Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

UFC Thread

Comments

• Just looking at UFC279. My word that's the worst card for a numbered UFC event i've ever seen! 
    Nate v Khamzat is an hilarious main event. I believe it's Nate's last fight of his deal? UFC 280 looks the opposite.
    You can guarantee Nate didn't want to fight unless he was the main event - imagine spending 70 bucks or whatever it is now in America for that card. Pathetic.
  • edited August 2022
    colthe3rd said:
    Absolutely fantastic stuff, so happy for him. Was so close in that first round and then a highlight for the ages at the end.

As great as Usman is he is guilty of coasting to victories, I guess it is because of how dominant he is but it's exactly why he'll never be a fans favourite.

Added bonus was shutting Rogan and DC up, they really are terrible commentators. Just in that fight alone saying how great Herb is yet he got the eye poke and low blow wrong (not to mention all the late stoppages he has). 
    I would say it’s his personality as to why he’s not a fan’s favourite, he certainly doesn’t coast to victories, you could argue because he wasn’t coasting against Leon that was the reason he was KOd. Big Leon fan but until that headkick he looked like he had no interest in being in there, hence the coaches talks after every round, that’s the effect Usmans pressure has on fighters typically. 

He KOd Jorge stiff, stopped Colby once and tried to again, stopped Gilb, ran at Woodley who at the time, looked as relentless as Usman has in recent fights. Tremendous fighter, crap personality 

that said what a comeback by Edwards! Going into it I gave him about a 30% chance of winning it, by the end of the 3rd, 0. He looked like a bloke who had given up hope and realised he wasn’t ready, two rounds later he KOs Usman stiff, what a sport. 

I think we saw the collapse of Usman there, there’s always a fighter who looks unstoppable and they lose and don’t look the same again, Weidman, Rockhold, McGregor, Woodley, Overeem etc, reckon Usman will be on that list now. 

• Another great card.
  • Just looking at UFC279. My word that's the worst card for a numbered UFC event i've ever seen! 
    Nate v Khamzat is an hilarious main event. I believe it's Nate's last fight of his deal? UFC 280 looks the opposite.
    You can guarantee Nate didn't want to fight unless he was the main event - imagine spending 70 bucks or whatever it is now in America for that card. Pathetic.
    Nate's a massive draw so makes sense to have him main event. Just feel they're feeding him to the lions so his worth is low if he joins another promotion. I expect he'll concentrate on his academy.
  • colthe3rd said:
    Absolutely fantastic stuff, so happy for him. Was so close in that first round and then a highlight for the ages at the end.

As great as Usman is he is guilty of coasting to victories, I guess it is because of how dominant he is but it's exactly why he'll never be a fans favourite.

Added bonus was shutting Rogan and DC up, they really are terrible commentators. Just in that fight alone saying how great Herb is yet he got the eye poke and low blow wrong (not to mention all the late stoppages he has). 
    I would say it’s his personality as to why he’s not a fan’s favourite, he certainly doesn’t coast to victories, you could argue because he wasn’t coasting against Leon that was the reason he was KOd. Big Leon fan but until that headkick he looked like he had no interest in being in there, hence the coaches talks after every round, that’s the effect Usmans pressure has on fighters typically. 

He KOd Jorge stiff, stopped Colby once and tried to again, stopped Gilb, ran at Woodley who at the time, looked as relentless as Usman has in recent fights. Tremendous fighter, crap personality 

that said what a comeback by Edwards! Going into it I gave him about a 30% chance of winning it, by the end of the 3rd, 0. He looked like a bloke who had given up hope and realised he wasn’t ready, two rounds later he KOs Usman stiff, what a sport. 

I think we saw the collapse of Usman there, there’s always a fighter who looks unstoppable and they lose and don’t look the same again, Weidman, Rockhold, McGregor, Woodley, Overeem etc, reckon Usman will be on that list now. 

I get what you're saying but you're being a bit selective with his highlights. Before Saturday it was 10 decision victories out of 15 in the ufc. I do agree his personality is part of the reason he hasn't got that many fans but first and foremost you have to finish fighters to really gain a following.

