Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Leeds - post match views

Comments

• Lucky to get in today as I left my membership card at home. Leeds played well and Austin basically controlled most of the game. Their fans were surprisingly up for it! Ben Helm was lucky not to get sent off for the penalty as he was the last man. Fantastic save. Ex Millwall Morison gets his first goal in a long time - I knew he would. It took Cousins a while to get into the game. He was much sharper second half. Fox has improved. I though he played well and put in some good crosses. He had a tricky winger to mark as well. Impressed by Gomez and Watt. Eagles tried hard but he is easily beaten when defending. We improved in the second half. Watt's volley was great. He was funny shaking hands with the crowd after the goal and then booked. You just knew that Buyens would score his penalty. Typical end of season game but worth going. A bugger trying to get back to Waterloo.
  • It was a pleasant enough day, but to watch the slow paced stroll around out on the pitch you'd have thought it was mid summer in Qatar. To be fair, both sides played some reasonable football in parts but little was hurried, and it was easy to see that neither side had anything but pride to play for. We put ourselves under some early pressure with some poor defensive clearances that landed just outside our box where Leeds picked up on them straight away. After we'd weathered that initial stage we passed it around a bit and although we didn't have as much possession as Leeds we looked as though we had more skill then them. We didn't look like we wanted it enough though and gave them the chances they needed. I thought the ref was very lenient on them for much of the afternoon; as usual Leeds fielded a side that looked like to was set up to take on Widnes or St Helens rather than South London's finest. Of the penalty, there can be few arguments, you rarely see one as clear cut as that. Super save from Hendo, which should have given us something to build on. This is Charlton though, and that would have been too easy.

As others have said the introduction of JBG gave us more direction and we started attacking with more confidence, at one point putting three crosses in in the space of a minute - though all of them missed the target men. Very well taken goal from Watt. No doubt about our pen - probably the best thing Igor did all afternoon and as ever confidently taken by Buyens.

There are few finer things in football than watching a team that's been merrily wasting as much time as possible, suddenly start running around frantically once the tables are turned. Sadly we never really got that. Leeds looked a little deflated yet a little unconcerned and despite getting hold of the ball a bit more didn't really do anything of note from that point on. So, almost by default from the point we got our second the result didn't look in doubt.

As for the Leeds fans, it pains me to say it, but they we're probably the noisiest Jimmy Seed occupants of the season. As much as they added to the atmosphere though, I can't say I like them one little bit. They are, after all, the archetypal loud mouthed Yarkshire gobshites and I, for one, am really glad they are heading north (or to Surrey as one of their flags said) with no points.
  • Stig said:

It was a pleasant enough day, but to watch the slow paced stroll around out on the pitch you'd have thought it was mid summer in Qatar. To be fair, both sides played some reasonable football in parts but little was hurried, and it was easy to see that neither side had anything but pride to play for. We put ourselves under some early pressure with some poor defensive clearances that landed just outside our box where Leeds picked up on them straight away. After we'd weathered that initial stage we passed it around a bit and although we didn't have as much possession as Leeds we looked as though we had more skill then them. We didn't look like we wanted it enough though and gave them the chances they needed. I thought the ref was very lenient on them for much of the afternoon; as usual Leeds fielded a side that looked like to was set up to take on Widnes or St Helens rather than South London's finest. Of the penalty, there can be few arguments, you rarely see one as clear cut as that. Super save from Hendo, which should have given us something to build on. This is Charlton though, and that would have been too easy.

As others have said the introduction of JBG gave us more direction and we started attacking with more confidence, at one point putting three crosses in in the space of a minute - though all of them missed the target men. Very well taken goal from Watt. No doubt about our pen - probably the best thing Igor did all afternoon and as ever confidently taken by Buyens.

