Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Leeds - post match views

edited April 2015 in General Charlton
Didn't seem like too many expected that turnaround. Credit to everyone, always great coming from behind. Who would hav thought a couple of months ago we would be 20 points clear of the drop zone?

Sounded like JBG made a difference when he come on. Look forward to hearing from those there today.

Comments

• I wasn't there unfortunately but from what I'm getting we are at least those elusive three players away from a secure top third spot. We shall see.
  • JBG turned that game around for us, with help from the ever great Henderson.
  • When we went forward usually it was due to decent skill from a player in tight situations. When they went forward they seemed to have acres of space. However no bad performances and good determination by Igor to win pen. Theirs looked like a dive.
  • JBG showed how vital he is to our squad. Henderson is absolute quality.... Love the guy

Just wish this fixture had been 20 games ago and I would have been absolutely buzzing right now. Not to take away from some very good fighting spirit from the lads though!!!
  • Terrible first half, thought we were much improved after half time.

JBG really made a difference, great goal from Watt.

Henderson MOM for me

Funniest moment was Fox's pass into the west lower (there surely can't be a bobble on that carpet of a surface!!)
  • JBG so good ...he could make all the difference next season.

Penalty saved and penalty scored made the difference today in a game we didn't really deserve to win.

Crowd and players only really got going in 2nd half.
  • Sponsored links:

• Terrific fight back .. shows that the team's not given up on the season
  • WSS said:

Boring as hell.

I knew you would miss me :-)

• Lucky to win to be fair. Much better second half. No coincidence that we improved when Gudmundsson came on..
    Eagles was poor and Watt kept throwing himself to the ground but I can forgive him because of that goal.
  • Coming from 0-1 to win 2-1 is great work. I take your point, though, it is frustrating to go to the effort of attending a match when the team don't seem to be trying hard. Hopefully next season I'll be able to undergo the matchday experience in person again. I have an interview next week and am going to be looking at rooms to rent, unless I am lucky enough to find a boat to live on. Then I will happily lash out on a season ticket.
  • edited April 2015
    Funniest moment was Fox's pass into the west lower (there surely can't be a bobble on that carpet of a surface!!)

Actually i was saying to my mate that the ball was bobbling all over the shop after they switchedit when some scummy northerners wouldnt give it back. They switched it agaiin soon after Fox's misplaced pass
  • CAFCTrev said:

always great coming from behind.

As I said to my girlfriend last night....
    Lack of quality, atmosphere and caring is what my Mrs said to me
  • If we're gonna sign a couple of players in the close season, wouldn't mind taking a punt on the Leeds pair Austin and Morrison. Thought they were the standout players on display today. JBG made the difference for us in the second half and TWWW took his goal well. All in all, a typical end of season, nothing to play for Meh sort of match.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2015
    _MrDick said:

If we'regonna sign a couple of players in the close season, wouldn't mind taking a punt on the Leeds pair Austin and Morrison. Thought they were the standout players on display today. JBG made the difference for us in the second half and TWWW took his goal well. All in all, a typical end of season, nothing to play for Meh sort of match.

