Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Leeds - post match views

Comments

• Poor for 70 mins bar the excellent Henderson. Game changer was the iceman with a great cross for the first goal and a fantastic run/shot that led to the pen.

• I thought it was an entertaining game with some good skills being shown by both teams... And a win to top it off
  • A wee bit off the pace in the first half, started 2nd hald well and it was starting to look like Leeds had parked the bus but great play from JBG and TWWW to shift it. And Yoni too.
  • From what I can remember from a particularly boozy day we were pretty dreadful for the first hour or so but our class players made the difference

I remember getting stick on here for slating Hamer this time last year but it is so good having a proper consistent keeper between the sticks.

We are 2/3 players short of a play off side and I really hope Wiggins discovers his mojo as Fox is in the Sturgess/Stuart level rather than the Minto/Barness level of home grown left backs for me
  • edited April 2015
    Crusty54 said:

It was Buyens who gave away the penalty not TBH.

A visit to spec savers is in order for I think
    Off_it said:

I have to say this was one of the most dismal home performances of the season, sorely devoid of energy or impetus. Even Solly had an error-strewn first half. All of our familiar failings revisited us: defensive clearances plonked fifteen yards forward and not a single midfielder there to collect; hospital passes within midfield; wild and wayward crosses; strikers not bothering to run off the ball or chase down defenders; inability to build up steam or momentum...

Is it really necessary, when 0-0 at home, to pull every single player back to defend corners? And we still take a yawning age over goal kicks: all the trooping sideways and hoof to a striker who can't win a ball in the air. Vetokele was frankly awful today, and I've thought this for several months now: simply unable to receive a pass or control the ball. Even Churchy puts in a more effective shift.

Let's face it: Leeds got mugged. But in our run of seven wins in nine games we did the necessary hard work to salvage a season that was going seriously awry; credit especially to Henderson and Watt - and Luzon, perhaps - while Cousins has matured admirably. Bournemouth will be a delirious promotion party; who is that man Kermorgant, scoring 15 goals and heading for the Prem but deemed "too old" by a certain Mr Duchatelet?

What a well balanced post.

Seriously, are you for real?

The first half was awful, sure. But you really think the whole thing overall was "dismal", "devoid of any energy or impetus", full of our "familiar failings", etc, etc.

You do know we won, don't you? But you still can't find one positive thing to say? Henderson's penalty save? Watt's goal? The fact we came from behind to win?

Jeez, I give up with some people, drowning as they are in a sea of abject misery and in a constant state of morbid disappointment.
    Ignore the attention seeker Off it.
  • Great support from Leeds, but absolutely loved it when we took the lead and give 'em the old 'your not singing anymore'!
  • Anybody else see Tony Watt arm raised calling for the ball just before he scored? Brilliant spot by JBG, superb volley showing great technique from Watt...all set up by a lovely ranging crossfield ball from Cousins to JBG in the first place. Got to be up there with a very impressive list of goals of the season this year.
  • No complaints here glorious afternoon, great set up and goal from JBG and Watt, a win, 60 points all in all considering where we were after the Watford game the turnaround has been unbeliveable. It only we can keep this group and add we can have a very good side next year.
  • edited April 2015
    Belatedly posting without reading.

Leeds supposedly in disarray yet a neutral would not have known in the first half as the only real semblance of desire and interest came from them. Eagles ran around to not much avail, presumably in a last gasp attempt to gain a contract for next season, but the rest of them, even the normally ultra consistent Solly, looked to be mentally elsewhere. The one moment of quality in the first half for me was a weighted flighted pass from Cousins which showed he is still developing. Other than that all Charlton offered was what appeared to be a deflected shot from (I think) Ben Haim which hit the woodwork and two corners which failed to pass the first defender. The inevitable Leeds goal duly arrived despite what should have been the wake up call of Henderson earlier brilliantly saving a penalty.

The second half started as more of the same and just as I remarked to the bloke next to me that I might leave early for only the second time in 50 years. At that moment the team (via JBG mainly) galvanised itself into some sort of action. The cynic might say bonuses were at stake and Tony Watt's volley for his goal was a beacon of quality amidst a morass of mediocrity. Other than that moment I found myself wondering, with his different hair style, whether the geezer in the 32 shirt had locked our Tone in the dressing room cupboard so muted was his performance in comparison to what he has shown previously. Igor then won us a slightly fortunate penalty (was the ref evening things up?) and Yoni, cool as ever, clinically despatched it.

Job done but the air of indifference remained as exemplified by the lack of tunnel jump at the end.

EDITED FOR INCOMPETENCE as pointed out by Bryan Kynsie.
  • Sponsored links:

• Don't wish to split hairs Len but I think you will find Leeds goal came before the second half started.
  • Don't wish to split hairs Len but I think you will find Leeds goal came before the second half started.

True!

That's what happens when you take a phone call in midpost.

Will edit later.
  • edited April 2015
    shirty5 said:

Poor for 70 mins bar the excellent Henderson. Game changer was the iceman with a great cross for the first goal and a fantastic run/shot that led to the pen.

