Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

UFC Thread

Comments

• Options
    Dana also said he wouldn't get a big money fight in boxing! 🤭
  • Options
    Massive fan of Aspinalls humility after the fight. He looked nervous going in there and admitted it after he won. Takes a real character to be that honest and he's a monster in there.

I also loved how he walked out to Englishman in New York, what a fantastic song choice. Made up for the bloke.

On that note was also extremely impressed by Jiri's humility, it was a great stoppage and he put his hands up and acknowledged it. He recovered shortly after as he's a genuine machine. As much as I like the charismatic fighters like Colby, Conor, Chael etc I equally really like blokes like Aspinall, Jiri, Miocic, Ngannou etc that have that humility about them despite being walking killing machines 
  • Options
    PFL has purchased Bellator.
  • Options
    Massive fan of Aspinalls humility after the fight. He looked nervous going in there and admitted it after he won. Takes a real character to be that honest and he's a monster in there.

I also loved how he walked out to Englishman in New York, what a fantastic song choice. Made up for the bloke.

On that note was also extremely impressed by Jiri's humility, it was a great stoppage and he put his hands up and acknowledged it. He recovered shortly after as he's a genuine machine. As much as I like the charismatic fighters like Colby, Conor, Chael etc I equally really like blokes like Aspinall, Jiri, Miocic, Ngannou etc that have that humility about them despite being walking killing machines 
    Stipe Miocic is a walking example of how to behave in any combat sport. That said I also love the characters like the Diaz brothers, Masvidal. Less so Covington as I get the feeling that man is trying too hard and has a hard time convincing himself he is that much of an arsehole. 

• Options
    Carter said:

Stipe Miocic is a walking example of how to behave in any combat sport. That said I also love the characters like the Diaz brothers, Masvidal. Less so Covington as I get the feeling that man is trying too hard and has a hard time convincing himself he is that much of an arsehole. 

I agree but I reckon Stipe hasn't made near as much money as guys like Diaz and Masvidal, even though he has far greater accomplishments. Stipe had it all to be a poster boy for the UFC with being a firefighter, as well as his character, and he is very funny if you watch any of the old embeddeds, but they never pushed him and his humility probably worked against him too.
  • Options
    This is worth sharing. I'm not Strickland's biggest fan but he's nailed Colby here.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C05URDTJvdP/?igshid=ZWI2YzEzYmMxYg==

Should be a big night for the Brits tonight. 🤞🏻
  • Options
    This is worth sharing. I'm not Strickland's biggest fan but he's nailed Colby here.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C05URDTJvdP/?igshid=ZWI2YzEzYmMxYg==

Should be a big night for the Brits tonight. 🤞🏻
    Fingers crossed! I'm getting up for this one. Buzzing. 
  • Options
    0 social media and morning replay for me.
  • Options
    Hope Edwards can stay focused and beat Colby to a pulp.
  • Options
    I’m so terrified of Colby winning. Awful human being 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m so terrified of Colby winning. Awful human being 
    Yeah, it's a doomsday scenario. 
  • Options
    Colby was miles off of being a challenge. I hope the UFC has learned a lesson and will grant title matches to the best fighter (Belal) and not some nonce they believe will sell the most tickets.

• Options
    Just annoyed Edwards didn’t get to ko him and make the ref drag him off. 

Some things you don’t talk shit about and someone dead relative is certainly one of them.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    What's wrong with what Colby said? I've heard respected fighters say worse and future fighters will say comments of a similar nature.

It's two people going in a sealed cage, trying to essentially kill each other, unless another person intervenes? 

A few words said aren't going to make the sport any less violent. It's not meant to be civil
  • Options
    It is civil and they're not trying to kill each other. It's a sporting contest and the athletics commission weren't pleased with the comment.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    It isn't imo, it's civil in the sense that two humans have agreed to fight each other and haven't been forced, it's respectable that anyone would be brave enough to step in and do it, but the sports nature is not civil, it's extremely unkind and brutal.

They are fighting each other risking their lives, a few words shouldn't cause so much offence.

Very famous iconic fighters from the past have done and said worse. Current fighters have attacked people outside the sport and at events etc. 

It's a bit different if you go to a footie match and a player mentions another players family, in the fight game, it's a completely different nature of event. 

It was all mind games and it generated interest, it's no different than what we have seen in the past and I can guarantee, if there wasn't fighters like Colby and characters like him, the sport would be worse off and I imagine, would have less eyes on it. 

Everyone needs to root for someone, if they were all plain it wouldn't be the same. The most interesting fights in that sport as events have been, DC v Jones II and McGregor vs Khabib. We all know the remarks those fighters made and some of their actions, not one of them is a gentleman, and that's what makes the sport what it is.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    It is civil and they're not trying to kill each other. It's a sporting contest and the athletics commission weren't pleased with the comment.
    Oh yeah, just like I'm sure they wasn't pleased with Strickland jumping in to Dricus and assaulting him? 😂

Come on, they love it and know it's what generates the money and interest. It's no coincidence that all the highest selling PPVs of all time in combat sports are typically, two blokes who detest each other and make brutal comments towards each other and their close family. 

