Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA arrests- bribery allegations (ed Blatter to resign)

Comments

• Options
    Fumbluff said:

Do you think he'd listen if maybe The Pope told him to fuck off?

(Not Nick)

He'd probably try to sell the Vatican the 2018 World Cup.

"No, your Papal Majesty I have never heard of this, who... Vladimir Putin fella?"

"It's yours for a charitable donation!"
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    He'll end up in prison. The Platini revelation and his staying on may be a good thing in that a real reformist eventually takes over as FIFA smells so bad. Let him fiddle for a few months as his empire burns. He is truly showing now that it is not about football, but about him. Not that we haven't known that for some time.
  • Options
    When the President, Secretary-General and Vice-President of an organisation are all suspended for corruption it really should be a fairly big hint that something is wrong with the very essence of that organisation.

FIFA needs to be completely disbanded and start again from scratch.
  • Options
    Get them in a darkened room. Attach the electrodes to their plums and watch the feckers light up like a cheap B&Q fibre optic christmas tree!
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

When the President, Secretary-General and Vice-President of an organisation are all suspended for corruption it really should be a fairly big hint that something is wrong with the very essence of that organisation.

Who though... Do you get to come in and run things, cos whoever does come in, how do we know they're not implicated?
  • Options

Rizzo said:

Who though... Do you get to come in and run things, cos whoever does come in, how do we know they're not implicated?
    I'll do it
  • Options

Rizzo said:

We could start by asking them if they have ever worked for FIFA :)
  • Options
    Platini needs to be investigated as well, as it's not 100% clear that he's innocent. Just because he was a great player, it doesn't mean he's in the clear, in his own way he's part of the French establishment...
  • Options
    He voted for Qatar -Nuff said.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

This should exclude because he is either:
    A - Taking a bung
    B - Stupid
  • Options

This should exclude him because he is either:
    A - Taking a bung
    B - Stupid
    Or C - His son got a job with Qatar Sports Investments just after he voted for them...
  • Options
    The more you think about all this, the more it absolutely stinks
  • Options
    I am sure he was the best person for the job Algarve and it was merely a coincidence, just like him pulling out of the presidential elections just after being paid 2m Swiss Francs for work he had done 9 years earlier :)
  • Options
    And still our unblemished football body FA (more than 57 old farts?) back Platini!!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2015

And still our unblemished football body FA (more than 57 old farts?) back Platini!!!!

The clip I saw showed Greg Dyke saying that they didnt know what the full details of the alleged accusations were yet, but if they were true that they couldnt support him. A lot of people were hoping on Platter being a reformer but it seems that he has been caught with his snout in the trough too. I think on this occasion the FA paid its part in moving things along, by not backing Blatter, by opposing Qatar, by backing the reforming Prince, and calling for change.
  • Options
    FIFA can't change whilst every country and continent had the same voting weight. The organisation needs to be run by and for the larger footballing and world powers otherwise it'll end up in the same mess again. Its not ideal but it is the reality of the situation.
  • Options
    Issa Hayatou set to take over. Maybe the focus can move from corruption to other controversies
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Does football need a world governing body?

The IOC's reason for being is to decide who hosts the Olympics (and a few other things in terms of new sports to be included). Why couldn't there be an International Football World Cup Committee whose only role would be to decide on the venue. It would be made up of selected experts appointed just prior to the decision who meet once every 4 years and are then disbanded (midway between WCs) to decide on the venue 6 years hence. Nobody can serve on that committee more than once. The decision making process is transparent, against pre-set criteria and arrived at by consensus rather than voting. The host nation's governing body organise the event. Even simpler - the sequence of continents are all agreed in advance e.g. if it's Europe's turn then the committee only need to decide on which European country will host (from the list of countries who have submitted a proposal).

And a separate standing committee whose only role would be to determine changes to the codified rules (exists already).

The confederations work in similar ways - just again a committee appointed for a one off decision to award the venue for Euro Championships etc...

Over simplistic and I haven't really thought it through - but it does away with the ongoing gravy train and corruption that goes along with it.
  • Options
    I read that the Blatter and Platini investigations are being led by Robert Torres and Vanessa Allard respectively.
    Is anything known about these two?
    I can't help but be suspicious that there'll still be a number of stones unturned in these investigations - especially when you consider how Garcia spoke out about the Ethics committee after they watered down his report. As it's the same committee led by the same judge that has suspended the pair of dodgy fuckers, I was wondering where these two investigators have come from. Anyone know?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The FIFA Ethics Committee is the biggest oxymoron I can currently think of.
  • Options
    I am amazed to find they had an Ethics Committee
  • Options
    Let us not forget that this is the same ethics committee that commissioned Michael Garcia to compile a report which they then suppressed and the summary of it that they did release was disputed by the reports author as containing ‘numerous materially incomplete and erroneous representations of facts and conclusions’.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

The IOC's reason for being is to decide who hosts the Olympics (and a few other things in terms of new sports to be included).

I don't think this is true, and the IOC have been far from squeaky clean in the past. The IOC would have all the rights and sponsorship associated with the Olympics, similar really to FIFA and the World Cup.
  • Options
    Of course, if the world cup wasn't such a massive gravy train for FIFA there would be less incentive for bribery and corruption.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

The IOC's reason for being is to decide who hosts the Olympics (and a few other things in terms of new sports to be included). Why couldn't there be an International Football World Cup Committee whose only role would be to decide on the venue. It would be made up of selected experts appointed just prior to the decision who meet once every 4 years and are then disbanded (midway between WCs) to decide on the venue 6 years hence. Nobody can serve on that committee more than once. The decision making process is transparent, against pre-set criteria and arrived at by consensus rather than voting. The host nation's governing body organise the event. Even simpler - the sequence of continents are all agreed in advance e.g. if it's Europe's turn then the committee only need to decide on which European country will host (from the list of countries who have submitted a proposal).

And a separate standing committee whose only role would be to determine changes to the codified rules (exists already).

The confederations work in similar ways - just again a committee appointed for a one off decision to award the venue for Euro Championships etc...

Over simplistic and I haven't really thought it through - but it does away with the ongoing gravy train and corruption that goes along with it.

Both FIFA and the IOC seem to be hell bent on awarding their blue riband events to the dodgiest regimes and countries going - Russia, Brazil, Qatar, China... okay they slipped up with London and Tokyo, but you get where I am coming from...
  • Options
    Blatter is appealing his ban: bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34483711
  • Options

bobmunro said:

Both FIFA and the IOC seem to be hell bent on awarding their blue riband events to the dodgiest regimes and countries going - Russia, Brazil, Qatar, China... okay they slipped up with London and Tokyo, but you get where I am coming from...
    The IOC has rejected both Doha and Baku in recent years due to not passing the technical requirements before the voting.

How they managed to award the Winter Olympics to a beach resort is another matter.
  • Options
    IA said:

bobmunro said:

The IOC has rejected both Doha and Baku in recent years due to not passing the technical requirements before the voting.

How they managed to award the Winter Olympics to a beach resort is another matter.
    I don't know - downhill water-skiing is something I'd pay to watch!!