Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Leeds - post match views

1235»

Comments

• Simonsen said:

Tony Watt needs to attack the six yard box a lot more. There were a number occasions yesterday when he could've got a tap in, if only he'd been on the move rather than standing still. Generally his work rate was low yesterday but he's a game changer and that goal was exceptional.

Both Igor & TWWW were guilty of not attacking the 6 yard box when Bulot drove in a tantalising ball, low & fast and that summed up an early lull in the game for a static CAFC, first half.

Bulot is really impressing in recent games and he has quality aplenty.
    He could be really important for us next season - hope he stays.

I'm a huge fan of Tony Watt but I watch his body language at times and he can slip into negative mode when he's not getting support and he seems particularly sensitive to lack of movement around him and when his team mates are not putting in a shift - nothing wrong with his motives but he needs to get his team mates to up their game, rather than letting it get to him.

• Simonsen said:

PL54 said:

How did TBH do ?

He did well. Had a bit of lunge for the penalty but otherwise he defended well and was back to his best.
    In fairness, whilst it was most certainly a penalty it wasn't really that poor a challenge, and the player probably would have been through if someone hadn't at least tried to tackle. Ben Haim misjudged it for sure but was entitled to at least try for the ball, hence the lack of booking I imagine.
  • If I was a Leeds fan, I'd feel robbed. We were second best for most of the game, with too many players appearing to be on the beach already.
  • If I was a Leeds fan, I'd feel robbed. We were second best for most of the game, with too many players appearing to be on the beach already.

they weren't robbed they were beaten by a better side who played badly for the first 45 but still came back from a goal down to win.
  • Of the 6 missing Leeds players, only 3 would have been expected to play. We had 2 players we would have expected to play on the bench!
  • agim said:

Have to say some fans have very short memories. Agreed Igor has been way off form recently but without his early season goals who knows where we'd be? Similar with Bulot, I'd written him off by Xmas but look what a change of manager and a few decent performances can do! It's a long old season, and we relied heavily on Igor for the first half of it which is now taking its toll.
    For me there's a fair bit of deadwood that needs shifting if we really want to compete next year. I hope RD invests again and gives Luzon a fair chance.

I can't imagine that JBG, Buyens and maybe even Bulot will want to stay next season unless they are given a clear sign by the management that we are going for promotion. Standard may be in the Champions league and JBG could get a transfer to a Premier league club here easily enough.

We have to show some ambition to stand any chance of keeping our best players ( and a large chunk of fans as well)
  • I suppose it will depend on whether Buyen or Bulot are in SL's plans. JBG will depend on any offers he gets - Premiership and we will have lost him. The Championship is a great shop window league and there is the chance of making a push next season and playing in the Premiership.
  • The performance yesterday was pretty poor, but hopefully would have helped Luzon with a few decisions he has to make at the end of the season. Igor looks shot, playing with an injury for so long hasn't helped, bet he can't wait for a break. I don't think Eagles works in a 4 man midfield, but he's a decent footballer and would work well in a 4-5-1, or as an option off the bench. Buyens and Bulot both improve the team, they've peaked recently and should only get better next year now they know the league.

If we can keep the current squad together and add another striker then we'll be very competitive next season. We have a player and decent reserve in most positions, but if anyone leaves they will need replacing with a player that will improve us. Will be interesting to see what happens to the like of Jackson/Moussa/Church/Harriott.

Thought the bench looked the strongest we've had in years.
  • The performance yesterday was pretty poor, but hopefully would have helped Luzon with a few decisions he has to make at the end of the season. Igor looks shot, playing with an injury for so long hasn't helped, bet he can't wait for a break. I don't think Eagles works in a 4 man midfield, but he's a decent footballer and would work well in a 4-5-1, or as an option off the bench. Buyens and Bulot both improve the team, they've peaked recently and should only get better next year now they know the league.

If we can keep the current squad together and add another striker then we'll be very competitive next season. We have a player and decent reserve in most positions, but if anyone leaves they will need replacing with a player that will improve us. Will be interesting to see what happens to the like of Jackson/Moussa/Church/Harriott.

I believe Church is the only one who will be out of contract at the end of June of the four you mention in your penultimate paragraph.

Jackson and Harriott could still have roles to play as squad players and Jackson as more than that. I'm not sure about Moussa though.
  • LenGlover said:

The performance yesterday was pretty poor, but hopefully would have helped Luzon with a few decisions he has to make at the end of the season. Igor looks shot, playing with an injury for so long hasn't helped, bet he can't wait for a break. I don't think Eagles works in a 4 man midfield, but he's a decent footballer and would work well in a 4-5-1, or as an option off the bench. Buyens and Bulot both improve the team, they've peaked recently and should only get better next year now they know the league.

I believe Church is the only one who will be out of contract at the end of June of the four you mention in your penultimate paragraph.