What I love about football is how moments or inches (cue Kenneth Williams) can change a game and how a player is perceived. I'd forgotten how close Henderson was to conceding a goal when he kicked the ball against their forward (? Morrison) and how he would have been castigated on here, instead he made a great save from their penalty and almost saved the goal.

It's a beatiful game!
  • LenGlover said:

Don't wish to split hairs Len but I think you will find Leeds goal came before the second half started.

True!

That's what happens when you take a phone call in midpost.

Will edit later.
    Len, a man of your standing not to mention hair style should have an answer phone which should definitely be switched on on a Sunday afternoon :wink: .
  • Wasn't going to write anything because most of my thoughts were summed up on first page of this thread. But must agree with others that Leeds 'second team' had some good players on show and were unlucky not to go away with something. I was very taken by the number 2. He was very effective in the first half. I think it was his surging run which led to the penalty. Yoni was my man of the match. He was steady in the first half when we were being pushed back and great in the second with a couple of piecing passes, our first real effort on goal and of course the perfectly placed penalty. The iceman created the goals but I worry he was putting on a bit of a show with the close season in mind. Sort of 'this is what I can do, come and get me'. The summer months are going to be interesting to say the least.
  • Posting without reading!

Not a great performance if I'm honest but was broken up by moments of brilliance!
    Game started fairly slowly and fairly even! Few clear cut chances and both teams seemed reluctant to commit too many forward! I thought that Diarra and Buyens in the middle would be too slow, but Diarras added height and strength seemed to help!! And he did the shield the back four role really well! (For 12 mins) when cousins came on he worked hard in that role and also managed to get forward but I think we somehow lost some ballance by not having that genuine CDM!
    I was really impressed with the Ben Haim Gomez partnership! I wasn't sure it would work when I saw the line up! But their ability on the ball was helpful and allowed us to pass the ball around better! Gomez also played a couple of top notch through balls! His coolness on the ball and his confidence to change direction is unbelievable! He regularly does forwards chasing him down and has a good understanding with cousins who dropped in to cover him on a few occasions!
    the game settled down for a while and not much happened few chances on either side and it was becoming a bit of a turgid affair! Leeds grew into the game more than we did! There was no doubt over the penalty! Saw Henderson go over towards the bench and ask Ben Roberts which way it was going he checked a notebook and replied! And so it was saved.. and what a save it was!
    As for the goal to allow someone a volley from a corner is criminal! not sure who was marking him will have to check the replay (think it may have been solly) but should have been soo much tighter!
    We huffed and puffed for the last five mind of the half but didn't really create anything except a long range effort from Jordan that was straight at the keeper!

Second half! JBG needed to come on but should have been for vetokele and put Eagles behind watt! Igor had been poor all first half! Touch has gone and wasn't reading flick ons from the team and his work rate is down on where it usually is! We also needed someone who could drop deeper and receive the ball and help out in midfield as we were losing that battle! Eagles hadn't been great first half but he did have a few moments of brilliance!

We came out and really went for it for the first ten fifteen minutes! But nothing came of it and Leeds came back into the game! We saw less of the ball and we're forced deeper! Then one really good passing move that that must have included 25 passes (some backwards much to the covered ends horror) saw a shot fizz just wide! With that the crowd raised the volume and things started to improve! We had a few chances and one cross from igor where Watt should have done a lot better! But the goal came and we kept on the presure everything coming through JBG! Then igor followed up into the box got there before the keeper and brought a foul! Our penalty king stepped up and that was that! We kept the ball well after that and didn't sit back more than we had to! Job done but an average performance at best!

Why! Don't! You! Use! Full! Stops!!!!!!

:-)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It's the sound of the (grammar) police!!
  • The first half wasn't brilliant in football terms, but there was a bit of an altercation in the Lower West between a man and woman - he appeared to be strangling her at one stage and there was quite a lot of shouting between the two of them. She left the stand soon after but I couldn't hear what it was all about.

I thoroughly enjoyed the second half and was amazed to look at the clock on 84 minutes, thinking that only about fifteen minutes had elapsed. JBG certainly changed the game and I hope we don't sell him in the summer.
  • A poor and pretty lifeless first half from us, after which Leeds should have been a couple of goals to the good. Much better in the second half after the introduction of JBG, who really is different class at this level. Cousins also got stronger and stronger as the match wore on and really drove us on towards the end, alongside the excellent Yoni Buyens.

The front two are starting to worry me a little. Igor's confidence and ability to control a ball seem to be completely shot and TW was below his usual high standard. Maybe Tony's relative lack of games over the last two years are catching up with him and there was probably always going to be a dip after the adrenaline rush of establishing himself in the side. Still, they both delivered in the end and Tony's goal from JBG's sublime pass reminded me a bit of Di Canio's sensational volley for West Ham against Wimbledon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTsq5ZlTTeQ

Tony's wasn't quite at that level but, for me, it was worth the admission money alone. We need some genuine competition up front next year, but hopefully our two front men will come back refreshed next August after a good rest and a productive pre-season.

