Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Fulham - match thread

Comments

• Pope is not rubbish but his weakness is the powerful shot along the ground, you might think that the coach would have rectified it and a defender would be ready to kick away any rebound

This.

It's a team game and all individuals have strengths and weaknesses.

It's not rocket science to instruct a defender to look out for deflections if the goalkeeper cannot hold the ball especially from free kicks.
  • We are certainly not getting the decisions our way. How was that a foul by Ba?
  • The sarcastic cheers will do Pope the world of good!! - NOT!
  • Pope is not rubbish but his weakness is the powerful shot along the ground, you might think that the coach would have rectified it and a defender would be ready to kick away any rebound

You'd then have to have a defender a fair wedge back which would then bring the crowd further in, in turn probably making it tougher for Pope, with a huge crowd just in front of him rather than a little distance away.

The only remedy for it is to either catch it OR deflect it awkwardly away, because a mis-catch will 'cushion' it out for strikers to pounce on
  • They have a player called Husband? Or did I mishear?
  • edited October 2015

Pope is not rubbish but his weakness is the powerful shot along the ground, you might think that the coach would have rectified it and a defender would be ready to kick away any rebound

And play everyone onside by having to accommodate a keeper who can't keep out a basic shot? Maybe we should get in a new, better keeper so we don't have to play around a major flaw
  • Looks like the opposition know of Pope's weakness and are targetting it.
  • sam3110 said:

Pope is not rubbish but his weakness is the powerful shot along the ground, you might think that the coach would have rectified it and a defender would be ready to kick away any rebound

And play everyone onside by having to accommodate a keeper who can't keep out a basic shot? Maybe we should get in a new, better keeper so we don't have to play around a major flaw
    Erm their guy was onside anyway

Hahaha.

It's more than a weakness. It's what stops you cutting it at this level.
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:

Playing everyone onside is a red herring. The defender simply needs to react quicker than the striker and clear.
  • I thought we looked half decent for a lot of that half. Fulham initially had a lot of the ball, but didn't create much, I would say we probably made the better chances.

The sooner we get Henderson back the better, I'm a fan of Pope, and let's not forget some of the great saves he has made for us, but he just cannot handle balls that fizz along the ground.
  • Were not even playing that bad, been a few nice spells for us. Shame we have a clown in goal.
  • sam3110 said:

Erm their guy was onside anyway
    Yes but we'd either have to play a defender 5 yards closer at all times, or sign Usain Bolt to mop up after Pope's spillages
  • edited October 2015
    LenGlover said:

sam3110 said:

Playing everyone onside is a red herring. The defender simply needs to react quicker than the striker and clear.
    Seriously. Can anyone quote an example of a PL or Championship club that routinely has a player allocated to this job at every dead ball situation?
  • Pope is a good keeper when the ball is in the air or does not bounce.
    As soon as it bounces he looks awful, not ony has he messed that up twice this game but also a number of other times.
    You cant carry A goalkeeper , so unless he can rectify it soon I doubt he has a future here.
  • I feel sorry for the guy but Pope pretty much costs us a goal a game. It's not good enough and if he wasn't a youth product (of sorts), he'd be in for all kinds of stick. I'm glad that isn't the case but a change needs to be made....
  • A simple solution would be to provide him with a padded goal keepers jersey. It would reduce the speed that the ball rebounds from his chest in these situations increasing the chances that he can grab it before it bounces away. I am sure they uses to have padded goal keepers jerseys in the old days. Is there a rule about how padded a goal keepers jersey can be be. I'm not saying he should look like Michelin man next time he plays but I think he wear a as much padding as legally possible.
  • Sponsored links:

• Another factor to look at...You dont concede a free kick, they dont get the opportunity to score from it in the first place.

Yet you dont see the idiot who gave it away getting lynched on here... or McAlney for missing a golden chance in the first 40secs

The idiot who gave it away, Ba, has been our best player by an absolute mile
  • Huskaris said:

Huskaris said:

I'll say it again. Mitov must be asking what has to happen in order for him to get a game. I would be having serious words with the manager. It's not fair on him.

Maybe because the boss knows what'll happen to him if he makes a mistake... Pigott / Pope wont be the first to have a career ruined by the forum experts
    Largely those people who have had their careers "ruined" by forum experts have ended up at much lower league clubs. It doesn't take a genius to identify when someone is way out of their depth.
    yes, but when you say Mitov is the answer you do look like a typical forum expert.

The answer surely is the keeper we've sent to Alcorcon
  • The fuck is Rob Lee talking about here? A gulf between the two sides? We were the better side most of the half and they are leading from a mistake.
  • Leuth said:

Another factor to look at...You dont concede a free kick, they dont get the opportunity to score from it in the first place.

Yet you dont see the idiot who gave it away getting lynched on here... or McAlney for missing a golden chance in the first 40secs

The idiot who gave it away, Ba, has been our best player by an absolute mile
    Ahhhh so he's excused blame because of that then, he's given away about three free kicks for stupid fouls so far
  • Not good enough yet again
  • Seeing the replays on sky....... Defenders very slow to react at the goal.

• Haven't read the whole thread but in my opinion bit at times the football we are playing is better than when we were in the prem but the players are just not as good. We ain't doing a lot wrong just not clinical in the final third.
    I used to come away somewhat thinking, how the fck we win that when we were in the prem as we never played great football week in week out, admitidly some times we were unplayable back then but other games were were awful and still won games.
    I'm not sure I'm getting my point across the way I want to thoug!!! !

I'd love to have seen Luton with the players we had 10/12 years ago.
  • My support for Pope is wavering. It wasn't just the goal but he made a hash of O'Hara's shot which could quite easily have gone in. Saying that McAleny and KAG should both have scored and overall we don't deserve to be behind and are playing ok Imo. From someone at the game.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!