Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Valley screen with live match feed and goal replays

Comments

• Fumbluff said:

C'mon. You know the drill now. It'll be the cheapest available screen, don't expect any improvement at all and it may just exceed your lowly expectations.

If it helps the new big screen was the best one currently being manufactured by one of if not the the largest UK LED screen provider. It's also brand new.
  • 'Due to FL rules the video feed will switch over to another image for contentious decisions that we aren't allowed to broadcast'

So all it'll do is show the goals and that's all?

That's all to do with replays - it will have the live game feed but we aren't allowed to show any replays for offsides, freekick/penalty decisions, away team goals etc.
  • rina said:

Not sure I understand this

Why would you have a live match feed? Who's going to watch that rather than the actual game?

How can you cut away from contentious decisions on a live feed if you can't see into the future and know they're about to happen? and how does cutting away from a live feed help anyway when everyone is there watching it happen on the pitch?

It's contentious replays we aren't allowed to replay
  • Kap10 said:

This is outrageous. Duchatelet out.

Using the new screen to distract from lack of investment in players since the season ended.
    @MrLargo surely that shoiuld be a LOL not a LIKE :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Easy solution... Don't look at the screen and your match day experience will not be ruined

Not a fan of live feed / instant replays. Think it negatively impacts on the atmosphere at games I've been to with it, so for me it is likely to worsen my match day experience not improve it.

• great news Steve but how big is it, is it bigger than the broken one, as we all know size matters
  • I always find it remarkable how unreliable the big screens always seem to be. Sometimes you'll be looking at it and random squares will appear over crucial information, or part of the screen will not illuminate.

I really don't get why that is. As a human race, we've pretty much perfected digital displays and they're very reliable. Offices around the UK use 15 year old monitors that still work as good as the day they were made.
  • I always find it remarkable how unreliable the big screens always seem to be. Sometimes you'll be looking at it and random squares will appear over crucial information, or part of the screen will not illuminate.

I really don't get why that is. As a human race, we've pretty much perfected digital displays and they're very reliable. Offices around the UK use 15 year old monitors that still work as good as the day they were made.

Whenever you think that something couldn't be crap... come to Charlton.
  • edited May 2015
    The reason the club didn't show a live feed of the action on the original screen was because of (third-party) concerns about it being too much in the eyeline of the players, i.e the refs wouldn't permit it, compared say to the screen at a high level like Spurs.

I don't know how valid that argument was, but it wasn't the lack of a live feed that prevented it. We had one to the press gantry.

Interesting if things have changed, as of course they may have.
  • great news Steve but how big is it, is it bigger than the broken one, as we all know size matters

It's very slightly bigger but not by too much. To make it wider/taller than the current frame would have virtually been double the budget sadly

It's very slightly bigger but not by too much. To make it wider/taller than the current frame would have virtually been double the budget sadly
    Steve, am i right in saying from what you said above that the league will not allow opposition goals to be shown?

I assume therefore that it's going to be in the same position so will not be any easier to see from most of the East.
  • edited May 2015
    Kap10 said:

great news Steve but how big is it, is it bigger than the broken one, as we all know size matters

Steve, am i right in saying from what you said above that the league will not allow opposition goals to be shown?
    Ours were shown at Brighton weren't they? I'm sure I remember seeing both of them on the screen above the home end - opposite the away stand.
  • Sponsored links:

• So if I may add my two pence worth...

Watching the TV ruins my match day experience.

And as I sit in the East Stand, I can't see the TV.

Does that about cover it?

"Charlton fans. Only happy when they're miserable since 1905"...
  • LuckyReds said:

Kap10 said:

great news Steve but how big is it, is it bigger than the broken one, as we all know size matters

Ours were shown at Brighton weren't they? I'm sure I remember seeing both of them on the screen above the home end - opposite the away stand.
    correct they were shown at Brighton
  • Portch said:

LuckyReds said:

Kap10 said:

'Due to FL rules the video feed will switch over to another image for contentious decisions that we aren't allowed to broadcast'

That's all to do with replays - it will have the live game feed but we aren't allowed to show any replays for offsides, freekick/penalty decisions, away team goals etc.
    Thats what confused me then
  • Yeah they say live feed, but what about when they run out of food?
  • I am still laughing the new bigger screen TV's that were trumpeted a year or so ago. Yes they were bigger but the club swamped the bottom and side of the screen with naff local adverts which actually made the viewing screen smaller than previously!!

Exactly the same as the concourse TVs at every away ground I've been to in about the last 3 seasons...

Next away game you go to, check it out.

But as Charlton do it, it's some form of disgrace.

"Charlton fans. Only happy when they're miserable since 1905".
  • edited May 2015
  • Hex said:

I assume therefore that it's going to be in the same position so will not be any easier to see from most of the East.
    It's the same position yes but the design of the new screen's pixels gives a clearer side on image than the current screen gives.
  • Kap10 said:

Portch said:

LuckyReds said:

Kap10 said:

'Due to FL rules the video feed will switch over to another image for contentious decisions that we aren't allowed to broadcast'

Thats what confused me then
    I will get this checked as we were initially told we couldn't re-play away goals but there's a long summer where all details will be finalised and released
  • Can't wait for bong go cam
  • If they made programmes £1 cheaper they would sell a lot more

Let's hope there are plenty of home goals to show.

In today's programme in case you wondered.

Can you tell us a bit more please Henry. I didn't manage to get a programme today due to a queue being 100 yards long.
    But if you reduced the programme price by a pound, and more people wanted one, the queues would be even longer?

"Charlton fans. Only happy when they're miserable since 1905".