There are few finer things in football than watching a team that's been merrily wasting as much time as possible, suddenly start running around frantically once the tables are turned. Sadly we never really got that. Leeds looked a little deflated yet a little unconcerned and despite getting hold of the ball a bit more didn't really do anything of note from that point on. So, almost by default from the point we got our second the result didn't look in doubt.

As for the Leeds fans, it pains me to say it, but they we're probably the noisiest Jimmy Seed occupants of the season. As much as they added to the atmosphere though, I can't say I like them one little bit. They are, after all, the archetypal loud mouthed Yarkshire gobshites and I, for one, am really glad they are heading north (or to Surrey as one of their flags said) with no points.

Yes, forgot to mention earlier, the 1st half had a worrying end of season feel we always used to get under Curbs. All changed once JBG came on.
  • If we had finished with a draw today not sure we could be beaten on the Championship draw pole so good to win so we might still be caught.
  • edited April 2015
    Our players didn't really care and still won. Shows how bad Leeds are along with their fans who haven't made any noise at home the last few seasons I've been but give it the big'un until going silent when we equalise. JBG made a big difference. Quality pass for a good Watt finish. But overall we just looked lacklustre and poor. Few players had decent steady performances but attacking wise we weren't as up for it as dirty Leeds. Ah well just waiting to see what happens in the summer and its now all about next season....and finishing above the massive(twats).
  • Thought it was a decent game for the neutral. Leeds were very good in the first half and going in 1- nil wasn't too bad. Without being at our glittering best, I think we were the better side in the second half and just needed that first. All in all, not a terrible game, and a decent win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ref was a bit of jobsworth for book Watt for only high fiving a few fans.

No he booked him for leaving the field of play to celebrate which is a yellow card no questions asked. Yes it's pathetic but he deserved to be booked. He knew it and he didn't care.
  • DRAddick said:

Ref was a bit of jobsworth for book Watt for only high fiving a few fans.

No he booked him for leaving the field of play to celebrate which is a yellow card no questions asked. Yes it's pathetic but he deserved to be booked. He knew it and he didn't care.
    Richie of Bournemouth ran into the crowd after his goal, didn't get booked.
    Was surprised that TBH wasn't booked for his tackle that resulted in the pen.
  • Just seen TWWW's goal on FLS. What a cracking volley.
  • DRAddick said:

Ref was a bit of jobsworth for book Watt for only high fiving a few fans.

Richie of Bournemouth ran into the crowd after his goal, didn't get booked.
    Was surprised that TBH wasn't booked for his tackle that resulted in the pen.
    Irrelevant. Richie not being booked was the wrong decision. Because a ref in a different game makes a bad decision doesn't mean other decisions have to stay the same. By the letter of the law Watt should have been booked and he knew it and he didn't care.
  • Just seen TWWW's goal on FLS. What a cracking volley.

The Ball from Johann was sublime.
    The volley from Tony was Fantastic.
    Our 2 flair players combined.
    Beautiful Football.
    From The Left footed Wizard to Mr Magic Feet.
    Love it.

• We must be doing okay if we're winning and folk are still moaning about the performance
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2015
    brogib said:

We must be doing okay if we're winning and folk are still moaning about the performance

Exactly. We had a bad first half, some good spells in the second and we beat Leeds after coming from behind.
    No complaints from me.
  • Crusty54 said:

It was Buyens who gave away the penalty not TBH.

No it was definitely TBH, he came and thanked Hendo afterwards. It was a definite penalty, but I can see why he didn't get booked as he was going for the ball and the Leeds player had such a burst of speed there was no intent. Wasn't the last man either. Wasn't a great penalty kick from Leeds, but it still had to be saved. An eventful match, glad we woke up after JBG came on. Glad we won as well, Leeds were the noisiest away contingent I've heard all season and I enjoyed the "who needs Italians" after they scored, but not as much as "you need Italians" after we took the lead. Small things I know. Only one more home game, what am I going to do till August?

