Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Valley screen with live match feed and goal replays

Comments

• I thought it was rubbish, preferred the old set up.
  • Team line ups not there is a genuine miss, with no gain as far as I can see.
    The volume levels in the stands needs sorting, RRR virtually inaudible in the East Stand.
  • Must say agree with Seth, needs to be sorted.
  • Huskaris said:

How about team sheet and cards like it was, but with it flashing to replays when there is one, I would be quite keen on that to be honest.

spot on

• Note to video operator - When a player is injured and receiving treatment, everyone in the ground can see it. We don't need to see it live on the screen from a different angle. Pointless.

How about putting the latest scores up on the screen?

I agree with everyone about the missing team lists. Can we have them back?
  • There are people who like the live action, and the replays.
    I wonder what would win in the eyes of the people in the ground, the fans. Team List or Live Action?

For me the choice would be team list.
  • Tutt-Tutt said:

Note to video operator - When a player is injured and receiving treatment, everyone in the ground can see it. We don't need to see it live on the screen from a different angle. Pointless.

When I was in Spain a few years back we went to Seville v Real Betis. The Seville left back got a cut, and the cameraman zoomed in on the treatment, you could see the stiches going in!

• Sponsored links:

• Pretty much all been said. Dreadful pointless idea of having a live feed . Glad I sit in the East Stand and don't have to be distracted by it.

I badly missed the team line ups for both sides especially for us with all our new players on show.

Good to see the better quality but come on Charlton listen to your customers and go back to how it used to be !!
  • The cynic in me says that the lack of team line ups is quite deliberate, it forces more people into buying a programme.
  • Replays a fantastic addition, but I like to see opponents card status etc... outside of that. The programme doesn't tell you who is starting and who has been booked etc...
  • I couldn't care less what's on the screen to be honest, I watch the match and learn what the new players look like and where they play. If I don't recognise an opponent I look at the back of the programme, or on my phone.

If they wanted to do the lineups as well as the match, they could have them on a scrolling bar at the bottom of the live feed
  • Thankfully the 4g and Wifi in the Valley is good enough to get the line ups via an app, but on the screen would be easier.

On and the graphics pack is blue, why?
  • Not fussed about it really.
    The negative is not having the line ups etc to hand, but the club provide free wifi so I can find all that info on my phone.
    The positive is I think that university students are doing the camera work (which I thought was pretty decent) and that must be good on someone's CV. Also a big plus for sponsorship link up with UoG.
  • I thought all the players where called advertise here!!

Some of the camera angles were good tho
  • There was some kind of garbed announcement made towards the end of the match but it was inaudible in the East Stand, maybe it is a safety issue, but surely in any kind of emergency announcements are supposed to be clear?
  • edited August 2015
    Couldnt understand a word of any announcements, including line ups etc from upper North.
  • Think the general consensus is that the screen is good, just what is on it isn't

• Sponsored links:

• Hope you all enjoyed the new big screen today. We had some mild problems which we need to address but that was our first proper test due to the timeframe between arrival and the first match.

To answer some questions

We are looking into adding the team line ups on the bottom scrolling banner. We had a problem with graphics today so we didn't display any on screen but hopefully fixed for the QPR game

We are also looking into getting a box behind the clock and score to make it clearer to read

We had a different sound person as our normal one was away so apologise if sound was off. Also Dave Lockwood is on holiday (although I thought Matt who filled in did very well especially as we lost radio contact to him)

The replays and the cameras were being operated by University of Greenwich students which again for the first attempt I thought went very well. In a real game there's a lot we replayed which we won't be able to in a league game.

Overall I was pleased for a first run out and trial but it would be interesting to hear your thoughts.

Any update @sadamson84
  • Looks like St Truinden are doing "kiss cam" on
    Their big screen during games !

• Can't they just show the line ups screen and then flick it on to highlights after something happens?

This
  • Should have shown that bloke getting chucked out.
  • Agree with everyone . No live feed just the replays and team sheets
  • PL54 said:

Hope you all enjoyed the new big screen today. We had some mild problems which we need to address but that was our first proper test due to the timeframe between arrival and the first match.

To answer some questions

We are looking into adding the team line ups on the bottom scrolling banner. We had a problem with graphics today so we didn't display any on screen but hopefully fixed for the QPR game

We are also looking into getting a box behind the clock and score to make it clearer to read

We had a different sound person as our normal one was away so apologise if sound was off. Also Dave Lockwood is on holiday (although I thought Matt who filled in did very well especially as we lost radio contact to him)

The replays and the cameras were being operated by University of Greenwich students which again for the first attempt I thought went very well. In a real game there's a lot we replayed which we won't be able to in a league game.

Overall I was pleased for a first run out and trial but it would be interesting to hear your thoughts.

Any update @sadamson84
    We still need to look into the banner option, it's such a big job taking it in house that we don't want to put loads of things up which are wrong and have errors appearing on the screen.

We will continue the live feed for a couple of games then discuss and review it. There's been a lot of people who have said they enjoy it mainly young kids or people who find it easier when the ball is at the far end of the pitch.

The team line ups were back on the screen prior to kick off

We haven't yet received the red replay graphic but hope to get it in time for Hull.
  • PL54 said:

Hope you all enjoyed the new big screen today. We had some mild problems which we need to address but that was our first proper test due to the timeframe between arrival and the first match.

To answer some questions

Any update @sadamson84
    We still need to look into the banner option, it's such a big job taking it in house that we don't want to put loads of things up which are wrong and have errors appearing on the screen.

We will continue the live feed for a couple of games then discuss and review it. There's been a lot of people who have said they enjoy it mainly young kids or people who find it easier when the ball is at the far end of the pitch.

The team line ups were back on the screen prior to kick off

We haven't yet received the red replay graphic but hope to get it in time for Hull.

I didn't see that, and I doubt those who only just made it in due to queues saw it either.

However it does not so much matter prior to kick off but in play.
    Folk like to know the current teams with numbers out on the pitch, they like to know who is on a yellow card, they like to know who might be on the bench to come on, and they like to know how much time has passed and how much time there is to go.
    Certainly I accept there have been people who have said they enjoy it, but equally there have been people who have said, and written here, that they don't enjoy it.
    I don't know whether fan feedback will be assembled for the review after a 'couple of games', but I would think fan feedback would be helpful.
    Is it really about the money and technology? The screen seems to be compelled to be in two sections, and apart from superimposing the time on the live play, the section is live play above, and advertising below.
    The financials of the screen may well impel the lower bit to be a constant bombardment of advertising, and that those adverts must have priority over information for the fans to make the advertisers happy.
    It seems a bit of a shame that what was a decent and acceptable screen thing seems to have thrown the information baby out with the bathwater, and what has been introduced is somewhat unsatisfactory, especially as it seems there could easily be a win win situation for everybody.

• It isn't announced who has been booked and it isn't always clear and you can forget. It is useful to see it during the match. It seems churlish to complain as the replays are a fantastic addition so I would like to think of the negatives a suggestions to make it better rather than complaints. Now the mascots, I can't say I care too much about them but that robin is a downgrade from Floyd and Harvey and is a bit of a laughing stock! That is a complaint :)
  • strange thing to be spending money on in a loss making business when improvement in so many revenue raising areas is so glaringly required. I don't go to football matches to watch the telly.

It's all about improving the match-day experience for fans and the current big screen is so broken that it cannot be switched off (costing us a fortune) and there's only two of our current screens left in the world and an Australian sports team purchased all the replacement parts making ours un-fixable.
    To be honest I'd much rather have a list of players, scorers and yellow cards on screen, to show the goals again is nice but for me it detracted from the game it did not enhance it.