Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v. Brentford post match views 2015/16

Comments

• _nam11 said:

@Hovi's Biscuit I thought we were in a good place, the promise of the "plan"...at the time it sounded great.

But at this moment, it's not working, the plan is falling on its knees. I pray it works, I really do, but we are Leeds v2 as stands. Please prove me wrong CAFC

What is the plan ?
  • Davo55 said:

Today I made my way to Charlton and parked in the familiar streets of my childhood. Walking to the ground, I noted the fallen autumn leaves clinging to the damp, grimy and uneven pavements; the dirty and cracked masonry of the ageing houses; the dark, huddled groups of fans drifting towards the Valley; the rancid smell of ancient burger grease; the children, the poor children being inducted into football's hall of shame.

I felt that familiar flicker of hope. Yet somehow I also knew that, yet again, a couple of hours later I would be asking myself "why do I bother", echoing the words of my dad on so many saturdays over the years. Back then, with the simplistic attitudes of youth, I saw those words as a minor betrayal of the club we both loved. Now, I realise they were spoken with the same resigned, unreasoning, affection that I feel for this shabby basket-case of a club.

In a way, the result didn't matter today. I feel resigned to life under Roland and Katrien. If we go down, we go down - and at least that might make them go. Please God.

Today felt more than usual like coming home. Shit all-round, yet just what I have become used to.

Spot on and very eloquent Davo55
  • edited October 2015
    Our players don't need "confidence", or motivation, nor inspiration - as many of you Lifers insist. They need sacking.

Two examples from yesterday, typical from the season: Our attacking cross goes flying miles over the box: Solly and another run to retrieve it on the touch-line. There is almost a collision, and by the time they decide what to do, the Brentford defender is away, free. Two-nil.

Look again at this. Later in the second half, Makienok doesn't have the wit to run ten yards to block a defender making a lazy pass. Watt rushes in - then Makienok tries to catch up. They almost collide - but the keeper collects, and clears. Three-nil.

Hales, Flanagan and Walsh are looking at our performances this season and thinking: What a bunch of utter pansies.

• Didn't make it today as had tickets for the all blacks South Africa semi final. Internet non existent at twickenham so couldn't follow the game much to my boys disappointment during the game. Two 0-3 defeats at home to bottom table sides isn't acceptable no matter what the injury list. I liked Luzon but he has always seemed to have current favourites and current players he won't play. Losing Bikey because he and Luzon did not get on has cost us a fortune. If we are going to play Fox, he needs to get on properly with Watt. The manager should help this to happen. We need a team builder, I think the individual quality is there but we need a Charlton team. Simple:

Great user name, but shouldn't it be "AlwaysNil" ?
  • The owner has taken decisive action .. let's hope his next decisions are as decisive AND more successful than his recent managerial appointments
  • Our players don't need "confidence", or motivation, nor inspiration - as many of you Lifers insist. They need sacking.

Two examples from yesterday, typical from the season: Our attacking cross goes flying miles over the box: Solly and another run to retrieve it on the touch-line. There is almost a collision, and by the time they decide what to do, the Brentford defender is away, free. Two-nil.

Look again at this. Later in the second half, Makienok doesn't have the wit to run ten yards to block a defender making a lazy pass. Watt rushes in - then Makienok tries to catch up. They almost collide - but the keeper collects, and clears. Three-nil.

Hales, Flanagan and Walsh are looking at our performances this season and thinking: What a bunch of utter pansies.

Thank you Mr Hansen
  • se9addick said:

It was the best 3-0 loss this week !

The good news is we were only poor for 75 minutes unlike the
    Preston game when we were poor for 90 minutes.

The bad news is that was the the strongest team we could have started with as
    Diarra was suspended and Sarr who was suppose to be the week link was the best player for CAFC over the 90 minutes.
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

It was the best 3-0 loss this week !

The good news is we were only poor for 75 minutes unlike the
    Preston game when we were poor for 90 minutes.

The bad news is that was the the strongest team we could have started with as
    Diarra was suspended and Sarr who was suppose to be the week link was the best player for CAFC over the 90 minutes.
    Yeah in fairness I slaughtered Sarr on Tuesday but he was pretty good yesterday, had to do a lot of cleaning up for Fox whose performances recently have been dreadful.

I actually didn't think it was a terrible performance compared to Tuesday but we didn't look like scoring if we'd played for five hours.
  • I think one of the reasons that Solly and Fox looked so poor because of the deficiencies in the left and right midfield positions, left them exposed an also there was no counter threat or pace in those positions allowing the Brentford full backs to push up alongside their dominant midfield.
  • vffvff
    edited October 2015
    Simonsen said:

The initial period saw Brentford struggle with our pressing tactics. When Button had the ball, Mak & Watt pushed up on their defenders and Jackson pushed on to Diacouraga who drops deep. Button fluffed a couple of kicks and we robbed possession in a good place but missed our chances.

