Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

UFC Thread

Comments

• Options
    I'm was always pretty neutral to Izzy but my goodness he was good tonight. 

9/10 of his attempts at showmanship are complete cringe but I was screaming with him when he was firing the arrows, remembering Pereira's walkout. 

He was happy, like really really happy after the fight. It clearly meant so much to him. 

He definitely was playing possum in my opinion, to the extent I said it as soon as I saw the replay. He came out calculated not desperate after that knee was thrown 
  • Options
    Wow i didn't see that happening! Was meant to post on here saying how strange it was that Izzy was going in as favourite!

Nice of the broadcaster to censor most of his speech. Beating an opponent who has beaten you three times before is motivational stuff!

He's pretty cringe but also pretty likeable IMO.
  • Options
    Good move by Masvidal to retire. A lot of fighters don't know when to stop and he's avoided taking serious. Not keen on the end of his speech but the rest of it was class.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Wow i didn't see that happening! Was meant to post on here saying how strange it was that Izzy was going in as favourite!

Nice of the broadcaster to censor most of his speech. Beating an opponent who has beaten you three times before is motivational stuff!

He's pretty cringe but also pretty likeable IMO.
    I didn't see it either. Really thought Pereira was going to make it 4-0. 

With it being 1-1 now within the UFC that trilogy has to be on the cards, nothing much else going on in that division. 

Don't get me started on a LHW fight between Izzy and Jones....
  • Options
    The step up from Middle to LHW is huge as Izzy has experienced first hand.

I think Khamzat is now a middleweight after the Diaz fight shambles so that's someone new for Izzy. He's a way off being worthy of a title shot so the trilogy is the only logical next title fight imo.
  • Options
    My word Tom Aspinall! Terrifying speed and power. Glad he's back and the knee looks good!
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    So happy to see he made it back and Tybura is a good fighter to beat. 

Can't be far off that title challenge now...

Would love Brits to be holding the welterweight and heavyweight titles at the same time!
  • Options
    Great to see so many empty seats. Stub hub were selling tickets for £25/£35 on Friday. The performance centre has had better cards (Molly McCann co-main?!) and the prices they wanted were a joke. Hopefully they won't take advantage of us next time. 👌🏼
  • Options
    Great to see so many empty seats. Stub hub were selling tickets for £25/£35 on Friday. The performance centre has had better cards (Molly McCann co-main?!) and the prices they wanted were a joke. Hopefully they won't take advantage of us next time. 👌🏼
    I agree, but I'd argue it's more likely they won't come back!  :wink:

Needed Pimblett and/or Edwards on the card to sell out in my opinion.
  • Options
    How good would Arnold V Max Hollyway have been in London? Last night had a bigger gate than that show.

Obviously we're behind Vegas, New York and perhaps Abu Dhabi but London is right up there and deserves better IMO.

Aspinall is probably two away a title shot. It's not the division is used to be. If he finishes Gane that's enough for a title shot IMO. Perhaps rerun the Blaydes match before hand or someone in the top 5. Sensational performance.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surprised there was no discussion of a very good card from the weekend. Think there was only a couple decisions between the main and prelims! 

Pereira looked pretty good at LHW and so strong but the fight definitely needed to be 5 Rounds IMO, the decision was definitely right despite Jan's complaints. 

Gaethje looked great vs Poirier as well, kinda disappointed as I rly like Poirier 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Surprised there was no discussion of a very good card from the weekend. Think there was only a couple decisions between the main and prelims! 

Pereira looked pretty good at LHW and so strong but the fight definitely needed to be 5 Rounds IMO, the decision was definitely right despite Jan's complaints. 

Gaethje looked great vs Poirier as well, kinda disappointed as I rly like Poirier 
    There's no UFC discussions on this forum regardless! The boxing thread always seems busy though.

Bar Pereira and Jiri Prochazka the LHW division seems pretty flat to me. Them two will have a great fight. I have it 2-1 Pereira as well.

I was expecting Poirier to win. Amusing that Usman was in Gaethje's corner for the replays of the Edward's KO in the same building! Was hoping they would scrap the BMF title. Both fighters said before the fight that it's meaningless.

Derrick Lewis was the star of the event and I hope Tony retires now. He's spoiling his legacy.
  • Options
    I think Tony looked decent overall, he's just not at that level anymore. A few bad decisions cost him poorly in that fight, the imanari roll notably and trying to throw up a buggy choke on Bobby just gave him the head+arm. I think if he fought someone outside of the top 15 he could probablly get a win, but I reckon they'll keep feeding him to upcoming guys now :( would like to see him Vs Jim Miller or someone like that.
  • Options
    He also looked good against Chandler until the head kick of the year.

Buggy chokes are very tenth planet, only someone like Tony would try it when slams are allowed. Even during his prime, which people may forget was very impressive, he was a complete head case!
  • Options
    He also looked good against Chandler until the head kick of the year.