Agree was impressed by both
  • edited April 2015
    PWR

We only drew with Fulham because we were kicking the wrong way, we beat Leeds because we were kicking the right way.
    It was a kind of cerebral game of football on reflection. For all of Leeds admirable work rate for the first hour, maybe by passing it around as much as we did tired their willing runners, and we had the fitness levels to end the game strongly. It was a game with a good referee, both penalty decisions were right, and there were two good goals scored to add to the occasion.
    Leeds were on top for most of the first half, however we hit the post with a scrambled effort following a corner, and then Henderson pulled out a great save from a well struck penalty, but Leeds scored with a lovely volley on the full from a corner shortly afterwards. Our first half might have been disrupted by the loss of Diarra early on, and Cousins took time to adjust, but grew into the game and was strong for us during the closing period.
    The second half introduction of JBG was the right decision and added a lot of zip to our play, we were getting frustrated by Leeds hard work, but finally a lovely cross was met excellently by TWWW who controlled his volley low and hard from a narrow angle.
    Our penalty shortly after was stupidly conceded, but was the right decision, but at that moment Leeds had more or less dealt with our attack, and could have cleared the ball with covering players.
    Yoni takes a mean penalty, and in the context of the first half miss by Leeds, and a chance to put us ahead it was still a pressure penalty and Yoni is clearly one of the best we have ever had at pens.
    It is hard to select an obviously best player. Henderson was very good, got a hand to their goal, and JBG had an excellent second half. The rest were nip and tuck, and it was more the team we were watching rather than individuals, average to good from most of them, and from Leeds too.
    Best away support by a distance I would add.
    However, by the ebb and flow of football I think we deserved to win, they deserved to lose because if you can't convert your penalties who is there to blame?
    Nice afternoon in the end.
  • Had some work to do this morning, when I finally got a chance to follow precedings, Watt's goal was just hitting the back of the net. Scared the hell out of the other volunteers after the penalty. From what I hear the bulk of the game wasn't pretty, but why should we care? 3 points is 3 points! That Hendo fellow seems quality, as does that Gudmundsson bloke
  • Agree with many others JBG made all the difference. Defence looked dodgy first half but were much improved in second.
  • edited April 2015
    Posting without reading!

Not a great performance if I'm honest but was broken up by moments of brilliance!
    Game started fairly slowly and fairly even! Few clear cut chances and both teams seemed reluctant to commit too many forward! I thought that Diarra and Buyens in the middle would be too slow, but Diarras added height and strength seemed to help!! And he did the shield the back four role really well! (For 12 mins) when cousins came on he worked hard in that role and also managed to get forward but I think we somehow lost some ballance by not having that genuine CDM!
    I was really impressed with the Ben Haim Gomez partnership! I wasn't sure it would work when I saw the line up! But their ability on the ball was helpful and allowed us to pass the ball around better! Gomez also played a couple of top notch through balls! His coolness on the ball and his confidence to change direction is unbelievable! He regularly does forwards chasing him down and has a good understanding with cousins who dropped in to cover him on a few occasions!
    the game settled down for a while and not much happened few chances on either side and it was becoming a bit of a turgid affair! Leeds grew into the game more than we did! There was no doubt over the penalty! Saw Henderson go over towards the bench and ask Ben Roberts which way it was going he checked a notebook and replied! And so it was saved.. and what a save it was!
    As for the goal to allow someone a volley from a corner is criminal! not sure who was marking him will have to check the replay (think it may have been solly) but should have been soo much tighter!
    We huffed and puffed for the last five mind of the half but didn't really create anything except a long range effort from Jordan that was straight at the keeper!

Second half! JBG needed to come on but should have been for vetokele and put Eagles behind watt! Igor had been poor all first half! Touch has gone and wasn't reading flick ons from the team and his work rate is down on where it usually is! We also needed someone who could drop deeper and receive the ball and help out in midfield as we were losing that battle! Eagles hadn't been great first half but he did have a few moments of brilliance!

We came out and really went for it for the first ten fifteen minutes! But nothing came of it and Leeds came back into the game! We saw less of the ball and we're forced deeper! Then one really good passing move that that must have included 25 passes (some backwards much to the covered ends horror) saw a shot fizz just wide! With that the crowd raised the volume and things started to improve! We had a few chances and one cross from igor where Watt should have done a lot better! But the goal came and we kept on the presure everything coming through JBG! Then igor followed up into the box got there before the keeper and brought a foul! Our penalty king stepped up and that was that! We kept the ball well after that and didn't sit back more than we had to! Job done but an average performance at best!
  • My first chance to see the Luzon team in the flesh. Thought I was going to be disappointed but a class finish from Tony Watt changed all that. JBG was the difference between the sides though, along with Henderson, whose clever throw out to JBG started the move that ended in the penalty.
    IF we could keep this team together and add a bit of cover I'd fancy us next season. IF, IF, IF... I can only hope RD is being told the same thing.

Hopefully he is taking note watching the stream
  • Really hope we at least keep this squad together. Think Buyens could be crucial to next year.