Then Bees worked out that Yennaris (the RB) was free and started using him. He used the ball well and Moussa who despite his miss had put a lot of effort in, started to struggle. Bit by bit, the injuries started to take their toll and Bees delivered a brilliant cross for their first goal. We needed a big game out of Cousins but he's in poor form and in a normal situation might have even been rested for the game...and coupled with Jackson's lack of fitness, we were in trouble.

Some people have suggested we should have gone 4-5-1....but at 1-0 down that would have been booed as well! It would probably also mean Ba coming in or THD pushing Moussa inside...but either way we'd lose Mak or Watt. Guy tried to get all of his best players on from the start and to get in front but sadly, we missed big chances to do just that. Anyone who read the Physio's report knew that we would be struggling later in the game. Mak played longer than he should have, Jackson isn't ready for 90 mins, Moussa has been out for about a year, Henderson isn't ready and Reza has been out for two months.

Squad depth/quality is for another thread. Once we missed those early chances yesterday we'd had it.

It's no consolation to most people, especially Guy and the coaches who have lost their jobs, but providing we didn't pick up any more injuries, at least those returning players have got minutes under their belt. That will help as we limp through to the January transfer window. Getting Kashi back would make a lot of difference. Jackson has been a brilliant player for Charlton but he never has dominated a game in midfield. But I've seen Kashi do it against QPR and to a lesser extent Hull and he's the man we're missing the most. I just hope that a) we do get him back and b) he's still the same player.

Finally, I'd like to wish Guy and his coaches all the best and to wish the new Management team better luck with injuries.

Great post. Charlton should have matched up with Brentford with bodies in Midfield. Variations of 4312 / 4231 would have been a better bet.

• At the start it appeared that Fox would not pass to Moussa. He then got to the point where he couldn't pass to anyone in a red shirt.

He has always let opponents get well clear of him when defending. Bauer and Diarra usually cover for him. Sarr did well but is very left footed.

Chris Solly has got very slow of late and the lack of a target up front means his long balls forward end up nowhere.

I said before the sackings that new coaches and new full backs are needed. Still holds true.
  • Thought we deserved to get on the score sheet. If it had 1-3 nobody would have begrudged us that 1 goal.
  • Thought we deserved to get on the score sheet. If it had 1-3 nobody would have begrudged us that 1 goal.

We didn't look like scoring in a month of Sunday's !
  • Our players don't need "confidence", or motivation, nor inspiration - as many of you Lifers insist. They need sacking.

Actually, no. They need motivation, inspiring and confidence.
  • edited October 2015
    It's half term and my daughter and grandchildren arrived on Friday for a long weekend.

I am a season ticket holder and attended on Tuesday but felt no desire whatsoever to spend 6 hours plus of my day yesterday travelling to and from Charlton when the opportunity was there to spend quality time with my grandchildren.

I did a similar thing prior to the Brentford game last season (travelled to see them that time) and was absolutely delighted to miss our 3-0 win then. Yesterday though, to anyone present on Tuesday, was all too predictable despite my hopes of repeating my exploitation of sod's law from last season.

• Sponsored links:

• Our moves forward are made in a sort of fearful exploration. What would happen if we probed: something alien or nasty might be there. Yesterday, with an attacking throw-in, all our players were frozen. Then three of them rushed the man with the ball over his head, poised.

Hang on! - Who has made space: Reza, Makienok, or a midfielder rushing away? None of them. Solly stands on the touch-line and throws the ball to the nearest player - and gets it slammed back.

All of our play is a kind of expensive busking: We make it up as we go along. Something might happen - a ricochet, a deflection, or a break to take on water.

Watch our opponents, how good they are. They don't box themselves in to corners, as we do on the half-way line. They play with fluency and instinct, they control the ball, and send carefully weighted passes from here to there. This is skill, intelligence, and talent. Every single team in the Championship has it. Not us.

Our 'strikers' would learn a lot from watching videos of our Paul Williams: his quality of observing, lurking, anticipating - and then the sudden explosion of acceleration over ten yards to seize the ball, and score.

Makienok is not a folk-hero: he failed in Denmark, was off-loaded to Sicily and failed there too. Ba and Cellebos each played one senior game in two years, yet are somehow good enough for Charlton. It depends what you want: a shuffling, hapless little team dodging relegation from one year to the next, or...

Norwich went straight up from the Third, and so did Southampton. Five years ago Bournemouth were a mere annexe to a zimmer-framed golf-course. We are in the best city on earth, have a great stadium, a fantastic history, and healthy support.