Jackson and Harriott could still have roles to play as squad players and Jackson as more than that. I'm not sure about Moussa though.
    I didn't mean there contracts as such, just that none of them have had much game time this year, through injury or being out of favour.

The only one I'd be disappointed to see go is JJ, more for what he offers us off the pitch than on it now. If we're looking upwards I think we need better than Church, Harriott and Moussa.
  • Sponsored links:

• LenGlover said:

The performance yesterday was pretty poor, but hopefully would have helped Luzon with a few decisions he has to make at the end of the season. Igor looks shot, playing with an injury for so long hasn't helped, bet he can't wait for a break. I don't think Eagles works in a 4 man midfield, but he's a decent footballer and would work well in a 4-5-1, or as an option off the bench. Buyens and Bulot both improve the team, they've peaked recently and should only get better next year now they know the league.

I didn't mean there contracts as such, just that none of them have had much game time this year, through injury or being out of favour.

The only one I'd be disappointed to see go is JJ, more for what he offers us off the pitch than on it now. If we're looking upwards I think we need better than Church, Harriott and Moussa.
    Although Moussa did not shine during his few appearances, I think its harsh to judge him on those performances and would like to give him a chance next season, under GL's management. Harriot I think to kick on needs to go and Churchy, needs to drop down one.
  • Kap10 said:

LenGlover said:

Although Moussa did not shine during his few appearances, I think its harsh to judge him on those performances and would like to give him a chance next season, under GL's management. Harriot I think to kick on needs to go and Churchy, needs to drop down one.
    Got to admit I was pretty pleased when we signed him, which is probably why I was quite disappointed when I watched him play. Looked a decent enough player but nothing seemed to quite go his way. Not quite sure where he would fit in our 4-4-2 system. See him as a similar kind of player to Eagles, in that he would suit a 4-5-1 better.

As you say he had limited game time so difficult to judge, wouldn't have been sad to see Bulot go before he came back from AFCON and now look at him!
  • That was my last game of the season so I'm pleased I signed off seeing them win.
  • Kap10 said:

LenGlover said:

Got to admit I was pretty pleased when we signed him, which is probably why I was quite disappointed when I watched him play. Looked a decent enough player but nothing seemed to quite go his way. Not quite sure where he would fit in our 4-4-2 system. See him as a similar kind of player to Eagles, in that he would suit a 4-5-1 better.

As you say he had limited game time so difficult to judge, wouldn't have been sad to see Bulot go before he came back from AFCON and now look at him!
    I agree. I was very disappointed with the decisions he made. He either tried to take on one player too many, or force a pass that could be easily intercepted.

But you make a good point. If we have Moussa for another year, why would we give Eagles a contract?
  • Kap10 said:

LenGlover said:

I agree. I was very disappointed with the decisions he made. He either tried to take on one player too many, or force a pass that could be easily intercepted.

But you make a good point. If we have Moussa for another year, why would we give Eagles a contract?
    Yes, we would probably only need one of the two, unless we were going to play 4-5-1 regularly (which I can't see).

Not much in it for me, would say Eagles has contributed in the games he has played, but Moussa is younger and ticks the Belgian box! Moussa would just sneak it, part of that being based on some of the goals he scored for Coventry!!
  • Mousa has been injured for most of the season - unlikely to leave because nobody will come in for him. Eagles is a good sub for me. Has good a few goals but his wages are going to be the biggy. I suspect we will make him an offer which he will refuse.
  • Mousa has been injured for most of the season - unlikely to leave because nobody will come in for him. Eagles is a good sub for me. Has good a few goals but his wages are going to be the biggy. I suspect we will make him an offer which he will refuse.

Yes, that would be my prediction also. On the other hand, if that money then goes towards giving (for example) JBG a pay rise to tempt him back for a little longer it would be money very well spent frankly, we've had several seasons of high turnaround in the squad personnel and eventually we have to get a settled core we can build on instead of starting from scratch each year. Moussa deserves a chance to at least show what he can do when fit for an extended period, Eagles may well sadly end up as collateral. Of all our wing/'flair' players he and Harriott would be the ones I'd be least sad to see the back of.

...before he comes back six weeks later to accept it after he can't get anything better elsewhere.

I have no idea what Chris or his agent expect/demand but I think the days of him being able to command anything like the £30k a week he was, allegedly, on at Bolton are gone forever. With FFP and his age, and the fact that he has had a few 'trials' and failed to impress mean that he might have to accept a fair bit less.

Having said that if his wages are modest and fit into our budget I would be happy to give him a year to see if he can offer something with a full pre-season under his belt. Otherwise I'm more than happy for him to see if he can earn big bucks elsewhere.
  • I think he would strengthen the squad rather than the first team, but that is fine. We should be strengthening the squad if we want to push on next year.
  • Sponsored links: