Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Valley screen with live match feed and goal replays

Comments

• The screen doesn't really do much for me tbh.
    I find most of the interviews unintelligible anyway and as for Guy, he might as well be blowing into his lemonade through a straw for all I can decipher (I admit that my poor hearing might be the problem)
    The action is often confusing ( for example the This is the Valley sequence seems to cut too much peripheral action and I always feel it needs a much wider screen)
    I do like to see the line-ups, bookings etc, the clock and the half times, but there may be much cheaper ways to convey this to the likes of me than an electronic screen (no jokes about semaphore now please :-)
  • So if I may add my two pence worth...

Watching the TV ruins my match day experience.

And as I sit in the East Stand, I can't see the TV.

Does that about cover it?

"Charlton fans. Only happy when they're miserable since 1905"...

I am still laughing the new bigger screen TV's that were trumpeted a year or so ago. Yes they were bigger but the club swamped the bottom and side of the screen with naff local adverts which actually made the viewing screen smaller than previously!!

Exactly the same as the concourse TVs at every away ground I've been to in about the last 3 seasons...

Next away game you go to, check it out.

But as Charlton do it, it's some form of disgrace.

"Charlton fans. Only happy when they're miserable since 1905".

If they made programmes £1 cheaper they would sell a lot more

Let's hope there are plenty of home goals to show.

In today's programme in case you wondered.

Can you tell us a bit more please Henry. I didn't manage to get a programme today due to a queue being 100 yards long.
    But if you reduced the programme price by a pound, and more people wanted one, the queues would be even longer?

Is that your post signature, or do you just have a really short memory and don't realise you've already said it?
    His name to me would suggest the latter.. :-)
  • And I shall go on saying it until there is some evidence of positivity on CL.

So, I'd get used to it if I was you...

We have not had too much to be cheerful about this season to be fair.

Really? Many on here expected us to go down so 12th should be reasonably positive.
  • I like seeing the teams and the time, I don't get the point of a live feed when the games in front of me!

Except a pitch that was at least 100 times better than last season.

Oh, and not being in a relegation battle.

And seeing us play some cracking attacking football.

And possibly a Guiness World Record being set by one of our players.

And our U18s winning the title.

And the Charlton Ladies winning the Premier League Cup.

And the development squad, including some U18s win the Kent Senior Cup. Against a practically full strength Gillingham side. At Priestfield.

But apart from that, what have the Romans ever done for us?

Yeah alright, you win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hex said:

great news Steve but how big is it, is it bigger than the broken one, as we all know size matters

It's very slightly bigger but not by too much. To make it wider/taller than the current frame would have virtually been double the budget sadly
    I assume therefore that it's going to be in the same position so will not be any easier to see from most of the East.
    It's the same position yes but the design of the new screen's pixels gives a clearer side on image than the current screen gives.
    But it's the position (too low), not the clarity, that is the problem. I guess when the original screen was positioned they assumed the East Stand would be empty ! ;-)

And before Mr Happy (ESL) butts in again, I am tall enough to be able to see the screen but others cannot, especially if they have to remain seated.
  • Hex said:

Hex said:

great news Steve but how big is it, is it bigger than the broken one, as we all know size matters

It's very slightly bigger but not by too much. To make it wider/taller than the current frame would have virtually been double the budget sadly
    I assume therefore that it's going to be in the same position so will not be any easier to see from most of the East.
    It's the same position yes but the design of the new screen's pixels gives a clearer side on image than the current screen gives.
    But it's the position (too low), not the clarity, that is the problem. I guess when the original screen was positioned they assumed the East Stand would be empty ! ;-)

And before Mr Happy (ESL) butts in again, I am tall enough to be able to see the screen but others cannot, especially if they have to remain seated.
    That'll teach me!

I'm sorry if I'm happy, but being miserable just makes me miserable.

Does that mean I should visit a doctor?
  • Hex said:

Hex said:

That'll teach me!

I'm sorry if I'm happy, but being miserable just makes me miserable.