We popped into Crossbars afterwards for the proverbial 'quick pint' in order to let the first train or two go but ended up staying for the entire FA Cup semi-final. The bar staff need to start pouring pints at the final whistle or just before because it took some people an age to get served. That minor quibble aside, it was really good in there, with tasty real ale on sale at £3, so well done the club. The highlight was seeing Henderson, who had been voted Man of the Match, being pursued in the style of the Pied Piper by about twenty little kids/ankle biters, all of whom were in a state of great excitement. The infectious enthusiasm of youth - absolutely marvellous ! If only we could bottle it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Tony Watt needs to attack the six yard box a lot more. There were a number occasions yesterday when he could've got a tap in, if only he'd been on the move rather than standing still. Generally his work rate was low yesterday but he's a game changer and that goal was exceptional.

• edited April 2015
    Simonsen said:

Tony Watt needs to attack the six yard box a lot more. There were a number occasions yesterday when he could've got a tap in, if only he'd been on the move rather than standing still. Generally his work rate was low yesterday but he's a game changer and that goal was exceptional.

Mr Magic feet isn't a tap in merchant,
    I love to see strikers attack the six yard box.
    Also can Tony head the ball because recently Fox put a great
    cross in which Watt tried to kick instead of a stooping header which looked easier.
    If we can keep Tony focused, he really has smashing control of the football which takes up 2 defenders, freeing up other forwards.

Since the delayed introduction of Watt, HT against Norwich was when he cemented his place,we must of won about 8 games.

He was off the pace in the first half against Leeds, but livened up when his mate Johann came on.

• Stig said:

It was a pleasant enough day, but to watch the slow paced stroll around out on the pitch you'd have thought it was mid summer in Qatar. To be fair, both sides played some reasonable football in parts but little was hurried, and it was easy to see that neither side had anything but pride to play for. We put ourselves under some early pressure with some poor defensive clearances that landed just outside our box where Leeds picked up on them straight away. After we'd weathered that initial stage we passed it around a bit and although we didn't have as much possession as Leeds we looked as though we had more skill then them. We didn't look like we wanted it enough though and gave them the chances they needed. I thought the ref was very lenient on them for much of the afternoon; as usual Leeds fielded a side that looked like to was set up to take on Widnes or St Helens rather than South London's finest. Of the penalty, there can be few arguments, you rarely see one as clear cut as that. Super save from Hendo, which should have given us something to build on. This is Charlton though, and that would have been too easy.

As others have said the introduction of JBG gave us more direction and we started attacking with more confidence, at one point putting three crosses in in the space of a minute - though all of them missed the target men. Very well taken goal from Watt. No doubt about our pen - probably the best thing Igor did all afternoon and as ever confidently taken by Buyens.

There are few finer things in football than watching a team that's been merrily wasting as much time as possible, suddenly start running around frantically once the tables are turned. Sadly we never really got that. Leeds looked a little deflated yet a little unconcerned and despite getting hold of the ball a bit more didn't really do anything of note from that point on. So, almost by default from the point we got our second the result didn't look in doubt.

As for the Leeds fans, it pains me to say it, but they we're probably the noisiest Jimmy Seed occupants of the season. As much as they added to the atmosphere though, I can't say I like them one little bit. They are, after all, the archetypal loud mouthed Yarkshire gobshites and I, for one, am really glad they are heading north (or to Surrey as one of their flags said) with no points.

I'm not sure if I hear the words to that chant they sing correctly 'we are Leeds champions of Europe' or something to this affect. I'm a bit confused. Have they ever been champions of Europe? And even if they have, wasn't it an age ago? Why are they singing this?

I may have the words wrong though
  • edited April 2015
    Should sing "we are Leeds, runners up in Europe"
    Bridesmaid in both the European cup and the cup winners cup,
    and runners up in the top division 5 times as well.
    Did win the inter cities cup. plus 3 Football old 1st division titles including the last one.
    but always sounds more ironic when they sing that.
  • How did TBH do ?
  • PL54 said:

How did TBH do ?

He did well. Had a bit of lunge for the penalty but otherwise he defended well and was back to his best.
  • PL54 said:

How did TBH do ?

Had a steady game but his luck on not giving away a pen this season finally went after having at least 2 escapes so far.

Please hit Players marks to get a cross section of CL Views.

• edited April 2015

PL54 said:

How did TBH do ?

Had a steady game but his luck on not giving away a pen this season finally went after having at least 2 escapes so far.

Please hit Players marks to get a cross section of CL Views.

Will do

Where's @plentyofshots ?

Ignore, found at the bottom of the page
  • Have to say some fans have very short memories. Agreed Igor has been way off form recently but without his early season goals who knows where we'd be? Similar with Bulot, I'd written him off by Xmas but look what a change of manager and a few decent performances can do! It's a long old season, and we relied heavily on Igor for the first half of it which is now taking its toll.
    For me there's a fair bit of deadwood that needs shifting if we really want to compete next year. I hope RD invests again and gives Luzon a fair chance.