Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

"Arsenal are among a host of Premier League clubs watching Joe Gomez"

1235»

Comments

• colin1961 said:

What these papers are forgetting is
    He is under contract and the player does not want to leave

So what does Charlton do simple anyone wants him the price is 15 mill plus add ons for future transfer and England caps , plus loan back for 12 months plus a player on loan

Who knows what the player wants, whether he wants to leave, stay for one for year, or stay until he is 35 and break the club appearance record?
  • What he wants now and what he wants if and when someone waves 30k p/w under his nose - may well be two different things.
  • Lets hope its written into his contract that the club get him a cake on his birthday or he could throw a Yaya type strop.
  • iaitch said:

Arsenal loaned out Jenkinson who has looked ok in the Premiership and then played Chambers at right back who looked awful every time I saw him, slow, out of position and always seemed to pick up a booking.

It's a fact of life that Calum Chambers is always either booked or in the process of being booked
  • A week ago I was saying how there was no way he was going to leave, 7 days later i genuinely feel like he is going to leave this summer. A bit dramatic I know. If we got £15mill but no loan back that wouldn't be good enough. For me it is imperative we get him back on a loan for at the very least a season. I'm going to be fuming if we don't.

Christ modern football really can be depressing at times like these.
  • Not sure us losing top young talent to top flight clubs at an early age is a particularly modern phenomenon.

How old were Paul Elliot, Paul Walsh and Lee Bowyer when they left us? From memory I think they were all about the same age as Gomez or only a touch older.

Robert Lee and Parker stuck around a bit longer but we also played top flight football for at least some of their time at the club. The only young player of Gomez's quality who really stuck around in the last 30 years was Rufus and again, his rise to prominence coincided with the club own rise through the league and arguably, as much as we all adored the Roof, he was possibly a notch below Joe's potential level.

We hung onto plenty of other youngsters, but the ones I've named above were the ones who were good enough to go onto play for teams in the top half of the top division and also England and they all left sooner rather than later, unfortunately.

• Not sure us losing top young talent to top flight clubs at an early age is a particularly modern phenomenon.

How old were Paul Elliot, Paul Walsh and Lee Bowyer when they left us? From memory I think they were all about the same age as Gomez or only a touch older.

Robert Lee and Parker stuck around a bit longer but we also played top flight football for at least some of their time at the club. The only young player of Gomez's quality who really stuck around in the last 30 years was Rufus and again, his rise to prominence coincided with the club own rise through the league and arguably, as much as we all adored the Roof, he was possibly a notch below Joe's potential level.

We hung onto plenty of other youngsters, but the ones I've named above were the ones who were good enough to go onto play for teams in the top half of the top division and also England and they all left sooner rather than later, unfortunately.

Certainly with Elliot and Walsh we were in desperate need of money.

Bowyer made 50 games and we were offered 4 million.

Money talks I'm afraid.
  • Hmmm...the big difference now is that we have a billionaire owner who does not have to sell, plus Joe still has a 2 year contract.
    Take into account that Joe has not quite established himself as the first choice centre back and needs games at this level to develop so he does not have to move to improve just yet.
    The only downer is what Shooters Hill Guru said; is RD willing to pay our young pup 20k a week to stay? Otherwise we get a disillusioned Joe dreaming about the money he could be getting.
  • Chambers went for £12m before the new Sky deal, he is a FB who are worth less and was never going to be a shoe-in International. Joe is and as mentioned above is potentially the next Rio and world class CB. Selling now would be madness.
  • If it was just about money I expect he'd have gone by now.

Remember this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2226277/Liverpool-Chelsea-lead-chase-Charlton-wonderkid-Joe-Gomez-defender-set-star-England.html

First time he was properly linked with anyone and that was 2.5 years ago. People have been aware of him for years. Just a feeling but I think he'll at least be here until January.
  • Sponsored links:

• iaitch said:

I always thought Rufus was good but not quite top class, he probably stayed with us because the big clubs didn't rate him.

I don't think that I have seen a better CB than Rufus for us. Maybe Elliott. Rufus had it all apart from distribution. Even then he should have had a shout at England in my opinion.
  • Well I suppose a bidding war is good for us. Still depressing though.
  • Jenks was clearly PL quality from the first time I saw him in a pre season friendly. Classy player, good on the ball, tall, fast. We gave him away on the cheap. Arsenal then took Ajayi for free as we inexplicably only offered him 6 months and nicked our young keeper.

Gomez is total class. With the new TV money and some examples of other Champ players going for big bucks we must max out in the lad if he does go.

By that I reckon £10M min, add ons, loan back, loan of other players to us etc.

Having said that, I would rather see him play a full season for us next year than take any money whatsoever.
  • Walcott came out and said Arsenal have been the best team in Europe in 2015. I appreciate this isn't Gomez related but I just wanted to flag it as to what a delusional club they really are. Is he nuts? Even if they have statistically (they haven't btw), what the fcuk does it even mean? Ridiculous statement
  • 8 mil 10 mil 20 mil some of you are mad. This is Charlton for goodness sake.

It will be more down the lines of 1.1 mil plus an extra 250 k when he makes 10 appearances then another 250 when he plays for England and 1% sell on clause.
  • colin1961 said:

What these papers are forgetting is

I don't think "the papers" are forgetting anything. Because they don't know anything much in the first place. The can print any old dross they like with nothing to substantiate it other than they've seen a scout from one team at another team's game.
    It's all speculation.
  • A lot of the papers are saying it's practically a done deal.

Personally I think it's tosh...
  • Nicholas said:

8 mil 10 mil 20 mil some of you are mad. This is Charlton for goodness sake.

It will be more down the lines of 1.1 mil plus an extra 250 k when he makes 10 appearances then another 250 when he plays for England and 1% sell on clause.

maybe before but I don't think that will be the case now. RD has already shown with the Delort saga that he isn't going to be messed about and he's not exactly on skid row so I think he'll be prepared to play hard ball and with Joe under contract for at least two more years, maybe three if the clause is in our favour, I don't think he'll be in a rush to sell to the first bidder unless the price is right.

• Sponsored links:

• Rufus was the best man marker in the country for a time and England managers missed out on this because they were too blinkered. If you analyse England’s demise in tournaments, it is usually the star player that does for us because we don’t do anything special to stop him. Rufus was made for that job. I think if he had played for England we would have lost him though. For me, the greatest Charlton player I have seen play.