• edited April 2015
    End of season stuff livened up by the atmosphere created by the visitors. We were awful first half and could have been two or three down but I enjoyed the comeback. Lots of foreigners around me adorned with charlton regalia. Spent most of the game chatting and laughing paying little attention. Wonder how they got in with the restricted sale.

Something felt a little strange yesterday. Our lads didn't look all that up for it, no tunnel jump, TWWW first down the tunnel instead of waiting around to milk the crowd. Maybe all just coincidental but a bit strange.

A few things were proven today for me:

1. Eagles is not worthy of a new contract. Get rid please.

2. JBG is absolutely the rock on which this team must be built. He must be kept assuming he wants to stay.

3. Bulot and Buyens are very important too and likewise should be kept so long a they want to be here.

4. Our yoof is really heartening and the defence should be built around Gonez next year. Hats off to Fox who continues to mature and has learned how to cross

5. Hendo, my POTY, just shows how vitally important a class keeper is.

6. I'm moving from being concerned and worried about Igor to not being fussed if we let him go. Not the player I thought he was going to turn into.

7. Assuming that all of the above come true it will be interesting to see whether there is any second season syndrome for our better players. JBG, TW, Bulot etc were all unknown quantities this year. They will not take anyone by surprise next time round. By the second half yesterday the defenders had sussed TW's "trick" i.e. the turn inside and run. Testament to his ability that he won out a few times but defenders will be ready for him next season.

8. Big clear out required of dead wood and I include a few favourites in that.

Looking forward to Bournemouth. A game that means something.
  • Off_it said:

I have to say this was one of the most dismal home performances of the season, sorely devoid of energy or impetus. Even Solly had an error-strewn first half. All of our familiar failings revisited us: defensive clearances plonked fifteen yards forward and not a single midfielder there to collect; hospital passes within midfield; wild and wayward crosses; strikers not bothering to run off the ball or chase down defenders; inability to build up steam or momentum...

Is it really necessary, when 0-0 at home, to pull every single player back to defend corners? And we still take a yawning age over goal kicks: all the trooping sideways and hoof to a striker who can't win a ball in the air. Vetokele was frankly awful today, and I've thought this for several months now: simply unable to receive a pass or control the ball. Even Churchy puts in a more effective shift.

Let's face it: Leeds got mugged. But in our run of seven wins in nine games we did the necessary hard work to salvage a season that was going seriously awry; credit especially to Henderson and Watt - and Luzon, perhaps - while Cousins has matured admirably. Bournemouth will be a delirious promotion party; who is that man Kermorgant, scoring 15 goals and heading for the Prem but deemed "too old" by a certain Mr Duchatelet?

What a well balanced post.

Seriously, are you for real?

The first half was awful, sure. But you really think the whole thing overall was "dismal", "devoid of any energy or impetus", full of our "familiar failings", etc, etc.

You do know we won, don't you? But you still can't find one positive thing to say? Henderson's penalty save? Watt's goal? The fact we came from behind to win?

Jeez, I give up with some people, drowning as they are in a sea of abject misery and in a constant state of morbid disappointment.
    Agreed, mate. Some of our "supporters" are only happy when they are miserable.

Mind you, this guy reads like a Bournemouth supporter, not a Charlton one!
  • vffvff
    edited April 2015
    I was thinking about posting but then read Chris Powell's Flat Cap, which alongside great contributions on the thread, says it all. So will spare you the repetition.

http://chrispowellsflatcap.com/2015/04/18/icemans-impact-downs-leeds/

Just want to add it is always great to beat Leeds. After the roller coaster of the season in terms of form, it is important to end on a positive note. The turnaround victory against Leeds helps that along nicely.
  • Nice twist second half to an end of season game.
  • Strange game for me.We were second best in the first half, and although we played better in the second half I left the Ground more in reflection than celebration. When I was thinking about the game on the Coach, I realised tha I had just seen three excellent goals, and one of the best penalty saves ever. I cannot wait to see what we are able to do in the Summer.