For an extra couple of grand a week, Duchatelet dismissed Yann Kermorgant and bought Igor Vetokele for £2.3 million.

Yeah!

He didn't fail in Denmark. That is just categorically untrue.
    Agreed. 57 goals in 132 appearances isn't my idea of failure either.
  • Our moves forward are made in a sort of fearful exploration. What would happen if we probed: something alien or nasty might be there. Yesterday, with an attacking throw-in, all our players were frozen. Then three of them rushed the man with the ball over his head, poised.

Hang on! - Who has made space: Reza, Makienok, or a midfielder rushing away? None of them. Solly stands on the touch-line and throws the ball to the nearest player - and gets it slammed back.

All of our play is a kind of expensive busking: We make it up as we go along. Something might happen - a ricochet, a deflection, or a break to take on water.

Watch our opponents, how good they are. They don't box themselves in to corners, as we do on the half-way line. They play with fluency and instinct, they control the ball, and send carefully weighted passes from here to there. This is skill, intelligence, and talent. Every single team in the Championship has it. Not us.

Our 'strikers' would learn a lot from watching videos of our Paul Williams: his quality of observing, lurking, anticipating - and then the sudden explosion of acceleration over ten yards to seize the ball, and score.

Makienok is not a folk-hero: he failed in Denmark, was off-loaded to Sicily and failed there too. Ba and Cellebos each played one senior game in two years, yet are somehow good enough for Charlton. It depends what you want: a shuffling, hapless little team dodging relegation from one year to the next, or...

Norwich went straight up from the Third, and so did Southampton. Five years ago Bournemouth were a mere annexe to a zimmer-framed golf-course. We are in the best city on earth, have a great stadium, a fantastic history, and healthy support.

For an extra couple of grand a week, Duchatelet dismissed Yann Kermorgant and bought Igor Vetokele for £2.3 million.

Yeah!

Quite right
  • Dazzler21 said:

No need for personal insults at KM we know she's in RD's pocket.

I'm not sure what we were playing for today.

Sarr and Bauer strangely were our best players yet we lost 3-0.

I thought we looked OK until the goal and then positioning went out the window.

Jackson tried to be everywhere which left gaps.

Makienok's not fit enough to do the chasing down that maybe KAG would have done well at.

The only good thing that can be said is the first two were great finishes and the last a lucky deflection I think?

One thing that was obvious Luzon can't lift the team and no matter who we replace him with they'll have the same issue.

Also why was SM booed off? That was pathetic.

He wasn't booed off. The decision to take him off was booed! As he left the pitch (after the booing) he was clapped (bizarre as that is!)
    Because he'll totally know the difference.
  • edited October 2015
    Denmark is like the Conference South

Our moves forward are made in a sort of fearful exploration. What would happen if we probed: something alien or nasty might be there. Yesterday, with an attacking throw-in, all our players were frozen. Then three of them rushed the man with the ball over his head, poised.

Yeah!

Makienok scored in Denmark - that's about the level of our Conference South. As he himself has discovered. Hence all the praying on his knees in the centre circle when his team-mates at least have the humility to troop off collectively.

Apart from all the misplaced knock-downs, you missed Makienok's hearty swivel and shoot yesterday. It was in the first half - ten yards out, and ten yards over the bar.

It's cracking stuff. Even Joe Piggott is laughing.

Yeah!

Ba and Ceballos have also made more than 1 senior appearance each in the past two years.
  • Denmark is like the Conference South

Our moves forward are made in a sort of fearful exploration. What would happen if we probed: something alien or nasty might be there. Yesterday, with an attacking throw-in, all our players were frozen. Then three of them rushed the man with the ball over his head, poised.

Yeah!

Makienok scored in Denmark - that's about the level of our Conference South. As he himself has discovered. Hence all the praying on his knees in the centre circle when his team-mates at least have the humility to troop off collectively.

Apart from all the misplaced knock-downs, you missed Makienok's hearty swivel and shoot yesterday. It was in the first half - ten yards out, and ten yards over the bar.

It's cracking stuff. Even Joe Piggott is laughing.

Absolute nonsense, I went to a Danish top flight game a few weeks ago (Brondby v Njordesland) and it was probably on a par with the lower end of the Championship.

Yeah!

1 in 2 goal ratio if memory serves
  • edited October 2015

Makienok is not a folk-hero: he failed in Denmark was off-loaded to Sicily and failed there too. Ba and Cellebos each played one senior game in two years, yet are somehow good enough for Charlton. It depends what you want: a shuffling, hapless little team dodging relegation from one year to the next, or...

Yeah!

Makienok did not fail in Denmark. In fact the opposite is true. He secured a move to a Serie A side as a result of his consistent performances for Brondby.

Sorry but you know nothing about Danish football Viewfinder.