of crunch matches you think of the big derbies; Manchester United v Manchester City, Arsenal v Tottenham etc… At times though there are matches between sides that have nothing to do with geography; Swindon v Gillingham perhaps… Another such match could be; Charlton v Sheffield Wednesday, not many know why this is the case, maybe because our Yorkshire opponents bare a grudge that we held the title of League One Champions, or possibly the fact that they felt nothing would stand in their way of a Sheffield Derby in the FA Cup other than the train times…

Sadly though for the Massives, they forgot about having to beat Charlton first before that lucrative tie… Its one of the strangest ties to look out for when the fixture list is announced yet it is here and it is now… Sheffield Wednesday may be in a good run of form, Charlton may be in the complete opposite sort of form, but for some reason, Charlton seem to enjoy this fixture having lost only once in the last six fixtures between the sides… Suitable revenge for the relegation they handed us with 16-years ago.

Last Meeting @ the Valley: Charlton Athletic 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday
Charlton Wins: 19 | Draws: 15 | Sheffield Wednesday Wins: 20

Charlton Team News
Players have continued to return from injury and continue to regain fitness, hopefully having huge impact on our form and the rest of the season to come, sadly though it appears players are still getting injured and having limped off against Milton Keynes Dons; Johann Gudmundsson will surely be a doubt this Saturday, as too may Jordan Cousins, substituted early in the second half, he could miss his first League start in some time, maybe showing those why he is such an important member of the side.

On Tuesday night though, the Addicks finally won a match, albeit against Cray Wanderers in the Kent Senior Cup… In Gillingham style, a strong Addicks side turned out with Naby Sarr, Moussa, Bergdich and Charles-Cook all making appearances, should there be injuries, expect any one of these players to make the step up.

Henderson
Solly … Bauer … Diarra … Fox
Ba … Jackson … Moussa
Watt … Makienok … Ghoochanniejad

Substitutes Bench: Pope … Holmes-Dennis … Sarr … McAleny … Bergdich … Lookman … Ahearne-Grant

Prediction
Form whether it is good or bad has to end sometime… Charlton Athletic 2-1 Sheffield Wednesday

Comments

• 1-0 Charlton Jackson free kick, only joking think we will lose but can dream cant we was a great away day at hillsboro
  • 0-3 The only productive outcome will be the protest, and just how clear the hostility is toward RD's reign. KM will have a torrid afternoon (I'm not condoning abuse here). But I do want her to feel the full force of how bad it has become
  • edited November 2015

After a run of 2 points from 33 we have absolutely nothing to lose by making a bold change. The midfield is being overrun in every game, so move Diarra back into the midfield and play Sarr.

Why not...

Henderson
    Solly ... Bauer ... Fox ... Holmes-Dennis
    Ghoochanniejad ... Jackson ... Diarra ... McAleny
    Makienok ... Watt

Means that we can keep Sarr on the bench and that we dont run the risk of losing all three Centre-Backs in one game
  • Easy away day for the massives.
  • When we go 2 or 3 down, I can see it turning real nasty. 0-4
  • We will smash em 4 or 5 i reckon.

(I know i come on here spouting bollox all the time... but perlease, i am proud of this one!)
  • Another home defeat,by how many God knows :neutral:
  • After a run of 2 points from 33 we have absolutely nothing to lose by making a bold change. The midfield is being overrun in every game, so move Diarra back into the midfield and play Sarr.

Why not...

Henderson
    Makienok ... Watt

Means that we can keep Sarr on the bench and that we dont run the risk of losing all three Centre-Backs in one game
    That midfield is scandalous! Jackson and Diarra in a 4 is not going to work!

