Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Leeds - post match views

Comments

• Posting without reading!

Not a great performance if I'm honest but was broken up by moments of brilliance!
    Game started fairly slowly and fairly even! Few clear cut chances and both teams seemed reluctant to commit too many forward! I thought that Diarra and Buyens in the middle would be too slow, but Diarras added height and strength seemed to help!! And he did the shield the back four role really well! (For 12 mins) when cousins came on he worked hard in that role and also managed to get forward but I think we somehow lost some ballance by not having that genuine CDM!
    I was really impressed with the Ben Haim Gomez partnership! I wasn't sure it would work when I saw the line up! But their ability on the ball was helpful and allowed us to pass the ball around better! Gomez also played a couple of top notch through balls! His coolness on the ball and his confidence to change direction is unbelievable! He regularly does forwards chasing him down and has a good understanding with cousins who dropped in to cover him on a few occasions!
    the game settled down for a while and not much happened few chances on either side and it was becoming a bit of a turgid affair! Leeds grew into the game more than we did! There was no doubt over the penalty! Saw Henderson go over towards the bench and ask Ben Roberts which way it was going he checked a notebook and replied! And so it was saved.. and what a save it was!
    As for the goal to allow someone a volley from a corner is criminal! not sure who was marking him will have to check the replay (think it may have been solly) but should have been soo much tighter!
    We huffed and puffed for the last five mind of the half but didn't really create anything except a long range effort from Jordan that was straight at the keeper!

Second half! JBG needed to come on but should have been for vetokele and put Eagles behind watt! Igor had been poor all first half! Touch has gone and wasn't reading flick ons from the team and his work rate is down on where it usually is! We also needed someone who could drop deeper and receive the ball and help out in midfield as we were losing that battle! Eagles hadn't been great first half but he did have a few moments of brilliance!

We came out and really went for it for the first ten fifteen minutes! But nothing came of it and Leeds came back into the game! We saw less of the ball and we're forced deeper! Then one really good passing move that that must have included 25 passes (some backwards much to the covered ends horror) saw a shot fizz just wide! With that the crowd raised the volume and things started to improve! We had a few chances and one cross from igor where Watt should have done a lot better! But the goal came and we kept on the presure everything coming through JBG! Then igor followed up into the box got there before the keeper and brought a foul! Our penalty king stepped up and that was that! We kept the ball well after that and didn't sit back more than we had to! Job done but an average performance at best!

Exhausting reading that... every sentence ending with an exclamation mark.
  • Typical end of season mid table match. Only really the arrival of JBG gave us any kind of spark at all and as others have said, we need to do everything possible to hold onto him, he's a difference maker, he even forced the keeper to spill his shot which resulted in Igor's winning of the penalty.

Both penaltys were correct decisions too.

Is Henderson the Buyens equivalent when it comes to penalties? Is it 2 out of 2 saves now?
  • It was entertaining and enjoyable. Leeds missed some good chances, we didn't. Great penalty save. Agree with others that Austin looked a decent player. Good support form the Yorkshiremen, not bad from ours for a game with nothing to play for.

See you in December...
  • I thought Leeds should have been out of sight by the time they scored.
    Worth turning up for the 20 mins. Nicely worked goal from Watt and sweetly taken penalty Buyens.
  • So good to see that the time wasting and cheating football from Leeds in the second half got its just reward.

Johnny B Good is just a delight to watch.
  • _MrDick said:

If we'regonna sign a couple of players in the close season, wouldn't mind taking a punt on the Leeds pair Austin and Morrison. Thought they were the standout players on display today. JBG made the difference for us in the second half and TWWW took his goal well. All in all, a typical end of season, nothing to play for Meh sort of match.

Agree was impressed by both
    Also agree, they would be good buys
  • edited April 2015
    Loved it after our first goal when our players were celebrating and Luzon shouted at them to get on with it and score another ...and then, when we did, started pushing them for a third ...he likes a good win does Guy :smiley:
  • Sponsored links:

• CAFCTrev said:

always great coming from behind.

As I said to my girlfriend last night....
    Lack of quality, atmosphere and caring is what my Mrs said to me
    Made some deep penetrating runs into the box though...
  • Very strange without a tunnel jump today
  • Lucky to win to be fair. Much better second half. No coincidence that we improved when Gudmundsson came on..
    Eagles was poor and Watt kept throwing himself to the ground but I can forgive him because of that goal.

Er; JBG crossed for the first goal and his run and shot led to the penalty,gamechanger
  • CAFCTrev said:

CAFCTrev said:

always great coming from behind.

