Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Valley screen with live match feed and goal replays

Comments

• The cynic in me says that the lack of team line ups is quite deliberate, it forces more people into buying a programme.

It' pointless then, a the lineup isn't in it.. Just the squad
  • Oh yeah, no sub announcements on the screen, why?

Kids don't buy what the advertisers sell
  • They should fix what's broke, not what's working fine. The only issue with the screen in recent years wasn't Dan Bream's graphics, sadly missed, but the fact the screen kept breaking.

In the meantime we've lost all the catering outside the ground and the ale inside the East Stand, which hardly helps the huge queues at the kiosks that struggle to get you back to your seat for the second half unless you've left you seat before the end of the first.

And don't get me started on the season ticket debacle. Apparently the Sam Bartram entrance had a man to scan your tickets - you couldn't make it up.
  • I agree with all the posters on here regarding the lack of team info. I imagine it isn't too difficult to fix on the new screen.
    And the tannoy is inaudible in the East Stand. Has Norman Collier come back from the grave as our new announcer?
  • PL54 said:

Hope you all enjoyed the new big screen today. We had some mild problems which we need to address but that was our first proper test due to the timeframe between arrival and the first match.

To answer some questions

We are looking into adding the team line ups on the bottom scrolling banner. We had a problem with graphics today so we didn't display any on screen but hopefully fixed for the QPR game

We are also looking into getting a box behind the clock and score to make it clearer to read

We had a different sound person as our normal one was away so apologise if sound was off. Also Dave Lockwood is on holiday (although I thought Matt who filled in did very well especially as we lost radio contact to him)

The replays and the cameras were being operated by University of Greenwich students which again for the first attempt I thought went very well. In a real game there's a lot we replayed which we won't be able to in a league game.

Overall I was pleased for a first run out and trial but it would be interesting to hear your thoughts.

Any update @sadamson84
    We still need to look into the banner option, it's such a big job taking it in house that we don't want to put loads of things up which are wrong and have errors appearing on the screen.

We will continue the live feed for a couple of games then discuss and review it. There's been a lot of people who have said they enjoy it mainly young kids or people who find it easier when the ball is at the far end of the pitch.

The team line ups were back on the screen prior to kick off

We haven't yet received the red replay graphic but hope to get it in time for Hull.
    Prior to kick off is fine provided you aren't queuing in vain to pick up your season ticket 10 minutes into the game...
  • Sounds like we need two screens
  • PL54 said:

Sounds like we need two screens

I liked it but will wait to see if it's too intrusive during an evening match.

The problem with the lack of team names and bookings could perhaps be solved by the addition of a couple supplementary cheapo LED running lights displays mounted above the North & Jimmy Seed Stands.
  • Also struggled to see the angled player photos as the team was announced. Fine on a paper page but not on screen. Want the teams back during the game.
  • rikofold said:

They should fix what's broke, not what's working fine. The only issue with the screen in recent years wasn't Dan Bream's graphics, sadly missed, but the fact the screen kept breaking.

In the meantime we've lost all the catering outside the ground and the ale inside the East Stand, which hardly helps the huge queues at the kiosks that struggle to get you back to your seat for the second half unless you've left you seat before the end of the first.

And don't get me started on the season ticket debacle. Apparently the Sam Bartram entrance had a man to scan your tickets - you couldn't make it up.

My son and his mate went in that entrance and a man in the booth scanned with a portable hand held scanner.

• Sponsored links:

• they should show the previous week's Channel 5 coverage on it after the match to empty the ground quickly.
  • seth plum said:

rikofold said:

They should fix what's broke, not what's working fine. The only issue with the screen in recent years wasn't Dan Bream's graphics, sadly missed, but the fact the screen kept breaking.

My son and his mate went in that entrance and a man in the booth scanned with a portable hand held scanner.

The usage of the Bartram gate is quite light, relatively speaking, and I'd guess the club may have opted not to install the IT up there as it may not be cost effective. There may also be a cabling issue. I think it's great the club still uses it, but it's not the best arrangement from an internal logistics point of view because it's so remote from the main ticket office.
  • seth plum said:

rikofold said:

The usage of the Bartram gate is quite light, relatively speaking, and I'd guess the club may have opted not to install the IT up there as it may not be cost effective. There may also be a cabling issue. I think it's great the club still uses it, but it's not the best arrangement from an internal logistics point of view because it's so remote from the main ticket office.
    Gets well used as an exit, maybe more so than an entrance

Maybe we should rename the East Stand the Sam Bartram Stand and the West Stand the Alan Curbishley Stand.

I know we could sell the names commercially but we've been back 25 years and no one has managed it yet.
  • Entrance to the Millenium Suite was also by portable scanner which for the benefit of you moaners worked perfectly.
  • In agreement with majority on here re need for teams, subs, other scores etc on screen.

Most of the advertising in the bottom block was for the Club anyway, so not as though it will lose them much external revenue.
  • Huskaris said:

How about team sheet and cards like it was, but with it flashing to replays when there is one, I would be quite keen on that to be honest.

This would be ideal, so you've got no chance. :smile:
  • The cynic in me says that the lack of team line ups is quite deliberate, it forces more people into buying a programme.

I'd agree if they actually tried selling programmes to the masses, instead of having to hunt around to find one.
  • I glanced to the screen, out of habit, a few times to check players, yellow cards etc.

Realised, we no longer had this very handy information and never looked at it again.

Surely, you would only want to watch the match on a screen, if you couldn't see the pitch ?

Please put it back as it was and add highlights of important action, that is permitted by all means.

If the CEO is called incompetent, it is said to be not true by some.

However, someone (presumably the CEO) is making a lot of incompetent decisions.

PS You can no longer hear any tannoy announcements in the North Upper.

I can't think of much else that the club can balls up tbh.

I think they've pretty much covered the lot.
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't like being mean, but the "graphic" for the QPR line up when the teams came out looked absolutely terrible, looked like a half-arsed Paint job. The subs didn't even have numbers to their names ffs. At least bring back the graphics from last season for the opposing team if you don't have enough time to tack something decent together.
  • I felt that generally the valley had been 'americanized' over the summer and lost some of its charm. The screen was the epitmoized this.
  • edited August 2015
    I don't get why something as simple but hopefully better quality than this can't be used. Maybe add a match clock.
  • showing the live action on the screen during the game is weird and unnecessary
    keeping the team names, cards shown, goals, remaining or elapsed time is fine
    if not showing the above is a ploy to sell programmes, good luck with that even if you've sent enough vendors out to shift em!!
  • edited August 2015
    I did like the replay though - it is good watching the goals and near misses again. As somebody said - that is what you link to the adverts as everybody will watch - this goal replay has been brought to you by Pukka Pies for instance.
  • I did like the replay though - it is good watching the goals and near misses again. As somebody said - that is what you link to the adverts as everybody will watch - this goal replay has been brought to you by Pukka Pies for instance.

definitely have replays but the standard screen should be somewhat as above.
  • I'm sure I remember the official Twitter saying the players were recording the 'walk up' style footage for when the team is announced. Or have I totally dreamt that?
  • I glanced to the screen, out of habit, a few times to check players, yellow cards etc.

Realised, we no longer had this very handy information and never looked at it again.

Surely, you would only want to watch the match on a screen, if you couldn't see the pitch ?

Please put it back as it was and add highlights of important action, that is permitted by all means.

Why do people put themselves through so much pain week after week ?
  • PL54 said:

I glanced to the screen, out of habit, a few times to check players, yellow cards etc.

Why do people put themselves through so much pain week after week ?
    Mate, I'll always go unlike you.
    Owned, as I believe the kids say