Buggy chokes are very tenth planet, only someone like Tony would try it when slams are allowed. Even during his prime, which people may forget was very impressive, he was a complete head case!
    Yea he did a load of mad shit but he just seems to have lost that bit of athleticism that allowed him to pull it off/get away with it.
  • Options
    I love Tony but he was noticeably slower than he used to be. I think someone needs to step in and save him from himself. Record now for both the longest winning streak and losing streak at light weight. 
    Justin looked fantastic and I never would of guessed a head kick knock out to end that fight. I was expecting a brawl but both fighters so technical. It bothers me tho when fighters put such high regard on the champions belt, especially as I don't think Justin or Dustin are going to get it at this point. I hope they both can appreciate what they done in their careers when they call it a day. Both are fantastic. Gutted not to see wonderboy as well. Fantastic card. Ufc has grown so much and there are fights I am looking forward to now almost weekly. 
  • Options
    Sean Strickland UFC Middleweight champion. 😐
  • Options
    Sean Strickland UFC Middleweight champion. 😐
    I actually can't believe it happened!! Not going to lie I loved it, Izzy's been a good champ but he annoys the F out of me. Thought Izzy looked poor to be honest, not sure if his busy schedule caught up with him or it was just a bad performance, or Sean just gave him problems, or maybe he had some injuries, I don't know but it was great.

Whole main card was a banger to be fair, even had an Ezekiel choke finish and Alex didn't even get a POTN for it haha
  • Options
    It was a great event. The crowd the previous week in Paris were probably the most electric crowd since the last UFC event in Paris! Aspinall making quick work of Alex looks even more impressive now, hopefully his match against Gane will be in Paris or here. A European crowd, particular the French (that's not easy to admit to!), will make a great match even more special.

No idea what happened with Izzy, he was lucky to survive the first round. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, the last time I've seen a favourite get dominated like that was probably Ferguson v Gaethje. Glad it was Strickland that caught him on an off day (?) and not Du Plessis, that bloke's a prick! 

Strickland dominated so much that there are questions on whether Izzy deserves the next shot, which opens the door for Strickland v Du Plessis. I'll be avoiding that press conference. 

Makhachev V Oliveria is the next PPV headliner. Like Izzy I felt Oliveria had an off day last time around so it should be interesting. They're both incredible fighters.

• Options
    Volkanovski v McGregor at UFC 300. Any chance or just McGregor trying to remain relevant?

Guess it would have to be at 155?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Volk would jump at it, easy money, but Conor, who recently received his BJJ black belt, still hasn't give a date for the Chandler match. He was at some boxing event last month and called out YouTuber KSI whilst looking worse for wear. I wouldn't be surprised if Conor never fights in the UFC again.

I'm far more interested in what Volk does next, he's cleaned out the Featherweight division and really pushed Makhachev.
  • Options
    I thought they'd announced Conor v Chandler for the Dec PPV? Him vs Volk won't happen IMO.
  • Options
    Volk would jump at it, easy money, but Conor, who recently received his BJJ black belt, still hasn't give a date for the Chandler match. He was at some boxing event last month and called out YouTuber KSI whilst looking worse for wear. I wouldn't be surprised if Conor never fights in the UFC again.

I'm far more interested in what Volk does next, he's cleaned out the Featherweight division and really pushed Makhachev.
    It was AJ, Conor was walking around the ring like a mentalist after the fight. 
  • Options
    That's that cleared up. 👌🏻

• Options
    I didn't see this coming!

• Options
    Tom Aspinall the new Interim heavyweight champ. Next fight will likely be Gane/Ngannou/Jones, which is very exciting for MMA fans! 
  • Options
    I don't think we'll see Ngannou in the UFC for a while!

Incredible by Aspinall, I didn't think he would win. Pavlovich looked like the next big thing. Not sure how Tom got the fight when Pavlovich was the back up fight and Stipe was good to go. Then again i don't understand how Stipe got a title shot when he hasn't fought for 2 and a half years!

Aspinall v Jones will be next and Alex v Hill.

Main event stoppage seemed premature but the ref is one of the best in the world so i'll assume he saw something missed by the camera. After i've typed that Jiri has said the stoppage was correct! 😃

Seems we are living in a golden age of UFC.
  • Options
    Got up for it and as Aspinall's attitude and humbleness is the only thing as impressive as his victory. 

Fantastic chap and he won a lot of fight fans with that performance and speech afterwards. 
  • Options
    Benoit Saint-Denis again looked like a serious prospect. I would love to attend an event in Paros with him headlining.
  • Options
    Tom Aspinall the new Interim heavyweight champ. Next fight will likely be Gane/Ngannou/Jones, which is very exciting for MMA fans! 
    Surely won't be Ngannou now he's with PFL. Also didn't Dana say he'd never fight in the UFC again?