If they are our best options then might as well give them the 3 points now and tell everyone to take a day off on Saturday!
  • Sponsored links:

• Admirable loyalty with a 2-1 prediction, but does anyone, even the mad Belgians, actually think we can win this?
  • For me,

Henderson

Solly Bauer Sarr Bergdich

Diarra Jackson

McAleny Watt Moussa

Makienok

Would play JBG in the Watt position if fit.
  • The whole point about this introduction is the fact that since Karel Fraeye has taken temporary charge, he has yet to return to the Valley since that memorable win against Watford almost a year and a half ago…

Have I missed something ... at the time of the Watford win how many people in the ground knew who Fraeye was ... and yet, as KM tried to claim, he appears to have played a far more pivotal role in us staying up in 2013-14 than we ever realised
  • I fear a loss, 3200 south yorkshite men going bananas, CAFC fans in loud protests and pandemonium at the club. KF sacked on Sunday and someone else never heard of coming in.....oh match thread will still be here from about 2 pm, if anyone is interested that is. 0-2
  • After a run of 2 points from 33 we have absolutely nothing to lose by making a bold change. The midfield is being overrun in every game, so move Diarra back into the midfield and play Sarr.

Why not...

Henderson
    Makienok ... Watt

Not sure you could trust Fox at CB. He may end up playing there one day, but it would be asking a lot at this stage. Sarr can do a job there with Bauer beside him.
  • edited November 2015
    Charlton 0-4 Sheffield Wednesday

First time in a long time that we've had a worse team than Wednesday
  • I'd have no issue moving Diarra into CM, but him and Bauer are easily a huge cut above any other options there (Fox is always caught out of position at LB so i dread to think what would happen at CB)
    We have to pack the midfield though, have been over run far too often recently, stick 3 in the centre and TRY to atleast keep some possession.
  • We will be stuffed. We'll concede 3 minimum.

I'd move Diarra back into midfield with JJ and hope for the best.
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:

For me,

Henderson

Solly Bauer Sarr Bergdich

Diarra Jackson

McAlenyReza Watt Moussa

Makienok

Would play JBG in the Watt position if fit.

Amended! Though I suppose it'll be KAG again
  • I don't want to repeat Tuesdays negative forecast of 0-3, so how about 0-5 this time. Sadly I can't see where a comeback is going to come from unless someone kidnaps Roland and forces him to appoint a proper British manager. The man is singlehandedly killing our Club.
  • Sheffield Wednesday have won 20 against us, we have won 19, so time to even it out ...Not.

Heavy defeat four nil ... I have never been this negative with a Charlton score, what a mess.
  • Have we ever gone into a home game against comparable opposition (i.e. not Arsenal with Henry or Fergie's Man U) with such little expectation of getting a result?

In a way I almost hope we get stuffed as that will bring matters to a head, and not even KM and RD would be able to give Fraeye the job after 3 dismal defeats.
  • Lets try 3 at back
    In Bauer Diarra and Sarr
    Wing backs Doyley and bergdich
    Midfield who's left jacko ba leaves
    Watt Big Mac and rezza up front
    Still lose but we might score on
  • We won't score, they will...............0.3
  • The injury to Cousins will force The Smirking Poirot to put Diarra in midfield, something I've wanted for a couple of weeks.

Unfortunately the lack of a right or left sided midfielder will still hamper us. As will our inability to pass the ball to each other. Biggest issue will be lack of smiles.

Another tonking and the most toxic the Valley has been since Pardew fell on his sword.

0-4
  • edited November 2015
    Not a hope in hell of us getting a result I feel.

I'd go for:

------------------ Henderson ----------------
    --------- Bauer -------------- Saar ---------
    Solly ----------------------------- Bergdich
    -------------------- Diarra --------------------
    ------------ Ba --------------- Jackson ------
    Reza -------------------------------- Moussa
    ------------------- Makienok -----------------

We will score, that's something I can say, surely even we can't go 6 games without a goal?!

It's crazy to think in that team we have Henderson, Reza, Jackson, Moussa and Makienok all only recently back from injury or not match fit.

Plus Igor, Kashi, Cousins, Gudmundsson, and Ceballos all out injured, not to mention Watt looking totally unfit.

Taking that into consideration, plus the rest are basically youngsters, it only really leaves Solly with any proper English experience of a minimum of 3 years, who should be match fit, and he has got dodgy knees!

We really are a joke.
    Easy game for Sheffield Wednesday.

4-1 loss. Makienok with the goal.

Saturday I fear would be the worst I've seen at The Valley in my lifetime. Really don't enjoy going anymore but the love for my club, not the club it is right now, is too strong.
  • Sheffield Wednesday would do a bloody good job to get between the lines of that!