Does that mean I should visit a doctor?
    I'm not a doctor but even I can tell being happy is making you miserable !
  • strange thing to be spending money on in a loss making business when improvement in so many revenue raising areas is so glaringly required. I don't go to football matches to watch the telly.

Is it possible that the whole idea isn't to raise revenue at the ground, but to use the big screen at the club to promote RD's other business interests. Our owner made his money selling electronic components. Perhaps, his components are included in the big screen (just a guess). If so perhaps his interest in football (or at least one of his interests in football) may be as a way of marketing technologies that his other business(es?) are involved in. After all, didn't the mighty saccharin lord, get himself installed as Spurs chairman to help smooth the way to selling Amstrad produced Sky boxes to football fans worldwide?

Well, I'm not happy because you didn't say it that time.

East_Stand_Loopy out!
  • At racecourses, jockeys regularly use the big screen to see how far in front of the second horse they are. Just think how useful that might have been for some of our more skilful but equally "speed of a tugboat" players.

Dick Tydeman would, for example, not have had to rely on his ears to hear the "man on" shout of one of his team mates above the chorus of singing from our crowds of 50000 back in the 70s.

Equally, he might not have had to run round the same circle quite so many times before releasing that "killer" ball for the bearded one up front. He would merely have had to look up at the big screen to see exactly where the opposition centre back lay strewn on the deck.

The one thing that does cause me a bit of concern is the time delay between what is going on the pitch and being shown on the screen. We might have seen Hamer, for example, diving three seconds too late for a shot all because he hadn't realised he didn't have that much time to disentangle his hair brush from that magnificent beard of his.

For all the pros of technology there are clearly some negatives. But, as long as we give all our future purchases a "screen test" prior to signing, I'm sure that it will become a major asset to the Club.

• Having the teams and time up there is useful and I like that. I was under the impression that the new screen was going to have score updates and fixtures running along the bottom like a soccer Saturday thing? Or am I wrong?
    I find most of the interviews unintelligible anyway and as for Guy, he might as well be blowing into his lemonade through a straw for all I can decipher (I admit that my poor hearing might be the problem)
    The action is often confusing ( for example the This is the Valley sequence seems to cut too much peripheral action and I always feel it needs a much wider screen)
    I do like to see the line-ups, bookings etc, the clock and the half times, but there may be much cheaper ways to convey this to the likes of me than an electronic screen (no jokes about semaphore now please :-)

I used to like it when the half time scores were put up manually next to a letter indicating the fixture. There was much more tension. You would see the man hang up 1 for Millwall and then try to read the number from 50 yards that he was about to hang up for Barnsley. That was real excitement. I never understood how the final scores were available in a newspaper so soon after the games finished.
    Those were the days!

I used to like it when the half time scores were put up manually next to a letter indicating the fixture. There was much more tension. You would see the man hang up 1 for Millwall and then try to read the number from 50 yards that he was about to hang up for Barnsley. That was real excitement. I never understood how the final scores were available in a newspaper so soon after the games finished.
    Those were the days!
    Indeed. The shout to the man with the half times as he walked round "oi mate what's the XXXX score?"

And the finding out of the results in the "stop press" of the Evening News.
  • Sponsored links:

Those were the days!
    Indeed. The shout to the man with the half times as he walked round "oi mate what's the XXXX score?"

The Evening News was unbelievable for that!
  • This is great, when the game is covered by more then one camera from the gantry, but having a single camera, really offers little on the screen.
  • totally pointless showing the game on the screen whilst it's going on, just leave it as it is with the teams/time etc
  • Change
  • 3:30 winners and the half times !

Those were the days!

Plus the early 80's when you used to be able to get a football paper from about 8 in the evening.

• Could come in handy. Like if we're one nil up at half time from a great free kick we could show it over and over again, goading the opposition fans safe in the knowledge the game was in the bag...

Ah...
  • That's the opposition fans in the newly split West stand yeah?
  • They'll be able to leave the cameras zoomed in on young ladies and fat away fans at half time. It'll be quite entertaining.