Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA arrests- bribery allegations (ed Blatter to resign)

Comments

• Options
    IA said:

bobmunro said:

Does football need a world governing body?

The IOC's reason for being is to decide who hosts the Olympics (and a few other things in terms of new sports to be included). Why couldn't there be an International Football World Cup Committee whose only role would be to decide on the venue. It would be made up of selected experts appointed just prior to the decision who meet once every 4 years and are then disbanded (midway between WCs) to decide on the venue 6 years hence. Nobody can serve on that committee more than once. The decision making process is transparent, against pre-set criteria and arrived at by consensus rather than voting. The host nation's governing body organise the event. Even simpler - the sequence of continents are all agreed in advance e.g. if it's Europe's turn then the committee only need to decide on which European country will host (from the list of countries who have submitted a proposal).

And a separate standing committee whose only role would be to determine changes to the codified rules (exists already).

The confederations work in similar ways - just again a committee appointed for a one off decision to award the venue for Euro Championships etc...

Over simplistic and I haven't really thought it through - but it does away with the ongoing gravy train and corruption that goes along with it.

Both FIFA and the IOC seem to be hell bent on awarding their blue riband events to the dodgiest regimes and countries going - Russia, Brazil, Qatar, China... okay they slipped up with London and Tokyo, but you get where I am coming from...
    The IOC has rejected both Doha and Baku in recent years due to not passing the technical requirements before the voting.

How they managed to award the Winter Olympics to a beach resort is another matter.
    So not because of them being dodgy as f*** then?

• Options
    bobmunro said:

IA said:

bobmunro said:

The IOC's reason for being is to decide who hosts the Olympics (and a few other things in terms of new sports to be included). Why couldn't there be an International Football World Cup Committee whose only role would be to decide on the venue. It would be made up of selected experts appointed just prior to the decision who meet once every 4 years and are then disbanded (midway between WCs) to decide on the venue 6 years hence. Nobody can serve on that committee more than once. The decision making process is transparent, against pre-set criteria and arrived at by consensus rather than voting. The host nation's governing body organise the event. Even simpler - the sequence of continents are all agreed in advance e.g. if it's Europe's turn then the committee only need to decide on which European country will host (from the list of countries who have submitted a proposal).

And a separate standing committee whose only role would be to determine changes to the codified rules (exists already).

The confederations work in similar ways - just again a committee appointed for a one off decision to award the venue for Euro Championships etc...

Over simplistic and I haven't really thought it through - but it does away with the ongoing gravy train and corruption that goes along with it.

Both FIFA and the IOC seem to be hell bent on awarding their blue riband events to the dodgiest regimes and countries going - Russia, Brazil, Qatar, China... okay they slipped up with London and Tokyo, but you get where I am coming from...
    The IOC has rejected both Doha and Baku in recent years due to not passing the technical requirements before the voting.

How they managed to award the Winter Olympics to a beach resort is another matter.
    I don't know - downhill water-skiing is something I'd pay to watch!!
    It was downhill slush skiing and you could have watched for free on the BBC.
  • Options

IA said:

bobmunro said:

So not because of them being dodgy as f*** then?

Probably not. I would hope that the desert thing would always count against Doha.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Blatter is appealing his ban: bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34483711

First time that the words Blatter and Appealing have been used in the same sentence. Mind you he may have to get used to serving a long one!
  • Options
    If Platini cannot supply contractural evidence for his 2mEuros payment from Blatter, how much has the latter squirrelled away on his watch as President?!
  • Options

If you appreciate the writing of Marina Hyde, you will love this.

"If you ever really want to know how deeply and terminally messed up Fifa is, meanwhile, then consider the fact that we’re supposed to feel grateful when the sponsors voice concerns. This is always our best chance, we’re assured, as though it were somehow a positive to have ceded moral leadership to Ronald McDonald. This week, people who want reform of Fifa were excited that Coca-Cola had released a statement calling for Blatter to go. Also this week, it was reported that Coca-Cola has paid millions to scientists and healthy-eating initiatives to counter the outlandishly bizarre claim that its beverages have anything to do with obesity. So I don’t think we should rule out the possibility that the plum role of the twinkly-eyed Santa in Coke’s forthcoming Christmas ad will in fact be taken by a certain resting Swiss football executive, lovingly tucking a £69.99 third change replica strip and type 2 diabetes into every child’s expectant stocking."
    This. Absolutely, 100%, irrevocably, THIS

The worst thing about this cesspit of backhandery, corruption and arrogance is that we're now reduced to being GRATEFUL to McDonald's and Coca-Cola - when we should be absolutely livid that a sport has sold it's soul to junk food and fizzy pop.
  • Options

That's a good article
  • Options
    So Platini took the money from Blatter in order for Platini to vote for Blatter, who agreed to stand one more term, retire, and usher in Platini. If Bin Hamamm had beaten Blatter, Platini would have struggled to later get the top job against the incumbent.

The Guardian seem pretty confident this is all true! I'm so enjoying watching this unfold.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

So Platini took the money from Blatter in order for Platini to vote for Blatter, who agreed to stand one more term, retire, and usher in Platini. If Bin Hamamm had beaten Blatter, Platini would have struggled to later get the top job against the incumbent.

The Guardian seem pretty confident this is all true! I'm so enjoying watching this unfold.

