Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Plans to turn the Club shop into flats?

Comments

• Swisdom said:

Don't bite my head of everyone - I love the Valley. I know it's our home and everything......

But is moving to a new all seater stadium that might just be slightly easier to get to and from really the end of the world?

Yes!
  • great place for a flat, lots of nice views from the windows...let him do it, they won't sell, it'll be another loss for the master of disaster...
  • Hello everyone. Welcome to your new accommodation in SE7.
  • Makes no sense building flats there would make more sense commercially to build them as an addition to the terraced houses in Valley Gardens

Weird thing tho my btother in law is a tipper driver and on Saturday he was telling me he has been picking up at the training ground. Do I said yes doing a lot of refurb works . However he is sure his firm were told its flats as well ?
  • Fumbluff said:

great place for a flat, lots of nice views from the windows...let him do it, they won't sell, it'll be another loss for the master of disaster...

Flats just about anywhere in London will sell. Lots of parking, close to train station, Blackheath Borders. £500k
  • edited November 2015

Makes no sense building flats there would make more sense commercially to build them as an addition to the terraced houses in Valley Gardens

Weird thing tho my btother in law is a tipper driver and on Saturday he was telling me he has been picking up at the training ground. Do I said yes doing a lot of refurb works . However he is sure his firm were told its flats as well ?

Doesn't the new facility also include an accommodation block? Chinese whispers and all that!!
  • edited November 2015

I live in Charlton ward, and have just dropped one of the ward councillors a line to see what he knows.

Greenwich Council is as dysfunctional as CAFC and ward councillors - even cabinet members - are often the last to know about major plans, so I'm not expecting much. I'll slap in an FOI request, which should at least confirm or deny the existence of any application.

good man. Do it on WhatDoTheyKnow, so we can all follow their response

and @ken from bexley they must reply within 20 working days. That's why it is better to use WDTK. If they are late, the whole world can see it. And you have the evidence at hand if you need an internal review, or, heaven forbid, to take it to the ICO.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fumbluff said:

great place for a flat, lots of nice views from the windows...let him do it, they won't sell, it'll be another loss for the master of disaster...

Flats just about anywhere in London will sell. Lots of parking, close to train station, Blackheath Borders. £500k

If you had 500k to spend on a flat, would you really choose to live in Floyd Road?
    Allocated, gated, secure (apart from when there's a supporters' riot being organised) parking. In fact, soon they'd be able to sell on as many parking spaces as you like! KM will probably be taking up a new role as concierge?
  • edited November 2015
    Make no mistake. The Morden Wharf site is one of the best locations on the Greenwich Penisula. It fronts the river and is bang in the heart of London.

Can anyone explain to me why this plum site has not already been bought up. High rise is no problem in that location and the flats would be worth a fortune and you could build a lot of them.

This has troubled me for a while. RD is not a football man. He hasn't shown any signs of becoming one or want Charlton to be a Presteige investment. It's seems like he is doing the bare minimum in keeping us ticking over. Biding his time but ensuring the training ground is fit to have as a base if the stadium is only for match days.

Until the possibility of a move to the peninsula is ruled out because the land is gone I think it's an investment possibility.

Odd that KM has chosen this moment to engage with fan groups ?

Until I hear that it won't happen I will continue to think it's a real possibility.
  • Fumbluff said:

Maybe, just maybe he will not sell the flats but use them store head coaches? one for the outgoing coach, one for current coach, one for the incoming coach and obviously one for Roland himself for when we play at home. :wink:
    This is what I was thinking. Years ago didn't the club own two houses just up the road from where the club shop is currently located? Having club accommodation on site could save fortune on hotel bills in the long run.
  • Tell me why this site is still un developed.

Plans are afoot. Google Cathedral group.

Because of kids hanging around on the corner?
  • It's been bought up for development for a few years now.

http://www.cathedralgroup.com/current-projects/morden-wharf/

"The Peninsula West Masterplan outlines the Council’s intention to transform the Peninsula into London’s premier entertainment zone by focusing development and regeneration around multi-purpose sports, entertainment and educational facilities that enhance with the offer at the O2 Arena and seamlessly and sustainably link historic Greenwich with the masterplanned zone. Morden Wharf is a world-class site and one of the very few significant London river fronts left for major regeneration."