• Options
    Oh yeah, just like I'm sure they wasn't pleased with Strickland jumping in to Dricus and assaulting him? 😂

Come on, they love it and know it's what generates the money and interest. It's no coincidence that all the highest selling PPVs of all time in combat sports are typically, two blokes who detest each other and make brutal comments towards each other and their close family. 

UFC Would've been well happy with the promotion but the Athletic Commission is not the same thing. Though I wouldn't think they'd give a damn what was said at the press conference to be fair. 
  • Options
    But back to the important topic - the fighting not the talking.

Card as a whole was really good until the main + co-main really, Emmett's a fucking scary dude and Shavkat impressed as I expected him to. So frustrating seeing Tony lose to someone like Paddy who has never massively impressed me, gassed hard after the first round and just lay on him basically for the next 2. Didn't think it did much at all to improve his stock. Just wish Tony would retire :'(

Colby looked crap frankly, saw a video of him walking out the arena with Ice on his knees which might explain why he looked so unlike his usual self. He couldn't possibly think he won that fight surely. 
  • Options
    Edwards smashed his knee up pretty badly but even before that he wasn't doing anything. It was a joke of a performance from him before during and after.

Trump left as he was talking his nonsense post fight which is a superb ending to his run as a ppv main eventer.🤞

What do you make of MVP signing for UFC? He looks amazing beating up poor fighters but UFC don't book fights like that, as matching him with Kevin Hollands shows. His matches against decent strikers who don't fall for his counters have been dull and he struggles against great grapplers. He's also 36 now. I'm glad he's made it to the big time and hope he proves me wrong but surprised by this to say the least!

Craig Jones was sitting next to Strickand! 😃
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Edwards smashed his knee up pretty badly but even before that he wasn't doing anything. It was a joke of a performance from him before during and after.

Trump left as he was talking his nonsense post fight which is a superb ending to his run as a ppv main eventer.🤞

What do you make of MVP signing for UFC? He looks amazing beating up poor fighters but UFC don't book fights like that, as matching him with Kevin Hollands shows. His matches against decent strikers who don't fall for his counters have been dull and he struggles against great grapplers. He's also 36 now. I'm glad he's made it to the big time and hope he proves me wrong but surprised by this to say the least!

Think he'll struggle massively in UFC, might win his first against Holland though as I can see Holland getting caught as he doesn't play a smart game alot of the time. Anyone remotely well rounded will shut him down IMO.

I didn't actually realise he was 36 now which makes it even more unlikely he'll do well as his game is all about speed and fast-twitch, will he'll start losing now as well.

Never rated him particularly tbh
  • Options
    I rated him on a domestic level (bamma!) but no one sums up the term 'there are levels to this' than him. I'll be even more shocked if his contract gets renewed.
  • Options

UFC Would've been well happy with the promotion but the Athletic Commission is not the same thing. Though I wouldn't think they'd give a damn what was said at the press conference to be fair. 
    Good point.
  • Options

I think Holland is going to starch him. I never really rated Page and I think he's joined the UFC too old. He should have come years ago if he wanted to compete imo.

Holland is maturing as a fighter and he's quite dangerous. I'll be surprised if it goes past 2 rounds. 
  • Options
    Jimi Manuwa was the same, flat track bully and smashed up everyone domestically and whatever level it is that exists below the UFC but held off way too long to go over and was shown up. 
  • Options
    McGregor saying he's back in June to fight Chandler. 

Who knows if it will happen. He's absolutely washed.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    McGregor saying he's back in June to fight Chandler. 

Who knows if it will happen. He's absolutely washed.
    He appears to spend much of his days either coked up, or drunk, or probably both. 

His cardio was already ropey before all of that, never mind now fighting at a much heavier weight.

I guess we will see if the juice he was taken after he broke his leg can counter balance all that. But I doubt it. 
  • Options

Chandler has put his career on pause for this fight. I assume the money above fighting someone in the top ten is humungeous as this seems crazy from the outside. Perhaps being 37 and in the toughest division he wants that big payday before calling it a night.
  • Options
    What an upset!

Anyone else disappointed with Alex Pereira v Jamahal Hill being the UFC300 main event? 

Merab again showing he's the best at Bantamweight.
  • Options
    What an upset!

Anyone else disappointed with Alex Pereira v Jamahal Hill being the UFC300 main event? 

Merab again showing he's the best at Bantamweight.
    Terrible main event, for what should be an iconic card. 

I hope Alex decimates him, and he probably will. 

The main event needed a star imo, as much as I like Alex, he's not got true star power. 

The card overall, has some really big names and fights, but just lacks that one fight worth being sleep deprived for.

I am guessing they were really banking on Conor being ready and he isn't. Conor Diaz III, Conor Chandler, Conor Poirier IV. Any of those fights and its got that lure about it. 

Dana will be fuming as this would have been a golden opportunity to break records, I think if Khamzat, Islam, Jones, Conor feature, then it would have been. 

Gutted for Volk, devastating KO and I imagine that's his run done and dusted. There's always a bigger fish. 

Also how Whittaker survived that head kick is beyond me, he's genuinely a warrior and if it wasn't for his kryptonite in Izzy, he'd be talked about a lot more highly, proper fighter.