This isn't meant to downplay how good he was/is, he's a very intelligent fighter and rightly dominated that division for as long as he did. But I still stand by my point that far too often it's the fact he is so dominant and technically brilliant that allows him to coast the end of fights because he has built up such a lead.
  • colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:

I get what you're saying but you're being a bit selective with his highlights. Before Saturday it was 10 decision victories out of 15 in the ufc. I do agree his personality is part of the reason he hasn't got that many fans but first and foremost you have to finish fighters to really gain a following.

This isn't meant to downplay how good he was/is, he's a very intelligent fighter and rightly dominated that division for as long as he did. But I still stand by my point that far too often it's the fact he is so dominant and technically brilliant that allows him to coast the end of fights because he has built up such a lead.
    I think a lot of people, including a couple of my mates, still hold his 'Snooze-man' fights against him from his run to the belt - since he became champ he's actually been more entertaining but before then he was boring AF. Plus there was the whole 'I only fought at about 30%' quote after putting on a particularly dull display in one of his pre-champ decision borefest's.
  • colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:

I was going off of his recent form mate where he has drastically improved and isn’t a boring fighter at all imo, I look forward to their rematch 
  • And now it's a decent card!😃
  • Almost like it had been planned.
  • And now it's a decent card!😃
    Absolutely this. I really thought those matchups were boring, and all of a sudden it is exciting..
    colthe3rd said:
    Almost like it had been planned.
    Yeah, almost certain that the press conference cancellation etc was all bullshit.

Might have to get up and watch this one tonight!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2022
    Chimaev is one dangerous bloke!

4th time in his 6 UFC fights that he's won without taking a single strike.
  • Shame the guy is a bell end but he is serious.

The Diaz Ferguson fight was exactly what it was, 2 men fighting near the end of their careers.
  • colthe3rd said:
    Shame the guy is a bell end but he is serious.

The Diaz Ferguson fight was exactly what it was, 2 men fighting near the end of their careers.
    A decent line-up once the shift around happened but a joke that it was a PPV really - imagine paying $75 or whatever it is in the US for it. Was like a good Fight Night card really, but Diaz would never headline a fight night (Can't blame him)
  • Any streams?
  • Not a huge UFC follower but that fight was quality. That cut on Yan was ridiculous 
  • Was a small cut. Yan was robbed.

Some card this!
  • What a performance from Makhachev. 
  • Wow! Did not see that happening! Would love to see a rematch in Brazil.
  • He's just called out Volkanovski, this is the best sport in the world!
  • Good last 4 fights. 

I don't necessarily feel Yan was robbed, although I know a lot of people did. 

Overall, I had Yan comprehensively being the better fighter, however I only had him actually winning round 2. I think I Malley edged 1 and 3, and Yan smashed round 2 (albeit not enough for a 10-8 if that makes sense!)
  • Sponsored links:

• He's just called out Volkanovski, this is the best sport in the world!
    That would be an insane fight.
  • Huskaris said:
    Good last 4 fights. 

Overall, I had Yan comprehensively being the better fighter, however I only had him actually winning round 2. I think I Malley edged 1 and 3, and Yan smashed round 2 (albeit not enough for a 10-8 if that makes sense!)
     They need to change the scoring. 10-8 means the round loser was lucky to continue to the next round whereas 10-9 could be anywhere to just nudging a close round to dominating it. 
  • Huskaris said:
    Good last 4 fights. 

They need to change the scoring. 10-8 means the round loser was lucky to continue to the next round whereas 10-9 could be anywhere to just nudging a close round to dominating it. 
    Completely agree. Over the 15 minutes, Yan was the better fighter, and by a fair amount.
  • Great show, 2 new champions and Poirer v Chandler was incredible.
  • Chandler is allergic to boring fights - not sure if I've seen a really high level fighter swing so wildly and carelessly in practically every fight, maybe Gaethje in his older fights.

If he'd kept his cool in his UFC fights he might've won them all. 

It was a great card back to front - so many R1 finishes capped off by a great main event. Although watching 2 kickboxers grapple was quite rough to watch as a grappler myself haha
  • A grappler yourself? I'm a Faixa Roxa.

Khamzat beats Pereira due his grappling skills.
  • A grappler yourself? I'm a Faixa Roxa.

Khamzat beats Pereira due his grappling skills.
    Me too haha. 

He'd absolutely body him in a round or 2 IMO. Just a terrible matchup for Pereira, and Adesanya at that too. 
  • Do you train up north? Someone's been promoted.

• Think Whittaker has a good chance vs Pereira too