• It's been bought up for development for a few years now.

http://www.cathedralgroup.com/current-projects/morden-wharf/

"The Peninsula West Masterplan outlines the Council’s intention to transform the Peninsula into London’s premier entertainment zone by focusing development and regeneration around multi-purpose sports, entertainment and educational facilities that enhance with the offer at the O2 Arena and seamlessly and sustainably link historic Greenwich with the masterplanned zone. Morden Wharf is a world-class site and one of the very few significant London river fronts left for major regeneration."

That quote affords me no comfort

• Sponsored links:

• @ShootersHillGuru

The morden wharf site was acquired by local develop Cathedral Group back in 2012. They employed a big architect in 2013 to make plans, though it has surprisingly gone quiet on that. It was flagg at the time as being a mixed use site. 'The Peninsula West Masterplan outlines the Council’s intention to transform the Peninsula into London’s premier entertainment zone by focusing development and regeneration around multi-purpose sports, entertainment and educational facilities that enhance with the offer at the O2 Arena and seamlessly and sustainably link historic Greenwich with the masterplanned zone. Morden Wharf is a world-class site and one of the very few significant London river fronts left for major regeneration' is on their website.

|Cathedral were acquired last year by Development Securities, and are soon to launch a new name U+I Group
  • I like you ShootersHill have thought that redevelopment is high on RD's agenda for a while with no way of substantiating that feeling. Of course it has been said that conspiracy theories are a way for stupid people to sound clever (not my quote) but developments with the playing and coaching staff would indicate that the attention and focus isn't on results on the pitch and that is borne out by what is going on at the other network clubs.

whilst turning the area occupied by the club shop into flats actually makes no sense to me who the hell would buy them? unless? it is something like a housing association, developing the whole site would, with a mix of low cost, high end properties.

who knows but there is something very smelly going on
  • This sounds like the club trying to distract the supporters from the real issues. No doubt after Katrien meets the supporters in that meeting she will announce that due to supporters concerns the shop will be kept open, with all the fanfare of listening to supporters.
  • Make no mistake. The Morden Wharf site is one of the best locations on the Greenwich Penisula. It fronts the river and is bang in the heart of London.

Can anyone explain to me why this plum site has not already been bought up. High rise is no problem in that location and the flats would be worth a fortune and you could build a lot of them.

This has troubled me for a while. RD is not a football man. He hasn't shown any signs of becoming one or want Charlton to be a Presteige investment. It's seems like he is doing the bare minimum in keeping us ticking over. Biding his time but ensuring the training ground is fit to have as a base if the stadium is only for match days.

Until the possibility of a move to the peninsula is ruled out because the land is gone I think it's an investment possibility.

Odd that KM has chosen this moment to engage with fan groups ?

Until I hear that it won't happen I will continue to think it's a real possibility.

So the last thing you'd want to do is stick a football club in the area. I'm sure the flat owners would be most impressed when we play Millwall, and half the streets are shut off by the Police
  • the shop as it stands is too small and a very poor design, as long as we are retaining a shop at the ground a bigger one would be much better

That is not the point of the upset.

What else are the Belgians looking to do?
  • edited November 2015
    Where the actual building for the club shop is, is actually a little awkward, particularly since the north stand and the quads were built. Every team bus struggles to maneurver ina tight space. So if the club shop building comes down you don't want to build a new building and have the same problem for coaches. I think you need reconfigure that area. For examle I heard the dressing room sizes are no long Premier League standard. Not that we may need the Premier League very soon. But if we then reconfigured non baring walls inside the building of the West Stand and then looked at maybe extending the building of the North West Stand out to where maybe it comes out to a quarter of the exiting shop building is now leaving a much bigger space for coaches to move. We may even be able to incorperate a shop there. But I am not an architect. I am just letting my imagination run riot.

Probably would need to draw out a non architect's diagram.
  • Never a dull moment down in SE7 these days.
  • Once you get permission for a few flats then the floodgates open.
    Roland dipping his toe in.