As I said to my girlfriend last night....
    Lack of quality, atmosphere and caring is what my Mrs said to me
    Made some deep penetrating runs into the box though...
    Unable to keep a clean sheet though!

Foul in the box, too.
  • Sponsored links:

• 62 point target still on.

A game that constantly switched. Both we and Leeds had spells on top even in the first half.

2nd half we were much more aggressive, higher tempo as well and we had JBG.

Would be annoyed if I were a Leeds fan seeing them lose that but thats why they're bottom half. still had some decent players. would take Austin and Morrison.

i thought Igor looked much more on his game than recently albeit he missed a couple of good chances. He did win the pen though.

there is the basis of a decent side there.
  • Henderson is just a different class. Saved a penalty, and ALMOST saved the goal. If he had managed to put that over the bar, it would have been the save of the season.

Gomez. Wow! Just WOW! Won every header that came his way in the second half. Was immense. In no way looked out of place against a very experienced international captain. Interestingly, I think Roger Johnson will be happy with that performance. Makes you realise how good a leader he is on the pitch. His organisational looked sorely missed, especially in the 1st half.

Buyens took over midfield after the loss of Diarra. His drive and defensive efforts, along with the energy of Cousins, gradually wrestled the game away from Leeds. And then the surgical master came on for the second half, rather than the used car mechanic of the first half. Please can we keep JBG for another 4-5 seasons. I presume Guy was concerned about the circling vultures, which is why he was rested. Unfortunately, JBG only enhanced his reputation in the 50 minutes that he played.

Yet another top penalty from Yoni. He never looks like he will miss one.
  • Wss I hope your alright pal

Beating leeds may never be anything pretty but Is always pretty enjoyable
  • Buyens was really good today, he'll really turned things around under Luzon, lots of excellent, creative passes, and his defensive work is far better too, winning the ball back and not giving away silly fouls and bookings with tug backs
  • I know its a small thing but disappointed that there was no tunnel jump.
  • Kap10 said:

I know its a small thing but disappointed that there was no tunnel jump.

This! It has become a tradition. And sometimes, tradition is GOOD!
  • First half we were pretty poor going forward, though we did hit the post. Leeds missed a couple of good chances and the penalty but eventually found a way through from a corner.

I was happy with the team, a chance to see a bit more of Diarra in midfield, Eagles given a start on the right, Gomez continuing at CB. Shame to see Diarra go off injured and although Eagles obviously has decent ability on the ball I still don't think he's done enough to win another contract.

JBG made the difference with an assist and his shot leading to the penalty, would be great to keep him at least for another season with hopefully a stronger squad alongside him.

Watt and Igor didn't really have good games, but a goal and an assist each they did what you want strikers to do. Another day could have had another each. For a flair player Watt is almost being a bit too predictable. As he's so direct and always looking to turn players as run at them, teams are looking to make that much more difficult for him. The last few games I've seen it's rarely come off for him. He gets crowded out and at times outmuscled.

As for Igor he missed a good chance after Watt put him in. First half a ball was put across the box and he didn't anticipate, the kind of chance he might have scored in his good run.

Hopefully both will come back fitter next season and we'll have two new strikers to give them some genuine competition. At the moment they seem a bit tired and clearly there's no one that can take their place, aside from Church or a midfielder out of position for the odd game.

In the second half not long before we scored I still thought we could get back into the game. The way it had gone I never expected to win it. Once we had equalised though all it takes is one moment to change things and that's what happened with the penalty. JBG cutting inside to shoot, Leeds probably knowing that's what he was looking to do still couldn't stop him, and unlike the chance in the first half Igor was straight onto it and brought down.

I've not always rated him as highly as others but thought Buyens played well today. It'll be interesting to see if he stays, and if not, who we replace him with. I'm not convinced Cousins and Diarra will make a good partnership and it seems likely we'll be seeing less of Jackson next season.
  • JBG changed the game - it was good that he was left on the bench as it gave us a chance to appreciate what he brings to the party and how important he has been this season and will be in future seasons, God willing we keep him.

Great ball to Watt from JBG for the goal and a class finish from Tony.

Some good performances from Hendo, Buyens, Bulot, Gomez & Cousins.

It was remarkable how Watt & Igor found their mojo after JBG came on.
    Igor was up for it by the time he won the penalty, whereas before that he was like a lost soul.

Credit to Leeds, Neil Redfern and their supporters. Some decent football from Leeds and another day they might have got something from the game.