That's all well and good, but when was Platini supposed to be paid for the work he did 9 years earlier? Was he supposed to wait forever for the money written agreed in the contract?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IA said:

JiMMy 85 said:

That's all well and good, but when was Platini supposed to be paid for the work he did 9 years earlier? Was he supposed to wait forever for the money written agreed in the contract?
    I'm sure I read somewhere that Swiss law says any money payable must be paid within 5 years, so this bribe payment was still illegal anyway.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    The lesson that has to come out of this sorry episode is that if you give them the wrong people the keys to the sweet shop, they will eat all of the sweets. Football is now behind all sports by about 20 years. Even the tradition
  • Options
    UEFA associations still backing Platini

"Qualified support"
  • Options
    UEFA general secretary, Gianni Infantino!!!!!

He sounds legit...
  • Options

UEFA general secretary, Gianni Infantino!!!!!

He sounds legit...

How could you not have confidence in a man whose name (very) loosely translates as 'Johnny Baby'
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

The most annoying fact is Blatter is still being paid some gargantuan salary as the appeals, investigations and bullshit continues.

This slimy little arsehole is laughing all the way to the bank
  • Options

Good article, that. I especially liked, "If you ever really want to know how deeply and terminally messed up Fifa is, meanwhile, then consider the fact that we’re supposed to feel grateful when the sponsors voice concerns. This is always our best chance, we’re assured, as though it were somehow a positive to have ceded moral leadership to Ronald McDonald". Also, if anyone's wondering what this 'cockocracy' is that Hyde refers to in the title, I looked it up:

Cockocracy
  • Options
    Not directly relevant to this thread, but this is pathetic - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34603517

Impressive that UEFA is still able to carry out its work efficiently whilst its president is suspended due to corruption allegations. Shame they're not as quick to act over racist abuse and chanting.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Not directly relevant to this thread, but this is pathetic - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34603517

Impressive that UEFA is still able to carry out its work efficiently whilst its president is suspended due to corruption allegations. Shame they're not as quick to act over racist abuse and chanting.

Thought the same when I saw this... Fans boo National Anthems all the time yet nothing ever gets said about that when it happens, but you cant boo the Champions League anthem, a piece of made up music
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Oh well, since this thread is near the top of the page, did you see Mr Formula One's recent, high-minded contribution to the FIFA corruption debate?

//Ecclestone said: "I don't think [Blatter] should have ever stepped down. I don't think he should have been challenged.

"If people allegedly have been corrupted to make things happen in their country, it's good."

The 85-year-old added: "It's a tax football had to pay."

He also backed Russian President Vladimir Putin and said there was "no place for democracy". //

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/34552570
  • Options

Oh well, since this thread is near the top of the page, did you see Mr Formula One's recent, high-minded contribution to the FIFA corruption debate?

//Ecclestone said: "I don't think [Blatter] should have ever stepped down. I don't think he should have been challenged.

"If people allegedly have been corrupted to make things happen in their country, it's good."

He also backed Russian President Vladimir Putin and said there was "no place for democracy". //

Only one place for Blatter and Ecclestone that isnt a jail...

• Options

That defies belief.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

That defies belief.
    Owner of a sport that is getting duller and duller every year makes attention-seeking comment to get in the news.

I can believe it.
  • Options
    You need to remember that Ecclestone escaped prison for paying a massive bribe to officials, by paying a massive fine to officials. In his world, money talks.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

You need to remember that Ecclestone escaped prison for paying a massive bribe to officials, by paying a massive fine to officials. In this world, money talks.

Fixed that for ya Riz...

• Options

I am sure, rightly or wrongly, that the US's primary goal is to scupper the Russian bid for 2018 and they have chosen this as a very easy and righteous way of doing so. Getting Saudi Arabia to tank the global oil prices is just another string in their bow to turn the screws. Russia are responding with their highly elective bombing targets in Syria.

This comment could be open to derision.

I make you spot on. It's fair few leaps involved to make that judgment but your comment highlights the true motive of the those in power.

The US did not give 2 hoots about FIFA corruption until the Russia decision. US /Swiss relations were at breaking point 3 years ago, to the extent that Swiss bankers were arrested in a muscle flexing act by US. Blatter erred by taking on the US, who have the final word on everything that word being A-BOMB.

Swiss and US relations have improved (Swiss shat themselves as they realised they couldn't protect their national interests domestically with such a weight opponent on the international markets). Swiss gave up blatter and that's why this has all happened.

@c4fcdenmark... A* you have seen the big picture there pal.
  • Options
    Wow
  • Options

I am sure, rightly or wrongly, that the US's primary goal is to scupper the Russian bid for 2018 and they have chosen this as a very easy and righteous way of doing so. Getting Saudi Arabia to tank the global oil prices is just another string in their bow to turn the screws. Russia are responding with their highly elective bombing targets in Syria.

This comment could be open to derision.

I make you spot on. It's fair few leaps involved to make that judgment but your comment highlights the true motive of the those in power.

The US did not give 2 hoots about FIFA corruption until the Russia decision. US /Swiss relations were at breaking point 3 years ago, to the extent that Swiss bankers were arrested in a muscle flexing act by US. Blatter erred by taking on the US, who have the final word on everything that word being A-BOMB.

Swiss and US relations have improved (Swiss shat themselves as they realised they couldn't protect their national interests domestically with such a weight opponent on the international markets). Swiss gave up blatter and that's why this has all happened.

@c4fcdenmark... A* you have seen the big picture there pal.</blockquote

You're right It's a chip in a far larger game.