Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v. Brentford post match views 2015/16

12346»

Comments

• He didn't fail in Denmark. That is just categorically untrue.

Agreed. 57 goals in 132 appearances isn't my idea of failure either.

Makienok scored in Denmark - that's about the level of our Conference South As he himself has discovered. Hence all the praying on his knees in the centre circle when his team-mates at least have the humility to troop off collectively.

Apart from all the misplaced knock-downs, you missed Makienok's hearty swivel and shoot yesterday. It was in the first half - ten yards out, and ten yards over the bar.

It's cracking stuff. Even Joe Piggott is laughing.

@Viewfinder - what exactly do you base your knowledge of Danish football on because I don't think I've read such bollocks on CL for a long time.

At worse the Danish Superliga is Div 1. Technically Danish teams are actually ahead of many English League teams. In fact the top 3 or 4 teams could easily compete in the Championship and an on form FC Copenhagen or (current Champions) FC Midtjylland might even be able to hack it as a lower Prem side. It wasn't that long ago FC Midtjylland knocked Southampton out of Europe.

And before you start getting smart with me. I know this because I ACTUALLY live in Denmark and have done so for the past 8 years!

Daniel Agger for Brondby was the best defender I've seen live this season.
  • edited October 2015

Denmark is like the Conference South

Our moves forward are made in a sort of fearful exploration. What would happen if we probed: something alien or nasty might be there. Yesterday, with an attacking throw-in, all our players were frozen. Then three of them rushed the man with the ball over his head, poised.

Hang on! - Who has made space: Reza, Makienok, or a midfielder rushing away? None of them. Solly stands on the touch-line and throws the ball to the nearest player - and gets it slammed back.

All of our play is a kind of expensive busking: We make it up as we go along. Something might happen - a ricochet, a deflection, or a break to take on water.

Watch our opponents, how good they are. They don't box themselves in to corners, as we do on the half-way line. They play with fluency and instinct, they control the ball, and send carefully weighted passes from here to there. This is skill, intelligence, and talent. Every single team in the Championship has it. Not us.

Our 'strikers' would learn a lot from watching videos of our Paul Williams: his quality of observing, lurking, anticipating - and then the sudden explosion of acceleration over ten yards to seize the ball, and score.

Makienok is not a folk-hero: he failed in Denmark, was off-loaded to Sicily and failed there too. Ba and Cellebos each played one senior game in two years, yet are somehow good enough for Charlton. It depends what you want: a shuffling, hapless little team dodging relegation from one year to the next, or...

Norwich went straight up from the Third, and so did Southampton. Five years ago Bournemouth were a mere annexe to a zimmer-framed golf-course. We are in the best city on earth, have a great stadium, a fantastic history, and healthy support.

For an extra couple of grand a week, Duchatelet dismissed Yann Kermorgant and bought Igor Vetokele for £2.3 million.

Yeah!

He didn't fail in Denmark. That is just categorically untrue.
    Makienok scored in Denmark - that's about the level of our Conference South. As he himself has discovered. Hence all the praying on his knees in the centre circle when his team-mates at least have the humility to troop off collectively.

Apart from all the misplaced knock-downs, you missed Makienok's hearty swivel and shoot yesterday. It was in the first half - ten yards out, and ten yards over the bar.

You're right, it's not the best league in the world (not the worst either), but still, those figures are not failure. I'm not Maks biggest fan by the way, he still has a lot to prove in the Championship IMO.
  • And Vetokele done well in Denmark and he's , well he's really really erm well fed up atm
  • What this week showed is that the squad in to thin, there was no one on the bench you would feel could change a game. An example of the thin squad is that Solly would have been rested last season this season we have no one who can do the job.
    The new manager will need at least 6 new players to bolster the squad.
    So we are screwed, as we will be cut adrift by January.
  • Duchatelet should bung Greenwich Council a couple of million to circumvent the planning regulations, demolish The Valley, and build lots of shiny new apartments. That way, he gets his paltry £14 million investment back, and retires to an asylum in Belgium.

The Council is keen to "regenerate" the Greenwich Peninsula - what better than with a new stadium severing all connections with the decades of our abject failings. We will have plenty of dosh left over to start anew: hire an experienced manager and good coaches, and buy talented players.

At last. The voice of sanity.
  • And Vetokele done well in Denmark and he's , well he's really really erm well fed up atm

But he could be smiling ( and playing) again when Saturday comes.....

• He didn't fail in Denmark. That is just categorically untrue.

Makienok scored in Denmark - that's about the level of our Conference South As he himself has discovered. Hence all the praying on his knees in the centre circle when his team-mates at least have the humility to troop off collectively.

@Viewfinder - what exactly do you base your knowledge of Danish football on because I don't think I've read such bollocks on CL for a long time.

At worse the Danish Superliga is Div 1. Technically Danish teams are actually ahead of many English League teams. In fact the top 3 or 4 teams could easily compete in the Championship and an on form FC Copenhagen or (current Champions) FC Midtjylland might even be able to hack it as a lower Prem side. It wasn't that long ago FC Midtjylland knocked Southampton out of Europe.

And before you start getting smart with me. I know this because I ACTUALLY live in Denmark and have done so for the past 8 years!

Yes exactly because that would also make Vetokele rubbish!